Ships Cobra Mk IV Owners Club

Wonder if they will revive the MkIV for ED2 (should it ever come). Personally I hope they come up with another ship similar (
Python Mk2?) as I like the idea that those with faith in FD and who put their money where their mouth is get rewarded.

They should do the MkIV what the Krait MkII did to the Python i.e. the same ship but slightly better, for some roles.

But, keep the MkIV reboot/alternative as a small ship. Small ships can do pretty much everything except mining, the reboot should be a good small ship miner.

They should do the MkIV what the Krait MkII did to the Python i.e. the same ship but slightly better, for some roles.

But, keep the MkIV reboot/alternative as a small ship. Small ships can do pretty much everything except mining, the reboot should be a good small ship miner.

The Cobra Mk4 is the best small ship miner in the game already. Its also a good pirate ship, trade ship, passenger ship, exploration ship, and if kitted well, not a bad combat ship either.

That right there is why it should be made available to everyone, particularly new players just starting out.

They don't make it available people say it should be.

They make it available and people will call FD liars and cheats for not keeping the exclusivity promise.

BadPhonyBarebirdbat-size_restricted.gif

I dont see why the exclusivity is still in place for the Cobra MkIV, the original justification for it was to drive players to Horizons. It was also four years ago (an absolute age in gaming terms).
Since that point, Frontier have changed and evolved so many aspects of the user experience that this artificial constraint appears as a dinosaur from a time long past.
As a PS4 commander, I was never given the chance to own a Cobra MkIV so the argument of 'you didn't buy it when you had the opportunity' doesnt work.

I personally think that Frontier should bite the bullet and simplify their offering, making the Cobra MkIV available to all.
If it needs to be behind some form of artificial attainment level (King or Triple Elite for example) at least that means that it is possible for the PS4 community to be able to gain access to all the ships that the PC and XBox community can. I would like the Cobra MKIV to be available to all platforms but the PC, XBox fight is for other people to have.

Last edited:
Does engineering tha bajeesus out o' 'er thrusters put 'er on par with a Mk3 ?
ps currently docked on The Conduit waiting for it to jump back to the bubble, then prolly gonna flog the Phantom fa a Mk4. kinda think the Phantom is to good a ship for me tbh felt the same way about the Python when I eventually unlocked it.

Last edited:
ps currently docked on The Conduit waiting for it to jump back to the bubble, then prolly gonna flog the Phantom fa a Mk4. kinda think the Phantom is to good a ship for me tbh felt the same way about the Python when I eventually unlocked it.
Mine runs 300 cruise and 450 boost. The flight characteristics of the MK IV are pretty much like a medium ship, but with no noticeable drift and the bonus of being able to land at small pads. Bit meh point though, since there is no small pad only content in the game. If that existed, we'd see a much higher demand for the MK IV.

Keep the MkIV exclusive. I personally like having certain things in the game that I can't have. I wish I did have a MkIV but I really like that there is at least one rare ship.

Short answer - Nowhere near the performance of the MKIII

Long answer:

Coriolis shows max theoretical speed for CM IV is 485.6m/s approx. The link about is my 'racer' version sitting at 482m/s
It is simply too heavy to get anywhere near CM III speeds etc.

However you do not get a CM IV to compete with a CM III. You get it to be a small sized medium ship with silly flexibility in it's internal layout.
That being said with similarly skilled pilots and fully engineered ships the CM III can only run away from a CM IV. The IV is better armed (with way better placement) and better armoured etc. A friend of mine had a duel with my CM IV in his chief. Both well engineered ships but I'd say I was a slightly better combat pilot at the time. Eventually he called it and left as he simply couldn't kill me in full combat fit. I got him to 30% hull approx. before he bailed.
Speed isn't everything....

I've been cruising around Colonia in my Cobra 4, with my virtual arm out the window. It was just like cruising in my family's 1968 Chrysler 4DR, 383 Hemi at the ready. 18 MPG.

With so many internals, I can do just about anything. This is a great ship for randomly bumming around, collecting materials, and casual exploration. Much more relaxing then triple LTD hotspots.

Ahh a fellow Mopar lover ;)
Nothing like the lost sound of the Hamtramck (sic) starter. First new car I owned was a Plymouth. Drove it into the ground. Slant-6's were tough.

We bought nothing but Chrysler products until about 1980. That was about the time Mom's new vehicle failed her three times in 34 miles.

We went to the Toyota dealer, and never went back to US vehicles (with the exception of my work van).

The Cobra 4 drives like a big, classic sedan from the Sixties, or, if you prefer, a small truck. Great for cruising the boulevard. Carries a lot.

Nothing like the lost sound of the Hamtramck (sic) starter. First new car I owned was a Plymouth. Drove it into the ground. Slant-6's were tough.

We bought nothing but Chrysler products until about 1980. That was about the time Mom's new vehicle failed her three times in 34 miles.

We went to the Toyota dealer, and never went back to US vehicles (with the exception of my work van).

The Cobra 4 drives like a big, classic sedan from the Sixties, or, if you prefer, a small truck. Great for cruising the boulevard. Carries a lot.
I would say that, mine reminds me of the old Ford Transit.

Top Bottom