ANNOUNCEMENT Gamescom Reveals - Fleet Carrier Details

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Vague information and very important questions ignored. We get a "tune in next time!" for important, but very basic questions such as "is it jump on tick or jump as often as you want?"

A feature meant for Squadrons not actually meant for Squadrons. You can already form a solo Squad, so why are carriers tied to individuals? Kinda an odd decision since Squadrons are already able to be singular.

Something about this doesn't feel like it's meant for multiplayer despite it originally being sold as much. The vague details and detail avoidance doesn't help matters, either. But ce la vie.

If you had read the tread before posting, you would have noticed that the answer to your question regarding the tick has allready been answered.

But just to amuse you. "Whenever you have the resources to jump". As stated here:

Last edited:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Why do you presume that you'll be able to store more than one ship?

Nowhere in the released information did it say they come with a shipyard...
Indeed not - however the name Fleet Carrier suggests that it can carry more than one ship - it'd be odd if the owner, who had invested a not inconsiderable sum of credits, could not carry (at least some of) their fleet with them.

20+ pages and at least some enthusiasm for "new".

It makes sense to me, at least after reading all of this, that the scheduled jump function is both a: "when you want" and b: "because if there are 16 ships doing something, a nice timer in the corner stops someone missing it".

Since we cannot PILOT the thing, how else was anyone expecting the jump to happen when trying to line up your wing/squadron?

I mean, there's a TON of good thought here, but some of the naysaying (true some of it will be) is just knee-jerk hating from ex-players or those that, for some reason, live to hate this game and FDev.

I'll believe it when I see it - and I have some hope that this is a good and positive move towards the 2020 content with the carriers and what comes later (it'll be v1 people; things move on!).

I dream that I can call a ship or two along for the ride; so that I might mine a distant ring, and then disappear off to new things, or materials, and return for an onward journey. Doesn't feel like an impossible dream either.

Why do you presume that you'll be able to store more than one ship?

It is true nobody knows for sure, but it would be pretty stupid to release personal fleet carriers, with a currently undisclosed level of grind attached to it for fueling and a big price tag, but then not being able to carry your personal fleet... It would render the whole thing pretty much pointless.

Last edited:
  1. What are the persistence rules for the Fleet Carriers / Support Ships?
  2. What are the connections, if any, between Fleet Carriers and Squadrons?
  3. Will it be possible for other players (designated by the FC owner) to schedule a jump and/or do other management tasks connected with FC ownership?
Basically, I'm very afraid it's another add–on which brings nothing in terms of multiplayer understood as a co–op backed by game mechanics. FCs as advertised don't look like having group ownership, nothing a group of players can work towards, then extend and care about in a group setting. Basically, FCs look like big ship with Ship Launched Other Ships, so nothing really new.

I'm sorry, but not everything can be just role–played… :/

I know they were originally advertised or seem to be for squadrons although owning one personally would be great it would also be good to have lots of squadron functionality so we can work together and have an achievable goal to maintain it

Speculating... this seems to me to provide some limited cross-platform functionality. The easiest way to implement carriers would be in the same way as megaships and stations - which exist persistently in every mode on every platform. (That requires them to be non-destructible, at least by player action). I'm hoping that I can be aboard my carrier in Open, while a friend docks in Solo and another friend docks on PS4. (Although chatting in-game to the guy on PS4 probably won't be possible).

<Edit> I further speculate that the Squadron functionality will occur in the "who can dock" rules: one option might be "Squadron only". Maybe other settable options for "Who can refuel", "Who can outfit" etc.

Been away from the game for a while, but this is interesting. As a mainly solo explorer I really hope to be able to carry a selection of my fleet with me. It would also be great to be able to submit exploration data as part of an explorer load-out, alongside repair/refuel services. Fleet Carriers could then function as a genuine base of operations for individuals or groups to explore distant, isolated regions of the galaxy.

All Fleet Carriers feature rearm, refuel and repair services.
Don’t forget to include the Ship Transfer function on these.
I don’t see them having Shipyards as such, but you’ll struggle to get your fleet on to one without that.
if there is no shipyard/outfitting
Please add a shipyard (even if no ships are available for purchase) or some other mechanic so we can have more than one of our own ships at a fleet carrier!
I dont think it would make sense to have a carrier, owned by a commander, without the ability to use a form of the ship transfer screen to bring (some of) your other ships to it. It wouldnt need to be a shipyard at all, just the ship transfer facility.

Because it could be some kind of player-homebase it should have at least:
  • outfitting to store and fit my stored modules.
  • shipyard to store my owned ships
  • Ship Transfer function of course
Also cargo to store commodities would be nice.

It is quite possible that shipyard is something that you can add. I got the impression that the carrier is customizable. But then again a carrier suggests that you can hold several ships.

Indeed not - however the name Fleet Carrier suggests that it can carry more than one ship - it'd be odd if the owner, who had invested a not inconsiderable sum of credits, could not carry (at least some of) their fleet with them.

It would wouldn't it.
It would be nonsensical.

While having these things indestructible is a good thing, I reckon it'd be great if you could attack them and "drive them off" like you can with Cap Ships. That would also mean we could arm them with defences (for more of a credit sink)..

Possible exploit detected!

Does "driving off" use up some of the unique fuel resource? A new form of grieving is born.

It doesn't? Have your friends help you to travel for free.

Can someone calculate the return on investment on an 8A fuel scoop considering the fuel prices at starports nowadays? Asking for a friend.
8A gets about 1t/second, which would sell for about 80 credits if you could put it in a container, or about 288,000 credits/hour.

An 8A scoop conveniently costs - without discounts - 289 million credits, so would pay for itself in approximately 1000 hours of continuous scooping, a bit more if you can't get close enough to maintain peak scooping rates.

(Unsurprisingly for this sort of work the 8E pays for itself considerably faster)

However, the fuel scoop can be sold back to the outfitters for 100% of cost. So technically any fuel scooped at all with it is pure profit provided you don't have to rebuy it at any point - each rebuy will cost you 20 hours of scooping to recover.

8A gets about 1t/second, which would sell for about 80 credits if you could put it in a container, or about 288,000 credits/hour.

An 8A scoop conveniently costs - without discounts - 289 million credits, so would pay for itself in approximately 1000 hours of continuous scooping, a bit more if you can't get close enough to maintain peak scooping rates.

(Unsurprisingly for this sort of work the 8E pays for itself considerably faster)

However, the fuel scoop can be sold back to the outfitters for 100% of cost. So technically any fuel scooped at all with it is pure profit provided you don't have to rebuy it at any point - each rebuy will cost you 20 hours of scooping to recover.
Why am I not surprised I got an answer from you? :)(y)

Nice to see that commander Vengar is still messing about in the trailers. :)

Remember to add Commander Han Zen to the docking list on your carrier. I'm not gonna afford one my self.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom