Roadmap leaked??

I'm hoping they've only got two items on sale;-

1. Full package - which is Elite, Horizons, Beyond and new era.
2. Upgrade package - which will upgrade you to New era, including Horisons if you've only got the base game.

Horisons will have been out almost 5 years, it seems silly to split the player base any further. Maybe charge a little more (seriously not much) if people need Horisons as well ( just if you're feeling salty about it) but make sure that everyone who upgrades or buys new is at the same level.
Yup, Horizons should be included in the new Era, but it should cost less for people who already own it.

I'd love the 4.1, 4.2, etc. model if only it were feasible. Frontier doesn't have the necessary resources to release big meaningful updates every three to six months. MC being the most obvious example for a bare bone main feature because FD ran out of time.

That isn't what is being discussed. It's not about how often or how big updates are, but how it's sold: do you pay in advance for a series of promised updates, or do you pay per update when it's done. That is regardless of how frequent the updates are.

More likely the Horizons-only features would be merged into the base game. I see no sense in making the DLC time-limited.
From an assumption that the number of issues introduced by each patch, and the increasing number not resolved may be a consequence, or at least not helped by, the number of different code bases and complexity that produces.

It's just an assumption though, and could be completely incorrect.

If they merge horizons in to the base game, (good idea btw) then I'm just suggesting they may plan to do similar with the next DLC, whatever that is.

I've read this post 3 times and I still don't get it.
perhaps the translator did not translate correctly.
ok, simple.
the only marketing move of the fd regarding the “new era”, after which I want to give them my money, this is only an announcement of its contents.
at the moment, I would rather spend my money on something more significant.
in my opinion, fd did not deserve them. and I'm waiting for the moment when I can change my mind.
I hope now the translator did everything right.

Diagbar

From an assumption that the number of issues introduced by each patch, and the increasing number not resolved may be a consequence, or at least not helped by, the number of different code bases and complexity that produces.
There is only one code base i.e. Horizons and the base game share the same executable, but the Horizons features are unlocked by a flag in your account. The complexity comes on the marketing side (and to a lesser extent, the publishing or distribution).
If they merge horizons in to the base game, (good idea btw) then I'm just suggesting they may plan to do similar with the next DLC, whatever that is.
Ah ok, yes long term that would make sense.

May I say that this "customizations for buildings" "error" makes the last ED 2020 info "leak" look more reliable now.... so maybe base building + spacelegs is the thing for the end 2020 AERA.

The totally sad side of that "leak" is that it also said that there is no info or any hint that we will see landable atmospheric planets... somehow I fear that it's the not so exciting bitter truth...

Exactly. That leak has been slowly but surely confirmed by pretty much everything that happened.

Good luck keeping the already-disgruntled community happy for a whole year simply with the hope that space legs will change everything.

perhaps the translator did not translate correctly.
ok, simple.
the only marketing move of the fd regarding the “new era”, after which I want to give them my money, this is only an announcement of its contents.
at the moment, I would rather spend my money on something more significant.
in my opinion, fd did not deserve them. and I'm waiting for the moment when I can change my mind.
I hope now the translator did everything right.

Diagbar
Now I get it. Yes, I didn't mean that leaking information now would somehow encourage you to spend money. It does get them into the media though and people who never heard of the game before might buy it because otherwise it's possible they never heard about it. It's basically free advertising. Also, as long as people think about your game and discuss about it, it's less likely that they forget about it and move on.

Now I get it. Yes, I didn't mean that leaking information now would somehow encourage you to spend money. It does get them into the media though and people who never heard of the game before might buy it because otherwise it's possible they never heard about it. It's basically free advertising. Also, as long as people think about your game and discuss about it, it's less likely that they forget about it and move on.
perhaps, however, so far I have not seen articles on the network under the heading "unexpected fdev error revealed their plans for the future of the elite!"
maybe if their marketers and managers finally finish posting the seals on twitter and get down to business, will the results be better?

Diagbar

That isn't what is being discussed. It's not about how often or how big updates are, but how it's sold: do you pay in advance for a series of promised updates, or do you pay per update when it's done. That is regardless of how frequent the updates are.

In that case it's the latter, obviously. Especially since Frontier have shown that they can't keep those promises (like all other devs) because that's just life and things happen. Predicting the future is hard.

There is only one code base i.e. Horizons and the base game share the same executable, but the Horizons features are unlocked by a flag in your account. The complexity comes on the marketing side (and to a lesser extent, the publishing or distribution).

Okay, thanks, that makes sense. Presumably there is additional complexity in the code as a result of accommodating players with different access levels?

So, as an example, does the game prevent missions generating that require a visit planet side for non-horizons players? I would guess there are quite a few scenarios, and potential for others not visible to players?

I'm wondering if the 'Buildings' bit referred to other games in the Frontier armoury, I don't have them and I don't know if there' a customisation for them or not so please attack me with hammers and spit corn flakes at me if I'm totally wrong, but the info page might have been for the whole of Frontier developments and shoved out in error... as Will Said

Edit:
A second clarification from Will could bring us to our senses if this were true

In that case it's the latter, obviously. Especially since Frontier have shown that they can't keep those promises (like all other devs) because that's just life and things happen. Predicting the future is hard.

Absolutely. The only reason to go with the former is if you really need the cash up front. In any case FD made it clear they enjoyed that model about as much as we did, and aren't planning on doing that again. Which, indeed, makes sense.

I'm wondering if the 'Buildings' bit referred to other games in the Frontier armoury, I don't have them and I don't know if there' a customisation for them or not so please attack me with hammers and spit corn flakes at me if I'm totally wrong, but the info page might have been for the whole of Frontier developments and shoved out in error... as Will Said

They explicitly mention it is for Elite Dangerous...

Exactly. That leak has been slowly but surely confirmed by pretty much everything that happened.

Good luck keeping the already-disgruntled community happy for a whole year simply with the hope that space legs will change everything.
I don't think space legs will change everything. It will add more gameplay/experience and freedom to our commanders. It should be silly to think otherwise.

Yeah, I know, but errors happen in 'copy paste - replace delete' I've done it myself for invoices when I've been lazy and/or short of time, anyway it was only a thought!
The giveaway was the lightning speed with which this was addressed .... at about 8pm UK time, which is way after normal office hours for a relatively innocuous line of code.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
I don't think space legs will change everything. It will add more gameplay/experience and freedom to our commanders. It should be silly to think otherwise.

Indeed. If a player is fundamentally unhappy now about the state of the game and its development I highly doubt anything coming in the new era would change his/ her mind.

Especially if said player is past beyond hundreds/thousands of hours played. At that point we enter highly diminishing returns territory in terms of re-sparking interest and anything short of a miracle would probably not be enough for them.

Top Bottom