Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Got a bit bored from core mining in my T-10, so I decided to challenge myself trying to build medium sized ship for the purpose. The obvious choice was a Krait mk II, since it's got both speed and agility plus a decent cockpit. I tried such a build, but it lacked cargo. Then I remembered Yamiks ranting about the Kraits just being a lousy version of the Python. On my hurried way towards a Conda I skipped the Python, so I'd never really flown one. That was a mistake! What a great spaceship.

On the FDL I've always hated the off center seating position, but it makes a lot more sense in the Python. Furthermore, in VR, the Python cockpit is really nice. Great feeling of sitting on "the Bridge", and as the only ship I've seen with this feature, the cockpit is reasonably dark! That makes quite a difference looking at the universe outside, especially when mining a dark ring. I turned the HUD down to minimum, and it looks amazing. The cockpit on, say, a Conda or a Cutter looks kind of like sitting inside the house at night looking outside. You get blinded by the light inside.

Furthermore the thingy can fly, and it's got decent cargo space. Absolutely a keeper (y)

Oh, btw. This one has a lot of rapid fire missiles. I need those Packhounds. I know it's something with promissing to be loyal to someone royal for a month, but is that it? Where do you do that in the game?

Yeah,i'm not sure which was the loudest, the bang as we dropped out of SC, or the resultant slap of the facepalm.

I didn't facepalm myself too hard over my unscheduled stop, it was a funny learning experience and I always learn best when I burn my hand on the stove. I guarantee I never do it again. Besides, it was kind of cool/cinematic. I didn't know an Anaconda could whip around like that. It turned a boring transit through a boring system a couple of jumps from my destination into something I won't soon forget. While I could have done without the shock I like the fact that this game gives you enough control over the systems of your ship that it's possible to make mistakes like this. Some of the more memorable/funny moments I've had playing Elite Dangerous are the result of the game giving me enough freedom to make an idiot out of myself. Some moments took me longer to see the humor in than others but I didn't lose my ship or anything as a result of this so I was laughing pretty much as soon as I figured out just what I did.

Major breakthrough on the mining front! I now know what I’ve been doing wrong. I’ve been over egging it with the charges. I was vaguely aware that the graph in the upper right corner was telling me something, I understand it now.

Hurrah!
Yay! \o/
D9CL3ceXoAIAGOQ

Major breakthrough on the mining front! I now know what I’ve been doing wrong. I’ve been over egging it with the charges. I was vaguely aware that the graph in the upper right corner was telling me something, I understand it now.

Hurrah!
Re: getting those charges right - start by putting a large charge (hold down button a long time before release) into a low strength fissure - that should get you at least half way there. Then tackle one or two medium strength fissures maybe and finally fine tune the last bit by tapping low strength charges into high strength fissures. Remember, if you overcook it you can disarm charges again. A nicely balanced blow should yield around 15 fragments (after explosion the info panel top-right tells you how many).

Re: getting those charges right - start by putting a large charge (hold down button a long time before release) into a low strength fissure - that should get you at least half way there. Then tackle one or two medium strength fissures maybe and finally fine tune the last bit by tapping low strength charges into high strength fissures. Remember, if you overcook it you can disarm charges again. A nicely balanced blow should yield around 15 fragments (after explosion the info panel top-right tells you how many).

This is great, thank you. Highest I’ve had so far is 11 once on purpose then a second time when the initial charges didn’t work and I had to stick a couple more on. It said forecast was poor yield but I got lucky. You have given me a formula, thank you.

Excellent shot! (y)(y)(y)

My Python is the first ship I fly 100% manually. I've mostly used the ACD and SA, but I've found that many collector limpets makes mining way more entertaining, because the waiting time is reduced. Landing the Python manually is a joy. My landings are still pretty rough, but I can highly recommend loosing the DC on anything but large ships.

Miningwise it spins those rocks like a buzzing bee, with excellent lateral thrusters. It stops a lot better than a Cutter! It's fast among the rocks, and the large center hardpoint is by far the best placing for a seismic charger launcher I have tried. 160 T cargo and 10 collectors. Best mining ship in the game I think. In large ships I tend to run out of seismic charges, before having a full cargo, or have to switch between to launchers, which mess up the HUD indication of charge load, and puts the launcher off center.

Might have to try it with FA-Off in an asteroid ring. "Full throttle and let fear teach you" ;)

Might very well be my new favorite ship.

Excellent shot! (y)(y)(y)

My Python is the first ship I fly 100% manually. I've mostly used the ACD and SA, but I've found that many collector limpets makes mining way more entertaining, because the waiting time is reduced. Landing the Python manually is a joy. My landings are still pretty rough, but I can highly recommend loosing the DC on anything but large ships.

Miningwise it spins those rocks like a buzzing bee, with excellent lateral thrusters. It stops a lot better than a Cutter! It's fast among the rocks, and the large center hardpoint is by far the best placing for a seismic charger launcher I have tried. 160 T cargo and 10 collectors. Best mining ship in the game I think. In large ships I tend to run out of seismic charges, before having a full cargo, or have to switch between to launchers, which mess up the HUD indication of charge load, and puts the launcher off center.

Might have to try it with FA-Off in an asteroid ring. "Full throttle and let fear teach you" ;)

Might very well be my new favorite ship.

View attachment 142566
Most useful ship in ED: and the Python wins!✌🏅🥇🥉🥈.
I avoided it for.... two years I think.
But when I started my account on PC, the goal was Python, 'Robigo Runner' has served Njiri Logistics well.(Still need the 'black friday' paintjob on PC). Not recommended for combat, but certainly no slouch.
Trade, Rescue, Dodgy Passengers 'Vacation'... Oh yes excellent mining ship.:D(y)

This is great, thank you. Highest I’ve had so far is 11 once on purpose then a second time when the initial charges didn’t work and I had to stick a couple more on. It said forecast was poor yield but I got lucky. You have given me a formula, thank you.
If you start with a low strength fissure (select it as target and look at the left panel), as Alec wrote, using a large charge normally gets you half way. If you can find another low strength fissure, you can typically fire a large charge into that as well (that didn't sound right), having a perfect total load with only two charges. The large charges are also easier to aim with. Just hold the button until they're fully charged, and concentrate on the aim and thrusters. Also the tapping thing is highly recommended for fine tuning the total charge.

Don't stress! You have way more time than you think. Also, a good shield can keep you safe relatively close to the asteroid when it blows, meaning that your limpets will have to travel a shorter distance. Mining can become pure zen ;)

If you start with a low strength fissure (select it as target and look at the left panel), as Alec wrote, using a large charge normally gets you half way. If you can find another low strength fissure, you can typically fire a large charge into that as well (that didn't sound right), having a perfect total load with only two charges. The large charges are also easier to aim with. Just hold the button until they're fully charged, and concentrate on the aim and thrusters. Also the tapping thing is highly recommended for fine tuning the total charge.

Don't stress! You have way more time than you think. Also, a good shield can keep you safe relatively close to the asteroid when it blows, meaning that your limpets will have to travel a shorter distance. Mining can become pure zen ;)

Thank you. This really is the best bit of the forum.

Most useful ship in ED: and the Python wins!✌🏅🥇🥉🥈.
I avoided it for.... two years I think.
But when I started my account on PC, the goal was Python, 'Robigo Runner' has served Njiri Logistics well.(Still need the 'black friday' paintjob on PC). Not recommended for combat, but certainly no slouch.
Trade, Rescue, Dodgy Passengers 'Vacation'... Oh yes excellent mining ship.:D(y)

I've only ever used my Python for trade but I did make the bulk of my wealth and Trade Elite in it so I won't argue against its usefulness. I'm too lazy to look it up but I'm pretty sure it has the highest cargo capacity for any ship you can land on a Medium pad. It's gotten a little less action since I added some larger capacity ships to my fleet but it still gets some use when I need to visit Medium pads and for that reason it follows me around to whatever area I'm trading/CG/rank grinding in should it be needed.

….

….

View attachment 142566

To be fair most things smaller than a solar system can stop better than a Cutter.

Core mining is my favourite roll for my Python.

A curious thing has happened. I’m now able to run 2 jumps from home, found a good source of Low Temp Diamonds, Opals and some other bits and bobs. An hour or so of casually blasting rocks apart (thanks again for the great advice above) and I can trot home to pick up around 100mCr.

The minute I’ve sold it, I cant face going back out. So I’ve taken to those ‘go slaughter’ missions. 15-20 of those bad guys. The money is of no interest really but the combat is a little more interesting. Apparently my Python melts these guys without my shields losing a ring.

I’m not much of a combat fan but I do really want that third Elite status. I’ll never be good enough for PvP, or indeed that interested but I can earn 100m mining then go shoot some bad guys. I’ve been taking the ‘my rank missions’, stepping that up tomorrow. I may look at a dedicated combat ship.

I really like that Python cockpit in VR.

I've fitted a 4A sheild gen and three heavy duty boosters giving a lot of explosive and kinetic resistance. That makes it possible to stay very close to the rock (spitting distance) when it blows. You loose on ring of shield, but it recharges quickly, and no hull or modules are damaged. Once in a while a single limpet is lost in the explosion, but the rest are collecting before you can say bingo. Even Verity sounds a little bit excited! 🤖

I scored a ship kit of my choice from one of the excellent Operation Ida giveaways - and chose to pimp my Keelback a bit. Behold the Eladium IV..

So I've been thoroughly enjoying getting back in this beauty and running random missions. I've got plenty of bigger ships, but this one makes me smile everytime I jump in the pilot seat. I slapped on some engineered pulse lasers and seeker missiles, and added some class A long range sensors (mainly to go with the new ship kit sensor arms).

I'm also in the process of outfitting a Krait MkII to go NPC-pirating, which I have never tried. Surely they don't need all of those Low Temp Diamonds?!

I have nothing to report regarding Elite this entire week, because World of Warcraft Classic. I was there for the beginning of that game, 15 years ago, and played it to death back then. So I got sucked into the whole nostalgia of it. And so did my wife. So...that's what I'm up to. I probably needed a short break anyway, to recharge my motivation.

Thanks to all you great folks for posting new stuff for me to see and read, though. I love this thread, and all of you :)

Top Bottom