Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Then if you haven't been out into the black yet, you will find it compelling. There is something infinitely peaceful about being many thousands of light years from the bubble, with the panoply of creation all around, it's celestial mechanics performing just as expected whether or not there is anyone there.

I would always land somewhere at the end of a session, so that I knew my ship was going to be exactly where I left it. I'd always try and find somewhere scenic, and those last moments when touchdown was completed, the engines ran down to a gentle stop, and I was left staring at strange suns over a new world in silence were deeply peaceful. Occasioanlly, Elite would time things really well and start playing the gentle piano-based exploration music after landing, which just added to the atmosphere :)

Just remember to take an AFMU and a mining laser with you at the least :)

I've been playing for 18 months now, and there is still so much left that I want to do. It isn't going to get old easily.

I think, sir, you have a poet in you! Very eloquent!

I've just looked aty that latest engineer to pop her head up from the, I think, Witchead Nebula so I may do a jaunt over there - only 16 jumps too!

I think, sir, you have a poet in you! Very eloquent!

I've just looked aty that latest engineer to pop her head up from the, I think, Witchead Nebula so I may do a jaunt over there - only 16 jumps too!

Why, thank you very much indeed :) I have been known to write a bit, when the mood strikes me.

16 jumps, especially if not conducting a scan, is a hop-skip-and-a-jump, you'll be there in no time. The night that they introduced the planet-mapping, I was camped out in the Crab Pulsar, waiting to nab the two planets there. I did, and then remembered that Station X was only about 16ly from the Pulsar, so I couldn't sell the carto data there and get the "First Mapped" tag. So I set off to Buckyball 2kly to the Jellyfish nebula and the nearest asteroid base, which I did in less than 30 minutes if I remember correctly. Mission achieved; the two planets in the Crab Pulsar are forever mine :)

If anyone is heading to the Witch Head there are still a couple of stations being repaired and a load of Berylium would be appreciated, other things are needed but that is the one needed in big numbers.

Just returning with a load myself so 34 jumps to get there in my T9.

Well that was a odd one. No idea what happened except "Oh look. The rebuy screen".

On the way to get some sensor fragments. Two consecutive hyperdictions - watch out kids, always sccop when you can because a hyperdiction means your jump is interrupted but you've still used the fuel.

Sz5mWAa.jpg

Got to the planet, mapped it, found the crashed 'goid ship location and merrily flew on down. The next thing I knew "Hull integrity compromised! Eject! Eject! Eject!". Er... wha... why? Kabloomsky. Oof. 1.7mCR rebuy please.

Any ideas? I was a few KM above the surface so pretty sure I didn't crash into anything. I did get a "scan detected" alert about 1 nanosecond before implosion.

/headscratch :confused:

Well that was a odd one. No idea what happened except "Oh look. The rebuy screen".

On the way to get some sensor fragments. Two consecutive hyperdictions - watch out kids, always sccop when you can because a hyperdiction means your jump is interrupted but you've still used the fuel.

Sz5mWAa.jpg

Got to the planet, mapped it, found the crashed 'goid ship location and merrily flew on down. The next thing I knew "Hull integrity compromised! Eject! Eject! Eject!". Er... wha... why? Kabloomsky. Oof. 1.7mCR rebuy please.

Any ideas? I was a few KM above the surface so pretty sure I didn't crash into anything. I did get a "scan detected" alert about 1 nanosecond before implosion.

/headscratch :confused:
did you have something in your cargo hold. Perhaps something Thargoid-ey, corrosiv-ey?

Gathering a few materials and applying the finishing engineering touches to my Exploraconda in preparation for the Stellar Unknown expedition. This will be my first time using one as all my previous exploration was done in an AspX with a few nearer hops to places like the Pleiades in a DBX. I'm also excited because it's my first real organized deep space expedition. I've gone out by myself a lot, been on a planetary circumnavigation expedition and the fairly short/local Apollo 11 Anniversary Expedition that took me less than 48 hours to finish. Stellar Unknown will be longer than any expedition I've taken on my own, it ends at Sag A* which I've been to a couple times but this takes a route which goes out to the edge of the galaxy before heading back coreward. Which is why I decided to get me one them Exploracondas I've seen on the YouTubes. It was originally intended for a combat role so it has the not-so-explorational name of Thunder Child (the fighting ship from War Of The Worlds, as opposed to my AspX with the more fitting name of Far Star from Asimov's Foundation novels) but I think it's going to work out very well and I'm looking forward to getting it out there.

Haven't looked at logs yet, but I think I know what happened... will check and confirm.

Cheers.

Am on the crashed Goid site now...

ETA - have EDDiscovery running now but can't see how it works. Just says the event was "died" but doesn't state how.

Anyway, my theory was that I hit the spike in the middle of the impact crater. Because, foolishly, I didn't see it as I didn't have night vision on. Only thinh I can think of unless I can be enlightened on EDDiscovery's useage :D

2nd ETA

Unlocked Chloe. The thing is, it was only 16 jumps and that flew by. It's given me the smallest sliver of a taste to venture further. Perhaps I have early onset space madness.

Last edited:
Top Bottom