Could Frontier please demonstrate how to use the FSS enjoyably?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Well since everybody else gets to say the same thing over and over and over again for months on end, I guess it's my turn:

As a serious explorer, I personally love the FSS and related tools. When I drop out of hyperspace, I’m entering an entirely new and potentially undiscovered solar system. I mean, wow! Once I refuel my ship, I put a little distance between me and the star, then I “park” the ship, pop out of my pilot’s chair and go over to my science station (cue slide of Mr. Spock looking into his scanner). This is a seamless transition, like getting into my SRV.​
This “science station” is the output of a visual, radio, and gravimetric telescope array built into my ship’s sensors. It sees 3D space around my ship, with the ability to zoom in and focus on specific objects in the solar system. In order to automatically focus in on a specific object (focusing over long distances is no trivial task), I need to match the frequency of the telescope’s focal algorithm to that of the planet or signal – the “tuning the dial” part of the procedure. This lets me zoom in and focus both optically and radiometricly to both “see” the planet and generate detailed statistics. Like Galileo, once I “discover” a planet using my telescope, I get credit for that discovery, assuming I’m the first.​
Speaking of discovery, I really like that the system map remains unpopulated until I actually find, magnify, and catalog a planet. I was never a fan of the “Google Galaxy” map view we automatically were given with the ADS. That’s not discovery, that’s tourism.​
Now I can continue to scan the entire system from this parked location, or I can choose to immediately go to a planet of interest and map it. One of the advantages of the latter is that my ship will automatically detect and catalog any planets nearby. So for example, if I select a gas giant with a dozen moons, I just need to scan the GG in the FSS, and then fly to the GG and the moons will be all scanned and cataloged using the close-range sensors, thus greatly reducing my time using the FSS. Not mandatory, but it’s a cool little trick for CMDRs who like having a reason to fly to planets to explore them.​
I personally find the FSS very similar to real-life stargazing. I scan the sky IRL with my high-powered binoculars, finding planets and stars of interest, then crosscheck them using my astronomical software, which gives me a page of statistics. Then I can go visit them in my SUV….. Wait, forget that last part.​
It is possible to be very fast and efficient using the FSS with practice. That said, I actually enjoy the extra time it takes me to scan and catalog a system, followed by mapping and even landing on planets of interest. It adds a sense of immersion, accomplishment, depth, and scale that was sorely lacking before 3.3 dropped.​
That’s not to say I find the FSS and DSS to be perfect. I have a list of very minor changes and adjustments I’d like made to the FSS, DSS, and Analysis HUD. But I find the concepts Frontier implemented to be fun, engaging, immersive, brilliant!​

And you get to yell "send out a probe!" when you run the DSS!

:D S

Hey, funnily enough, I looked and posted about the exact same things when exploration activity was around its peak during DW2, before it had crashed.
But I digress.
If you can pick a different "statistical tool" and show a different outcome, by all means, share it with us! It ought to be interesting, and I don't mean this sarcastically.

Uhh. Did you actually read at the very least the numbers? We're talking about tens of thousands of systems scanned daily, and thousands of players. Do show me any Commander who has ever visited thousands of systems and tens of thousands of bodies every single day.

As for the argument from you and others that random samples don't work: that's just your opinion though, and in reality, statistical analysis through random sampling does work. If it didn't, then we wouldn't be posting these on computers.
The whole point is that if you pick a large enough random sample, then you can use it to draw conclusions that would be true for the entire population, within a certain margin of error. This has been very well established - but hey, so has the fact that the Earth isn't flat.

Moving back to the argument here, there is one point where things could be attacked, but I didn't. You're probably not going to like it though. One could argue that random selection isn't at play here, because those who upload to EDSM inherently explore more than those who don't. Probably because they are better invested. The data from DW2 actually supports this: see that 70% of those who actually finished DW2 were on EDSM, while at the start, only 39.5% of participants were.
The reason why I didn't use this was because I find it only natural that people would be more invested in finishing an expedition than they'd regularly be. In other words, that there's no significant difference between explorers who upload to EDSM and explorers who don't. I still might be wrong on this account though.

Looking at the distribution of in-game exploration stats on enough people from the non-EDSM group could actually help decide this. However, we have no way of getting this info, short of having lots of people send in their screenshots voluntarily. Curiously though, whenever they bring up the subject of how much they've explored, the most vocal FSS advocates don't seem to want to share this - not that three or four samples would be anywhere near enough. (I don't mean just the Elite rank itself though, but all the in-game stats. Elite in exploration these days is cheap enough that even on EDSM, it's the second most-common rank, after Aimless.)

One thing that I don't understand:

Sorry, who are you talking about here?
Were you referring to how far players might have to go for new systems? Well, in that case, boy will I have some data for you - you're not going to like it though. I still want to double-check it, because even I myself was surprised at how close new systems are found, daily. But if you can't wait, you can check an automatically compiled sheet on EDAstro already.
When I went out on DW2 it was over 1500ly until I found a virgin system. But I am pretty sure there are loads that are close that haven't been found.

But no, that is not what I was talking about. I am saying that new explorers will likely be travelling the well travelled routes to visit the sites. While they are still exploring, they will be finding far less virgin systems.

While you maybe correct that there is a decline in exploration, it may not be as bad is you think. Also that decline started well before the FSS came out and I don't expect that to change much until new planets become landable and there are more exploration activities to do on planets.

Last edited:
Oh, I know you disagree. But for me personally, the pre-3.3 ADS did remove all the mystery from a system I wanted to explore. Once something other than me had revealed all the interesting information of a system:
  • Orbital Heirarchies
  • Navigation Data
  • Relative positions of any planets and moons
not much remained except for an uninteresting grind for credits, "discovered" by tags, or minor trivia.
What you are referring to as interesting stuff is not … that is the niff-naff and trivial information.

The interesting stuff is the nature of the bodies which the pre-3.3 ADS honk did not reveal and neither does the auto-reveal of non-virgin systems.

The long and the short of it is FD have an obligation to retain the pre-3.3 exploration experience in some shape or form and to not do so would be essentially breeching the consumer rights of those that have invested in the exploration since release. FD may own the IP of their product but they are bound by consumer trading laws and essentially were ill-advised to change things as they have done.

The long and the short of it is FD have an obligation to retain the pre-3.3 exploration experience in some shape or form and to not do so would be essentially breeching the consumer rights of those that have invested in the exploration since release. FD may own the IP of their product but they are bound by consumer trading laws and essentially were ill-advised to change things as they have done.

No.

EDIT: If they should be bound by anything such-like, it should be the design discussions we had early on.

What you are referring to as interesting stuff is not … that is the niff-naff and trivial information.

The interesting stuff is the nature of the bodies which the pre-3.3 ADS honk did not reveal and neither does the auto-reveal of non-virgin systems.

Wrong on so many levels.

No.

EDIT: If they should be bound by anything such-like, it should be the design discussions we had early on.
Sorry, but once a product has been released they are bound by trading standards and similar regulations.

Design Discussions became moot regarding existing material once the product had been released - regarding "additional" material they may or may not carry any weight but based on what I have heard the Design Discussions are now a moot consideration in the main and ED are not obliged to stick to anything that was said in them regarding how or what future content is implemented.

Last edited:
Just for a change... does a video exist from the past that demonstrates how to use the ADS enjoyable?
So that I can learn how such an attribute like "enjoyable" possibly can be "demonstrated"?

Not enjoyably perhaps. But here is a little vid I made a few years ago to demonstrate how absurdly dull exploration became with the honk-scoop-system-map-jump routine:

Honk-jump exploration

Sorry, but once a product has been released they are bound by trading standards and similar regulations.

Design Discussions became moot regarding existing material once the product had been released - regarding "additional" material they may or may not carry any weight but based on what I have heard the Design Discussions are now a moot consideration in the main and ED are not obliged to stick to anything that was said in them regarding how or what future content is implemented.

No again! We had paid rather good money for the product already then - a lot more than what later players did, and were (or so we thought) discussing how the product would end up looking with FD. So by your odd ideas of consumer rights, we should have the DDF outcome in the game now, or our money back.

The FSS is a nice first step towards getting something of the spirit of the DDF into the game. Finally.

No again! We had paid rather good money for the product already then - a lot more than what later players did, and were (or so we thought) discussing how the product would end up looking with FD. So by your odd ideas of consumer rights, we should have the DDF outcome in the game now, or our money back.
Not even close - I suggest you have a closer look at the Kick Starter conditions - the DDF outcome was mere discussion with no promise of outcome nor delivery.

FD fulfilled their software release obligations to kick starters essentially at the point of making V1.0 release.

FTR Investing in a Kickstarter project is not the same as buying a product, it is a form of venture capital investment which under the restrictions of Kickstarter rules can not offer shares or any interest equivalent to them. Only tangible/digital goods are notionally allowed as benefits of investing in a successful Kickstarter project and any extra design discussion rights basically should be ending at the point of either project failure or initial release. If the project had failed, then FD would have notionally not been under any obligations to the Kickstarters except perhaps where making available any achieved releasable content may be concerned.

People that bought the product via one of the e-stores though are clearly covered by the prevailing provisions of consumer rights laws including but not limited to maintaining the product essentially in it's original form (albeit perhaps with additional scope later on). The placeholder argument regarding the original exploration mechanics and it's removal lost any legitimacy a long time ago.

Not even close - I suggest you have a closer look at the Kick Starter conditions - the DDF outcome was mere discussion with no promise of outcome nor delivery.

FD fulfilled their software release obligations to kick starters essentially at the point of making V1.0 release.

FTR Investing in a Kickstarter project is not the same as buying a product, it is a form of venture capital investment which under the restrictions of Kickstarter rules can not offer shares or any interest equivalent to them. Only tangible/digital goods are notionally allowed as benefits of investing in a successful Kickstarter project and any extra design discussion rights basically should be ending at the point of either project failure or initial release. If the project had failed, then FD would have notionally not been under any obligations to the Kickstarters except perhaps where making available any achieved releasable content may be concerned.

People that bought the product via one of the e-stores though are clearly covered by the prevailing provisions of consumer rights laws including but not limited to maintaining the product essentially in it's original form (albeit perhaps with additional scope later on). The placeholder argument regarding the original exploration mechanics and it's removal lost any legitimacy a long time ago.

Why don't you take that up with FD then? I'm sure they will change everything back to the dreary old ADS slog just for you, and disregard the (seemingly) vast majority that are silently enjoying the added game play that arrived with the FSS.

Just for a change... does a video exist from the past that demonstrates how to use the ADS enjoyable?
You do understand that the ADS that you so much hate is the map don't you, it came in three flavours BDS, IDS and the much hated and always maligned ADS.
The ADS (full map) was always held as pretty poor because it said "there is no more, you have everything there is to see" and you always want more!
So really the question you ask so cockily is very silly, because it's a map and how can you have a video on how to enjoyably look at a map!

What you trying to show is that the FSS is more enjoyable than looking at a map because you do stuff first then look at the same map...

I will say on all this talk of exploring stuff that's already technically known about, the moment the new version of the DSS was implemented, literally the first thing I did was fly to Sol, just so that I could experience the joy of probing Uranus.

I will say on all this talk of exploring stuff that's already technically known about, the moment the new version of the DSS was implemented, literally the first thing I did was fly to Sol, just so that I could experience the joy of probing Uranus.

The quality of that joke was uncannily similar to the quality of this thread. :)

I've personally now experienced that the ADS and FSS compliment each other wonderfully.

Over many hundred pages, anyone arguing against appeal for compromise is arguing their own personal prior prejudice against some aspect of the ads. Id suggest they are not actually speaking from post 3.3 exploration, but from inside their own heads. Sticking to the real game that we're playing now i think is strong.

This old dog revived the alt account this weekend, and went back to the main account's old playground of Synufe ( sic) sector. I bought a new DBX explorer, and used it to go over the days when I only had a BDS or IDS.

The area has been strip mined. I did pick up the odd undiscovered object.

The FSS has changed things. The sense of wonder in my old logs is gone. That new ship allows 50+ light year jumps. The FSS encourages the complete tagging of entire systems. In less than a week, I had covered the most enjoyable, early part of my exploration. Went to the Witch Head ports, just to capture them as well. Too many non-human signals to make it very enjoyable. And, very little untrodden ground.

Going back to the main account to just make money was a relief. :(

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom