Iirc, we were told only the ED novels by DW, which follow the ED writers guide, may be considered as out of game canon stuff.
So, GalNet, Codex and the ED novels are our only sources of lore, imho.
And the tourist beacons and ship logs. They are the most important source for confirming the stories from the older games. They can be quite funny, if you know both side of the story.

This story for example, featured in the FFE journals:
FATAL ACCIDENT AT STADIUM
J.J.
Federal ballet lovers bowed their heads in mourning this week after the news filtered through from Yorkville (Ackwada) of the fatal accident sustained by celebrated hover-ballerina, Signora Mia Felicita.
Reports suggest that as a result of gyrophonic failure the air banks used to support the dancer's weight proved too insubstantial and Signora Felicita, only three hours into her first half, plummeted to her death in the audience below. Sadly, it is understood that three members of the audience were also killed in this tragedy since the Signora's costume was of great size and heavily sewn with acubium crystals designed to catch the light.
Amongst the dead, co-incidentally, was included Mr Duke Mastopolos of Mastopolos Mining Inc, Signora Felicita's former patron and the organiser of the performance.
The Times would like to extend its condolences to the dancer's family and to all ballet-lovers throughout the Systems.

And this is from a data log, in ED:
“Corporate Data Log: Seriously, I've got the scoop of the century. Remember in 3252 when Duke Mastopolos was killed in an accident? You know the one - a hover-ballerina fell on him. Anyway, that's not important. What matters is it was no accident. It was his wife, Gabriella Mastopolos, who caused the whole thing. This is massive. A scandal like this could bring the whole company down. Hang on...there's someone at the door…”

I hope your 79LY range Conda has railguns, because there are ghosts over there. If you see a funny looking space rock, haunting blue blobs, nebulae or chestnuts that make noises, it's usually better to shoot them with a railgun first. Last time I visited Formidine Rift I had to shoot several rounds at the Zurara just to make it go quiet.

Orexr. It all makes sense. I wonder if Duval used railguns at them. Why did it look like a waterworld. Or was it John Taylor who did it, that traitor. Where is Veliaze? Do they shoot natives of 3 Alpha Lyrae with railguns? How long will this dream last, I've shot so many of them with a gauss cannon just to wake them up. It's so cold. Wake up! Why can't I remember!?

My question is ... who came up with the names "Oresrian" and "Klaxxian" as far as the in-game universe is concerned? Are those the names that the Thargoids use for themselves or did humans apply them? The "ian" suffix sounds like something that humans would append. If you hail from Canada or Brazil would we not call you a Canadian or a Brazilian?

So maybe "Orexr" and "Klaxx" are somehow descriptive of each branch of Thargoid? Maybe a hint as to where they come from? I guess there's no way to know unless we meet them face to face for ourselves (and even then we probably won't live long enough to share the secret ...)
Bill Turner: ‘Strictly speaking they are the Oresrians, at least, that’s what they call themselves, as near as we can render it in our language. Thargoid is a crass term we humans came up with.’
I think this is the key point with the names.

They're romanised versions of terms from an Alien language.

Thargoid sound based communication is very different to ours, and inherently has to be so. (Assuming the insectoidness of the Thargoids extends to respiration, then they don't have lungs, windpipes or vocal chords.)

TDW does actually set it out that way when it talks about the Oresrians:

"... he found himself standing behind two tall, violent looking insect-forms, their bodies armoured in light grey, their facetted eyes swivelling to stare at him as they talked together, chelicerae clashing and clacking in their peculiar form of communication."

OoTD confirms and extends it.

"The keening was a constant back-ground, but Carl seemed unaware of what it meant. He remained intent on the stream of clacking."

"'Incredible aren't they?' Carl's words were softer now, almost tender. He made an extended series of glot-stops, clicks and whistles."

Still a few options I guess:
  • Conversion into our style of vocalisation and language done by the Oresrians/Thargoids
  • Conversion into our style of vocalisation and language done by humans

Coming back to Jaitou's point, the 'ian' bit does seem like it would be an artefact of conversion into our language and terminology rather than a romanisation of the sound made by the Oresrians/Thargoids.

I guess whether anything can be drawn from the Oresr, Klaxx parts are completely up for debate at this point. It doesn't really seem that way, as Oresr and Klaxx don't appear to have any meaning, or be the names of places, so it wouldn't seem to be 'the beings from the place humans call Oresr and Klaxx', but you never know, names change and things get lost. Also if things were of that nature then it would be pretty sensible to change the names in the records and history books to stop random people heading to those locations, and getting themselves killed or starting a war.

Also, as a complete aside to the names, I've said it before on the Alien megathreads, but I strongly suspect that the Thargoids use of morse ties in to the nature of their form of vocalisation, more specifically it would be more naturally intelligible to them and reproducible by them than human speech in terms of the actual sounds used.

I hope your 79LY range Conda has railguns, because there are ghosts over there. If you see a funny looking space rock, haunting blue blobs, nebulae or chestnuts that make noises, it's usually better to shoot them with a railgun first. Last time I visited Formidine Rift I had to shoot several rounds at the Zurara just to make it go quiet.

Orexr. It all makes sense. I wonder if Duval used railguns at them. Why did it look like a waterworld. Or was it John Taylor who did it, that traitor. Where is Veliaze? Do they shoot natives of 3 Alpha Lyrae with railguns? How long will this dream last, I've shot so many of them with a gauss cannon just to wake them up. It's so cold. Wake up! Why can't I remember!?
"there - there Hana - it'll all be okay after this little injection..."

I think this is the key point with the names.

They're romanised versions of terms from an Alien language.

Thargoid sound based communication is very different to ours, and inherently has to be so. (Assuming the insectoidness of the Thargoids extends to respiration, then they don't have lungs, windpipes or vocal chords.)

TDW does actually set it out that way when it talks about the Oresrians:

"... he found himself standing behind two tall, violent looking insect-forms, their bodies armoured in light grey, their facetted eyes swivelling to stare at him as they talked together, chelicerae clashing and clacking in their peculiar form of communication."

OoTD confirms and extends it.

"The keening was a constant back-ground, but Carl seemed unaware of what it meant. He remained intent on the stream of clacking."

"'Incredible aren't they?' Carl's words were softer now, almost tender. He made an extended series of glot-stops, clicks and whistles."

Still a few options I guess:
  • Conversion into our style of vocalisation and language done by the Oresrians/Thargoids
  • Conversion into our style of vocalisation and language done by humans
Coming back to Jaitou's point, the 'ian' bit does seem like it would be an artefact of conversion into our language and terminology rather than a romanisation of the sound made by the Oresrians/Thargoids.

I guess whether anything can be drawn from the Oresr, Klaxx parts are completely up for debate at this point. It doesn't really seem that way, as Oresr and Klaxx don't appear to have any meaning, or be the names of places, so it wouldn't seem to be 'the beings from the place humans call Oresr and Klaxx', but you never know, names change and things get lost. Also if things were of that nature then it would be pretty sensible to change the names in the records and history books to stop random people heading to those locations, and getting themselves killed or starting a war.

Also, as a complete aside to the names, I've said it before on the Alien megathreads, but I strongly suspect that the Thargoids use of morse ties in to the nature of their form of vocalisation, more specifically it would be more naturally intelligible to them and reproducible by them than human speech in terms of the actual sounds used.

Regarding the 'insectoid' nature of the Thargoids:
Have we any reason to believe that this extends beyond just physical characteristics into hierarchical/sociological structures - hive minds, alien queens, that kind of thing?

A society that sees itself as one entity, rather than a group of individuals, wouldn't have a need for an 'x..ian' naming convention. They would simply be 'x' - part of it, not belonging to it.

Regarding the 'insectoid' nature of the Thargoids:
Have we any reason to believe that this extends beyond just physical characteristics into hierarchical/sociological structures - hive minds, alien queens, that kind of thing?

A society that sees itself as one entity, rather than a group of individuals, wouldn't have a need for an 'x..ian' naming convention. They would simply be 'x' - part of it, not belonging to it.
Plenty. Subject to the usual provisos of course!

Will add more details when I’ve got a min.

Off the top of my head;

• queens - yes (Edit 3 - struggling to find anything specifically talking about queens)
  • hive minds - partial yes. It’s not non-local FTL telepathic though. Also is more of an extreme hierarchical style thing rather than a group-mind. (Edit 3 - may be more towards a group mind than a hierarchical style thing. Only by inference though.)
(Though don’t take those as absolute statements. - I’ll fish out the relevant info and update.)

Edit 1 -

From OoTD:

“Each of us has to learn independently: verbally or via direct observation and experience—a clumsy and inefficient process. Oresrians can pass their experiences directly to others of their species. What I show the Oresrians here, every Oresrian will know when they return home.”

- hive mind of sorts, with it being not non-local/FTL. Said by a character, so subject to the usual considerations of things of that nature.

Also from OoTD:

“Culturally they still move slowly by our standards.”

- just for reference. Same provenance as previous quote with associated considerations.

From Galnet article https://community.elitedangerous.com/en/galnet/uid/57ada8969657baeb6e876c6c

“There are even rumours that the Thargoids have a collective consciousness or 'hive mind'”

- though this is obviously just a report about rumours, and the following line starts ‘Some of the less outlandish theories...’ so it could be read as potentially just rumour in that context.

Edit 2 -

From Galnet article https://community.elitedangerous.com/galnet/uid/5a2ab73cf1caf05371219512

“our analysis has revealed some intriguing details about how the Thargoids categorise geographical data. Indeed, it’s entirely possible that their concepts of territory differ dramatically from our own.”

Edit 4 -

Another one from OoTD

“Human individuality, the family unit: such quaint concepts. She is more than capable of understanding them. Like me, She recognises their irrelevance.”

- Quote is a human talking. ‘She’ is an Oresrian.

Last edited:
Plenty. Subject to the usual provisos of course!

Will add more details when I’ve got a min.

Off the top of my head;

• queens - yes
  • hive minds - partial yes. It’s not non-local FTL telepathic though. Also is more of an extreme hierarchical style thing rather than a group-mind.
(Though don’t take those as absolute statements. - I’ll fish out the relevant info and update.)

Edit 1 -

From OoTD:

“Each of us has to learn independently: verbally or via direct observation and experience—a clumsy and inefficient process. Oresrians can pass their experiences directly to others of their species. What I show the Oresrians here, every Oresrian will know when they return home.”

- hive mind of sorts, with it being not non-local/FTL. Said by a character, so subject to the usual considerations of things of that nature.

Also from OoTD:

“Culturally they still move slowly by our standards.”

- just for reference. Same provenance as previous quote with associated considerations.

From Galnet article https://community.elitedangerous.com/en/galnet/uid/57ada8969657baeb6e876c6c

“There are even rumours that the Thargoids have a collective consciousness or 'hive mind'”

- though this is obviously just a report about rumours, and the following line starts ‘Some of the less outlandish theories...’ so it could be read as potentially just rumour in that context.

Edit 2 -

From Galnet article https://community.elitedangerous.com/galnet/uid/5a2ab73cf1caf05371219512

“our analysis has revealed some intriguing details about how the Thargoids categorise geographical data. Indeed, it’s entirely possible that their concepts of territory differ dramatically from our own.”

So we can infer that individualism isn't really a Thargoid thing, if they are capable of sharing their experiences directly. I think that confirms that 'Klaxxians' is a human construction and that a Thargoid is more likely to say "We are Klaxx".

So we can infer that individualism isn't really a Thargoid thing, if they are capable of sharing their experiences directly. I think that confirms that 'Klaxxians' is a human construction and that a Thargoid is more likely to say "We are Klaxx".
Just added another quote from OoTD which is more pertinent:

“Human individuality, the family unit: such quaint concepts. She is more than capable of understanding them. Like me, She recognises their irrelevance.”

I guess it's down to what exactly we're meaning by individualism, etc. For example, while they can share experiences, I don't think we can construe them as thinking as one mind. The experience sharing needs physical proximity which would mean conversely that any Oresrian which isn't in physical proximity isn't 'connected' for want of a better word.

I think we've got to accept that Oresrian/Klaxxian is a human construction to some extent - it's just a 'closest human conceptual equivalent'.

Too many possible options for what the original is, most of which aren't exclusive to each other, to narrow it down IMHO.

Just added another quote from OoTD which is more pertinent:

I guess it's down to what exactly we're meaning by individualism, etc. For example, while they can share experiences, I don't think we can construe them as thinking as one mind. The experience sharing needs physical proximity which would mean conversely that any Oresrian which isn't in physical proximity isn't 'connected' for want of a better word.

I think we've got to accept that Oresrian/Klaxxian is a human construction to some extent - it's just a 'closest human conceptual equivalent'.

Too many possible options for what the original is, most of which aren't exclusive to each other, to narrow it down IMHO.

I agree with all that.

I don't think we can take the 'xx' as a clue :D

Maybe this is old news but I'm curious if anyone has investigated.

To the jewel that burns on the brow of the mother of galaxies! To the whisperer in witchspace, the siren of the deepest void! The parent's grief, the lover's woe, and the yearning of our vagabond hearts. To Raxxla!
— Alleged toast of the Dark Whee

So i researched ancient myths and found the egyptian goddess "hathor" mother of the universe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hathor
Notice her "crown"
Shes often depicted as bull, and icons show her birthing stars and the galaxiy. bull representationhttps://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/47/Hathor.svg/220px-Hathor.svg.png
We know her as the constellation taurus. That star in the middle of her horns- the crab nebula, an eccentric pulsar. Maybe it has a way to reach raxxla?? idk. So I'm on my way to investigate it now. 136 jumps one way fml. Im not much of a long distance explorer, more combat and mining. So hopefully I make it before getting bored.
Whats given me drive tho, is that i decided to investigate the lower region of taurus first. Its right next to the bubble. When I was in lower taurus. I came across the Ain system. Which strangely had an unregistered comm. It directs you to an INRA base in the same region. I'll return to that region to keep investigating if the crab nebula comes up nil.

Has anyone investigated taurus or the crab nebula (i know ppl have been there) as a location or means to jump to raxxla?

Last edited:
Maybe this is old new but I'm curious if anyone has investigated.

To the jewel that burns on the brow of the mother of galaxies! To the whisperer in witchspace, the siren of the deepest void! The parent's grief, the lover's woe, and the yearning of our vagabond hearts. To Raxxla!

So i researched ancient myths and found the egyptian goddess "hathor" mother of the universe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hathor
Notice her "crown"
Shes often depicted as bull, and icons show her birthing stars and the galaxiy. bull representationhttps://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/47/Hathor.svg/220px-Hathor.svg.png
We know her as the constellation taurus. That star in the middle of her horns- the crab nebula, an eccentric pulsar. Maybe it has a way to reach raxxla?? idk. So I'm on my way to investigate it now. 136 jumps one way fml. Im not much of a long distance explorer, more combat and mining. So hopefully I make it before getting bored.
Whats given me drive tho, is that i decided to investigate the lower region of taurus first. Its right next to the bubble. When I was in lower taurus. I came across the Ain system. Which strangely had an unregistered comm. It directs you to an INRA base in the same region. I'll return to that region to keep investigating if the crab nebula comes up nil.

Has anyone investigated taurus or the crab nebula (i know ppl have been there) as a location or means to jump to raxxla?

I was just there, did a complete survey, came up empty. I wholeheartedly encourage you to go do your own research in Crab, and also to read this thread:

Just did the Bubble Nebula also, I've seen it referenced here in the last day or so. I'm happy to answer questions, though I didn't find much.

Q

I was just there, did a complete survey, came up empty. I wholeheartedly encourage you to go do your own research in Crab, and also to read this thread:

Just did the Bubble Nebula also, I've seen it referenced here in the last day or so. I'm happy to answer questions, though I didn't find much.

Q

Good to know. I'll continue on though as well. When you say a full survey, did you do just they full system, or full nebula? As there don't seem to be too many stars there Im going to try and check them all. Thanks for the link, ive seen this name a lot but havent investigated it yet.

Maybe this is old news but I'm curious if anyone has investigated.

Notice her "crown"

Regarding getting there without getting bored:

Do stuff on the way (it appears that you are, which is great) because jumping alone for long distances is soul destroying even for those who love exploration. Scan stuff, take pictures, land on (low g) planets (with your shields up) and drive around shooting rocks. Just break up the monotony every 20 jumps or so, and you'll be fine.

It's the trip home that's always the killer, anyway :)

Good luck and have fun o7

Top Bottom