No one covered this yet? <Looks>... Nope.

The Witchhead isn’t locked. Never has been AFAIK.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure there is indeed a large permit locked section that includes at least part of the witch head nebula. AFAIK, the actual nebula isnt locked, but there is a permit locked area that is often referred to by it's proximity.

Edit: apparently, the locked sector is just "above" the nebula. Can't play today to verify, but i'm sure others will confirm

Last edited:
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure there is indeed a large permit locked section that includes at least part of the witch head nebula. AFAIK, the actual nebula isnt locked, but there is a permit locked area that is often referred to by it's proximity.

Edit: apparently, the locked sector is just "above" the nebula. Can't play today to verify, but i'm sure others will confirm
The Witchhead is one of various unlocked areas which are inside the Col 70 permit locked region.

Col 70 is roughly a 1,000 ly diameter sphere.

Unlocked sectors inside Col 70 include Witchhead, Spirograph, an NGC, Running Man, Orion, Flame, Barnards Loop. Horsehead Dark is also inside but is locked.

The Witchead Sector is at the ‘North’ so is surrounded by Col 70 on all sides except the ‘South’ and ‘South-East’ (maybe some of ‘East’ as well).

It’s been that way for a long long time.

The clue may be that Conda itself. Only a Hutton-Conda with pre-registered unique coords can find Raxxla !
Did you open the GalMap of this ship ? She may have unknown permits granted !
Yeah, opened up the Galmap. Think there was a bug though, there was already a route plotted when I opened it. No biggie though, just plotted a new one to where I was going. Couldn’t be bothered to put a bug report in for such a trivial issue.

The Witchhead is one of various unlocked areas which are inside the Col 70 permit locked region.

Col 70 is roughly a 1,000 ly diameter sphere.

Unlocked sectors inside Col 70 include Witchhead, Spirograph, an NGC, Running Man, Orion, Flame, Barnards Loop. Horsehead Dark is also inside but is locked.

The Witchead Sector is at the ‘North’ so is surrounded by Col 70 on all sides except the ‘South’ and ‘South-East’ (maybe some of ‘East’ as well).

It’s been that way for a long long time.
I'm trying to picture north and east and south on the Galaxy map as I rotate it and flip it upside down and all of those directions lose all meaning LOL

Harmless stuff, just a standard joke.

Sounds like we'd need a new hoax. Something outrageous, yet well researched and plausible, irresistible to your personal hopes and fears, raising just enough adrenalin to override some of the obstacles of a cold, deductive mind, and enter the realm of dreams and wild hypothesis. The mind can be a dangerous thing. You know you want to fight the apathy with myth echoes. Apotheosis is the birth of a culture.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bp2OYqHMPA

So I just got back from a short exploration trip and decided to drop my data off with the Dark Wheel - because you never know.

Except I realized that we DO know that giving exploration data to the Dark Wheel has no effect on our chances of finding Raxxla - beyond getting allied with the DW if you're not already.

"Why do we know this?" I can hear you asking - because Shinrarta Dezhra has only one orbital station, and the ownership of that station is locked to the Pilots' Federation. This means that prior to planetary landings, there were no stations owned by the DW, so no way to sell them exploration data, and therefore it can't be part of the Raxxla 'unlock' process.

Still, I sold it there anyway - because you never know ;)

Scytale

Banned
... and therefore it can't be part of the Raxxla 'unlock' process.
Yeah, we had that discussion here, years ago, (iirc, can't find the link, or was it in another thread ? ).
The thing was, if TDW is a key to find Raxxla, anything that increments your good relationship with them should be ok... Whatever the dynamics of the game offers at that precise time (CG, BGS, GalNet events, etc...)
Still, I sold it there anyway - because you never know ;)
This. Just this. Because, with FD's inconsistencies and game mechanics reworks it goes to show you never can tell.. ;)
C'est la vie.

I no longer have a sense of humour about Raxxla!
Your next piece of gear, Pa.
The one for Chimerae Hunters Squadron seasoned members only.
hNc7eFX.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, we had that discussion here, years ago, (iirc, can't find the link, or was it in another thread ? ).
The thing was, if TDW is a key to find Raxxla, anything that increments your good relationship with them should be ok... Whatever the dynamics of the game offers at that precise time (CG, BGS, GalNet events, etc...)

This. Just this. Because, with FD's inconsistencies and game mechanics reworks it goes to show you never can tell.. ;)
C'est la vie.

Your next piece of gear, Pa.
The one for Chimerae Hunters Squadron seasoned members only.
hNc7eFX.jpg

Is that so I can infiltrate NTDW meetings and find out where TRDW are?
Or just to make me look silly?? Might be a useful disguise to keep in my flight suit cargo pocket!

Been pondering the DW Codex entry “only a handful of the bravest and most competent pilots of each
generation are honoured with an invitation to join the group. It is futile to attemp to
contact the Dark Wheel on one's own initiative, however - it is always they who initiate
contact, initially in disguise, revealing their true identity only once a suitable test of
courage and skill has been discreetly administered, and passed.” Bearing in mind they’re “a legendary group of adventurers, explorers, investigators and treasure-hunters” I don’t think any assassination missions would form the test. Must be related to exploration/adventure/treasure hunting. And the implication is that it is only a single test, so no point repeating fruitless mssions?

And another thought-according to Felicity they “shut down” anyone pretending to to be Dark Wheel. So all we need to do is put out a rumour about someone, then follow whoever “shuts them down”!

P.S. keep it quiet but SCYTALE SAYS HE’S A MEMBER OF THE DARK WHEEL!
Now what did I do with that disguise?? 🤓

Scytale

Banned
Mmmh... TDW have spiked hair, iirc. The Chim Hun Sq gear is said to mitigate the effects of space madness, up to a point... (already posted some of my foolish errands.). For battered vet Rifters, mainly.
"A test of courage and skill."
Not much of these are needed for Exploration or Trade/Transport... Contrariwise to combat based activities. (Or very high G landings? Unique/rare systems very difficult to reach? Delicate smuggling/transporting missions?)
But it's true it could lead to search for missions and tip offs demanding specially these qualities. The test will be "discreetly administered", they say. So, we shouldn't discard anything demanding courage and skill. Also, discretion and disguise would imply that the test is administered by TDW people under cover. Allies ? Vassals ? Partners ? Assets?
But not SD TDW faction. Would be way too inconsistent, even in ED.
(Reminds me the first time I was received at Mariahcoch (E/F). The first welcoming speech was like "..we only work with la crème of our external partners.." But, these are happy past times..)
Currently, I think, Tharg related missions would be what demands most courage and skill. But do these missions/tip offs exist ?
Finishing a specific CG in the first place/ top ten ? Would that attract their attention ? Would be a good way of screening possible candidates to the final test.

Last edited:
Is that so I can infiltrate NTDW meetings and find out where TRDW are?
Or just to make me look silly?? Might be a useful disguise to keep in my flight suit cargo pocket!

Been pondering the DW Codex entry “only a handful of the bravest and most competent pilots of each
generation are honoured with an invitation to join the group. It is futile to attemp to
contact the Dark Wheel on one's own initiative, however - it is always they who initiate
contact, initially in disguise, revealing their true identity only once a suitable test of
courage and skill has been discreetly administered, and passed.” Bearing in mind they’re “a legendary group of adventurers, explorers, investigators and treasure-hunters” I don’t think any assassination missions would form the test. Must be related to exploration/adventure/treasure hunting. And the implication is that it is only a single test, so no point repeating fruitless mssions?

And another thought-according to Felicity they “shut down” anyone pretending to to be Dark Wheel. So all we need to do is put out a rumour about someone, then follow whoever “shuts them down”!

P.S. keep it quiet but SCYTALE SAYS HE’S A MEMBER OF THE DARK WHEEL!
Now what did I do with that disguise?? 🤓
Quite simple then. We start calling ourselves The Dark Wheel and let the come to us ...

Top Bottom