Time to abandon it

Yeah it fades just before the ship touches the pad. Think it bounced?
It didn't bounce. I just don't see the point in them spending a huge amount of money to make something look as authentic as it does then not give us the update. What an utterly pointless exercise and waste of money that would be. It's probably cheaper for them to create the update instead.

From what I have seen I would say that fleet carriers were very close to release, but they have decided to concentrate on fixing bugs and other minor parts of the game that can be improved upon like what we got in the beta.

It also gives then time to refine the fleet carriers even more, with hopefully more options.

as we never saw in game footage of them in action.

Im pretty sure i have seen the footage. It doesnt take alot to up the resolution a bit and paste that patch of texture into a single planet in a developer instance. Give enough time and right tools i could probably manage it myself without even needing help.

Edit: i wouldnt swear to it but i feel like i have seen that picture move. I might be mistaken.

From what I have seen I would say that fleet carriers were very close to release, but they have decided to concentrate on fixing bugs

Well been at this a while now and i dont want to crush your dreams. We will find out eventually.

To be honest, we don't know if the ice planet pics from FDev were actual in game shots or mock ups, as we never saw in game footage of them in action. They look like in game shots, but we truthfully do not know.

Now Fleet Carriers had some actual footage, so they do indeed look to be fairly far along. Or were far along. FDev has at least started them, for certain. Maybe. Probably.
They were moving around with what looked like the in-game camera. They weren't just screen shots.

Source: https://youtu.be/cHbg6SmvhW0

The fps looks low which makes me think they had issues optimising it.

It actually says development tests-not final. Definitely work in progress.

Even more evidence to dash Burke's hopes of a scam.

Last edited:
But knowing how Frontier loves exploration and explorers, they have read the many long threads about the desire to have an ADS like mechanism in the game, and I'm sure a significant part of the 2020 update will expand on the exploration tools which will provide for the explorers who are missing that functionality without compromising the players who are currently enjoying exploration. :)

I'm kidding, I'm kidding.
I'm thinking along these lines too. They'll probably add comets, exotic stars, black hole accretion disks, dark systems, and some kind of mysterious functionality for the Thargoid starmap too. They just see the galaxy differently. Then there are all those permit locked systems. The Guardian FSD is supposed to be different kind of FSD, that makes strange things happen. It's gonna be like finding these isolated bubbles of alternate reality inside the witchspace.

Last edited:
No they were not mocked up. That is in-game assets.
Are we talking about the translucent ice shaders? Personally I totally believe they were genuine in engine shots. But that said they were a billion miles from the target impressions that the developers were using as their end game goal for new ice planets we were shown in 2017 as a carrot to get us to stop moaning about the delay of DLC #2. Whether they had made any progress at all on that or if what we saw at lavecon (I think it was) was all they had...... I am less confident about.

Are we talking about the translucent ice shaders? Personally I totally believe they were genuine in engine shots. But that said they were a billion miles from the target impressions that the developers were using as their end game goal for new ice planets we were shown in 2017 as a carrot to get us to stop moaning about the delay of DLC #2. Whether they had made any progress at all on that or if what we saw at lavecon (I think it was) was all they had...... I am less confident about.
I think they were just a part of what of that target impression. There is also meant to be the updated rock scatter system.

But yeah, we have no idea how much work has actually gone into that. But again there is no proof either way.

DB has wanted comets for a long time so I'm sure we'll get them at some point. Hopefully they'll be more than just eye-candy that would be interesting for 2 minutes and then forgotten.

I'm thinking along these lines too. They'll probably add comets, exotic stars, black hole accretion disks, dark systems, and some kind of mysterious functionality for the Thargoid starmap too. They just see the galaxy differently. Then there are all those permit locked systems. The Guardian FSD is supposed to be different kind of FSD, that makes strange things happen. It's gonna be like finding these isolated bubbles of alternate reality inside the witchspace.

Oddly enough it was all the moaning that caused the delay of DLC #2 in the first place.

Not another advert for scam citizen.

I play it. In fact I sometimes switch from ED and back for a while. IT IS NOT A SCAM. The latest patch did well and so will the next one. OMG I really going to say that; in fact it's grander than all the space games I played so far.

You know it's hard to call SC a scam when you get regular (weekly) development updates, insights and quarterly patches - compared to some other game companies out there...just saying.

And noo, I have always and still do like ED but, SC is not a scam because of this fact.

I play it. In fact I sometimes switch from ED and back for a while. IT IS NOT A SCAM. The latest patch did well and so will the next one. OMG I really going to say that; in fact it's grander than all the space games I played so far.

You know it's hard to call SC a scam when you get regular (weekly) development updates, insights and quarterly patches - compared to some other game companies out there...just saying.

And noo, I have always and still do like ED but, SC is not a scam because of this fact.

The guy "making" it claimed he'd release it in 2014 and that any extra money meant a faster release because he was so capable, honest and wasn't being held back by a publisher.

Also AAA video games are worth about $50, push it up to $80 if it comes with some nice extras. DLC maybe half as much as the base game. $27,000 dollars for a ship pack that doesn't actually have all the ships and you need to spend $1000 to qualify for is so far over what's realistic, sane and reasonable it cannot possibly ever be on the level.

The ship prices of star citizen are exactly like the spelling mistakes in an e-mail from a Nigerian prince they are specifically designed to weed out the people who can immediately spot its dodgy. First rule of scamming is always go for the people who will angrily deny they are being scammed.

The ship prices of star citizen are exactly like the spelling mistakes in an e-mail from a Nigerian prince they are specifically designed to weed out the people who can immediately spot its dodgy. First rule of scamming is always go for the people who will angrily deny they are being scammed.
So long as it is adults paying that kind of money and not kids i struggle to care to be honest.
I worry about the land sales because it may actually mean less stuff for those who want to play the game rather than skip all the content..... but if a grown adult wants to throw 20k at the game, then so be it.... IF they are doing that and leaving thenselves short afterwards then really that is on them.

I have my concerns with the game - dialing back on stretch goals such as VR and the 100 planets, as well as that pvp slider to minimise forced PvP (I am still hoping that gets changed again) but being milked isnt a worry for me. I am in the hole as it were for , not sure if it is $60 or $65 for both SC and S42. They wont be getting a penny more and i am comfortable with that outlay.

my problem is, since it has no vr i cant even be bothjered to install it.... which makes me wonder if i will ever want to play it.

back to elite..... I have my dissapontments with the game, and I think 1 proper DLC in 5 years is not what I was expecting or what was intimated.......... but so long as VR is supported I still dont see any other game touching it for what it is, warts and all.

PS "We will be able to do X Y and Z and stay faithful to our vision without being pressured by mass markets because of no nasty publisher" ..... CIG are not the only company to play that card and not really stick to it.

Last edited:
After many years of play I think it's time to abandon it, in the end you realize that the game has too many limits that I hope will be introduced in the future, now everything is limited to grinding and making money and once you get the ship and build properly you have finished the game because everything only leads to making money and nothing else, everything brings you back to this.
For years people have been asking for storage in the stations for the materials and resources collected, being able to walk on the planets and build outposts, add a videochat directly in game with the group's participants, as they are doing on Star Citizen, an audio / video player, make the planets with realistic textures and not all the same with a single color pattern, there is no life in this game and maybe they will be limits of the engine, but I believe it is the lack of desire of the devs to improve the game by investing money, but obviously it is more important to sell skins, what is left to do in this game? jump from one system to another, farming, do missions to get only to make money, too little, there is no capital ship where you could invite party players, it would be more fun to be able to manage the entire ship, mining on foot and missions, I lost all interest, perhaps the new players have not yet understood but at a certain point yes and the money is of no use.

If they had decided to work on Elite Dangerous 2 instead of the 2020 Update I'd have been fine with that, but I think they prefer the "wow" approach where you continually update the existing game while releasing DLC's/Expansions.

So long as it is adults paying that kind of money and not kids i struggle to care to be honest.
I worry about the land sales because it may actually mean less stuff for those who want to play the game rather than skip all the content..... but if a grown adult wants to throw 20k at the game, then so be it.... IF they are doing that and leaving thenselves short afterwards then really that is on them.

The justification for every scam ever carried out.

I have my concerns with the game - dialing back on stretch goals such as VR and the 100 planets, as well as that pvp slider to minimise forced PvP (I am still hoping that gets changed again) but being milked isnt a worry for me. I am in the hole as it were for , not sure if it is $60 or $65 for both SC and S42. They wont be getting a penny more and i am comfortable with that outlay.

It was obvious three or four years ago they'd never manage 100 planets let alone systems, that never stopped them selling exploration ships to the rubes though.

my problem is, since it has no vr i cant even be bothjered to install it.... which makes me wonder if i will ever want to play it.

There might be an MVP one day, its going to be a 4/10 bargain bin special though.

back to elite..... I have my dissapontments with the game, and I think 1 proper DLC in 5 years is not what I was expecting or what was intimated.......... but so long as VR is supported I still dont see any other game touching it for what it is, warts and all.

Its not what they told us was happening or what they planned for, they did warn us it was possible way back at kickstarter. The plan changed with the Horizons meltdown related financial and release method rethink, they told us that at the time.

PS "We will be able to do X Y and Z and stay faithful to our vision without being pressured by mass markets because of no nasty publisher" ..... CIG are not the only company to play that card and not really stick to it.

CIG like to act like the underdog fighting back against the evil big game devs as part of their public image, the fact they are an evil big game dev makes it just another transparent bit of flim flam.

If they had decided to work on Elite Dangerous 2 instead of the 2020 Update I'd have been fine with that, but I think they prefer the "wow" approach where you continually update the existing game while releasing DLC's/Expansions.

I still believe the New Era is essentially Elite Dangerous 2. A new core game engine re-using all of the current assets, with most of the feature modules simply swapped over as is but a lot of the feature code modified to utilize the new and improved features of the rebuilt core. Improved graphics, networking, reworked vehicle code including first person, etc.

Very much like what Blizzard is doing with Overwatch 2. That's what I think ED's New Era is.

I still believe the New Era is essentially Elite Dangerous 2. A new core game engine re-using all of the current assets, with most of the feature modules simply swapped over as is but a lot of the feature code modified to utilize the new and improved features of the rebuilt core. Improved graphics, networking, reworked vehicle code including first person, etc.

I think you might be getting your hopes up just a little bit. How did you manage to make the jump from possible legs to an entire rebuild?

The justification for every scam ever carried out.
if the game never comes out, or if the ships players bought dont come out, or if the stretch goals which a specific payment was made dont make it in, then i will be with you, it will be a scam.

but if they do make it in, then it is not a scam, just an insane amount of money to pay....................... but that is why adults get to make their own decisions. I am no SC appologist but equally, at the moment at least there is nothing to warrant comparing star citizen to email money scams. (I say that as someone who thinks it is bat crazy mental to spend 1000s of pounds on an ingame ship, but there are loads of things i think are crazy money, and equally there are loads of things i spend a lot of money on that other people will probably look at me and think i have a screw loose as well.

Top Bottom