Roadmap leaked??

Hmmm - fdev seem to have accidentally confirmed base building ;)

Look at the source for the web page : https://arx.elitedangerous.com/

Near the top :
View attachment 144293

Anyway, discuss :)

So from another point of view, now even the base building coming up will be single-players and not for Squadrons..... Thanks, Factabulous, I'm glad this came out now, so I don't have to waste time getting my Squadron excited for something, like the carriers, the will never be for the MMO player groups. Cheers

Last edited:
Pretty sure given FDev's history of botched roadmaps that this is fair game and legit news.

The 'leak', and assorted reinforcements, are interesting yeah, in terms of wheels possibly being in motion. But the poster was in 'fps, really?' territory. They shouldn't be surprised by the broader beats. They've had plenty of time to prepare themselves for the possibility ;)

What a great post! Great reminder of so many broken promises. But check your links as these two videos are not roadmap videos; they're nothing but marketing videos intended to get people to invest in the company. And this was cheap talk back 7 years ago before the game was even anywhere near 'launch'. You do realize this, correct?

It would be great to see a real development roadmap. FDev have never published one. They showed a release plan for Beyond but that wasn't a development roadmap, oh, and the release plan wasn't even followed!

The 'development plan' vid was embedded in the kickstarter page and mirrors the roadmap attached to the LEP sales of the time (and indeed the sales pages themselves [1],[2],[3],[4]). I disagree with you there. It's a roadmap. And it still holds.

(This is old news though, and you know it Kub. Not sure why you'd want to chew it over for the 100th time.)

The second vid is just hype fluff though yeah ;). But it also still clearly discusses the intention to add Legs. And, pops up with great ease if doing cursory research on where the game intends to go. That's the point.

Last edited:
really, just a mistake ?!
what a pity, but I already thought that this was a hint of an official announcement, I wanted to buy something in frontierstore for joy.
but if not, then perhaps I won’t. Thank you for clarifying!

Diagbar
Pretty sure it's intentional, just like the original leak. That's how marketing works these days, there is nothing better than having people talk about your product.

The 'leak', and assorted reinforcements, are interesting yeah, in terms of wheels possibly being in motion. But the poster was in 'fps, really?' territory. They shouldn't be surprised by the broader beats. They've had plenty of time to prepare themselves for the possibility ;)

The 'development plan' vid was embedded in the kickstarter page and mirrors the roadmap attached to the LEP sales of the time (and indeed the sales pages themselves [1],[2],[3],[4]). I disagree with you there. It's a roadmap. And it still holds.

(This is old news though, and you know it Kub. Not sure why you'd want to chew it over for the 100th time.)

The second vid is just hype fluff though yeah ;). But it also still clearly discusses the intention to add Legs. And, pops up with great ease if doing cursory research on where the game intends to go. That's the point.

Seems it will follow that way?
  • Landing/ driving / prospecting on airless rocky planets, moons & asteroids (2015)
  • Walking around interiors and combative boarding of other ships (2020 New era ?)
  • Combat and other interactions with other players and AIs in the internal areas of star ports (2020 New era ?)
  • Accessing richly detailed planetary surfaces (2020 New era ?)
  • Availability of giant ‘executive control’ ships to players > Fleet carriers (december 2019)

• Landing/ driving / prospecting on airless rocky planets, moons & asteroids (2015)
  • Walking around interiors and combative boarding of other ships (2020 New era ?)
  • Combat and other interactions with other players and AIs in the internal areas of star ports (2020 New era ?)
  • Availability of giant ‘executive control’ ships to players > Fleet carriers (december 2019)

Looks like we finally get another instalment at any rate yeah ;)

All of those were considered discrete PDLCs at the time, so I've kinda set my expectations at: One of those Legs tranches. (Plans change over time though, so it might be less firewalled than that. But I'd be surprised to see that whole spread of Legs additions in one go.)

I'd be doubly surprised to see extensive Atmos additions this round. If the leak is even halfway on the money, then that's a ton of dev & tech to get right just there. (I could see the volumetric cloud tech getting rolled out further, the discoverables being expanded a bit etc. But not a whole suite of surface / atmosphere gameplay that would stand as its own DLC etc.)

Last edited:
After watching that video, it seems that a lot of it was accurate, with the prophesising of Planet coaster Ghostbusters and all that, which means that the space legs for elite could be the next big project. It's hard for me to describe how disappointed i am with that, an fps style addition to the game, really? I guess it makes sense, perfect for what developers want to impose on the martyred console players, (many of whom don't like FPS despite the stereotype) Like there aren't a trillion other FPS out there, that will no doubt do a better job. /facepalm

You know space legs was a thing from the very early days of Kickstarter, including concept art and David Braben talking about how much he wanted it way before there even was a plan or suggestion of a console version of ED? And you know Braben has repeatedly confirmed they are going to do spacelegs, and later publicly stated they had a team working on it? If they do space legs it is nothing but them continuing to deliver on what they set out to do over half a decade ago.

My guess;
  • Accessing richly detailed planetary surfaces (2022-2024 two additional DLCs)

You know space legs was a thing from the very early days of Kickstarter, including concept art and David Braben talking about how much he wanted it way before there even was a plan or suggestion of a console version of ED? And you know Braben has repeatedly confirmed they are going to do spacelegs, and later publicly stated they had a team working on it? If they do space legs it is nothing but them continuing to deliver on what they set out to do over half a decade ago.
Just a minor correction, console support was 'announced' in 2012:
Source: https://youtu.be/EM0Gcl7iUM8?t=340

It's all very exciting and all that but it is such a long, long way off.

I do remember an interview with DB about the reaction to Horizons. He acknowledged that people didn't like paying up front for a season of content. I wonder if this is the reason why there is a two year gap in development; We're going to get one big content dump and that will be it, no 4.1, 4.2, etc just a big 4.0 and patches.

Just asking, do people prefer that or would you prefer the old Horizons/Beyond model.

Looks like we finally get another instalment at any rate yeah ;)

All of those were considered discrete PDLCs at the time, so I've kinda set my expectations at: One of those Legs tranches. (Plans change over time though, so it might be less firewalled than that. But I'd be surprised to see that whole spread of Legs additions in one go.)

I'd be doubly surprised to see extensive Atmos additions this round. If the leak is even halfway on the money, then that's a ton of dev & tech to get right just there. (I could see the volumetric cloud tech getting rolled out further, the discoverables being expanded a bit etc. But not a whole suite of surface / atmosphere gameplay that would stand as its own DLC etc.)
I would have agreed about it being "one of those legs tranches plus change over time" except fdev have supposedly moved away from the horizons style model, ie the new era update will be everything in what would have constituted a season all in one go, post 2 years of development (by that time). So .. I would guess legs in ships, limited in station, combat with thargs, which must mean legs on the existing non atmos planets. With atmospheres and complex planets and the associated legs further down the line.

And really, apart from base building, that is still following the original kickstarter list of features.

But who knows! I'm definitely in the atmospheres rather than base building camp, but I'll take it, whatever the new era is ...

I do remember an interview with DB about the reaction to Horizons. He acknowledged that people didn't like paying up front for a season of content. I wonder if this is the reason why there is a two year gap in development; We're going to get one big content dump and that will be it, no 4.1, 4.2, etc just a big 4.0 and patches.

Just asking, do people prefer that or would you prefer the old Horizons/Beyond model.

The Horizons model is bad on every level for everyone involved, with the sole advantage being a cash injection at the start. FD is now in a position it doesnt need that, and it can easily invest 2 years of full development with the earnings to be made in the future. This allows them to only show/market/sell/hint at stuff they know they have, which is really a much better position for them. And ultimately, us. No more 'volcanic planets' please.

Yes, pretty sure that's the case. The New Era we were told a year ago had gone in to full production, so 2 full years to release for the whole of ....whatever it is. And did Will's forum post giving us more info early this year not suggest the New Era was a complete dlc, rather than a season? Can't remember for sure.

Top Bottom