ED VR - upgrade thoughts - Rift CV1 to Rift S

Yes, generally wouldn't use SS and FXAA together. One or the other I think. I prefer FXAA and leave it to HMD to sharpen.

Status update: I have managed to find a decent "strapping on" technique for my CV1 so it feels ok to wear for around 30-45 minutes. The settings I landed on was almost everything to low, and SS 1.0, 1.75 HMD with FXAA. Still we go into asw in stations and usual places, but the screen clarity is peeking relative to performance.
I have started experimenting with SS 0.75 and HMD 2.0 but the visuals does not seem to change, as does performance appear to be the same.

All in all, I am enjoying my CV1 experience much better. An urge to pick up other VR games have also started to show its face.

Still considering the Rift S upgrade. There is no HMD that doesnt come with a compromise, and I think the Rift S is the best for me. Valve's offers would lock me to Steam - and I really hate that platform/bloatware. WMR headsets suffers from poor tracking apparently and ty controllers. Oculus has great controllers and a decent software ecosystem. Oculus also appears (from what I read) to have he best ASW tech.

Rift S upgrade would however require a sound setup (I think) - and and that is the Rift S's largest downfall.

Status update: I have managed to find a decent "strapping on" technique for my CV1 so it feels ok to wear for around 30-45 minutes. The settings I landed on was almost everything to low, and SS 1.0, 1.75 HMD with FXAA. Still we go into asw in stations and usual places, but the screen clarity is peeking relative to performance.
I have started experimenting with SS 0.75 and HMD 2.0 but the visuals does not seem to change, as does performance appear to be the same.

All in all, I am enjoying my CV1 experience much better. An urge to pick up other VR games have also started to show its face.

Still considering the Rift S upgrade. There is no HMD that doesnt come with a compromise, and I think the Rift S is the best for me. Valve's offers would lock me to Steam - and I really hate that platform/bloatware. WMR headsets suffers from poor tracking apparently and poopooty controllers. Oculus has great controllers and a decent software ecosystem. Oculus also appears (from what I read) to have he best ASW tech.

Rift S upgrade would however require a sound setup (I think) - and and that is the Rift S's largest downfall.
For me the S was a big upgrade from the cv1. Sound doesn't bother me like some people. The quality of text is a big improvement and ease of use is just a game changer. I also had a pimax which I sold in the end for a big loss

Reading this thread it seems a disappointing aspect of the Rift S is the sound.

I use "Boom 3D" to enhance the sound on my Rift CV1. It works OK, but the CV1 has decent sound anyway so not a game changer. However, may be a different story with Rift S assuming the hardware is not the only reason for the poor sound quality.

A 30 day free trial of the app can be downloaded from the Boom 3D website here (will cost around A$20 to buy though). Pretty simple to install. Basically, install and choose a profile (has some presets). Restart 'puter and make sure the app is running in the taskbar. It will then direct all game sound in enhanced 3D to your selected output device - headphones in the case of VR. Then adjust volume and equaliser, etc. to own taste.

I'd be interested in the results if anyone decides to give the app a go on the Rift S :)

Last edited:
Reading this thread it seems a disappointing aspect of the Rift S is the sound.

I use "Boom 3D" to enhance the sound on my Rift CV1. It works OK, but the CV1 has decent sound anyway so not a game changer. However, may be a different story with Rift S assuming the hardware is not the only reason for the poor sound quality.

A 30 day free trial of the app can be downloaded from the Boom 3D website here (will cost around A$20 to buy though). Pretty simple to install. Basically, install and choose a profile (has some presets). Restart 'puter and make sure the app is running in the taskbar. It will then direct all game sound in enhanced 3D to your selected output device - headphones in the case of VR. Then adjust volume and equaliser, etc. to own taste.

I'd be interested in the results if anyone decides to give the app a go on the Rift S :)

The Rift S sound is only terrible because of the rubbish built in speakers.

It sounds fine with a decent pair of headphones or earbuds. Upgraded my cheapo test Bluetooth earbuds to Jabra Elite 65t true wires ones primarily because I took up running and they work great with the Rift S. They sound much better than the CV1 integrated ones and I was happy with those.

It sounds fine with a decent pair of headphones or earbuds. Upgraded my cheapo test Bluetooth earbuds to Jabra Elite 65t true wires ones primarily because I took up running and they work great with the Rift S. They sound much better than the CV1 integrated ones and I was happy with those.
Are there any audio delay when using bluetooth?

That's a good point, I've been thinking of getting a pair of BT headphones, just so i can avoid the additional wires to get tangled in, hadn't considered possible audio delay in a game.. be interested to know as well. (I assume there isn't as no one has mentioned this, but we all know what assumption is!)

Not that I’ve noticed gaming with the Jabra ones. Just did some testing with video...

The cheapo ones had a noticeable delay, especially with with video. With the Jabra ones there is a very slight delay on YouTube but none with the Netflix app on my PC. There is a slight delay with my phone on Netflix and YouTube but totally watchable. My cheapo ones are unusable for video on my phone.

I’m using video to compare as the lip syncing is so easy to spot. Gaming is a bit harder to compare because it’s probably affected by input lag and such. With the Jabra I can’t see any delay with games but on the cheap ones I could but it wasn’t as bad as with video.

It’s interesting there is a difference between my phone and PC. I guess the Intel wireless chip on my network card is better at Bluetooth than the chip in my iPhone.

Yep, if the speakers are rubbish software isn't going to help.

Yep, if the speakers are rubbish software isn't going to help.

A software solution would certainly improve them. There was a post a while back about a Microsoft sound setting that boosts the sound and it improves them a lot but there still isn’t really any bass. It works well with some games like Star Trek bridge crew, where there isn’t really much bass anyway.

I should give the built in ones another go as there have been a few firmware updates since I tried them last but the main issue is they are too weak and don’t point towards your ears .

If you are looking at buying a Rift S I’d give them a try before spending a fair bit on additional headphones in case you get on with them but it’s something you should expect probably to not be happy with.

The Rift S speakers is what's stopping me from getting one atm. I'm using the CV1 stock phones at the moment, coupled with Bass Shakers for that extra oumph. Been thinking of replacing the CV1 phones with my regular large on-ear phones (Beyerdynamic DT770), but since the CV1 phones does the job ok I never got around to it. Is it even possible to wear large phones like those with the Rift S?

The Rift S speakers is what's stopping me from getting one atm. I'm using the CV1 stock phones at the moment, coupled with Bass Shakers for that extra oumph. Been thinking of replacing the CV1 phones with my regular large on-ear phones (Beyerdynamic DT770), but since the CV1 phones does the job ok I never got around to it. Is it even possible to wear large phones like those with the Rift S?
In my opinion, if you care about sound in ED you should be using a 5.1 system instead of heaphones at all since the positional feel is much better and it's a seated game; compared to most VR games where you're moving around and head mounted audio is a must. But if you're really wanting to use big, over-ear cans you should find a store demo local to you so you can put it on your head and try the fit.

In my opinion, if you care about sound in ED you should be using a 5.1 system instead of heaphones at all since the positional feel is much better and it's a seated game; compared to most VR games where you're moving around and head mounted audio is a must. But if you're really wanting to use big, over-ear cans you should find a store demo local to you so you can put it on your head and try the fit.
I do have an old Logitech 5.1 system as well, but unfortunately my gaming room acoustics are less than stellar (It's a very small room, and I can very much hear that it is, which is kind of immersion-breaking in VR. I sometimes have the 5.1 on low volume just to widen the sound field a bit, but I mostly rely on the headphones+shakers for VR gaming. Also, headphone positional audio seems to work fairly well for me.).
What I would really love to see in ED is the ability to send different sounds to different outputs (as in comm/voice to the headset, engine sounds to the 5.1 etc), that would open up for some really crazy sound setups! :)

I do have an old Logitech 5.1 system as well, but unfortunately my gaming room acoustics are less than stellar (It's a very small room, and I can very much hear that it is, which is kind of immersion-breaking in VR. I sometimes have the 5.1 on low volume just to widen the sound field a bit, but I mostly rely on the headphones+shakers for VR gaming. Also, headphone positional audio seems to work fairly well for me.).
What I would really love to see in ED is the ability to send different sounds to different outputs (as in comm/voice to the headset, engine sounds to the 5.1 etc), that would open up for some really crazy sound setups! :)
Oh that’s a bummer about acoustics. So, yes, headphones are the best solution to bad acoustics.

I don’t have your headphones to try out, but over-ear headphones do tend to fit over rift s and are very comfortable. (One main feature of rift s is comfort) I do have Sony 7506 and they do fit well. I just snapped a pic for you. The headphone band gets extended about halfway to fit over the halo. My head is quite large. (XL motorcycle helmet size)
MMM not taking the photo attachment from my phone. computer edit:
IMG_5351.jpg

Last edited:
Oh that’s a bummer about acoustics. So, yes, headphones are the best solution to bad acoustics.
I don’t have your headphones to try out, but over-ear headphones do tend to fit over rift s and are very comfortable. (One main feature of rift s is comfort) I do have Sony 7506 and they do fit well. I just snapped a pic for you. The headphone band gets extended about halfway to fit over the halo. My head is quite large. (XL motorcycle helmet size)
That looks perfectly ok, I've seen some alarming images where the headphones ended up halfway on top of the headband. This is reassuring :)

That looks perfectly ok, I've seen some alarming images where the headphones ended up halfway on top of the headband. This is reassuring :)
Yeah, I think it should be checked with the headphones you want to use. They are sitting lower on my ear than when I'm using them at work, since the halo does push them down a little, but my earlobe still fits comfortably inside the pad and isn't squished at all.
Different size headphones will vary. But as long as they have a good size band and enough dexterity on the yolk... I expect generally pro headphones will have high enough build quality.

But there are in-store demos available in best buy and Microsoft stores. Look on the rift site and definitely call the store before you go in, to make sure it's really there and on display.

Biggest problem with the Rift S i have is the large adjustment button in the back of my headset.
I get tired in my neck as i cant rest my head properly against my chair.
Another thing is the hand controllers that cant be turned of. They drain the battery quite fast. Only way is to remove the batteries when iam not using them.
And playing at evening/night in a dark room can sometimes mess up the tracking. It require some descent background light.

So this Rift S, is it a good "first time" VR rig? My only other VR was PSVR, and IIRC Rift S is similar in construction (which I like). I'm guessing it has better resolution than PSVR based on comments in another thread.

Oh, and what is "ASW"?

Top Bottom