Simple Solution to Gankers versus Carebears

Speaking of reality

How frequent and under what conditions does that happen compared to Elite? How many civilians have free rein to do what they please with their F-15s? It's equally moot point as the one comparing elite to other games.
Comparisons to real life are always a bad idea, however..
We're not civilians in this game. In the Elite galaxy there are trillions that don't get to fly spaceships. Only a couple thousand that do.

It is almost as if you haven't red my post after that one or any of the previous ones

You also completely missed the point. Point was for a combat ship it's normal to be maxed out, while maxed out traders and explorers are being criticized, that's why there was the "considering this" quote in the end, the one you completely ignored. But it's alright, I'm used to people replying for the sake of making an argument.

Wait are'nt you criticizing combat builds though? Let's try to avoid double standards shall we.

Engineering is not the problem. The basic ship design probably is. Base hull values, and module configurations.

^This is the issue. For example the trade ships base weight and small FSD's almost ensuring that they cannot jump very far, or the FDL's base shield multiplyer/six utilities allowing such {REDACTED} levels of shielding, etc etc.

I just plainly said that if an F-15 were to intercept an airliner or cargo liner with orders to shoot it down.... it wouldn't stand a chance in hell.
I'm aware but you implied as if it was comparable to elite, which it isn't.

We're not civilians in this game.
We aren't, we're members of Pilots Federation, still closer to civilians than actual military structure. You buy your own ships, equip them your own way and do with them as you please. There are no orders given and conflicts between each other, even though within the same faction (pilots federation) are allowed.

Wait are'nt you criticizing combat builds though?
No, I was criticizing engineering and the fact that maxed explorers and traders are open for criticism while combat ships aren't, eventually agreed with Phisto as he made good points. I see you also like to read out of context.

Sure does'nt seem that out of context to me.
And like a couple before you, you missed a quote bellow that statement where Phisto stated that maxed out explorers and traders get their butts handed to them. That was the point I was addressing.

EDIT: You're also beating a dead horse at this point as I already stated I eventually agreed with Phisto

And like a couple before you, you missed a quote bellow that statement where Phistos stated that maxed out explorers and traders get their butts handed to them. That was the point I was addressing.

EDIT: You're also beating a dead horse at this point as I already stated I eventually agreed with Phisto

And as was also said a few back, the engineering is'nt so much the problem as the baseline ships themselves.

After all you can't polish a poop.

And as was also said a few back, the engineering is'nt so much the problem as the baseline ships themselves.

I agree with you and would add that awareness saves a lot of hull and rebuys too.
eventually agreed with Phisto as he made good points.

Can we please move on now? Also it would be far more beneficial to argue the argument and not the person behind it.

Nobody said anything about civilians flying F-15s.
I just plainly said that if an F-15 were to intercept an airliner or cargo liner with orders to shoot it down.... it wouldn't stand a chance in hell.
Like a lot of space opera there are parts of Elite that are aiming more for ye olde pirate swashbuckling feel (in a completely different setting of course), when merchantmen were often armed.

Who knows what we'd end up with now if fighter jets often attacked airliners? At least part of the reason we've got that disparity in the real world is because that sort of encounter is very rare.

Engineering benefits everyone, not just combat.

Explorers benefit most from FSD mods. So do traders.
In fact these 2 roles benefit the most from FSD mods because they tend to run light. Of course the freighters benefit less because of their smaller FSD modules.

Besides FSD mods, the various scanner mods for wider scan angle or longer range, all those also count for exploration tools, do they not?

Fighters benefit the least because most combat oriented ships have even smaller drive modules. And don't forget, most combat roles have reinforced or mil bulkheads which add A LOT to mass, and further decrease jump range. Stacking HRPs, MRPs and SCBs also add to mass.

Unfortunately, traders perhaps, get the shorter end of the stick, because there is not much you can do about physical cargo space.
The only thing they can do is to decide between going all out for the FSD mods so that they can out-HighWake an attacker, Engine mod for realspace speed, or tank up with a Mil bulkhead so that they can buy time tanking attacks on their way out of Dodge. They can also choose to stack SBs.

Engineering is not the problem. The basic ship design probably is. Base hull values, and module configurations.

Then again, if you put a 747 against an F-15, you already know what's gonna happen.
That's just a reality you have to face.

I agree that engineering isn't the problem. It just emphasizes an already existing problem. If SCBs, HRPs, MRPs and SBs were removed from the game and engineered shields and armour were the only sources of defense, the game would work much better. Balance between ships and roles would be manageable and lots of silly special effects and weapons would be redundant.

We aren't, we're members of Pilots Federation, still closer to civilians than actual military structure. You buy your own ships, equip them your own way and do with them as you please. There are no orders given and conflicts between each other, even though within the same faction (pilots federation) are allowed.

I think Pilots Federation members aren't civilians and way scarier than military. More like special individuals granted enormous power that affords us de facto above the law status.

We're amoral Avengers.

I think Pilots Federation members aren't civilians and way scarier than military. More like special individuals granted enormous power that affords us de facto above the law status.

We're amoral Avengers.
It's hard to determine what exactly as it encourages its members to kill each other (you progress through combat ranks faster when killing other commanders, unless I'm wrong?) So it's a very shady organization and not in any way relatable to real life, that's all I tried to point out.

Really when you come right down to it we're framing the "balance issue" all wrong, drawing the wrong categories. It doesn't matter whether a player is PvPer or a PvEer, whether they are a BGS jockey, a PP enthusiast, a determined hunter of the most beautiful screenshot in the galaxy, what mode they play in or anything else.

Right now, being a jerk is OP compared to other play styles. One can be that to others no matter what else you are doing in the game, one can also not be and still have a competitive play style. But boorishness is way OP. That's the real imbalance in ED. If it wasn't there, these other false "divides" in the player community would not exist.

How to fix it? I have no idea.

Really when you come right down to it we're framing the "balance issue" all wrong, drawing the wrong categories. It doesn't matter whether a player is PvPer or a PvEer, whether they are a BGS jockey, a PP enthusiast, a determined hunter of the most beautiful screenshot in the galaxy, what mode they play in or anything else.

Right now, being a jerk is OP compared to other play styles. One can be that to others no matter what else you are doing in the game, one can also not be and still have a competitive play style. But boorishness is way OP. That's the real imbalance in ED. If it wasn't there, these other false "divides" in the player community would not exist.

The special snowflakes could take a page from their boorish breathern and buck up a little.

I suppose the trade equivalent would be to successfully bankrupt another CMDR but there aren't any real means to do that trade-wise. Dunno what the exploration equivalent is, give someone the wrong directions?

dxm55

Banned
I suppose the trade equivalent would be to successfully bankrupt another CMDR but there aren't any real means to do that trade-wise. Dunno what the exploration equivalent is, give someone the wrong directions?

Probably buying off the ganker's ship, and then go off exploring in Solo.
Which is where all them gripy PVE types should go.....

The salt is gone. After the beginner area was made, if you are out of there, I suppose you have already had time to learn and develop your survival skills. It was always my only complaint about it since 2016 when I started playing.
After all you do not wake up in the nursery, the nurse changes your diapers, give you milk and the key the car that is waiting in the parking lot for you to go home alone.

Top Bottom