Do "purple-haired heroes" scare everyone into Solo?

The distribution of influence could well have a greater effect on others than those credits will have on your CMDR.

You've not convinced me to stop playing, nor to be concerned with anyone else.

If this were the case you wouldn't have been able to increase your reputation with that faction. No faction native to Mingfu has had a presence outside Mingfu in a very long time.
Unfortunately the changes to our interface in 3.3 prevent me from showing my faction standing, so I can't show you what I have accumulated, but I will say, without a doubt, that even post 3.3, it IS possible to gain reputation and influence with a faction that is locked away, like MFI, however it has to be done in a very roundabout and indirect manner, which is incredibly tedious.

It would allow you to be one of the few people with any ability to influence the factions inside Mingfu, giving you the power to dictate if and when access becomes available.

Time, perhaps a lot of it, will tell.

You could well do so unintentionally.

By that token, so could anyone and everyone else, almost assuredly mitigating whatever I do without so much as noticing.

Sure it does, just not to you.

A circular argument at best, see #1 above.

By design the BGS is a major aspect of the game and one of the primary ways CMDRs interact with the setting and each other...so much so that they canned the entire offline game because it wouldn't work without the mutually updated BGS.

Is that why? Were you there for that decision? Offline, it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference. Online, what little difference it ultimately makes is still approaching zero.

Reiterating that nothing matters to you is not an argument for it not mattering to others.

Re-reinterating, others do not matter to me. Each of us our our own problem. I owe no one anything, nor does anyone owe me anything - well, except for one fellow, and it's $5, but that's a different matter entirely.

I know there is seed data that is responsible for the location and other properties of every star, but I was under the impression that seeds and unique identifiers for sub-bodies within those systems weren't generated until the the system was actually visited by someone. However, I could well be misremembering or misinterpreting something.

I suspect, if anything, the contents of any given, unexplored system, are known to Stellar Forge, but the "where is it right now" are not calculated for an undiscovered system. Likewise, when a system is void of players, I suspect they go into a sort of "suspended animation" state, where calculations for that system are not made again until someone enters that system. It likely explains why previously undiscovered systems usually show all their planets in nice, straight lines, since nature abhors straight lines.

That first visitor establishes a "baseline", and the next visitor has the positions of bodies calculated from that baseline during the jump-in loading sequence of Frame Shift jumping. At least, that's what makes sense to me to do, to avoid unnecessary calculations and data bloat.

You've not convinced me to stop playing, nor to be concerned with anyone else.

I never said you should stop playing or be concerned with anyone else.

Unfortunately the changes to our interface in 3.3 prevent me from showing my faction standing, so I can't show you what I have accumulated, but I will say, without a doubt, that even post 3.3, it IS possible to gain reputation and influence with a faction that is locked away, like MFI, however it has to be done in a very roundabout and indirect manner, which is incredibly tedious.

And why would you do that, if it doesn't matter?

Is that why? Were you there for that decision?

Yes, that is why. Yes, I was there when they announced that decision and for the outrage it prompted.

It was a huge deal at the time, about a month before release.

It was in newsletter #49, a crap load of forum and reddit threads, and several news articles.

Ultimately, in Braben's own words:

We have also been able to create a connected experience which lets you play your own story whilst in a dynamic, ever unfolding galaxy that is constantly reacting to what you and every other player is doing, be that trading, combat, exploration or missions. This has become fundamental to the whole experience.

Going forwards, being online lets us constantly both curate and evolve the galaxy, with stories unfolding according to the actions of commanders. Exploration is also a key factor, too, and it is important that what a single player explores matches what other players explore whether single or multiplayer – a complex, coherent world – something we have achieved. Galaxy, story, missions, have to match, and it does mean the single player has to connect to the server from time to time, but this has the added advantage that everyone can participate in the activities that can happen in the galaxy. A fully offline experience would be unacceptably limited and static compared to the dynamic, ever unfolding experience we are delivering.

Offline, it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference. Online, what little difference it ultimately makes is still approaching zero.

I don't agree with you. Braben and Frontier don't agree with you. A very substantial portion of the player base do not seem to agree with you.

Last edited:
@Morbad and @IndigoWyrd

iu

IIRC, we now have two CGs going on simultaneously - a combat CG and a trading CG. I'll be interested to see which attracts more "PvPers"....

I don't know if that observation would be as edifying as you think. Many PvPers express their interest through piracy. Piracy is a big fly-in-the-ointment when trying to stereotype players. Intent is such a big part of game play, and it is almost impossible to discern most of the time. It is a main struggle this game deals with, how to allow for piracy and the like, while offering a believable setting out there.

I don't know if that observation would be as edifying as you think. Many PvPers express their interest through piracy. Piracy is a big fly-in-the-ointment when trying to stereotype players. Intent is such a big part of game play, and it is almost impossible to discern most of the time. It is a main struggle this game deals with, how to allow for piracy and the like, while offering a believable setting out there.

Yeah well, it is not like the 'rats didn't post sensible suggestions on how to make the intent identifiable.
(Demand bribe/cargo)
Interaction in this game is very basal and the mechanics, don't get me started.

That would be my assumption and hope for anyone looking for a challenge.
The amount of PvP traffic is orders of magnitude higher in combat CG's, despite inferences otherwise. Doesn't mean there won't be pvpers putting down traders, but not nearly as many. Most traders are either going to go pg/solo or make liberal use of the block button, so there just isn't a lot of incentive to operate there.

Yeah well, it is not like the 'rats didn't post sensible suggestions on how to make the intent identifiable.
(Demand bribe/cargo)
Interaction in this game is very basal and the mechanics, don't get me started.

With piracy looking the way it does in ED, I agree that some very basic tools could make it more viable.

However, I think piracy should really look more like the armored car robbery scene in Heat...fake 'rescue one' shows up to distract you, disguised hauler smashes your ship, and some NPC crew member or rookie wingman with coke problem and an itchy trigger finger starts shooting the victims...

Of course that's just one possible scenario, and a fairly extreme one...still more plausible than the sort of well-mannered 'piracy' that some seem to expect.

With piracy looking the way it does in ED, I agree that some very basic tools could make it more viable.

However, I think piracy should really look more like the armored car robbery scene in Heat...fake 'rescue one' shows up to distract you, disguised hauler smashes your ship, and some NPC crew member or rookie wingman with coke problem and an itchy trigger finger starts shooting the victims...

Except that everyone has evacuated into the interior of your ship, you let the idiots onboard, then blow them out into space by explosive decompression and ignite your engines as they float behind you... and no one's dumb enough to try that again. Breaking into a ship, in space... makes for good Hollywood, makes for bad reality.

Of course that's just one possible scenario, and a fairly extreme one...still more plausible than the sort of well-mannered 'piracy' that some seem to expect.

I wouldn't start there, as what we have as basal piracy is working,
but lacking.
Piracy, like all jobs are, is pretty onesided.
You can only rob ships.

You cannot start preparations for raiding surface site depots,
and you are at the whims of RNG all the time.
The missions offset this a bit, as they hard spawn a target,
here is way more potential to improve on.

You can also check USSes like the convoys or trade beacons,
but again here RNG strikes, and you have no means to tailor it
to your expectations.

I'd rather have high tech piracy requiring a brain and some tools
to set the stage, than bully Archon's muscletroop zooming in
and stealing everything at gun point.
Still we cannot hack beacons to track shipping lines and detect
valuable targets, we have to cope up with RNGesus rolling his spreadsheet.

Top Bottom