Really large landable planets: the list. (MK II)

yOFRypy.png

Actually, and suprisingly, there is 1 Rocky Ice World and 1 High Metal Content World that made the list!

Yes I think that's the exception that demonstrates the rule. Rocky ice worlds may be a given depending on how much may be rock and how much may be ice. But HMC shouldn't be possible. The fact there is only one on the list is a good indication this may be a hand placed exception, much like Hi'iaka in Sol, a small icy body with a radius of 160km and a mass of .0003 earth but a gravity of 0.48g. Not just unlikely, but impossible according to our current understanding of physics. So a misplaced decimal point when the devs were placing these objects could certainly give us these strange anomalies. Hi'iaka obviously had a misplaced decimal point when they were setting the gravtiy, Epsilon Orionis AB 2 may have had a misplaced decimal point when they were setting density and when they were generated by the forge it gave anomalous results.

So I generally regard exceptions like this as just that, an exception. If there is one and it's possible according to the way stellar forge works, then there would be more because you never get one of anything in physics, if it's possible it will happen regularly, if it's not possible it will never happen.

The stellar forge is of course governed by rules, we may not know them all or understand exactly how it works, and of course it was written by human beings so a mistake or two creeping in may throw out the occasional outlier, but if it's working correctly we don't get exceptions, such as there are so far no procedurally generated bodies smaller than 137km radius.

Nice find! You took 88th place with that one. I'd be interested to see a screenshot from the Orrery in the system map if you're able to get one.
Unfortunately despite looking at it in the orrery and thinking to myself "I should screenshot this" I apparently didn't, and I'm already more than 50 jumps away from the system. I'll have to remember to screenshot it when I visit again.

Unfortunately despite looking at it in the orrery and thinking to myself "I should screenshot this" I apparently didn't, and I'm already more than 50 jumps away from the system. I'll have to remember to screenshot it when I visit again.
Although, as long as you've turned in the system data already, all you have to do is look up the system in the galaxy map, and you should be able to access the system map without having to go visit the system again. But like I said, that only works if you turned in the data.

Although, as long as you've turned in the system data already, all you have to do is look up the system in the galaxy map, and you should be able to access the system map without having to go visit the system again. But like I said, that only works if you turned in the data.
Oh really? I didn't know that. Cool!
I'm still about 6k ly away from the Bubble (heading back from showing some passengers a tourist location). Once I'm back in a few days I'll get it.

Alright, I'm finally back in the Bubble and I turned in my exploration data, so here's the very high eccentricity landable ice world in orrery view as promised. It appears to be somewhat closer to periapsis than when I last looked at it a few days ago, which means it won't be very long before it reaches it. It seems to me that this thing is basically a comet that's three times size of the Earth. If it existed in real life, I'm sure it would form a spectacular coma and tail as it neared its parent star.

Thats cool. The surface temperature now is 1 degree hotter than that original pic you posted from EDSM. Be interesting to see how much hotter it gets. I need to check my eccentric LL as well. :)

So found these two over the last couple of days, bus theory confirmed!

Haha nice! You grabbed 50th and 97th place with those.

Heh - three more for you since you lowered the entry standard. :LOL:

Fantastic! You landed 79th, 95th, and 97th with those! (My planet is no longer in last place..thanks! ;)

Also this puts the list at 97 large landables with a radius of 18,000KM or greater! 3 more and it'll finally be the top 100 largest landables!

Alright, I'm finally back in the Bubble and I turned in my exploration data, so here's the very high eccentricity landable ice world in orrery view as promised. It appears to be somewhat closer to periapsis than when I last looked at it a few days ago, which means it won't be very long before it reaches it. It seems to me that this thing is basically a comet that's three times size of the Earth. If it existed in real life, I'm sure it would form a spectacular coma and tail as it neared its parent star.

:eek: WHOA! That's so cool, thanks for posting the screenshot! That is an absurd orbit for such a large planet lol. And I agree, that would be one hell of a comet to see in RL! Thanks again :geek:

Now I just need a screenshot of you landed on the planet and looking at the main star. 1 at apogee and 1 at perigee ;) Just kidding, you don't have to do that. It would be intersting to compare the temperatures at apogee vs. perigee though

:eek: WHOA! That's so cool, thanks for posting the screenshot! That is an absurd orbit for such a large planet lol. And I agree, that would be one hell of a comet to see in RL! Thanks again :geek:

Now I just need a screenshot of you landed on the planet and looking at the main star. 1 at apogee and 1 at perigee ;) Just kidding, you don't have to do that. It would be intersting to compare the temperatures at apogee vs. perigee though

Unfortunately the planet just passed periapsis within the last hour and I'm still in the Bubble. I was planning to get back to by it tomorrow in my shiny new anaconda, but it's moving even faster than I expected, so now we've got to wait three months to see it. Whoops!

This isn't my first discovery, obviously, however it doesn't appear to have been reported, and I did map it myself so I claim it as being the first one to bring it here;

19,917km radius.

73KQhZh.jpg

Wow - how the hell do you get an "Icy" planet at 664 K? Thats some pretty freaky ice right there.
Hmmm.... wonder if hi-g changes when things freeze... ?

Wow - how the hell do you get an "Icy" planet at 664 K? Thats some pretty freaky ice right there.
Hmmm.... wonder if hi-g changes when things freeze... ?

Gravity doesn't really influence whether water freezes. Atmospheric pressure, which is often a function of gravity, can change the freezing/boiling point, but this planet doesn't have an atmosphere... and the water is frozen at 390 degrees Celsius. It should really be a water world, but the stellar forge must have decided 9400 ls is too far and made it an icy body.

Orbital eccentricity is high, maybe at times is is far enough away to be frozen, I will check the Orrery map when I get a chance.

I have checked, it has a highly inclined orbit but it's not that eccentric, oh well there's that idea gone.

Last edited:
Are these planets scaled 1:1?

Someone should organize a circumnavigation of #1 on the list! :D

This is a life sized galaxy, if it says a radius of 20,000km that's the radius. Plenty of people have driven around small bodies, I think you would need a relay team for one of the big ones. 🍺

Hi all, I'm going to pop all of these here with links to EDSM, no screenshots because the games down at the moment.

Wregia OS-A d1-1 C 1 18,188km radius.

Iorant ZE-R e4-0 1, 18,198km radius.

Syre Thaa RF-D c26-0 B 1, 18,209km radius.

Mynoart LO-D b4-1 B 1, 18,311km radius

Cliewuae HK-C d14-0 B 1, 18,412km radius.

Cyuefou YR-A c14-2 C 1, 18,416km radius.

Byua Aerb BK-A d8 5, 18,484km radius.

Truechea NI-K d8-5 B 1, 18,503km radius.

Graea Hypue SK-N d7-85 A 4, 18,523km radius.

Graea Hypue PO-F b28-2 B 1, 18,534km radius.

Eol Prou XW-V b34-96 A 1, 18,590km radius.

Graea Hypue XU-O d6-188 BCDE 2, 18,633km radius.

Eol Prou PC-U d3-1096 AB 1, 18,676km Radius.

Whanoa DP-C c14-46 A 1, 18,691km radius.

Plae Bra ZX-S c17-1 A 1, 18794km

Wregoe XM-Z c27-10 A 1, 18885km radius.

Bleia Dryiae LM-L b27-3 A 1, 18,907km radius.

Synuefe AY-F d12-69 6, 18,926km radius.

Plio Aim HY-X b16-3 A 1, 19,024km radius.

Grie Bloae HO-Z b33-0 B 1, 19,149km radius.

Grea Hypooe IN-K b25-1 A 1, 19,193km radius.

Lyaisua SZ-E c25-3166 A 1, 19,256km radius.

Eorm Briae BW-D d12-7958 D 1, 19,320km radius.

Traikeou EM-X b58-0 B 1, 19,350km radius.

Prai Hypoo KA-E c13 A 1, 19,373km radius.

Pyralea GG-H b57-1 C 1, 19,588km radius.

Thraikoe OS-U d2-25 C 1, 19,592km radius.

Pyurks EA-G b44-2 B 1, 19,643km radius.

Nuekau NG-W b3-2 D 1, 19,647km radius.

Dryao Chrea OU-D c13-263 BC 1, 19,711km radius.

Pueloe HQ-W c15-86 AB 1, 19,805km radius.

Graea Hypue PZ-Z b29-7 C 1, 19,888km radius.

Blooe Eaeb WR-H d11-25 AB 1, 19,909km radius.

Boeppy ZE-A g1 1, 19,917km radius.

Phua Aihm PA-A d74 A 1, 20,085km radius.

Yes that's a lot of new big bodies, however they are my collection from several years exploring that I didn't notice at the time. Using Vithigar's excellent program called Elite Observatory I was able to scan my logs and pull out a list of all my finds over 18,000km in radius. Most of them are my first discoveries, however a number of them are ones that I wasn't first to find but aren't on the list. Some of them are even by people already features on the list but obviously they didn't notice them at the time as well. For instance I know I have listed a body above that was first discovered by FalcolnFly, I trust he will forgive me for pipping him with the reporting side of things.

If you want to do the same I suggest downlading Elite Observatory, you will find a link here, and using it to check your own past logs.

Fly safe all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom