I was right, you were wrong

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Indeed it does. Thanks, @Paige Harvey !

I've seen this happen a few times now, and when I am 'tagged' I even get a notification. Do you just type it manually or is there some trick to it, @Robert Maynard?

edit: Ha, I think it worked! Well done @Ian Skippy! :p
giphy.gif

TL;DR – Games development is constantly in flux and features constantly change. Showing off information early leads to misinformation and potential disappointment. There’s also a lot more to releasing info than simply putting a post on the internet.

We hope this information helps explain the situation a little!
Awesome response Paige. We are eagerly awaiting more information but it is important to note that information from a publicly traded company cannot appear freely. Unless the CEO is Elon Musk...

That’s a good question!

While we’d love to tell you everything as we find it out, the reality is that we need to show things when they’re ready, and in the best shape possible. Every single feature, in every single game, goes through multiple iterations, bug tests and redesigns before they’re released to the public. As such, if a company were to release all the information they have, you’d end up with a lot of convoluted and eventually incorrect content.

We know it’s exciting to get a sneak peek at things in development, but as mentioned, things change and when that has to happen, we wouldn’t want to let anyone down. You also have to understand that you can’t just speak about a feature, you have to show it. That requires development time to teach the feature, tech time to set up the build, creative services time to make images and videos and community time to design a release plan and get that information out.

To do all that for information which will change very quickly doesn’t make a lot of sense. So, in order to make sure that what we present to you is as correct as possible, sometimes we have to hold our secrets to our chest and ensure it’s right before we show it off to you all.

TL;DR – Games development is constantly in flux and features constantly change. Showing off information early leads to misinformation and potential disappointment. There’s also a lot more to releasing info than simply putting a post on the internet.

Finally.

THIS is exactly the kind of answers and information you should give us more often Paige :) Thanks for that !

I mean, we're not game devs so it helps us getting the bigger picture and understand the situation.

That being said, I still think that it would be possible & beneficial for the game & player base to share more information without going into 1h gameplay footage of a build version of what you're working on. You were doing it in the early days of ED so why did you stop ?

Devs from other games I play are giving sneak peeks, talks about what they are working on and cleary state that it is subject to change and the overall reaction even when plans are changing is very positive from the community because they knew the process the devs went through and why they did it.

I think that keeping everything secret and not explaining anything is creating more misinformation and disappointment than the other way around.

o7

I know that there is the eb and flow when it comes to development. I think the main issue for people is whether the Carriers are planned to arrive before the 2020 update or as part of the 2020 update.

Ah, i see, ok. Good luck with grinding playing 3D infinite emptiness open world space engine game.
Those who deny critics, are fated to stagnate in backwater.

I am not 'denying' you anything, but thanks all the same. There isn't much to say anymore anyway, Paige Harvey worded it quite eloquently.

That’s a good question!

While we’d love to tell you everything as we find it out, the reality is that we need to show things when they’re ready, and in the best shape possible. Every single feature, in every single game, goes through multiple iterations, bug tests and redesigns before they’re released to the public. As such, if a company were to release all the information they have, you’d end up with a lot of convoluted and eventually incorrect content.

We know it’s exciting to get a sneak peek at things in development, but as mentioned, things change and when that has to happen, we wouldn’t want to let anyone down. You also have to understand that you can’t just speak about a feature, you have to show it. That requires development time to teach the feature, tech time to set up the build, creative services time to make images and videos and community time to design a release plan and get that information out.

To do all that for information which will change very quickly doesn’t make a lot of sense. So, in order to make sure that what we present to you is as correct as possible, sometimes we have to hold our secrets to our chest and ensure it’s right before we show it off to you all.

@Paige Harvey Thank you for having the courage to post this honest answer. However at the beginning of ED project, Dev team published a Dev Blog, why it disappeared ?

Ah, i see, ok. Good luck with grinding playing 3D infinite emptiness open world space engine game.
Those who deny critics, are fated to stagnate in backwater.

I like it how you try so hard to make the fact we have a game allowing us to fly our spaceships in a full scale galaxy sound like a bad thing.
I have my share of issues with the game, but ultimately if what you described was all the game offered me, I would still have paid the 100+€ I've spent on it because that's awesome regardless.

Last edited:

The Replicated Man

T
Who cares about fleet carriers anyways? It's not something I am on the edge of my seat looking for.

I'd much prefer FDEV fix the long list of bugs that go way back pre 3.0. The april update was nice.

The Replicated Man

T
To sort-of quote two of my favourite films:
Information is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to.
and
Patience, Iago, patience.
Paige is FDEV planning on releasing any more quality of life updates or bug fixes anytime soon? The april update was quite nice. It would be nice if we got a few more :)

Who cares about fleet carriers anyways? It's not something I am on the edge of my seat looking for.

I'd much prefer FDEV fix the long list of bugs that go way back pre 3.0. The april update was nice.
Just because you don't care about a certain feature doesn't necessarily mean no one does. For one, I do.

The Replicated Man

T
Just because you don't care about a certain feature doesn't necessarily mean no one does. For one, I do.
Sure but just because you care about it doesn't mean that everyone else does too. I don't

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom