Notice A statement on cheating in Elite Dangerous.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
No seriously, I log in play the game for a couple of hours. log out and do other stuff, it has zero affect on me
So you log in your favorite starport and find the BGS made the faction you got your palladium missions from has been ousted. Or your IF vanished. Not affected? Granted, those are niche cases and don't affect you much, but my point stands they affect you. You may not care, which depends on your playstyle, but the whole game is built on the premise that everything is affected more or less by the BGS.

The Replicated Man

T
IP ban is impossible. I'm baffled that you still come up with such nonsense, all the more we're just discussing the 24 hours disconnect forced by providers that always (as far as I'm aware) comes along with an IP change.
It would depend if you had a static or dynamic ip. Thats where the hardware would come in.

ryan_m

Banned
Not by setting the club on fire

Apparently you started on the right path - pointing FDev to the cheats and reporting the suspected cheaters.
Then something changed and you decided to pull this stunt.
Which stunt, for the moment, is having the predictable effect of vastly increasing the number of cheaters.

What could happen is either FDev invests some (a lot) of money trying to fix it - or they will ignore it and let it fade away.
After all, it is a dangerous galaxy full of pirates, scoundrels, gankers and not at last... cheaters. And everyone has to blaze their own trail

What changed was them not doing anything for 6 months. This is the SOP for reporting vulnerabilities in the tech industry, btw. You inform, give a window to correct, and then go public if they don't. It is not my responsibility to ensure the integrity of FDev's game, it's theirs. PvPers have been facing rampant hacking for nearly a year now which is why we decided to try and do something about it. What do you do when you bring something to the dev's attention and they do nothing about it? You make others aware.

If more people are cheating because of the awareness, I say good. FDev should do something to fix the problem and their community that encourages cheating more than any other game community that I've interacted with. For years, on this very forum, people openly encouraged combat logging (and still do) as a way to avoid legitimate gameplay and FDev did absolutely nothing to help the problem. Mods on this forum openly sympathized with combat loggers and some even combat logged themselves. This behavior absolutely ruined PvP piracy.

Keep in mind though that the specific hack we did our post was locked down a day after our post went up, so the cheats that are being used aren't the ones we posted about.

What changed was them not doing anything for 6 months. This is the SOP for reporting vulnerabilities in the tech industry, btw. You inform, give a window to correct, and then go public if they don't. It is not my responsibility to ensure the integrity of FDev's game, it's theirs. PvPers have been facing rampant hacking for nearly a year now which is why we decided to try and do something about it. What do you do when you bring something to the dev's attention and they do nothing about it? You make others aware.

If more people are cheating because of the awareness, I say good. FDev should do something to fix the problem and their community that encourages cheating more than any other game community that I've interacted with. For years, on this very forum, people openly encouraged combat logging (and still do) as a way to avoid legitimate gameplay and FDev did absolutely nothing to help the problem. Mods on this forum openly sympathized with combat loggers and some even combat logged themselves. This behavior absolutely ruined PvP piracy.

Keep in mind though that the specific hack we did our post was locked down a day after our post went up, so the cheats that are being used aren't the ones we posted about.
This. Absolutely this. Can't wrap my head around all the strawmen being tossed around here to dodge this simple truth.

ryan_m

Banned
No, i think you misunderstand. Can the bots that exist at the moment select the right CZ (presumably high for efficiency) and run back and forth when the CZ is over? Are they that advanced? I understand how it might not be hard for PP runs, since it simple destination programming and collection/delivery of stuff.

I'm thinking from a programming perspective and wondering how easy it would be to do such a thing in relation to CZ to make it work efficiently, and not just sit in CZ shooting targets that are not there or even in range.

Are you speculating about how capable these bots are, or have you investigated them and determined they can do this sort of thing?

Its the same for mission running. How can a bot determine if its a mission worth taking and that it can be completed and then select the right reward for max inf. What missions would they be capable of? And what happens if the mission board doesn't have any missions it can do?

Bots are capable of that through OCR. I saw a bot that would auto-jump for you to any destination (and scoop fuel). Guy went to Colonia with it while he was sleeping. Can't imagine it would be much more difficult to do the same for that.

Remember, though, that many of these cheats have "instant drop at destination" as a feature, so all you'd have to do is select your end point, jump to SC, then use the hack function to drop you right in front of the slot. EZPZ

The Replicated Man

T
Aren't non-switched lines a lot more expensive and therefore a lot less used? Not sure what you have in mind with hardware detection and if that's even legal in some countries or technically possible at all. Btw, have you ever heard about IP spoofing? Mind I'm no IT expert but I'm under the impression you have no clue at all.
Sure it's quite easy to spoof or mask a IP using a VPN. However my suggestions were not directed at you. I have no clue why you are continuing to attempt to refute my statements.

Bots are capable of that through OCR. I saw a bot that would auto-jump for you to any destination (and scoop fuel). Guy went to Colonia with it while he was sleeping. Can't imagine it would be much more difficult to do the same for that.

Remember, though, that many of these cheats have "instant drop at destination" as a feature, so all you'd have to do is select your end point, jump to SC, then use the hack function to drop you right in front of the slot. EZPZ

I wonder if the bot honked for them too. All that ill gotten data. But hey, let's downplay it some more. No big deal.

But, but... you cheated, you are stained forever!

Right? Someone pays their debt you leave them be. Few things more disgusting than folks that won't.

Goose4291

Banned
If you can rewrite the post without being derrogatory to those who are not interested in PvP, i will read it.

To be honest, you're just going to go off on another strawman if I do, and it wasn't addressed to you in the first instance (it was aimed at Troopi to shine a little colourfully written light on their query), so I won't bother.

Pfft, you ain't seen vulgar.

Regarding the 5/1 engineer exploit why do people keep bringing that up? They were punished, yes? Ill gotten gains were taken away, yes?

Get over it and move on.

I don't think I know one player group that would stand the gutting a 'perma-ban for any form of exploit' would cause for them amongst their membership (particularly among the big kids). I mean I even had a G5 Lightweight Chaff launcher I accidentally got from 5/1 and didn't know a thing about it until I had it taken away :D

I don't think I know one player group that would stand the gutting a 'perma-ban for any form of exploit' would cause for them amongst their membership (particularly among the big kids). I mean I even had a G5 Lightweight Chaff launcher I accidentally got from 5/1 and didn't know a thing about it until I had it taken away :D

For exploits it would be over the top. On that note before the PvP haters roll in let's all keep in mind the OP doesn't mention exploits at all. Installing software to hack the game is way worse than manipulating poor code for an unintended result. Fixing the code and then removing the ill-gotten gains is as fair as this kind of thing can get.

EDIT: Clarity.

Hmm... ok, so the bots and cheat can work hand in hand, makes sense. But is it clever enough to detect when a CZ is finished? As i understand the effect on the BGS now is greater if you complete the CZ and not just gather bonds.

Do you have any knowledge of this?

Turretboats sure, and you could do that without cheats (cheers engineers!). The question was about bots and their functionality.

As far as I am aware none exist, because in part there is no need due to the AFK boats. As far as cheating in a new CZ, if you have one shot kills mods, you could mercilessly spank any while hoovering up credits from massacre missions. Remember war bonds don't have a pronounced effect on the outcome, so if you can rack up wins alone you have won (so trips back and forward are not required).

ryan_m

Banned
Hmm... ok, so the bots and cheat can work hand in hand, makes sense. But is it clever enough to detect when a CZ is finished? As i understand the effect on the BGS now is greater if you complete the CZ and not just gather bonds.

Do you have any knowledge of this?

Not 100% sure, but I can imagine there is something written in a journal file indicating this that can be read. Could use OCR for it too, if there's no journal file.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom