Listing Codex bugs

Rather than having to dig through issues and discussions, I think it would be better to have a place where we can post and browse the various errors with the Codex. This should also help with issues timing out from the tracker and not getting reported again.
Entries that have since been fixed are struck out (like this).
This isn't currently up to date with the Odyssey stuff.

NSPs not working properly:
  • By using fleet carrier jumps to traverse regions, entries from the original system can create a fake entry for a different system in the second region. The Codex will note it there, but there won't be anything at that location.
  • NSPs not appearing in the system until you relog, often multiple times
  • NSPs that are in asteroid belt clusters don't appear on the FSS, neither before nor after scanning their parent cluster (they still appear as contacts on the left panel)
  • Proto-Lagrange Cloud listed on the Codex is not present in Outotz LI-O c21-0, and there are no bodies in the system
  • Proto-Lagrange Cloud listed on the Codex is not present in Hypao Broae RO-Z d13-2 in the Trojan Belt region
  • P-type anomaly listed in Pru Aescs NC-M d7-192 is not present, NSPs don't appear in the system
  • The Roseum Storm Cloud in Juenae OX-U e2-8852 (a DW2 minor waypoint) turned into a non-stormy Rubeum Lagrange Cloud
  • The Roseum Storm Cloud in Juenae OX-U e2-8852 (a DW2 minor waypoint) now crashes the game if you try to enter it
  • other Lagrange Clouds in the Galactic Centre and Inner Scutum-Centaurus Arm regions have turned into different types than they used to be, including storm variants turning into regular ones
  • Luteolum reel molluscs in the Norma Arm region don't require planets with water-based life, it appears icy (and perhaps rocky) planets will also do
  • Bullet molluscs in the Outer Orion Spur region might generate NSPs which are in too close orbits to a body, and can't be locked on and entered via supercruise, or even if they can be entered, the cloud and contents can be moving

Things failing to register properly:
  • Green Gas Giants with Ammonia-based life get reported with water-based life instead, see various examples in this post - they also cover up proper reports because of this
  • Green Gas Giants with Water-based life often not registering, see various examples in this post
  • Brain trees not registering in the Empyrean Straits region
  • Peduncle trees not registering in the Hawking's Gap and Temple regions
  • Some kinds of anemones not registering in the Empyrean Straits region
  • Metallic and Icy crystals not registering in the Outer Orion Spur region
  • Metallic crystals and Solid mineral spheres not registering in the Sanguineous Rim region
  • Metallic crystals not registering in the Hawking's Gap region
  • L03-type Anomalies not registering in the Orion-Cygnus Arm region
  • Albidum sinuous tubers not registering in the Ryker's Hope region
  • subsequent Lagrange Clouds not getting logged in the journal after the first discovery in the region
  • Can't confirm the Sagittarius A* supermassive black hole entry if you've already scanned it before the Codex was introduced
  • Various variants of sinuouos tubers in the Inner Orion Spur and Arcadian Stream regions all use the same coloured model, roseum tubers don't exist (despite being on the Codex)
  • Greatest surface gravity of various body types might be bugged
Wrong or missing information:
  • Lattice Mineral Spheres: a nebula requirement is listed, but they can appear far away from nebulae too
  • Blatteum Torus Molluscs: DAV stars missing from required stars
  • Rubellum Torus Molluscs: DCV stars missing from required stars
  • Blatteum and Rubellum Torus Molluscs: gas giant requirement missing (it's present on Caeruleum)
  • Albulum Gourd Molluscs: Listed Class II gas giant requirement is wrong
  • Various Quadripartite pods: ELW, WW requirement is wrong
  • K09-type Anomaly: Listed Class II gas giant requirement is wrong (only Class I and Class III GGs present in the system)
  • Amphora plants: volcanism requirement missing
  • Chryseum Void Hearts: there are no requirements at all listed
  • Viride Octahedral Pod: there's an empty line among the requirements
  • Crystalline Shards: text says "Distance from nearest star", but the actual requirement is distance from the arrival star
  • Various variants of sinuous tubers can also appear on Rocky worlds
  • Terraformable ammonia worlds don't actually exist (yet some are listed on the Codex)
  • Q-type anomaly in Aiphaisty YE-A d130 has wrong traits listed
  • Roseum Globe Molluscs: Listed planet and star requirements are wrong
  • K-type anomalies in Wepaa area: Listed planet requirements are wrong, they don't apply
Finds already Reported but not getting Confirmed upon scanning (client-side?):
  • Various cloud-related things (see below) in the Outer Orion Spur region
  • Sulphur dioxide gas vents in the Norma Expanse, Izanami, Sanguineous Rim regions
  • Water and silica vapour geysers in the Norma Expanse region
Odyssey surface life issues:
  • Certain Stratum species can't be interacted with (neither the Comp. Scanner nor the Genetic Sampler work on them)
  • Bark mounds (and possibly anemones) require volcanism in Odyssey, but not in legacy Horizons: this can mean a body might not have the same life if you switch to the live branch
  • If you complete the three samples with the genetic sampler but board your ship before the tool animation finishes, the sampling will complete and be logged to the journal as if it was on the next body you disembark at, even if it's in a different system
  • Bacterium Tela can be found on water atmosphere worlds as well, and they don't require volcanism on such bodies
  • Concha Aureolas are found on ammonia atmosphere worlds, and not on the listed nitrogen atmospheres

If you find any that are missing from here (I'm fairly certain there are plenty I missed so far), or if perhaps they were fixed in a recent update, please post so!

Last edited:
Empyrean Straits is also not registering all types of anemones. Some of those are failing to "stick" through logouts, etc.

Things failing to register properly
As for the Outer Orion Spur region, I would also add, that I was trying to get Caeruleum lagrange cloud in Eta Carina Sector JR-W d1-13 confirmed and didn't manage to do that, it still has "reported" status in my Codex.

Also I don't have any Codex entries not only for crystals in that region, but also for Solid mineral spheres, that, as I found, populate clouds in Eta Carina Sector EL-Y d19.

Last edited:
As for the Outer Orion Spur region, I would also add, that I was trying to get Caeruleum lagrange cloud in Eta Carina Sector JR-W d1-13 confirmed and didn't manage to do that, it still has "reported" status in my Codex.

Also I don't have any Codex entries not only for crystals in that region, but also for Solid mineral spheres, that, as I found, populate clouds in Eta Carina Sector EL-Y d19.
Most of those errors probably only appear on your end, because I can see both the cloud and the spheres both in-game and on EDSM. However, no crystals there. Were they metallic ones, or icy / silicate? (Probably the former, but still need to be sure.)

Most of those errors probably only appear on your end, because I can see both the cloud and the spheres both in-game and on EDSM
Well, yes, I also see them in the Codex as "reported", but I can't get "confirmed" status by entering the cloud or scanning spheres.
Were they metallic ones, or icy / silicate?
Actually, I scanned all the mentioned types of crystals in 15 different locations in the Outer Orion Spur (mostly around Eta Carina Nebula) and didn't manage to get any Codex entries.

I have a table with system names, cloud types and "inhabitants", if you need it.

Last edited:
Found another one, which haunts me through several regions now.

Sulphur dioxide gas vents not registering in the following regions:

Norma Expanse (the same problem exists with the Water and Silica Vapour types here as well),
Izanami

I don't know if this even counts as a bug, but in regards to Crystalline Shards' "distance from the nearest star" requirement, they only need to be greater than 12000 ls from the primary star in order to form, not any star. I'll commonly find them forming on a moon of a gas giant orbiting well within 12000 ls of a secondary star that itself is hundreds of thousands of light-seconds away from the primary star.

I have a table with system names, cloud types and "inhabitants", if you need it.
Please do, it should be good for double-checking.

Found another one, which haunts me through several regions now.

Sulphur dioxide gas vents not registering in the following regions:

Norma Expanse (the same problem exists with the Water and Silica Vapour types here as well),
Izanami
Do you mean that you scan them, and they don't change to Confirmed, just stay at Reported? I see the entries in the Codex.

I don't know if this even counts as a bug, but in regards to Crystalline Shards' "distance from the nearest star" requirement, they only need to be greater than 12000 ls from the primary star in order to form, not any star. I'll commonly find them forming on a moon of a gas giant orbiting well within 12000 ls of a secondary star that itself is hundreds of thousands of light-seconds away from the primary star.
Yeah, that sounds like a text error. Still, it's probably better this way, but the text says what it says - nearest star, not system main star.

Marx, doing what Frontier should have done, fly around and see for yourself what's broke and making a list.
Well, yes, they should. Just not on the live build, because they'd tag them on the Codex :D

Last edited:
Great list thanks.

Things also failing to register properly:

• First discoveries and first mappings are completely missing from our Codex page. How do we see what systems have our name on it?

Great list thanks.

Things also failing to register properly:

• First discoveries and first mappings are completely missing from our Codex page. How do we see what systems have our name on it?

That one isn't a bug, it was a deliberate design decision not to include that information.

A rather serious new one added: the NSPs in Wredguia XD-K d8-24 often fail to appear, and you have to relog several times for them to do so.

Also, I think the Phoeniceum gourd molluscs in there might have a missing line in the Codex requirements, namely that they require a carbon star. The only "special" requirement actually listed is the presence of an ELW in the system, but in the whole region, there is only this one system containing these molluscs. (This is the IOS we're talking about.) Perhaps coincidentally, in the whole region, there is only one carbon star system known to contain an ELW.
But if Frontier actually set such a requirement (carbon star system + ELW), well, that's... quite restrictive.

In any case, if the presence of an ELW were the only thing required for these mollusc variants, we'd be seeing a lot more of them - which we aren't. So, something is missing there.

I may have encountered another region, where sulphur dioxide gas vents are reported, but failed to confirm for me.
So, I was camping at a volcanic site on planet A1 in the Auzah KS-P b10-0 system in the Hieronymus Delta. The site consisted of those Sulphur Dioxide Gas Vents, but mixed with the Fumaroles of the same kind (Sulphur Dioxide). And now guess what happened...

Yep, the fumaroles registered properly, and no sign of registration for the gas vents. Here it is again.
Maybe this bug I encountered in 3 regions now is because the Gas Vents are sometimes mixed with the other things instead of being sole? When I find "Gas Vents only" at a site, they register properly... :unsure:

Another update to this, with more serious issues too.
I wish I could say in an update that I removed things that were fixed. But hey, here we are, over a year from Chapter Four's release.

Issues related to GGG's:
  • Dryooe Prou FF-Z d696 in Odin's Hold doesn't appear in the codex (Gas Giant with Water-based life)
  • Hypao Chraea VQ-T d4-8 in Outer Arm is reported as a Gas Giant with Water-based life (It has Ammonia-based life)
  • Col 285 Sector VU-M c8-1 in Inner Orion Spur is reported as a Gas Giant with Water-based life (It has Ammonia-based life)
    • This issue covers up Bleia Dryiae HF-W b35-1 which is a Gas Giant with Water-based life
  • Byoomi XE-X d2-7844 in Galactic Centre is reported as a Gas Giant with Water-based life (It has Ammonia-based life)
  • Neither Blua Hypa HT-F D12-1226 nor Eol Prou KW-L c8-32 in Inner Scutum-Centaurus Arm appears in the codex (Gas Giant with Water-based life)
It looks like the codex doesn't report glowing GGWBL and misreports glowing GGABL.

A few new things added. Most notably, I've confirmed that there are Peduncle trees in the Temple region as well (found them around the Guardian nebula so far, will have to see if there are others elsewhere), it's just that the composition scan doesn't complete. Added them to the galactic regions and life types listing too.

Top Bottom