Time to abandon it

I still believe the New Era is essentially Elite Dangerous 2. A new core game engine re-using all of the current assets, with most of the feature modules simply swapped over as is but a lot of the feature code modified to utilize the new and improved features of the rebuilt core. Improved graphics, networking, reworked vehicle code including first person, etc.

Very much like what Blizzard is doing with Overwatch 2. That's what I think ED's New Era is.
I would be fine with that myself....... i would even saccrifice all my 1st discoveries and be prepared to start from scratch with a new CMDR.... I doubt that would fly with other folk however....... so what ever happens i suspect progress will be carried over.

if the game never comes out, or if the ships players bought dont come out, or if the stretch goals which a specific payment was made dont make it in, then i will be with you, it will be a scam.

but if they do make it in, then it is not a scam, just an insane amount of money to pay....................... but that is why adults get to make their own decisions. I am no SC appologist but equally, at the moment at least there is nothing to warrant comparing star citizen to email money scams. (I say that as someone who thinks it is bat crazy mental to spend 1000s of pounds on an ingame ship, but there are loads of things i think are crazy money, and equally there are loads of things i spend a lot of money on that other people will probably look at me and think i have a screw loose as well.

By that theory if someone sells you a lead ring plated with gold as a gold ring they haven't scammed you because they delivered on the ring, which obviously isn't the case.

I buy cars for about £6000 second hand good condition and last ten years down the country tracks where I live. No point paying more due to the potholes, downed tree's and such. At the CIG price multiplication rate of 560xstandard industry price ($50 dollars AAA game $28,000 SC incomplete ship pack) they would want £3,360,000 for a promise of the same second hand car that had no wheels and was on fire.

That's so far beyond dodgy its comical. The sheer scale of the overpricing is truly ridiculous. It hasn't gone wonky yet because nobody with their stuff together has or will ever buy in at that scale.

The only people who ever would are incapable of doing anything about it. Hence my theory the ship prices are used to weed out "unsuitable" backers.

That's so far beyond dodgy its comical. The sheer scale of the overpricing is truly ridiculous. It hasn't gone wonky yet because nobody with their stuff together has or will ever buy in at that scale.
Where is your "but it is optional argument" here? You are not buying anything from CIG, you are gifting them money and they provide you some small incentive. It is not mandatory to pay that much to play the game alpha, nor to get hold of the ships.

Where is your "but it is optional argument" here? You are not buying anything from CIG, you are gifting them money and they provide you some small incentive. It is not mandatory to pay that much to play the game alpha, nor to get hold of the ships.

You don't "gift" money to a commercial company who are trying to sell you a product. The fact you think making voluntary donations to them is normal just shows how odd the whole star citizen hype train is.

I like my local bakery and buy things there fairly often, yet I've never popped in just to hand them a great big wad of cash.

SC isn't in alpha their "product" hasn't reached that stage and probably never will.

By that theory if someone sells you a lead ring plated with gold as a gold ring they haven't scammed you because they delivered on the ring, which obviously isn't the case.
but they havent delivered the lead ring yet, so whether it is a scam or not is still unknown.

That said, I am truly interested and surprised in your stance here.... Every feature FD listed pre-release which has not made it into the game, ones which were used to get people to go big on their purchases such as the life time pass you are very vocal are all just theory crafting and hopes and dreams.... and you are quick to point to small print about features subject to change etc.
I havent looked because I am no where near as interested in SC as I am ED, but i would be gobsmacked if CIG do not have exactly the same get out clauses in place.

OP - You havent finished 'till you find Raxxla and exposed the Dark Wheel

Leaving the job half done?

but they havent delivered the lead ring yet, so whether it is a scam or not is still unknown.

You don't need to check the ring when the seller is nervously shifting from one foot to another has kept you waiting since 2014 and wants 560 times the value of a gold ring to know that its a scam. You should leave after checking he didn't steal your watch when shaking your hand.

That said, I am truly interested and surprised in your stance here.... Every feature FD listed pre-release which has not made it into the game, ones which were used to get people to go big on their purchases such as the life time pass you are very vocal are all just theory crafting and hopes and dreams.... and you are quick to point to small print about features subject to change etc.
I havent looked because I am no where near as interested in SC as I am ED, but i would be gobsmacked if CIG do not have exactly the same get out clauses in place.

FDEV have an actual product, which I checked out and bought in having decided I really liked it. SC failed exactly the same testing process and have sent me a begging e-mail every week for years for a vastly overpriced product that doesn't work was due out six years ago and sets off my spidey sense.

Lovely discussion.

At half time we replace SC with LEP and change sides. 😜
lol I some how seem to sound like i am on the side of SC on this one...... which is odd.... given i am very dissapointed at some of the design descision of the game. I just wanted a new wing commander game and was please with the notion of a new privateer thrown in at the same time.

it is taking ages, but it does seem to be slowly coming together now (3rd hand info from what friends have told me, i may actually install 1 day and give it another go and then be more informed).

my only defence of SC really is regarding the expensive ships. Personally i have an no point felt that CIG are forcing me to buy their over priced ships. IF I want to play the game i want to earn them ingame. If this turns out to be essentially impossible then i will likely bin off the game as being a bit rubbish anyway........ if the game is worth playing then it is worth earning my stuff myself.... if that takes a few 1000s of hrs to do it then that is fine so long as the game is good enough.

which is kind of the sticking issue... will the game be good enough once the dust has settled?.

I think you might be getting your hopes up just a little bit. How did you manage to make the jump from possible legs to an entire rebuild?

Because in order to do space legs properly they are going to have to rework the game engine. The vehicular code in the game currently is disjointed and patchworked together. SRV's and SLF's handled differently, mulitplayer supported by one but not the other, one can leave the ship perimeter while one can't. The only way to put first person into the game right now is to make the player avatar another "vehicle", but would it use the SRV or the SLF model?

The best way to future proof the game (and to implement first person) is to rewrite it to have vehicular code integrated into it's foundation consistantly rather than tacked on top like an afterthought. That requires a core engine rewrite.

If they aren't rewriting the core then we'll be getting first person in a half baked version of space legs, and that wouldn't be very appealing nor enticing. If we are getting space legs for the New Era then a core engine rewrite is pretty much required.

The whole its optional argument falls flat as nobody ever tries to scam the penniless.
It's been interesting to me that people moan and howl about delays on free content here, but people are still throwing duffel bags full of cash at SC after being more than 5 years late on the core product with a system built about spending your way to the top.

Some people never want to admit they made a mistake, especially backing something that makes huge promises but ends up being a huge cash dump. Boy that could be a political statement too I guess.

You don't "gift" money to a commercial company who are trying to sell you a product. The fact you think making voluntary donations to them is normal just shows how odd the whole star citizen hype train is.
No, don't put words into my mouth and move goal posts. From the get go the business model of CIG was clear and this is not changed by some people mistakenly think they are forced to spend money on things beyond the license for the base game(s). And it is an entirely different topic, if you should back a millionaire in order for him to produce some computer game. If you were to do this, you can apply the same to FDev and E:D.

I like my local bakery and buy things there fairly often, yet I've never popped in just to hand them a great big wad of cash.
I also can't understand people doing that, but it is optional, entirely.

It's been interesting to me that people moan and howl about delays on free content here, but people are still throwing duffel bags full of cash at SC after being more than 5 years late on the core product with a system built about spending your way to the top.

Some people never want to admit they made a mistake, especially backing something that makes huge promises but ends up being a huge cash dump. Boy that could be a political statement too I guess.
I suspect you may find the "people" are different in each case. That said I do agree with you to a point... I have no idea why people pay so much for the game. Cant remember where I read it but if you work out a mean average of amount paid per backer I am sure it was something like $120 each.

Great business if you can get it however and my hope is it is just a lot of people with a lot of spare cash happy to back a product they want to see and essentially write it off.....

its over 250 million now, which puts it firmly in the GTA / RDR2 terratory of costs..... and still climbing. I wonder what the final scores on the doors will be when the game finally launches? And will there be anyone left to buy it or will the playerbase be almost saturated by then?

When SC 1st started CR said no console would be capable of running the game... That was an entire console generation ago. If need be there are always the XB2/PS5 cows to milk.

IF when the game launches it is the game it was hype to be, all this will be quickly forgotten. IF it is a generic clunky mess however then there will be a lot of very unhappy people, and conversly a lot of other people who will be delighted (it is clear as much as there are some deluded fans of the game who will see nothing bad said against it, there are imo a possibly equal number revelling in every delay and who would actually be dissapointed if the game does end up being really good).

Last edited:
I suspect you may find the "people" are different in each case. That said I do agree with you to a point... I have no idea why people pay so much for the game. Cant remember where I read it but if you work out a mean average of amount paid per backer I am sure it was something like $120 each.

Great business if you can get it however and my hope is it is just a lot of people with a lot of spare cash happy to back a product they want to see and essentially write it off.....

its over 250 million now, which puts it firmly in the GTA / RDR2 terratory of costs..... and still climbing. I wonder what the final scores on the doors will be when the game finally launches? And will there be anyone left to buy it or will the playerbase be almost saturated by then?

When SC 1st started CR said no console would be capable of running the game... That was an entire console generation ago. If need be there are always the XB2/PS5 cows to milk.

IF when the game launches it is the game it was hype to be, all this will be quickly forgotten. IF it is a generic clunky mess however then there will be a lot of very unhappy people, and conversly a lot of other people who will be delighted (it is clear as much as there are some deluded fans of the game who will see nothing bad said against it, there are imo a possibly equal number revelling in every delay and who would actually be dissapointed if the game does end up being really good).
Frankly speaking, with all of the money thrown at it and all the time they've had, the fact that it's not done yet speaks to gross mismanagement of the project.

Until it's done people will forever hold the idea of what it "could" be as what it really is, in their mind. To the people who have bought in, the promises are all real; time and delays don't seem to erode this optimism.

Fantastical promises are better than a more modest reality for some.

Fantastical promises are better than a more modest reality for some.
I think you are looking at extremes. I dare say the silent majority have just forgotten about it and will wait and see what happens. For me it is made much easier because Privateer, whilst I really enjoyed it was always a distant 2nd place for games I wanted to play compared to Elite.

Which is why I care far more about what happens in ED than I ever will in SC. Worst comes to the worst if SC fails i have lost $60 or $65. ED however that was the one I got sucked into all the pre release gumpf, purely because it was Elite 4...... finally. I kicked in much more money into ED than I ever will for SC..

I think you are looking at extremes. I dare say the silent majority have just forgotten about it and will wait and see what happens. For me it is made much easier because Privateer, whilst I really enjoyed it was always a distant 2nd place for games I wanted to play compared to Elite.

Which is why I care far more about what happens in ED than I ever will in SC. Worst comes to the worst if SC fails i have lost $60 or $65. ED however that was the one I got sucked into all the pre release gumpf, purely because it was Elite 4...... finally. I kicked in much more money into ED than I ever will for SC..
Sounds like me, except for me it was No Man's Sky as the 2nd place.

Next year will be interesting though, with more things coming out for Elite, but we'll see how it compares to Dual Universe, Starbase, Kerbal 2, and Outlaw. I think there are some other space games coming out as well, but I can't remember their names. Star Citizen isn't one that I follow anymore either. Might see a headline here or there, but I spent around $60 bucks too, I think, so if it ever become something interesting, the account is already there waiting. From that company, I'm more interested in Squadron 42, but I doubt that will be finished soon either.

That's why the "you won the lottery" for country X letter scam works the people being scammed don't want to admit they never bought a ticket for that countries lottery. Its their greed and dishonesty that makes them fall for it and very hard to persuade they are getting scammed as they think you are trying to steal the lottery win they know they can't legitimately have got so the first hurdle is the fact they are not honest about it.

With star citizen they've managed to convince the whales that ships are an actual investment that will somehow grow even though video games always drop in price post release and the money farmers would be all over a game that expensive. They genuinely think they'll be minted selling them on later so again greed is the key to it.

The very idea of referring to video game stuff as investments is ludicrous.

No, don't put words into my mouth and move goal posts. From the get go the business model of CIG was clear and this is not changed by some people mistakenly think they are forced to spend money on things beyond the license for the base game(s). And it is an entirely different topic, if you should back a millionaire in order for him to produce some computer game. If you were to do this, you can apply the same to FDev and E:D.

I also can't understand people doing that, but it is optional, entirely.

You said people were gifting them money, that's the phrase you chose to use. I didnt make anyhting up.

Its the video game equivalent of TV evangelism.

Top Bottom