The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Eventually I start to get into a groove but a literal actual player shows up, completely unnoticed by me because there are 15+ NPC targets swarming at any given moment, and pops me in a couple shots. He literally types in the chat "Nothing personal, kiddo- just business." I'm pretty sure he wasn't trolling with that. Like he actually thought that ambushing a player who's out ratting when you have a 16-to-1 numbers advantage is a stone cold maneuver worthy of some flexing in chat.

Killing those satellite things is illegal and he probably got a high enough crime stat that the game offered a pvp bounty on him. The guy that killed him had a mission to kill him.

Killing those satellite things is illegal and he probably got a high enough crime stat that the game offered a pvp bounty on him. The guy that killed him had a mission to kill him.

So, one the best ways to make a little cash early on is actually illegal?

So, newbies who don't want to get illegal have an even harder time than Sarsa experienced gaining credits?

As things stand, it doesn't look good for the newbie trying to earn some cash in the game who have not shelled out $$$ for a bigger ship. Especially since starter ships can't really fit much cargo (or any?). IIRC, one has no cargo space? Another has space for 1 box or something? Someone give me the facts on this?

So, here is a copypaste of a post i made on the SA forums in relation to a thread i started on the SC sub.

Interesting reading and comparison with older threads on the topic.

-------------------------------

So, some of you might have seen, i started a new thread on the SC sub.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/c17mtk Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/c17mtk/what_is_your_estimate_for_the_commercial_release/

I went with commercial release to (try and) avoid any ambiguity and handwaving about "what is release anyway?", but regardless, some still tried that tactic.

The hard downvoting on my comments is amusing, especually if you read them and can see i'm being super friendly and polite.

Its nice to have a thread without Tojal et. al. jumping in to call me a troll. I mean, they might be, but i can't see it, so if they are, they are ragining impotently. I'm sure they are getting upvotes for their efforts though. :D

What I wanted to see is how attitudes have changed, if at all.

Unfortunately, its a small sample size.

Results:
3 didn't answer the question and instead either went off on a random tangent or avoided the answer.
2 said they didn't expect CIG to do any sort of commercial release and to continue development with the pledge system
1 said 2 years*
2 said 4 years
1 said 6 years

* - in cases where people gave a range i took the upper value, since this is CIG we are talking about, its probably more realistic.

Well, we can't really do any sort of real analytics with that unfortunately, but we can compare with previous threads which one kind redditor provided links to:

This one is from 3 years ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3xmqau Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3xmqau/what_do_you_think_its_a_plausible_release_date/

Some comments there to put a wry smile on your face from it will be released next year to 2 years away.

One golden comment here:

Most games of this scope take 5-7 years

I wonder if that person is now saying most games of this scope take 9-10 years :D

One guy broke down what he expected and when, and was badly wrong. He said 2017 for more missions for SQ42, while totally failing to mention SQ42 release... maybe he believed CR when he said that SQ42 just required a bit of polish.

Not one person guessed that it would still not be released by 2019.

Next thread from 5 years ago (so much optimism): https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/1zo04n Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/1zo04n/possible_release_for_sc/

Most upvoted comment linked this: http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Anticipated_Release_Schedule

Which doesn't seem to be there anymore... fortunately, thanks to the wayback machine...

https://web.archive.org/web/2014112...n.wikia.com/wiki/Anticipated_Release_Schedule

Some golden moments in there about the PU...

Approximate date: End of 2015(a minimum of 4 months after the first Squadron 42 chapter is released.)[3][28][29][21]
Expected some time after all 50 Squadron 42 episodes have been released.

All 50 episides of SQ42???

The last snapshot before it was wiped was in July 2017: https://web.archive.org/web/2017071...n.wikia.com/wiki/Anticipated_Release_Schedule

At this point badly out of date.

Star Citizen

Approximate date: End 2016.

Star Citizen will feature a persistent universe

Back to the reddit thread...

Most pessemistic prediction: 2016-2017, with several saying early or late 2016.

Oh my, such halcyon days!

So, here is a copypaste of a post i made on the SA forums in relation to a thread i started on the SC sub.

Interesting reading and comparison with older threads on the topic.

-------------------------------

So, some of you might have seen, i started a new thread on the SC sub.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/c17mtk Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/c17mtk/what_is_your_estimate_for_the_commercial_release/

I went with commercial release to (try and) avoid any ambiguity and handwaving about "what is release anyway?", but regardless, some still tried that tactic.

The hard downvoting on my comments is amusing, especually if you read them and can see i'm being super friendly and polite.

Its nice to have a thread without Tojal et. al. jumping in to call me a troll. I mean, they might be, but i can't see it, so if they are, they are ragining impotently. I'm sure they are getting upvotes for their efforts though. :D

What I wanted to see is how attitudes have changed, if at all.

Unfortunately, its a small sample size.

Results:
3 didn't answer the question and instead either went off on a random tangent or avoided the answer.
2 said they didn't expect CIG to do any sort of commercial release and to continue development with the pledge system
1 said 2 years*
2 said 4 years
1 said 6 years

* - in cases where people gave a range i took the upper value, since this is CIG we are talking about, its probably more realistic.

Well, we can't really do any sort of real analytics with that unfortunately, but we can compare with previous threads which one kind redditor provided links to:

This one is from 3 years ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3xmqau Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3xmqau/what_do_you_think_its_a_plausible_release_date/

Some comments there to put a wry smile on your face from it will be released next year to 2 years away.

One golden comment here:

I wonder if that person is now saying most games of this scope take 9-10 years :D

One guy broke down what he expected and when, and was badly wrong. He said 2017 for more missions for SQ42, while totally failing to mention SQ42 release... maybe he believed CR when he said that SQ42 just required a bit of polish.

Not one person guessed that it would still not be released by 2019.

Next thread from 5 years ago (so much optimism): https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/1zo04n Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/1zo04n/possible_release_for_sc/

Most upvoted comment linked this: http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Anticipated_Release_Schedule

Which doesn't seem to be there anymore... fortunately, thanks to the wayback machine...

https://web.archive.org/web/2014112...n.wikia.com/wiki/Anticipated_Release_Schedule

Some golden moments in there about the PU...

All 50 episides of SQ42???

The last snapshot before it was wiped was in July 2017: https://web.archive.org/web/2017071...n.wikia.com/wiki/Anticipated_Release_Schedule

At this point badly out of date.

Back to the reddit thread...

Most pessemistic prediction: 2016-2017, with several saying early or late 2016.

Oh my, such halcyon days!

The devout can wave away trolls and haters. I would imagine you being polite and reasonable and just showing factually what the fans have said for the past half decade infuriates them to no end because its a reality they actually have to accept and they seethe and downvote you out of spite.

Why should Roberts release? If you have no scruples and you lose the moraility end why would you end the money train and invite the death knell of official release?

Last edited:

So, newbies who don't want to get illegal have an even harder time than Sarsa experienced gaining credits?

As things stand, it doesn't look good for the newbie trying to earn some cash in the game who have not shelled out $$$ for a bigger ship. Especially since starter ships can't really fit much cargo (or any?). IIRC, one has no cargo space? Another has space for 1 box or something? Someone give me the facts on this?
You can still make decent coin carrying a single box for the fetch and carry missions but it seems that combat missions pay higher for the most part. Not dissimilar to E-D in that respect with the persistent grind of skimmer mission stacking and bounty farming as a fast (but ultimately boring) way to buy ship/weapon/module upgrades or better ships. I'm not that keen on the overtly combat focussed road that Ci¬G seem to be headed down...but I was exactly of the same mind in E-D. I'm certainly not averse to a bit of PvE/PvP pew now and then when it happens in either of those titles... it's just not my area of interest.

I've personally never undertaken any combat missions in SC since for me, it's the equivalent of watching paint flake off my garden fence... but concentrate on the fetch and carry missions to make coin...since I'm only required to carry and deliver 1 box, cargo space is a non issue. Payouts on average of 4500+ aUEC per mission and little or no combat involved bar the occasional NPC pirate interdiction, a fairly safe and legal way to acrue some creds.

There's also the black box/find dead crew missions which pay reasonably well...so there are options for the non combat oriented folks like me besides bulk cargo hauling..they just don't pay quite as well...but as I mentioned, that's not unique to SC.

Last edited:
You can still make decent coin carrying a single box for the fetch and carry missions but it seems that combat missions pay higher for the most part. Not dissimilar to E-D in that respect with the persistent grind of skimmer mission stacking and bounty farming as a fast (but ultimately boring) way to buy ship/weapon/module upgrades or better ships. I'm not that keen on the overtly combat focussed road that Ci¬G seem to be headed down...but I was exactly of the same mind in E-D. I'm certainly not averse to a bit of PvE/PvP pew now and then when it happens in either of those titles... it's just not my area of interest.

I've personally never undertaken any combat missions in SC since for me, it's the equivalent of watching paint flake off my garden fence... but concentrate on the fetch and carry missions to make coin...since I'm only required to carry and deliver 1 box, cargo space is a non issue. Payouts on average of 4500+ aUEC per mission and little or no combat involved bar the occasional NPC pirate interdiction, a fairly safe and legal way to acrue some creds.

There's also the black box/find dead crew missions which pay reasonably well...so there are options for the non combat oriented folks like me besides bulk cargo hauling..they just don't pay quite as well...but as I mentioned, that's not unique to SC.

Good to know.

The devout can wave away trolls and haters. I would imagine you being polite and reasonable and just showing factually what the fans have said for the past half decade infuriates them to no end because its a reality they actually have to accept and they seethe and downvote you out of spite.

Why should Roberts release? If you have no scruples and you lose the moraility end why would you end the money train and invite the death knell of official release?

Well, looking at how things are, and the seemingly constant willingness to keep funding, those (backers) who say CIG may never go for release might well be right. In theory they could just keep developing the game for a long time using pledges. God only knows what this will cost the fans each to achieve it, rather than going for a release to bring in those who are waiting to see a release. But as long as people are willing to pay for JPGs, hell, it could work.

Well, looking at how things are, and the seemingly constant willingness to keep funding, those (backers) who say CIG may never go for release might well be right. In theory they could just keep developing the game for a long time using pledges. God only knows what this will cost the fans each to achieve it, rather than going for a release to bring in those who are waiting to see a release. But as long as people are willing to pay for JPGs, hell, it could work.

People just want a good space game when it comes to it. Im ready to dip my toes in again, I miss space. Ive been messing with space engine, lots of fun and scratches the exploration itch I always had with ED but couldn't indulge in.

I dont see anything viable for me till seeing what Frontier has in store for 2020, but at least Star Citizen shows there's more than a niche market for it.

Hopefully between Frontier and whoever picks up on what Roberts wanted to do I get something in a few years.

Are you counting the Gladius as a starter ship? Gladius works for those missions, don't know how well an Aurora or Mustang is gonna handle them.

In terms of credits per hour, best things to do right now are:

Bounty Hunting (legal)
Assassinations (illegal)
These little satellite missions (illegal)

Like Mole said, the box delivery missions pay ok, but they take a lot longer to do. And doing box missions in a Mustang is a pain. It is not easy to get a box in and out of a Mustang. Aurora is fine.

Are you counting the Gladius as a starter ship? Gladius works for those missions, don't know how well an Aurora or Mustang is gonna handle them.

In terms of credits per hour, best things to do right now are:

Bounty Hunting (legal)
Assassinations (illegal)
These little satellite missions (illegal)

Like Mole said, the box delivery missions pay ok, but they take a lot longer to do. And doing box missions in a Mustang is a pain. It is not easy to get a box in and out of a Mustang. Aurora is fine.

Aurora only i can consider a starter ship looking at the currently available packages.

Anything else requires extra $$$

Aurora only i can consider a starter ship looking at the currently available packages.

Having stolen and lulzed around in an Aurora - I can honestly say it's a bit pooh. Gameplay elements and ship abilities seem definitely formed to extract $$$.

Even in a Freelancer - roughly 150 fidelities - barely qualifies as a gameplay enabled ship.

I can't honestly remember the last newbie I met flying an Aurora or Mustang. 99% of the new folks I've met recently have bought in with a fighter of some sort... like an Arrow if they're pew orientated or even a Cutlass/Freelancer if they have a broader range of interests. I've no doubt there are some around somewhere that bought in after a free fly event, bought the cheapest available package...played twice, got disappointed with the bugs, lack of in game ship purchases and content wipes every patch and never logged in again.

I still see new backers regularly...but they seem to have bought in with an average of the $120-$150 mark with the Cutlass/Freelancer/Arrow packages or upgraded to those ships via the store...a couple with Connie Andromedas and the like among that lot.

The 300 series (300i in particular) seems popular at the minute due to ship customisation if little else. I always recommend the Avenger Titan as a starter-ish ship or easy upgrade for little actual $ value...around $25 or so to upgrade from an Aurora...the Titan can carry cargo, can fight and is reasonably quick...a mini-multirole thing.

Unlike Asp...I like the Freelancer since it does most things more than adequately, has half decent cargo capacity plus you can have a mate flying along with you unlike the single seaters.

My goto ship for everything though is still the Jack of all trades Cutlass Black...

Last edited:
Unlike Asp...I like the Freelancer since it does most things adequately, has mid ranged cargo capacity plus you can have a mate flying along with you unlike the single seaters.

Not quite my dear Mole, the 'Lancer is a fun enough ship - and over the years me and friends and randoms have had plenty of giggles with it. As you've mentioned before - it's an older ship design that's been through many reworks, but it's still completely bug ridden. It took CI-G nearly two years to fix the front door, and then they left it broken again in a different way. Co-pilot seat possibly the dullest place to spend gametime I've ever experienced. Rear seats purely for the lulz. Turret is slow and poorly located. Waist guns sound like party-poppers. You can actually get some things in the cargo bay - but as soon as you do you lose access to the turret hatch. You can still poke your head through the floor. Deploying ramp can still flip the ship. Last attempt, missiles appeared to have no functionality at all. Whatever happened to the chin guns btw?

May main issue is - you've got to spend over one hundred USD to get to even this middling gameplay, we're half-way through 2019 - and Star Citizen is still no closer to being a game.

What i'm hearing is the starter ship is largely useless and that if you really want to play, you need to spend more $$$.
My starter ship was a Hornet Ghost. Yes it's from the KS back then in 2012. It's compromising the big firepower of the default Hornet by carrying a huge "stealth module".
Where is the gameplay for that ship ? How can i engage that stealth module or get any kind of stealth at all from that ship ? What would be the gameplay for someone getting into SC with that starter package ?
At the moment: nada... nothing on the roadmap until 2022. And we are more than 6 years after buying that starter package.

I will never pilot any ship in ED that is not fit into medium landing pad, I don't want big ship... so that mean in SC players like me are forced to endure crappy travelling mechanic forever, also say goodbye to exploring with small ship too.
Well, i would recommend the medium sized Freelancer DUR then who has a complete fuel refinery within itself to handle longer range journeys.

My starter ship was a Hornet Ghost. Yes it's from the KS back then in 2012. It's compromising the big firepower of the default Hornet by carrying a huge "stealth module".
Where is the gameplay for that ship ? How can i engage that stealth module or get any kind of stealth at all from that ship ? What would be the gameplay for someone getting into SC with that starter package ?
At the moment: nada... nothing on the roadmap until 2022. And we are more than 6 years after buying that starter package.
Well, some of the mechanics are already in there but are rather nuanced. There is no "active" stealth in the game like a cloaking field that makes you invisible, but rather suppressing your signature.

The Hornet Ghost have stealth components like low signature shields and it's armour have HALF the signature multiplier of the Super Hornet for example in regards to IR/EM emissions. It impacts impact detection range, target lock time, missile lock time among others.

That said, they have not said anything about the so called stealth module it does come equipped with and it would be nice if it had a function. According to the database it is UMNT_ANVL_S5_Cap which so far has no mechanics in game.

As for gameplay...stealth short range courier, scout missions, stealth blockade runner, small package courier.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom