Roadmap leaked??

It's all very exciting and all that but it is such a long, long way off.

I do remember an interview with DB about the reaction to Horizons. He acknowledged that people didn't like paying up front for a season of content. I wonder if this is the reason why there is a two year gap in development; We're going to get one big content dump and that will be it, no 4.1, 4.2, etc just a big 4.0 and patches.

Just asking, do people prefer that or would you prefer the old Horizons/Beyond model.
I guess there will still be 4.1, 4.2 etc, just without paid content. So we will get all the paid stuff with 4.0 but we'll also get free patches / updates after it.

...I'd be doubly surprised to see extensive Atmos additions this round. If the leak is even halfway on the money, then that's a ton of dev & tech to get right just there. (I could see the volumetric cloud tech getting rolled out further, the discoverables being expanded a bit etc. But not a whole suite of surface / atmosphere gameplay that would stand as its own DLC etc.)
A reason I can believe the Legs leak is that it’s a “big ticket” expansion - a game-changer with lots of headline stuff you can attract customers with, and a new, very easily discernible way of experiencing the game. From a hardware standpoint, I think it’s something that might not require too much extra processing power.

Adding basic atmospherics could run the risk of being seen same-old same-old with a different coloured sky. Going forward to the richly detailed worlds, I could imagine them requiring an increase in the minimum system requirements to do them justice, and they are something I’ve always thought would be towards the end of the game’s DLC releases. Personally, I’m hoping atmospheres will affect the flight model and provide new gameplay opportunities - the game Frontier Pilot Simulator being a good example of this. Opening up the rest of the Galaxy’s planet types would be a huge undertaking (I imagine) so definitely its own DLC territory.

I do remember an interview with DB about the reaction to Horizons. He acknowledged that people didn't like paying up front for a season of content. I wonder if this is the reason why there is a two year gap in development; We're going to get one big content dump and that will be it, no 4.1, 4.2, etc just a big 4.0 and patches.

Just asking, do people prefer that or would you prefer the old Horizons/Beyond model.

I'd love the 4.1, 4.2, etc. model if only it were feasible. Frontier doesn't have the necessary resources to release big meaningful updates every three to six months. MC being the most obvious example for a bare bone main feature because FD ran out of time.

In fact ..... the speed at which it has been corrected ....... ;)

I think I've found another LEAK. Apparently CQC doesn't award Arx, this is clearly because Frontier is dedicating most of their man power towards BASE BUILDING!

Well, it was worth a try.

This is my expectation, pay for the DLC, get the DLC and that's that. I am interested to see if they try and tweak things to reduce the number of players on older versions. Maybe they release horizons for free and make the new DLC time limited, although they would be unwise to announce that at release.

A reason I can believe the Legs leak is that it’s a “big ticket” expansion - a game-changer with lots of headline stuff you can attract customers with, and a new, very easily discernible way of experiencing the game. From a hardware standpoint, I think it’s something that might not require too much extra processing power.

Adding basic atmospherics could run the risk of being seen same-old same-old with a different coloured sky. Going forward to the richly detailed worlds, I could imagine them requiring an increase in the minimum system requirements to do them justice, and they are something I’ve always thought would be towards the end of the game’s DLC releases. Personally, I’m hoping atmospheres will affect the flight model and provide new gameplay opportunities - the game Frontier Pilot Simulator being a good example of this. Opening up the rest of the Galaxy’s planet types would be a huge undertaking (I imagine) so definitely its own DLC territory.

This. Basebuilding and spacelegs will be welcomed very much by a significant part of the current user base, but more importantly it will attract a lot of new people. Adding more ships or environments wont appeal to people who are still not convinced ED is worth a shot. And in this order they can plan atmos for the next gen consoles...

I am interested to see if they try and tweak things to reduce the number of players on older versions.
I've wondered that - but it's common on all their games to have lots of DLCs - never seen them roll one into a base game. They really need to rename Horizons from 'Season Pass' at some stage though, as that confuses people.

StefanOS

Volunteer Moderator
May I say that this "customizations for buildings" "error" makes the last ED 2020 info "leak" look more reliable now.... so maybe base building + spacelegs is the thing for the end 2020 ERA.

The totally sad side of that "leak" is that it also said that there is no info or any hint that we will see landable atmospheric planets... somehow I fear that it's the not so exciting bitter truth...

Last edited:
I am interested to see if they try and tweak things to reduce the number of players on older versions. Maybe they release horizons for free and make the new DLC time limited, although they would be unwise to announce that at release.
More likely the Horizons-only features would be merged into the base game. I see no sense in making the DLC time-limited.

Personally I prefer the Horizons model :)

I've wondered that - but it's common on all their games to have lots of DLCs - never seen them roll one into a base game. They really need to rename Horizons from 'Season Pass' at some stage though, as that confuses people.
Sure but the DLCs for their other games are tiny compared to Horizons. I suspect for ED they'll want to keep things simple i.e. base game+one big DLC, especially after the confusion at the time of the Horizons launch.

Sure but the DLCs for their other games are tiny compared to Horizons. I suspect for ED they'll want to keep things simple i.e. base game+one big DLC, especially after the confusion at the time of the Horizons launch.
Doesn't encourage people to buy DLCs - "oh, if I wait for atmos I'll get legs, so I'll just wait it out". But hey - you could be right - from a technical POV I would roll them together as it must make testing even more complex (cue replies about how they don't test :) )

This is my expectation, pay for the DLC, get the DLC and that's that. I am interested to see if they try and tweak things to reduce the number of players on older versions. Maybe they release horizons for free and make the new DLC time limited, although they would be unwise to announce that at release.
I'm hoping they've only got two items on sale;-

1. Full package - which is Elite, Horizons, Beyond and new era.
2. Upgrade package - which will upgrade you to New era, including Horisons if you've only got the base game.

Horisons will have been out almost 5 years, it seems silly to split the player base any further. Maybe charge a little more (seriously not much) if people need Horisons as well ( just if you're feeling salty about it) but make sure that everyone who upgrades or buys new is at the same level.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator

I think so, that is probably indeed part of the reason.

There’s also the issue of DLC dependencies - if base-building is something you do planetside, then you’ve got to own Horizons first. If the base-building is something (as theorised by some here) that applies to Fleet Carriers, then it’s open to all players.

Frontier have all the user metrics, so I suppose they’ll aim for whatever they think will get the greatest uptake.

Pretty sure it's intentional, just like the original leak. That's how marketing works these days, there is nothing better than having people talk about your product.
not in case of fdev. Unfortunately, I made sure that they love to upset and disappoint communities.
therefore, the only marketing move for me regarding their “new era” will be only the official announcement of its contents.

Diagbar

Top Bottom