Elite: Dangerous is seriously underrated

So you are saying the Elite FORUM is seriously underrated? Well I'm hooked, and I don't even do social media that much!
Me too. Tho I may have gone too far with one (or more, probably more knowing me!) of my comments - I got a warning for "flaming" but no example of whatever it was that I said. Someone please enlighten me!

I think it's cute when they stay; there's a few of them who quit playing years ago and still lurk around shaking salt. Like a reverse team mascot, really. Personally I'd probably just go play one of the hundreds of other games available, but Elite: Forum is actually pretty good independent of the spaceship stuff.

I can't speak for other people, but for me ARGUING about space games is nearly as much fun as PLAYING space games. Who knew?

If I were on a desert Island and could take only one game with me, it would probably be ED.

But I don't think it's underrated. I remember when I first started playing this game I was so thrilled, I tried to convince others about how awesome it was. But a lot of people said it was boring and grindy. At the time I didn't understand what they meant. Now I do.

It's not underrated because it's very niche. Only a certain type of person is willing to invest the time and effort it takes to figure out how to play this game. It's just not intuitive in terms of design. It requires way too many external videos and websites to figure out what to do. Engineering upgrades, Guardian upgrades are just plain convoluted. Only a certain niche are willing to put up with all of that.

ED falls far short of its potential but it's the only space sim out there. The ships and galaxy are amazing. The gamplay not so much. That's why we have so many members who seem to hate the game yet haven't left. It's a love hate relationship due ot the disparity between these awesome ships and vast galaxy and the very repetitive and shallow gameplay.

Lately, I've been enjoying the game more and playing more than ever. Again, it's the one game I would take with me on a desert island.

I once got an infraction for trolling when I was quite clearly flaming! I very nearly wrote to complain :mad:
Still have no idea what "flaming" is, I guess it was something bad tho!

If I were on a desert Island and could take only one game with me, it would probably be ED.

But I don't think it's underrated. I remember when I first started playing this game I was so thrilled, I tried to convince others about how awesome it was. But a lot of people said it was boring and grindy. At the time I didn't understand what they meant. Now I do.

It's not underrated because it's very niche. Only a certain type of person is willing to invest the time and effort it takes to figure out how to play this game. It's just not intuitive in terms of design. It requires way too many external videos and websites to figure out what to do. Engineering upgrades, Guardian upgrades are just plain convoluted. Only a certain niche are willing to put up with all of that.

ED falls far short of its potential but it's the only space sim out there. The ships and galaxy are amazing. The gamplay not so much. That's why we have so many members who seem to hate the game yet haven't left. It's a love hate relationship due ot the disparity between these awesome ships and vast galaxy and the very repetitive and shallow gameplay.

Lately, I've been enjoying the game more and playing more than ever. Again, it's the one game I would take with me on a desert island.
I am totally addicted. Spent the whole morning trying to figure out mining, getting the hang of it, but need to figure out where the good stuff is, not gonna get rich mining nothing but water and lithium hydroxide! Still I havn't died for almost a whole day so that's an improvement on the previous 24 hours!

I think it's cute when they stay; there's a few of them who quit playing years ago and still lurk around shaking salt. Like a reverse team mascot, really. Personally I'd probably just go play one of the hundreds of other games available, but Elite: Forum is actually pretty good independent of the spaceship stuff.
I like the salt shakers, they make me look less like a grumpy Gus and more like a positive, constructive person, which is what I want to be when I grow up!

Flaming is being abusive. Trolling is (roughly speaking) causing arguments.

Aha, that explains it. I did call someone an idiot for abusing a noob who was looking for some advice. My bad!

I never said you weren't allowed in the forums.
I was simply questioning why you have to try and ruin other peoples enjoyment in things.
I could answer that question but then I would be warned again, maybe get in trouble this time!

This is one of the things I like about Elite. I can pick some random "backwater" system to make my home, I can support and even change the political and economic state of that system, and over time I'll experience real, deterministic astronomical events, whether it simple things like planetary outposts coming out of the shadows into the light, or more pronounced things like cool planetary alignments, eclipses, etc. And on rare occasion, I might see a CMDR pass through "my" system, and that thrills me way more than seeing 20 CMDRs at ShinDez.

Yep, I love this game! I just hate the bugs and wish Frontier would finish cooking all the half-baked aspects.

I agree. The strength of Elite is it's timescale on which things evolve. Its strength is that it actually simulates our galaxy.

I took me 2000 hours to join a player faction. I love that expending and defending the presence in a system or stations is actually quite a lot of work. Not necessary the most adventurous all the time but in a way if you commit to be part of a group something very rewarding.

Same for Powerplay. Political power change is slow not easy and only possible through some effort.

I actually think that Elite Dangerous is heavily Overrated.

Dont get me wrong there.
Its nice that the Ship in this Game can effectively go wherever it wants.

But if everything is the same with little to nothing to do where you go.
Then the whole Deal is Off.

Elite Dangerous tries to be a Gigantic Sandbox.
But the Box is the Size of Public Swimming Pool. While the Sand in it is barely enough to Fill a Bathtube...

Thats what they got by having the whole thing Random Generated.
A Random Generated World can be Endless in Size. But as anything Generated by it is Limited by the Parameters you Input into the Random Generator. You will end up with an Endless World that is more or less the same wherever you go.

Thats why using a World Generator is only useful when you use it to Create a Base for the World and then Fill that World with Handcrafted Elements that make each part of it Unique.
But in ED this is Impossible. The Generated World is just too Large for anyone to even Dream about Filling it with Handcrafted Elements and making each part Unique. Even Dreaming about just making 1% of the World Unique by Handcrafting Content for it would be entirely Insane.

For Elite Dangerous the only way to be an Interesting Game is to Abandon the World and instead Focus on Ships and Empire Building.
Player Owned Stations, Fleets and Clans, Proper Wars about Territory instead of Generic Conflict Zones, Fleshed out Planets including Planetary Settlements and Proper World Design, Larger Ships that are more than Oversized Fighters, Proper Crew Mechanics, Ship Interior and Space Legs, Proper Ground Vehicles, Proper and more Diverse Weapon Systems which are not Defaulted to 1 out of 3 Systems.

Instead of Focusing on the World. Where even 20 Years of Work will remain a Droplet in the oversized Bucket. They should Try and Improve the Detailed Systems of the Game to Give Players something to do in this Sandbox.
This Oversized but Empty World is the First Time in History that a Game actually has a World where it could Allow Players and Clans to Own entire Star Systems and Stations in a Multiplayer Game. Without having to Worry that the Game World will be Spammed to Death by Player Owned Structures due to there being too many Player Structures in a too Small World.

But FD isnt doing any of this.
FD instead is absolutely Determined to Focus on their Giant Dead World Instead. And keep adding Fractions of Droplets to the Bucket hoping that one day they might reach a Droplet Big enough make a difference.

And thats why this Game is Overrated.
Everyone tries to Sell this Game by mentioning its Gigantic World.
While Leisurely Ignoring that this World is basicly just a Gigantic Piece of Copypasted RNG Solar Systems which ultimately all look roughly the same after a month or two playing this Game.
What you're talking about is EVE, ED will never be that. That being said, it sure as hell needs fleshing out for damn sure

I spent a lot of time in a bit similar game (its sandbox in space) called Empyrion. Difference between Elite and Empyrion is building of your own stuff from blocks, that means once you arrive into system, you land on planet, build your base usually in effort to mine resources to capture more territory and be able to engage in PvP war. You have to establish defenses, gather more pilots and such if you want to succeed. Sadly game is developed by very small studio, its buggy and they pretty much messed it up...but idea behind is amazing and so enjoyable (planetary landings, flora, fauna, aliens, bases, PvP, loot, space battles, capital ships...most of this you can build or use bla bla)

After this I find it hard to feel like Elite is dynamic. It feels to me like very static universe where all important things happened on Thursday. Don't get me wrong, I know about BGS etc, but it feels like what you can achive is that station controlling faction is different, that's it. If Ill fly through system where you BGS guys finaly won, I wont even notice something was going on there. From my perspective it will be the same system as on start.

I miss building our own production facilities a bit like in X series, I miss building military outpost to close areas of space and war over them etc. I see many places where this would be so cool like Navy ranks/Power Play where orders are given by Superpowers and players go and join the war.

I want to see Federation burned down. Stations destroyed, Feds in slavery. Empty place in space full of wreckages of ships, stations, scavengers. I want to see them run into deep space, hiding there, building up their economy again, manufacturing fleets again, coming for revenge.

Then I want more of them enslaved again.

Until Ill see this it will never be sandbox, it will be just hardcoded, defined playground where you are allowed to touch some crumbs. Even that is still pretty good but only because theres not game allowing what I described. Maybe EVE but that's different story.

Any chances that Ill see something like this in Elite?

Btw after 5k hours of strictly insane PvP war in Empyrion where battles took even 24 hours and we had to switch as we have to work or sleep I somehow don't even try to do PvP in Elite. From what I see its only about dogfighting, I would gladly do that but in CQC, but somehow I cant find my ships there in menu, probably bug :D

Last edited:
I always liken Elite D to a project that someone wanted to prove to themselves that they had the technical skills to reproduce the milky way using a random generating engine. (Would have made a great final project for a masters degree in programming) Now that they proved it could be done they now are faced with the problem: How on Earth can I fill this with an actual game. All I say is good luck with that.

But what I like so much about this game that it is constantly evolving and the dev's must listen to us because I posted this in 2017 and it seems they have delivered on this. I am really impressed!

FD can I have a billion credits for my idea please :)

Apr 4, 2017

Any chance of mega ships that are constantly moving around systems which you can dock and depart from? A Galactic bus service or sorts? I think explorers would love this. Or is this in the new patch? thanks

Last edited:
Who's with me commanders o7

m6szYL5.jpg

Source: https://youtu.be/-Et5Ivi_yIg

Source: https://youtu.be/Vz3nhCykZNw

The Stellar Forge predicted the discovery of Trappist-1.

You've created an amazing thread, Commander: only 84 (approx) responses and over 6,000 views ! How did you manage that !! ? 🤩

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Are you not able to make a reasonable assumption of the definition?

If you do, without knowing a bit more, you could be jumping to conclusions.

Every time I have seen similar discussions, each player comes up with its own definition, and most of them vary. Competition can be defined not only on specific features but also on audience, money access, more generally game theme, and a large etc of other dimensions.

Elite certainly has competition. Maybe not just the one that OP is thinking of, or very personally defining.

So before trying to jump to conclusions with a randomly chosen "definition" I prefer to understand better where the poster is coming from.

If you do you without knowing a bit more you could be jumping to conclusions.

Every time I have seen similar discussions, each player comes up with its own definition, and most of them vary. Competition can be defined not only on specific features but also on audience, money access, more generally game theme, and a large etc of other simensions.

There is certainly competition for Elite. Maybe not just the one that OP is thinking of, or very personally defining.

So before trying to jumpo to conclusions with a randomly chosen "definition" I prefer to understand better where the poster is coming from.
What's wrong with the guy just giving an opinion? If you want to justify your own opinion go ahead, others don't need to endlessly justify theirs.

Top Bottom