Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Of All The Gin Joints In All The Towns In All The World... I picked the one not selling limpets!

Went to have my limpets lightweighted at Tiana's place. It seems like a good idea with the large controllers. Similar to lightweighting your sensors. Jumping back to my favorite mining system without a FSD booster, I thought I'd be smart and wait stocking up on limpets until I got there. Apart from the additional landing which I forgot in my calculation, the relay where I landed has no restock facility. Doh!

Still, I think (hope) it was worth it. A 5A collector controller goes from 32T to 4.8T fully engineered, and just a grade 1 engineering will reduce the mass by 45%. There are two ways of making something move fast. Increase the horsepower and loose the weight. Colin Chapman style u know.

Of All The Gin Joints In All The Towns In All The World... I picked the one not selling limpets!

Went to have my limpets lightweighted at Tiana's place. It seems like a good idea with the large controllers. Similar to lightweighting your sensors. Jumping back to my favorite mining system without a FSD booster, I thought I'd be smart and wait stocking up on limpets until I got there. Apart from the additional landing which I forgot in my calculation, the relay where I landed has no restock facility. Doh!

Still, I think (hope) it was worth it. A 5A collector controller goes from 32T to 4.8T fully engineered, and just a grade 1 engineering will reduce the mass by 45%. There are two ways of making something move fast. Increase the horsepower and loose the weight. Colin Chapman style u know.
Mining in a Lotus?:D

I scored a ship kit of my choice from one of the excellent Operation Ida giveaways - and chose to pimp my Keelback a bit. Behold the Eladium IV..

So I've been thoroughly enjoying getting back in this beauty and running random missions. I've got plenty of bigger ships, but this one makes me smile everytime I jump in the pilot seat. I slapped on some engineered pulse lasers and seeker missiles, and added some class A long range sensors (mainly to go with the new ship kit sensor arms).

View attachment 142644

I'm also in the process of outfitting a Krait MkII to go NPC-pirating, which I have never tried. Surely they don't need all of those Low Temp Diamonds?!

Don't often hear much about Keelbacks. Perhaps that's just me! I have one (never used it) so I may just go and see how it looks with a kit fitted.

It's interesting, taking it a step further, as to how many ships I DO actually fly. Of the ones I own, I probably only regularly use two - Python and Phantom - with three occassionally; Anaconda, Type 9 and Vulture.

The rest rarely see the light of stars.

This makes me think I may sell them off as superfluous even though one of my ED bucket lists is to own one of each ship

An interesting conundrum.

Don't often hear much about Keelbacks. Perhaps that's just me! I have one (never used it) so I may just go and see how it looks with a kit fitted.

It's interesting, taking it a step further, as to how many ships I DO actually fly. Of the ones I own, I probably only regularly use two - Python and Phantom - with three occassionally; Anaconda, Type 9 and Vulture.

The rest rarely see the light of stars.

This makes me think I may sell them off as superfluous even though one of my ED bucket lists is to own one of each ship

An interesting conundrum.
I find the Keelback quite useful, I like the handling.
I did all the Guardian stuff with it on PC.

Main ship usage:
T-9 (Several).
Python.
Anaconda (3).
DBX.
FAS (AX).
FDS.
Asp Scout.

Other ships not getting much use, since moving to PC, I've been taking a break from combat.

Hehe... This one took two rings of the shield and both my eyebrows :D

I think I was less than 100 meters away. This ship is by far the best mining ship I have. In 1.5 hours, kaching:

Regarding other ships: I still love my Mamba. Especially now that it's got a huge beam and seeker misiles. That's an entertaining combo. The big ships are getting dusty in the corner.

How many credits have you got? I think Fdev might be pulling our legs not telling the price of the carriers. Everybody is out hunting credits it seems, so one option is that Fdev is waiting to see the amount of CR the average player has, and then adjusting the final price to that. Another option is that carriers become "dirt cheap", and then they can have a laugh about us all blasting rocks. :unsure: I'm at 4.3 billion, and almost half a billion earned just today, thanks to that Python.

Yesterday I saw D2EA do wing laser LTD mining, with three other CMDRs. Great fun and a good payday at the end:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY94x61MlAE

Btw. I learned most of what I know about ED from Astro/D2EA 👨‍🦰. A major thanks to that guy. I can highly recommend his tutorial videos.

Checked on INARA, if you have one of each ship (un-eng).
You have spent about +1.3BCrd's. The cost of a carrier?
A cutter is +200MCrd's. Should a carrier be between these two values?
Or should it make you sell all your ship's so you have to start with a fleet of sidewinders?

Earning 50MCr'ds a day until December, could get you above +4BCrd's.
That money will burn a hole in your hanger space if not used....:unsure:

I hope that, like a srv ship recall, we can recall the carrier from anywhere in the local 500Ly area.

Yeah... do I NEED a carrier? I don'y have a Guardian FSD* but do I NEED one of those?

I think my own answer to my question is no.

However, I'd really love both :D

* For me, doing this is like learning splody mining - it's there for when I fancy a pop at it but I don't feel the need to do these things yet; so many other things to do - think I made a list of to-do's a few dozen pages back...

PS I've also just tried NMS. Apart from the fact I've no idea what I'm supposed to do, it really isn't gripping me.

PPS I think I'm going to try and re-read that popular guide to mining.

I have nothing to report regarding Elite this entire week, because World of Warcraft Classic. I was there for the beginning of that game, 15 years ago, and played it to death back then. So I got sucked into the whole nostalgia of it. And so did my wife. So...that's what I'm up to. I probably needed a short break anyway, to recharge my motivation.

Thanks to all you great folks for posting new stuff for me to see and read, though. I love this thread, and all of you :)
Yes I'd absolutely echo that. I have been off Elite for a while, getting into RDR2 online, which dropped a major update this week which has me immersed in that. But I'll be back to ED at some point soon and love this thread, it will be my return starting place.

So thanks to all of you!

o7

Checked on INARA, if you have one of each ship (un-eng).
You have spent about +1.3BCrd's. The cost of a carrier?
A cutter is +200MCrd's. Should a carrier be between these two values?
Or should it make you sell all your ship's so you have to start with a fleet of sidewinders?

That money will burn a hole in your hanger space if not used....:unsure:

I hope that, like a srv ship recall, we can recall the carrier from anywhere in the local 500Ly area.
Keep in mind that the figures quoted on Inara, Coriolis etc are just for a ship with E rated modules and that for anything useful the price would be two to five times higher an Imperial Cutter set up as an armed trader can be pushing a billion credits all on its own.

I'm not a great combat pilot. Not that I'm embarrassed. I just build a tank with engineered everything, and then I survive by brawling, raming and firing shotguns (frags) at close range. Not very refined, but I've never gotten around to really learning FA-Off, and honestly I think it's slightly overhyped. It's the same with gimballed weapons. They pack only slightly less punch, but with my flying skills, the gimballed weapons make it easier to hit anything, so at least some of the punches reach the target.

However, all that mining has made using lateral thrusters, pip management and aiming somewhat second nature for me, and I'm starting to get better at positioning my ship during "dogfighting". That made me think about trying to challenge destiny by building a less tanked more nimble fighter ship, and I started playing around on Coriolis. The first thing I noticed was that all my current builds are way too heavy for dirty drag thrusters. You can almost not fit anything to any ship before the mass gets above the "minimum mass", thereby loosing speed and maneuverability.

Finding the sweet spot, balancing firepower, defense, speed and agility is much more delicate than I thought. You could go for one of the meta builds, but that's boring and furthermore, it most certainly wont fit your personal fighting capabilities. The depth of this game is amazing.

I can't really decide on what ship to build. Viper seems like a good place to start and I never got around to fly that, but I'm also tempted by the Vulture, because I always find those "difficult" to kill. Both ships are way less complicated than my Corvette, and fooling around in Coriolis wont do the trick. It will take practical testing as well.

So until the carrier arrives in the mail, there are plenty of interesting engineering to do :)

Painite double-hotspot laser mining in a 'conda rakes in over 250MCr for an hour and a half. I only recently heard about "double-hotspot" mining so went to test it by buying and equipping a 'conda (LYR discount) and it just about paid for itself with the one trip producing nearly 260MCr in less than 2 hours.

So when FCs appear I know now how to go rack-up some dosh as I also tried explody-mining and that was dire and definitely not so lucrative.

Last edited:
I haven't figured out the splodey stuff yet either. I don't spend a lot of time with it, and i don't envision a FC in my near future, so i'm not too bothered, but what is double hotspot mining?Does it involve re-logging?

................, but what is double hotspot mining?Does it involve re-logging?

No - it is a feature that was discovered where if two Painite hotspots overlap then the preponderance of Painite-containing asteroids was greatly increased in the overlap. There is a tool (Miner's Tool - http://edtools.ddns.net/miner ) which lets you find locations near your position and it shows best places to sell at too.

Well Vulture it is :) With two large frags (overcharged and screening shells). Nasty little machine, with a strange noise from the engines. When close to the target it works fine even without thermal weapons. And boy is it more nimble than a Conda in a Haz Res! I always thought I needed a tank, but this is much more fun.

I saw a video where someone "aimed for the power plant" on a Conda, which was then marked out as being roughly mid ship, in front of the cockpit. How do people know stuff like that?!? Is there somewhere to see the physical layout of the modules in the different ships? Not that it really matters with frags.

Top Bottom