Stupid Griefers are Everywhere!

And I'm not talking about Elite Dangerous. Well, I am, but the title is inspired by griefers in Overwatch, a team-based PvP game with no friendly fire. I've grown sick of trying to place in competitive matches, only to have "team" mates throw the match. Last night was just another example of some yahoo on our team who would run up to the enemy and then trigger their dancing emoji, thus dying over and over again. Despite being a very slight distraction, we had an unbalanced 5 vs 6 match. I've seen worse where a couple of buddies join and throw the match together, making it a 4 or even 3 vs 6 match. Unfortunately our ranking is based on TEAM performance, so no matter how good I play, these other idiots completely ruin competitive mode. I've pretty much given up on it.

What does this have to do with Elite? As I said, Overwatch is a game that should be free of griefers (no friendly-fire). But where there is a will, there is a way. At least in Elite, most griefers are playing within the rules of the game. I know what to expect when I go to ShinDez or Deciat, and we have a variety of ways to work around griefers. In Overwatch, my only option is to report them, and I've reported so many that I wonder if Blizzard even takes me seriously anymore. With this in mind, my opinion is "in flux" regarding whether Frontier should do more to stop griefing in ED. I think I'd rather be shot at using legitimate PvP gameplay than to have griefers blocking landing pads or flying in front of me as I try to shoot bad guys or any other of the unconventional griefing I see in almost every other PvP game. Maybe this is why Battle Royal is so popular - it's hard to be screwed over by teammates when it's a team of one.

BTW, this is just focusing on the ability to shoot other CMDRs in ED, not PvP balance, ramming exploits, and the other things many of us consider broken in the game.

At least in Elite, most griefers are playing within the rules of the game. I know what to expect when I go to ShinDez or Deciat, and we have a variety of ways to work around griefers.

Bingo! :)

giphy.gif

In Overwatch, my only option is to report them
Same here. That game is ruined by the players but I do not care about my competitive rating. I prefer having fun from the game in a good random team.
Also I report every time I see "duck" word in a chat.

Not very keen on the new role choosing thing
I liked that they give money or loot boxes if you play specific roles.

Edit:
BTW, this is just focusing on the ability to shoot other CMDRs in ED
Weapons should damage only hostile or not hostile targeted vessels?..

Last edited:
I'm reserving my laughs to when spacelegs(tm) is released, and we hump around on one leg, with one arm, and 3 fingers on the hand, with the promise(tm) of that the feature(tm) will be improved later(tm) if players are using it.
:)

EDIT: inserted smiley for the sake of sanity (others, not mine)

connection error. could not connect to leg server

also unlimited resource exploit by shooting crystal while standing on it.

Brings to mind a particular tv trope which I don' think the mods would let me link here. All Humans Are something something.

Similar thing happened with team fortress (and team fortress 2) and I guess just about anywhere humans are involved.

The rise of anon sites gave life to oneupsmanship, so now the edgelord thing to do online is be the most creative troll. There are very very few creative ones, but there is an overabundance of tryhards. While a really good, creative grief can be entertaining for people other than just the griefer, the subset of entry level gum smackers are just annoying, like flies at a picnic while the creative unicorn is the eagle who snatches food. Unfortunately most people encounter the flies, not the eagle who swooped in and took your sandwich. Most of us would be ok with losing a sandwich to an eagle, but not to flies.

So in essence, the eagle becomes less of a griefer than the flies, even if more entertaining. The flies win.

This is a design consideration pure and simple. The game designers want these features included in the game. Toggling player damage (except by NPC security forces) in a station or high security system is a design possibility, but FDEV does not want that design feature.

Who cares what their motivations are, they seem to have given up trying to address it other than the clunky C&P system and soft-exposure noob systems.

This game is in such a weird place right now, being on a maintenance mode for more than a year.

It would be nice if there was some clear communication about ganking mechanics and consequences for the next major update. Does FDEV feel that the current C&P and noob systems are sufficient to address these things and are "in a good place right now"? Will there be new or different mechanics with respect to these aspects of the game?

I see fewer and fewer players in game over time (in Open). Game's not dead - but with my tiny sample size, it doesn't feel like an mmo - even in popular systems.

There are the usual guys looking for a fight (which is a good thing), a few guys looking to pop noobs (which is a thing that is possible with the game mechanics), and very few guys hauling stuff. Even at Thargoid cgs I'm seeing just a couple of people at most. Maybe it's my time zone (PST), but the multplayer aspect of this thing feels very purposeless right now.

Top Bottom