Bored in Space: 5K LY to unlock Palin

I'm beginning to think that more than one monitor/ screen is the key to long exploratin trips in ED. Have read several times other players watching any number of other things on a second monitor while jumping to SAG 'A' or wherever. Without some other sensory imput it could be beyond mind numbing.

How many hours did it take you to fly 5k LY and back and scan half the systems on your way back? Are you watching YouTube or doing something at the same time?

Yeah, I forgot about the Thargoid sensors.

I'm beginning to think that more than one monitor/ screen is the key to long exploratin trips in ED. Have read several times other players watching any number of other things on a second monitor while jumping to SAG 'A' or wherever. Without some other sensory imput it could be beyond mind numbing.

I think doing activities you enjoy, or at least being prepared to give it a go is the key. Netflix & youtube are something you can do, you could listen to audiobooks or music if you prefer to pay attention to the game screen, or you could even listen to the in-game galnet audio if that takes your fancy, it's no different to having the radio on during a car journey.

Grade 5 Dirty Drives is one of the best, most useful, most fun mods Engineering provides and it's locked behind a significant amount of gates because of just that. Nobody has to have it, but most players want it with varying degrees of motivation. It takes a few hours to complete in the most cynical way possible (as the OP appears to have done), and it never needs to be done again. I approached the mining unlocks in the same way, I actually did the bromelite in a Cobra MkIV because I figured I should do a task I already knew I had no interest in in a ship I knew I had no interest in.

What I didn't do was complain that the unlock was unreasonable. I just didn't do it for a long time, then during a quiet period spent a while unlocking all the remaining engineers just for something to do.

I still haven't unlocked most of the Guardian stuff. I don't need it, and I'm busy with (imo) more important stuff. I'll get around to it eventually, and I didn't complain that it was too hard to begin with, I just didn't do it :)

dxm55

Banned

This is exactly it. The reason why some players want

• Autopilot for SC
  • Longer jump ranges
  • Insta teleport across the bubble
  • Ability to transfer the player (and his piloted ship) to another part of the galaxy via a taxi or shuttle
The emptiness of space and the amount of inane, do-nothing-ness of transiting between one point of the galaxy to the next is simply soul crushing.

You hear some players preaching "marvel at the beauty of the galaxy".

Yeah, right..... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
You can literally COUNT the number of star types on two hands.
And the back drop is the same starlit night sky, with only the density of the star field or milky way backdrop changing slightly as you move around.
The type of planets you can drop into and land on, are limited to airless rock and ice worlds.
You only have ice and metal rings to fly into and mine, and they look almost the same.

Basically what it is, is akin to taking maybe 10 elements, A to J, and then jumbling them up randomly, and telling you that there are infinite possibilities out there.
Sorry, all you positive preachers. You know it's B.S..... It really is boring after the 10th jump.

Maybe some of you are just lying to yourselves or have low expectations.
Maybe some of you are easy to please, you'd be happy if I gave you a gummy bear.
Or maybe some of you just absolutely have a jovial positive outlook in life, and would treat a punch in the face from a complete stranger as a love tap. 🤣
But just because you\re a hardcore explorer and don't mind doing inane stuff, it doesn't mean that others like the same. :alien:

So if there absolutely needs to be a grind because galactic distances must be properly simulated, for the sake of principle, then at least come up with mechanics to alleviate that utter ennui.

Right now, flying long distances forces a player into having to pay partial attention to the game. Because you get bored out of your wits just paying full attention to the game.
Yet you can't enjoy watching that Youtube video fully, because you always have one eye on your unintelligent 19th century ship in 34th century space.

Autopilot for SC is an example. A casual gamer like me could just jump into a system, target a destination station, and flick on the AP.
Then go grab a beer or watch a Youtube video while the ship flies itself to the station and docks.

Or, autopilot in Hyperspace. I could travel from Shinrarta to Maia by simply targeting it and the ship jumps itself until it hits 50% fuel and drops me a warning to refuel or scoop. Then I can resume after said activity.

And if you don't like the autopilot, as I have previously mentioned many times before..... You don't have to fracking buy it. Use the slot for something else. 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
Deep core mining is something I’ve yet to try but want to, have just been this far mildly intimidated by its complexities.
I haven't done deep-core mine either. I'm still mining off the surface using collection limpets. I did see my first Painite core on the scanner today. I didn't have any equipment to do anything with it. Must be fairly rare if I've just seen my first one.

dxm55

Banned
I haven't done deep-core mine either. I'm still mining off the surface using collection limpets. I did see my first Painite core on the scanner today. I didn't have any equipment to do anything with it. Must be fairly rare if I've just seen my first one.

You should try it. Surface mining is like going to Colonia.

Tedious and boring as heck doing the most simple inane thing, and getting next to nothing for all that time spent.

Core mining nets you at least 50m per hour. And at least your are maneuvering your ship in between the rocks, trying to get at those deposits.

I think if you want the best gear you should be prepared to put the effort into getting it, and once you've done it you'll at least have a better understanding of the mechanics of exploration even if you decide it's not for you.

I fast travelled just under 6k this afternoon, the final stint returning from a 30kLy passenger mission to Three Way Dance. I was out for four days I think in a 70ly equipped Conda. Earned something in excess of 60mCr in exploration data & 50m for the mission.

people like you make me log in at work just so i can respond

this is not a heckin job, its a videogame

Correct.

Would suggest you and your buddies find something else to do, its what adults do when bored off something.

Already done that, X4 Foundations is good at the moment... and Minecraft realms for those get together times, but that ain't bringing the money to Elite Dangerous is it?....

Ceeya.

I don't think you really appreciate exploration until you've covered about 5000 lyrs. That's probably why it was chosen. The first 5,000 lyrs are always the hardest .... after that it feels much easier and you settle into a pattern.

The first ten million years were the worst," said Marvin, "and the second ten million years, they were the worst too. The third ten million years I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline.

Nope, you still don't understand, I didn't like certain features bought in in the 3.3 update... I stopped playing, as have two of my mates, I returned to retry but just was not interested, so, no future purchases on my horizons...
That's three less players, three less sales and we were the last on our PG, the others have lost interest... no sales of future updates there, so you see, but it's not just one group, people must be interested in order to spend money,so while you're laughing at someone not enjoying the game with your 'I'm all right Jack' attitude they might very well not bother with the future of the game, remember though, the players are the future of the game.. But, I forgot, you don't care do you!
Doom.

Already done that, X4 Foundations is good at the moment... and Minecraft realms for those get together times, but that ain't bringing the money to Elite Dangerous is it?....

Ceeya.
Or empyrion, or KSP, or a million other games, you mean to tell me you just play 1 game at a time?

Given the funding model FDev is using, unless you are getting cosmetics, and that amounts to a drop on an ocean, you are not bringing any money to elite dangerous, are you?

As babel pointed: Doom... elite dangerous is niche enough to still get new players and developed enough to take others off that other space game that has no working space.

You should try it. Surface mining is like going to Colonia.

Tedious and boring as heck doing the most simple inane thing, and getting next to nothing for all that time spent.

Core mining nets you at least 50m per hour. And at least your are maneuvering your ship in between the rocks, trying to get at those deposits.
50 mil/hour is pretty low. I make 200 mil/hour mining painite.

I think I've done about 50 jumps and I'm nearly halfway to the 5K light years I need to unlock Palin. I somehow managed the 50 jumps by watching YouTube videos while playing. I'm not sure I can motivate myself to finish this trip.

How do you deep space explorers manage the tedious repetition of jump after jump?

Has anyone ever suggested to FDev that we should arrive a bit farther away from the star so that it doesn't obstruct our next jump? Jump, go around star, jump. Jump, go around star jump. Fuel scoop for 10 minutes.

Asp X 50 ly jump range with Guardian FSD booster.
Late to the party...
You feel like this because you have plans to come back and do stuff. When you have no plans it's a completely different story.
I'm often on the other side of the fence... How can you guys spend so much time in the bubble playing the same missions over and over again?
Getting lost in the black is relaxing and you can feel you're on your own path.

Late to the party...
You feel like this because you have plans to come back and do stuff. When you have no plans it's a completely different story.
I'm often on the other side of the fence... How can you guys spend so much time in the bubble playing the same missions over and over again?
Getting lost in the black is relaxing and you can feel you're on your own path.

I maintain a few NPC minor factions spread over a small region of the bubble. Mostly I do this alone, and have done for years. It is like tending a garden, there is always stuff that needs doing to keep it the way I want - maintenance.

When I go exploring I am leaving my little garden to go wild, when I return after a week or more I usually have work to do to put it back the way I want it to be.

Spending an evening travelling 5,000ly to unlock an engineer isn't a big deal unless you've never done it before - my first 'big' exploration jaunt was about 2,000ly (around Barnards Loop) and it felt like a massive distance :)

Not really, simply, less is... less!
You stopped playing because you don't like some features that got included in 3.3. Someone else would've stopped playing without the features that got introduced in 3.3.
Less isn't less unless you can tell me less from what.

Let's say they would design the game you want to play rather than the game they want to develop. Who do you know that more people would be playing it?

Top Bottom