Bored in Space: 5K LY to unlock Palin

True, no one forcing the OP to engineer. No one forcing him to buy the game either, but he did. And therefore is as entitled as anyone to comment on game features he wishes were different/ changed/ improved.
As a fellow purchasor and player II happen to agree that the engineer grind is just that. I personally did not enjoy any part of the Guardian site grind though I completed it for the Guardian FSD booster so I get the OPs thread.
Still a great game despite some of its grindier elements.
Friendly reminder: no one is forcing you to do it, if you want to do it, please cut the moaning to a minimum, we all have to do it...or not...

Correct.

Last edited:
True, no one forcing the OP to engineer. No one forcing him to buy the game either, but he did. And therefore is as entitled as anyone to comment on game features he wishes were different/ changed/ improved.
As a fellow purchasor and player II happen to agree that the engineer grind is just that. I personally did not enjoy any part of the Guardian site grind though I completed it for the Guardian FSD booster so I get the OPs thread.
Still a great game despite some of its grindier elements.

And he did, and was told many a reason why and why not, agreeing and disagreeing. And people keeps agreeing and disagreeing the more the horse is beaten.

I find always amusing when people keeps doing things they find unpleasant in a make believe world...at work, well you get paid; in a game, grind?

What about, a set of jump gates
And he did, and was told many a reason why and why not, agreeing and disagreeing. And people keeps agreeing and disagreeing the more the horse is beaten.

I find always amusing when people keeps doing things they find unpleasant in a make believe world...at work, well you get paid; in a game, grind?

The point your missing is that if a player feels he/she wants engineering because if they haven't got it they're at a disadvantage then they have a point, even with the engineered NPCs, you telling the world and his mates that he doesn't have to do it is not providing a solution, merely raising hackles for the sake of ... what? I don't know?

The fact is there should be an alternative way to get the meeting, whether it be through a mission, credits, or simply through your relationship with a given faction/superpower.
Remember the play it your way thing... well, a guy/guyette not taking up arms because they simply ain't good enough can't get the the stuff (engineered scanners/shields/whatever) to protect* him/herself efficiently even against NPCs... therefore makes his/her game more difficult, and potentially un-enjoyable, forcing a player to perform tasks they'd rather not only diminishes the enjoyment of the game, they very often play less... and that should concern you not make you laugh!

*shields protect, guns simply make you stick around to get shot at longer.

Let's set interdiction aside - optimal conditions : No stellar bodies in the way, straight path available, one station 1'000'000 ls away from point of entry.
It's still a waste of time to fly there, takes you ages to get there, no matter what. And it's just not gameplay.

Well now you have stripped all the challenges and things to do from it I will grant you that it is no longer interesting or involving game play. But something being a waste of time does not mean that it isn’t a valid bit of gameplay.

I can't believe this thread is still alive. It was just me venting about how much I hate engineers.

Anyway, I got my 5K and self-destructed as soon as I got my invite from Palin.

I play in VR but I managed to setup a YouTube window in VR, in the cockpit with me. So, I watched some javascript talks as I tediously jumped from system to system.

I did see a couple of nice looking nebulae on the way. Also saw a Lagrange cloud.

Now I just have to farm outbreak systems for pharmaceutical isolators. The fun just doesn't end thanks to engineers.

Actually you just have to find any manufactured materials and then use the traders to convert them to the ones you want/need so there is still no requirement to turn it into a grind unless that is how you wish to play.

Good to know. Thanks

But will you also lose all your Explorer ranking percentages in the process?
Or does that count as you go along?
You only gain the explorer ranking by selling the data so you will have only lost the potential to increase rank just as you will have lost the potential to make money by your ship being destroyed before the data is sold.

dxm55

Banned
You only gain the explorer ranking by selling the data so you will have only lost the potential to increase rank just as you will have lost the potential to make money by your ship being destroyed before the data is sold.

That's what I needed to know. Thanks.

You rank up exploration by selling data for Credits.
Just like you rank up combat by getting creds for killing ships.
And in trade by selling stuff.

It's all about the money.

For the first two you can consider the rank ups to be the result of handing things in, data and bounty warrants or combat bonds respectively.

But yes this was never Star Trek.

Actually, and I might be wrong. The combat rank is accrued on kill, it just takes a bit to reflect on the % counter.

The fact is there should be an alternative way to get the meeting, whether it be through a mission, credits, or simply through your relationship with a given faction/superpower.
Remember the play it your way thing... well, a guy/guyette not taking up arms because they simply ain't good enough can't get the the stuff (engineered scanners/shields/whatever) to protect* him/herself efficiently even against NPCs... therefore makes his/her game more difficult, and potentially un-enjoyable, forcing a player to perform tasks they'd rather not only diminishes the enjoyment of the game, they very often play less... and that should concern you not make you laugh!

Why should there? The system in place is good enough, you want something, you grind towards it, its a pretty simple game mechanic.
The game is simple enough without engineering, if hes not enjoying the higher output off higher enemies, perhaps a player needs to re-estimate the grind/reward ratio and bite the bullet. Engineering is afterall, by now, the "endgame".
Im not the very least concerned for what Mr.Nobody does with its leisure time, be it play games or sleep, perhaps you should learn about that?

We look for things unusual or new. Listen to music and generally chill while taking in the vastness of the games rendition of out galaxy.

Well its what I do anyway!

Isnt it ridiculous? I dont know how anyone ever thought this was good or interesting gameplay. If you want to explore, great, but forcing players to do some artificial grind and calling it gameplay?
Stuff like this is why i have bought my last FD game or dlc. Elite was a great game right up untill they ed all over it with the engineers.
Blaze your own trail :LOL:
I can see your point. I believe the intent is to see how badly you want the unlock, especially considering what upgrades you are unlocking with Palin. Explorers deal with the repetitive jumps by having somewhere to go. For me, it was Sag A*. I just NEEDED to see that. For others it's just a zen thing. Mining is another zen thing. Otherwise, you'd go crazy trying to fill up your hold.

Deep core mining is something I’ve yet to try but want to, have just been this far mildly intimidated by its complexities.
I can see your point. I believe the intent is to see how badly you want the unlock, especially considering what upgrades you are unlocking with Palin. Explorers deal with the repetitive jumps by having somewhere to go. For me, it was Sag A*. I just NEEDED to see that. For others it's just a zen thing. Mining is another zen thing. Otherwise, you'd go crazy trying to fill up your hold.

Why should there? The system in place is good enough, you want something, you grind towards it, its a pretty simple game mechanic.
The game is simple enough without engineering, if hes not enjoying the higher output off higher enemies, perhaps a player needs to re-estimate the grind/reward ratio and bite the bullet. Engineering is afterall, by now, the "endgame".
Im not the very least concerned for what Mr.Nobody does with its leisure time, be it play games or sleep, perhaps you should learn about that?
Nope, you still don't understand, I didn't like certain features bought in in the 3.3 update... I stopped playing, as have two of my mates, I returned to retry but just was not interested, so, no future purchases on my horizons...
That's three less players, three less sales and we were the last on our PG, the others have lost interest... no sales of future updates there, so you see, but it's not just one group, people must be interested in order to spend money,so while you're laughing at someone not enjoying the game with your 'I'm all right Jack' attitude they might very well not bother with the future of the game, remember though, the players are the future of the game.. But, I forgot, you don't care do you!

I just did the 5k LY thing on my alt account for Palin just last week. Not a big deal. Took a few days but that is because I only play the game in spurts and fits now. Yes, the procedurally generated sameness is boring but at least the new makes the job of scanning the system really easy. BTW: I made 50m CRs just scanning on the way out, and only about half of the time (yeah, CRs are MUCH too easy to make these days).

As for the 25 thargoid sensors Palin wants -- that took me about 10 minutes. Go to a thargoid crash ship site and relog two or three times and you are done.

Well engineering is basically Grind 2 win (G2W).
You use time. And since time is money, then it's still P2W.

LOL. What a twist. :p:p:p
That's called a leap. You cannot grind to win if you don't have the Horizons update. I think eventually you won't be able to play without it.

I just did the 5k LY thing on my alt account for Palin just last week. Not a big deal. Took a few days but that is because I only play the game in spurts and fits now. Yes, the procedurally generated sameness is boring but at least the new what are you doing makes the job of scanning the system really easy. BTW: I made 50m CRs just scanning on the way out, and only about half of the time (yeah, CRs are MUCH too easy to make these days).

As for the 25 thargoid sensors Palin wants -- that took me about 10 minutes. Go to a thargoid crash ship site and relog two or three times and you are done.

How many hours did it take you to fly 5k LY and back and scan half the systems on your way back? Are you watching YouTube or doing something at the same time?

Yeah, I forgot about the Thargoid sensors.

Genuinely. This 24 hour elongation of Beethoven's 9th got me through.

I recommend it to all non-explorer explorers. Or at least to all the ones who like odd music. There's something about its ongoing 'something epic is happening AND ALSO ABOUT TO HAPPEN' vibe that saved my soul ;)

EDIT: Caveat: Does depend what time of day you listen to it...

Last edited:
Top Bottom