PvP Behold, the great Fdev Ganker filter..

Planetside 2 is probably the best example of an open world MMO PVP game, no PVE at all.

Darkfall online, you could attack anyone anywhere and if you died your whole inventory fell on the ground for anyone to pick up.

Age of Conan, PVP everywhere without restrictions, wanna gank someone doing business at the auction house? Sure, go ahead!

Ultima Online, hell yeah.

etc etc etc..
Thx!

Planetside 2 is probably the best example of an open world MMO PVP game, no PVE at all.

Darkfall online, you could attack anyone anywhere and if you died your whole inventory fell on the ground for anyone to pick up.

Age of Conan, PVP everywhere without restrictions, wanna gank someone doing business at the auction house? Sure, go ahead!

Ultima Online, hell yeah.

etc etc etc..

Heck, I completely forgot about Sea of Thieves.
Planeteside 2 - PvP is the only thing to do, no nobody cries about it. "Ganking" is practically impossible in a shooter game, therefore nobody talks about it.

The others I don't know about, never played them so I won't answer.

i always knew there was something fishy about you ... :ROFLMAO:

you're totally right. i'm not justifying the "ganking is all that's left" meme, at all. but there is a point to be made against marketing this game as pvp ready. it's a joke. and it doesn't need to be perfect, just working. see, "world of warcraft" can be liked or disliked but is a perfect example of a curated pvp open world environment. it isn't rocket science, it just has to be taken into account. "all modes are equal" is just nonsense. i can't even ...
Zeus isn't fishy. Poseidon is.

And yeah, Elite is lacking in PvP content. There's no question about that.

Although all modes are very much equal :p

Is there an open world game which is the shining example of PvP done well?

Games that have open world, full loot PvP and substantive progression(1) don't do well.
All the games I've seen try this end up expanding the safe zones considerably or limp by with very tiny populations.

NOTES
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1: Substantive progression is where a vet player, either through levels or gear, can become immensely more powerful than new players.

Imo, the PVP content in elite is that you can attack anyone, anywhere, for any reason. There's nothing evil about destroying other commanders, as everyone can decide if they wish to take the risk of getting attacked or not.

Looking at the game mechanics, basically we are all enemies, but we can decide not to shoot at each other :D

Planeteside 2 - PvP is the only thing to do, no poopoo nobody cries about it. "Ganking" is practically impossible in a shooter game, therefore nobody talks about it.

The others I don't know about, never played them so I won't answer.

Some people actually do other stuff in PS2, like stunting with vehicles. They get very angry and send rage tells if you blow up their harasser or flash :)

If this was a competitive-based game, I wouldn't be so harsh in that regard.

The game is riddled with competitive mechanisms.

Is there an open world game which is the shining example of PvP done well?

Doesn't have to be a space game, just any MMO game which allows, perhaps even forces, PvP.

Jumpgate.

It's largely defunct now, but it had a good run. Was never going to achieve mass market appeal, but few games worth playing ever do.

I played quite a bit of Planetside 2, but I consider it's to suffer from very similar problems to ED's competitive features.

Planeteside 2 - PvP is the only thing to do, no poopoo nobody cries about it. "Ganking" is practically impossible in a shooter game, therefore nobody talks about it.

If anything, I found PS2's PvP more susceptible to the negative aspects of such behavior than ED.

Can't even count how many times I saw groups of players switch sides to teamkill the opposing force when things weren't going their way.

And PvP being the only thing to do didn't make it automatically better...the goals were just as arbitrary and the gameplay did just as poor a job facilitating them.

The game is riddled with competitive mechanisms.

No, it is really not. The only thing actually "competitive" in this game would be CQC, but nobody wants to talk about that in threads like this ;), another would be PP, but this is another mechanic that also nobody cares about. But at least it has something worth doing it for, out of all the superpowers, only like 2-3 of them have toys worth any amount of playtime to get. The rest is just...imma be honest here, they're just garbage, pure all round downgrades across the board. If FDev wants to change em up a bit and tweak them without giving them a "buff" perchance, then fine. But as it stands now, there's still no "competition" to be had. If you know your BGS, it's easy. CG's don't count because that's just basically glorified HazRez ratting or A-B trading like most of us do already to begin with. The only true competition you can probably count would maybe be Bucky ball racing or other community held events, that's it. But there is NO DEFAULT competitive mechanics within the game itself.

Jumpgate.

It's largely defunct now, but it had a good run. Was never going to achieve mass market appeal, but few games worth playing ever do.

N/A for me

I played quite a bit of Planetside 2, but I consider it's to suffer from very similar problems to ED's competitive features.

It's far more actual competitive than Elite currently is, or ever was to date. I mean, I put in some fair hours into that game as well.

If anything, I found PS2's PvP more susceptible to the negative aspects of such behavior than ED.

No you have not, how can you gank when you're amist a battle of 3 sides, each totaling of up to, but not stopping at, hundreds of players per army

Can't even count how many times I saw groups of players switch sides to teamkill the opposing force when things weren't going their way.

You can tk in any game that does not have either a toggle for friendly fire, or has no friendly fire protections at all. So what?

And PvP being the only thing to do didn't make it automatically better...the goals were just as arbitrary and the gameplay did just as poor a job facilitating them.

I never said it was.

*Underlined bold itatlics are original poster's quotes. Plain text is my reply within the quote as I was too lazy to try to figure out how to separate his one post into chunks.

Last edited:
"Competition arises whenever at least two parties strive for a goal which cannot be shared: where one's gain is the other's loss."

Like, if Player A wants to get to a port to sell his goods and Player B wants to blow him up.
You're stretching by a loooong shot, my friend. Careful there, or else that might snap back on ya like a rubber band

No, it is really not.

We have first discovered/scanned tags, bounty boards, all sorts of leader boards, and competing BGS factions that influence nearly all aspects of the game to some degree or another.

The game would be broadly competitive even if Solo were the only mode.

No you have not

Don't presume to dictate my experiences to me.

I've experienced more overtly unintended negative PvP in my 1500 hours of PS2 than I have in my 6500 hours of Open in ED, and it's not even close.

how can you gank when you're amist a battle of 3 sides, each totaling of up to, but not stopping at, hundreds of players per army

Not all battles in PS2 feature three sides or anywhere near so many players.

When I'm playing a key role in a battle and the entire enemy side switches to my faction to kill my character and destroy the assets he's using to oppose them, in order to turn the tide, I think that would qualify as a 'gank'.

Many 'ganks' in Planetside 2 and most unintended forms of combat have to do with players switching sides to sabotage the opposition.

Imo, the PVP content in elite is that you can attack anyone, anywhere, for any reason. There's nothing evil about destroying other commanders, as everyone can decide if they wish to take the risk of getting attacked or not.

Looking at the game mechanics, basically we are all enemies, but we can decide not to shoot at each other :D
I refuse to be your enemy.

You can shoot at me, but I'll forgive you.

Jesus aint got nothing on me 😇

And yeah, Elite is lacking in PvP content. There's no question about that.
What should be appealing for devs is pvp is content in itself, just remove restrictions, and offer game activities within current universe that require competition in open only mode, it takes way less time than making half of a small content update. It's that simple, i just hope we see this before SC get released, then it become necessity for FD.

When I'm playing a key role in a battle and the entire enemy side switches to my faction to kill my character and destroy the assets he's using to oppose them, in order to turn the tide, I think that would qualify as a 'gank'.

If you were leading the opposing side, I might have done the same.

First, take out the Morbad!!!!!

:)

What should be appealing for devs is pvp is content in itself, just remove restrictions, and offer game activities within current universe that require competition in open only mode, it takes way less time than making half of a small content update. It's that simple, i just hope we see this before SC get released, then it become necessity for FD.

Yes I agree with this sentiment. Fdev have been trying to develop this game like a theme park style mmo, when it suits being a sandbox far more due to the scale of it. It's impossible for Fdev to develop enough hand-crafted content to fill a 1:1 scale galaxy, let the players create the content. Fdev should stop trying to god-hand the narrative of the game because there is too much for them to do. If they fixed some of the issues described in my OP then it would help this a lot.

Top Bottom