I was right, you were wrong

The Replicated Man

Formerly 'Replicant'
To sort-of quote two of my favourite films:
Information is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to.
and
Patience, Iago, patience.
Paige is FDEV planning on releasing any more quality of life updates or bug fixes anytime soon? The april update was quite nice. It would be nice if we got a few more :)

Who cares about fleet carriers anyways? It's not something I am on the edge of my seat looking for.

I'd much prefer FDEV fix the long list of bugs that go way back pre 3.0. The april update was nice.
Just because you don't care about a certain feature doesn't necessarily mean no one does. For one, I do.

That’s a good question!

While we’d love to tell you everything as we find it out, the reality is that we need to show things when they’re ready, and in the best shape possible. Every single feature, in every single game, goes through multiple iterations, bug tests and redesigns before they’re released to the public. As such, if a company were to release all the information they have, you’d end up with a lot of convoluted and eventually incorrect content.

We know it’s exciting to get a sneak peek at things in development, but as mentioned, things change and when that has to happen, we wouldn’t want to let anyone down. You also have to understand that you can’t just speak about a feature, you have to show it. That requires development time to teach the feature, tech time to set up the build, creative services time to make images and videos and community time to design a release plan and get that information out.

To do all that for information which will change very quickly doesn’t make a lot of sense. So, in order to make sure that what we present to you is as correct as possible, sometimes we have to hold our secrets to our chest and ensure it’s right before we show it off to you all.

TL;DR – Games development is constantly in flux and features constantly change. Showing off information early leads to misinformation and potential disappointment. There’s also a lot more to releasing info than simply putting a post on the internet.

We hope this information helps explain the situation a little!
If this bug testing thing were true, there would be actual betas where bugs are resolved before release. Not an NDA beta with only certain content creators that dont fully test all the features.

To sort-of quote two of my favourite films:
Information is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to.
and
Patience, Iago, patience.
Fair enough ;)

But what about :

“Withholding information is the essence of tyranny. Control of the flow of information is the tool of the dictatorship.” :p

The early newsletters showed concepts and sneak peeks, and FD did post sneak peeks on the forum of content they were working on in order to gin up excitement. I remember seeing posts on the proc gen planet system and whatnot way back before we saw any of that in the game. Just posting JPGs can be a nice way to keep the community excited and reassured.

I still don't understand why they stopped doing this...

Paige Harvey

Community Manager
Frontier
@Paige Harvey Hum sorry, I misunderstood. Why the Dev blog was possible before and is not anymore ?
Ah, I understand, my apologies! So I'm afraid I wasn't actually working at the company when the Dev Diaries were released, however we've not released one in a while because these were most likely part of a communications plan in the run up to launch.

At the current time and for more recent updates, the developers have detailed information about features and content during content and update livestreams. We've also hosted "Discovery Scanner" episodes, where we give you the opportunity to learn more about how the game is made and we can't wait to do more of these!

It's worth mentioning these can take a lot of preparation time, and involve multiple different teams, and so we prepare these to coincide with update launches and reveals!

Thanks for clarifying your initial post!

Top Bottom