General Nerf Frame Shift Drive Interdictor

Okay, I'm fairly new to the game of Elite. I started playing the game a little over a month ago and love it so far. There are things that do need to be fixed and i think a simple one would be to change how the frame shift drive interdictor works. I get the fact that there are people that like to gank other for really no reason. I wouldn't mind if it was to pirate me or if i was for say wanted. What i would liked changed about the interdictor is making it a little, just tiny bit (not too much) harder for the person doing the interdiction to interdict you. i find it so easy to get away from npc's, but when faced with another player the only option seems to be to submit. If someone is new to the game like in a sidewinder (like just started for the first time) I'm sure they would find this frustrating and most likely choose to play solo instead of open. I like being in open with others and i would like to see more people playing in open. I do like a good challenge, but i do not like having any chance against another person that is only their to troll or grief. I think also adding a longer cool down on the interdictor would be nice too. I like there being combat in the game. i like being challenged, i just dont like being interdicted when doing a communtity goal and stand little to no chance to get away or to evade the interdiction. The friends that i have that play the game refuse to play in open simply because of this issue. I like there being some form of gankers in the game. i do believe that it should be challenging for both parties and not just the one. I would greatly like to see something about this done, though i'm sure it wont. It'd just be nice to have friends in open play with me and other players. I know there is "private" but what good is that... you might as well be saying the gankers should just play in the arena since they like to destroy stuff. Anyways, I hope maybe something could be done so that more people would feel more comfort in joining open instead of going solo or private. Thank you to any that reads this.

You play in Open mode you take your chances. You want Open mode to reflect how you play the game looking for friends well good luck with that. Frontier designed this game so when playing in Solo or Group modes after engineering your ship it is a pretty easy game. Frontier also designed Open mode with a quantum leap in serious combat for players wanting to push the envelope. Highly engineered ships and knowing how to use them is the norm in Open play. A player can still play in Open looking for friends after they have a well built ship. Great pilot skills and knowing where to make friends works better. Sorry but that is the game.

Still spending hundreds of hours playing this game, or learning to play a guitar or keyboard, or running for political office to make a difference in our world makes playing this game a little silly. In a little more than 12 hours Spooks are going to show up looking for treats at my house in the USA. My dogs cannot wait to meet them and I'll probably be flying a ship in ED awaiting for the doorbell to ring. Go Figure.

Regards

Last edited:
Interdiction is supposed to be hard to escape from, because it's an early one of many steps in which you can escape.

1) Can you avoid being interdicted at all?
2) Can you escape the interdiction?
3) Can you beat your attacker in combat?
4) Can you hold out long enough for NPC police help to arrive? (Versus a murderous player, these will likely be ATR and arrive quickly, so you don't have to survive very long)
5) Can you escape from your attacker by outrunning them?
6) Can you escape from your attacker by hyperspacing out of the system?

If the early steps are made too easy then the later ones become irrelevant (as is seen with NPC combat where the NPC interdictions are virtually impossible to lose with a bit of practice, and therefore NPC combat becomes entirely optional)

As it happens, the interdiction mechanism is relatively fair - but because the NPCs don't put up any sort of meaningful challenge, player attackers tend to have way more practice at it than player defenders. With practice, you can probably beat quite a few of the attackers ... on the other hand, with practice you can probably beat quite a few of them in combat, too.

Okay, I'm fairly new to the game of Elite. I started playing the game a little over a month ago and love it so far. There are things that do need to be fixed and i think a simple one would be to change how the frame shift drive interdictor works. I get the fact that there are people that like to gank other for really no reason. I wouldn't mind if it was to pirate me or if i was for say wanted. What i would liked changed about the interdictor is making it a little, just tiny bit (not too much) harder for the person doing the interdiction to interdict you. i find it so easy to get away from npc's, but when faced with another player the only option seems to be to submit. If someone is new to the game like in a sidewinder (like just started for the first time) I'm sure they would find this frustrating and most likely choose to play solo instead of open. I like being in open with others and i would like to see more people playing in open. I do like a good challenge, but i do not like having any chance against another person that is only their to troll or grief. I think also adding a longer cool down on the interdictor would be nice too. I like there being combat in the game. i like being challenged, i just dont like being interdicted when doing a communtity goal and stand little to no chance to get away or to evade the interdiction. The friends that i have that play the game refuse to play in open simply because of this issue. I like there being some form of gankers in the game. i do believe that it should be challenging for both parties and not just the one. I would greatly like to see something about this done, though i'm sure it wont. It'd just be nice to have friends in open play with me and other players. I know there is "private" but what good is that... you might as well be saying the gankers should just play in the arena since they like to destroy stuff. Anyways, I hope maybe something could be done so that more people would feel more comfort in joining open instead of going solo or private. Thank you to any that reads this.

If you want to play in Open for the social aspect, you need to rely heavily on the Block function.
Or
Spend time in Solo/PG until you can engineer your ship. Once your ship is strong enough to be able to (high) wake after an interdiction, you can resume playing in Open

Interdiction is supposed to be hard to escape from, because it's an early one of many steps in which you can escape.

1) Can you avoid being interdicted at all?
2) Can you escape the interdiction?
3) Can you beat your attacker in combat?
4) Can you hold out long enough for NPC police help to arrive? (Versus a murderous player, these will likely be ATR and arrive quickly, so you don't have to survive very long)
5) Can you escape from your attacker by outrunning them?
6) Can you escape from your attacker by hyperspacing out of the system?

If the early steps are made too easy then the later ones become irrelevant (as is seen with NPC combat where the NPC interdictions are virtually impossible to lose with a bit of practice, and therefore NPC combat becomes entirely optional)

As it happens, the interdiction mechanism is relatively fair - but because the NPCs don't put up any sort of meaningful challenge, player attackers tend to have way more practice at it than player defenders. With practice, you can probably beat quite a few of the attackers ... on the other hand, with practice you can probably beat quite a few of them in combat, too.

Interdiction is a broken feature making Elite's network issues even more glaring than rubberbanding commanders around SD. It is not designed to be hard, its lack of design just make it the stupid minigame you just learn to loose on intent so you get a chance to high wake. Because of course if you just low wake it can be spammed and chained by the opposing wing.

It is level zero of player interaction. Turn based RNG dice roll would have been better than this. No proper lag compensation lead to bad real time interaction, specially in supercruise.

Watch Rinzler's guide: "Git Gud At Trading" on YouTube, that will show you how to escape the , I mean gankers.

Instead of outright Nerfing the game, why not introduce some sort of Karma into the game? You kill a player with no bounty, negative Karma builds up. Pirating them and just taking cargo, or shooting at them after they shoot at you first, no negative Karma, clean robbery, clean kill.

Negative Karma persists. Bad things happen because of it. Inexplicable system failures, (weapons, drives, shields, cargo hatches, etc.) point blank misses. It only dies when you lose ships totaling in value in excess of what you had dirty kills on. Gankers would quit if their prox mines, torpedoes, or whatever, detonated on them instead of their targets. As their negative Karma went up, they would find their ability to Gank someone diminish to the point of being impossible.

No indicator of when you have Negative Karma. No way to clean it other than die at the hands of another player and lose sufficient ship value, (who themselves could gain negative Karma if not done right) It would make Ganking a very expensive sport. It would not do away with it. But a few would lose their taste for it.

I share your frustration. I have even been ganked in open as a triple elite doing trading runs on a community effort mission. Made me go back to only Solo and Private Groups for that period of time. I don't care to expend the time to figure out how to beat the Gankers at their own game.

I'd love to see the Gankers gank themselves by continuing to play the way they do. Until Frontier decides to do something about it though, I'll have to agree with those who suggest playing Solo, or in a private Group such as Mobius. Yeah, those few people have fun, but only by spoiling it for a whole lot more people. I don't think that is a good model to continue, unless you want people to give up on the game. Hopefully, Frontier will come to that realization. Just don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen...

;'{P~~~

This video just shows people how to loose the minigame and submit to interdictions. And grind for engineered shield boosters. Ironic to call that a guide
The guide doesn't actually have you doing any engineering. It's also a bit out of date as the Type-7 has received a hull mass reduction, a buff to armour strength, a larger power plant and a larger distributor since then.

Here's an updated version of the Type-7 build shown in Rinzler's video. Notice that it while it can carry the same amount of cargo, it now has 2.5x the armour strength, an extra 2 ly of jump range, 10% more shield strength, and can permaboost. I daresay that the build can still survive in open even with the additional engineering power creep that has been added since the video was posted.

Last edited:
The guide doesn't actually have you doing any engineering. It's also a bit out of date as the Type-7 has received a hull mass reduction, a buff to armour strength, a larger power plant and a larger distributor since then.

Here's an updated version of the Type-7 build shown in Rinzler's video. Notice that it while it can carry the same amount of cargo, it now has 2.5x the armour strength, an extra 2 ly of jump range, 10% more shield strength, and can permaboost. I daresay that the build can still survive in open even with the additional engineering power creep that has been added since the video was posted.

The "guide" shows how to loose the minigame and submit. It's as stupid as it sound. Why not go the extra step, submit and let the other blow you up, so you get 6 Arx? Everyone wins, happy fun times.

The mechanism need you to loose on purpose, it's broken. Period. FDev just need to come up with something tailored to the level of interaction a freeform organic lagfest like supercruise instances could deliver.

Wait you are aware that submission and waking is SUPER fast and means you're basically gone before matey can do any significant damage.

You fight the interdiction? You die. Simple as that.

Theres people been playing for 3-5 years, they don't mess about. You are'nt going to beat them in interdictions even if FDev made it 50% easier for the target vessel, beleive me, the same result will ensue.

Go get setup, make some money, get some ships and then do some engineering, you won't survive anyway in the PvP circuit unless you have a ship thats up to the job, and even then you're going to get killed so many times you will have to ask FDev for your PvP scoresheet to find out what the number is, but eventually, after you get the ship and finish your course of gid gud pills PvP is the most rewarding aspect of the game for anyone interested in combat. You gotta work for it though, same as we all did.

Top Bottom