Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
There are some 'legacy' tools that CIG are using which speak to the 'engine switch' strand, and have me intrigued...

Character Tool:

CIG are still using Character Tool. It's Cryengine software. Lumberyard doesn't use it, they use EmotionFX for characters.

(Hat tip to the Goons for this one)

Scaleform:

They were still using Scaleform for UI until very recently.

An Autodesk license (including Scaleform) was initially bundled with the Cryengine GLA. It is no longer publicly available. Lumberyard doesn't use Scaleform.

---

I'm not sure the Scaleform thing is quite as intriguing as the Character Tool use, as CIG could have just gone out and got a new Autodesk license prior to its withdrawal. (If that even matters, it's still just a third party tool ultimately).

But in total the above do suggest a kind of 'legacy' build still being in effect. One that possibly relies on various pre-Lumberyard aspects. Certainly I could imagine a court still seeing merit in poking around in these areas, if the case ever decides what the hell it's doing ;)

Last edited:
Obviously I am wrong but.... Why don't CIG just buy another licence, surely cheaper than a long drawn out court case. Does a game engine licence really cost that much,?
(I guess that is an advantage frontier have for using their own)

I don't think Crytek are in the mood to sell them another license right now ;)

The case has had a revenge vibe echoing around it for a while. (What with all the Cry staff CIG took on, and the GLA scribes who'd crossed the aisle. And, like, the whole court case...)

It would be a pretty hilarious outcome though ;). (Especially if Cry got a GLA with all the trimmings, IE royalties etc, having sold the first GLA for a comparative song when they were up against the wall).

And then they could get a pittance when SQ42 janks onto console, and go back to crypto ;)

(Dammit, I think I'm sliding down the schadenfreude hill.... 😕)

Obviously I am wrong but.... Why don't CIG just buy another licence, surely cheaper than a long drawn out court case. Does a game engine licence really cost that much,?
It's really depends...some of the engines these days are totally free even for the full commercial use the thing is that CIG singed agreement back in 2012 not today,maybe CIG can negotiate with the Crytek and pay for the new licence + some settlement if Crytek withdraw a lawsuit....but then again when Crytek asked CIG to pay for the new licence few years ago they just refused it and simply switched to the Lamberyard which basically left Crytek no choice then to sue them........

Last edited:
Not that many judging from experience although there are undoubtably some. Most backers got Sqn 42 attached to a game package since Ci¬G realised early on that more backers were purely interested in the PU with Sqn 42 being a "Meh, the Chris Roberts interactive movie was free with the package anyway." addition. Ci¬G have done their level best to promote Sqn 42 of course...since it's Chris Roberts magnum opus, but the general complaint for some time is that much needed PU devs and resources are increasingly being funnelled away from the PU that most backers continue to put their money up for and continues to suffer at the cost of Sqn 42's non development.

Up until I had a hangar reshuffle and got rid of a couple of the bigger ships and bought another game package comprising of 5 medium ships with the store credit, I had never added Sqn 42 at all, since it used to be an optional addition as well as a separate purchase at a bargain bin price on buying a ship package...ships which can only be used in the PU.

Sqn 42 was a compulsory addition included in the game package I traded the bigger ships for...and the only reason I have it now.
I have both with my pledge and am interested in both to a degree but S42 is more important to me (and in theory should be by far the easier game to make )

Because they don't want to licence from Crytek, they want to licence from Amazon. Also if they go back to Crytek, then Crytek could probably gouge them for a new licence.

Because they don't want to licence from Crytek, they want to licence from Amazon. Also if they go back to Crytek, then Crytek could probably gouge them for a new licence.
AHH ok then so it isn't that they are trying to use 1 licence to make 2 games, that makes sense then,.sorry I misunderstood.

I admit to not watching all the vids posted etc but I thought the issue was CIG only having a licence for 1 game and using it to make 2. Thanks for the clarification.

AHH ok then so it isn't that they are trying to use 1 licence to make 2 games, that makes sense then,.sorry I misunderstood.

I admit to not watching all the vids posted etc but I thought the issue was CIG only having a licence for 1 game and using it to make 2. Thanks for the clarification.
That was the initial complaint from Crytek and the whole reason behind the law suit...but it's gotten a whole 10 levels of incompetence, mismanagement and misdirection away from that now :D

Did you perhaps read the patch notes before you started playing...or asking in the gamechat if there were workarounds to any of your issues? It might have helped.

Do the patch notes on Star Citizen contain a list of known issues?

The chat, guides and bug reports that are out there were helpful in getting the game up and running. Without that I would've stopped much sooner.

I suppose rather fortunately that the issues I mentioned did not reoccur outside of my ship drifting to the right while flying.

Sadly, the chat was not able to help. I suspect that there is a hardware issue with my joystick and that Star Citizen is very sensitive to inputs. Adjusting the deadzone in game did not fix it. Disconnecting the joystick stopped the drift. Controlling with mouse and keyboard was fine, it is just not my preferred method of control for flight.

I will try my joystick's configuration tool to set up a deadzone or replace the joystick.

Do the patch notes on Star Citizen contain a list of known issues?

The chat, guides and bug reports that are out there were helpful in getting the game up and running. Without that I would've stopped much sooner.

I suppose rather fortunately that the issues I mentioned did not reoccur outside of my ship drifting to the right while flying.

Sadly, the chat was not able to help. I suspect that there is a hardware issue with my joystick and that Star Citizen is very sensitive to inputs. Adjusting the deadzone in game did not fix it. Disconnecting the joystick stopped the drift. Controlling with mouse and keyboard was fine, it is just not my preferred method of control for flight.

I will try my joystick's configuration tool to set up a deadzone or replace the joystick.

The patch notes contain a really curtailed set of knowns, but they're more like this month's Top 10 ;)

You might get some joy searching the issues council, where everyone does amateur QA ;). To get a picture of some of the bigger, long-term legacy bugs you could look at this latest regression bug thread maybe.

EDIT: There's also a broader FAQ style knowledge base here. But don't think it goes as fine-grained as joystick issues etc.

Last edited:
The patch notes contain a really curtailed set of knowns, but they're more like this month's Top 10 ;)

You might get some joy searching the issues council, where everyone does amateur QA ;). To get a picture of some of the bigger, long-term legacy bugs you could look at this latest regression bug thread maybe.

EDIT: There's also a broader FAQ style knowledge base here. But don't think it goes as fine-grained as joystick issues etc.

Thank you for the links. These will be helpful going forward.

The joystick issue is definitely my hardware. Looking at the joystick's output over time, I see semi-regular spikes in the Z-axis. Why I don't encounter the drift in other games is strange because these spikes continue regardless of what game I am playing or if I am out of game.

I will try the game again after I resolve the joystick. If I don't resolve it I will try mouse and keyboard for flight. That control scheme looks fine even if it not my preferred for flight.

Again thanks.

Chris Roberts can tell a story
Can he though? His history of sims and strategy games may be impressive, but they weren't really story-driven and his only film (the one he directed, I don't count the ones he contributed to as a producer, because he didn't have any creative reign over them) was beyond cheesy and terrible. :LOL:

Can he though? His history of sims and strategy games may be impressive, but they weren't really story-driven and his only film (the one he directed, I don't count the ones he contributed to as a producer, because he didn't have any creative reign over them) was beyond cheesy and terrible. :LOL:

It was a play on words. When I said Chris Roberts can tell a story I meant that he can lie

Thank you for the links. These will be helpful going forward.

The joystick issue is definitely my hardware. Looking at the joystick's output over time, I see semi-regular spikes in the Z-axis. Why I don't encounter the drift in other games is strange because these spikes continue regardless of what game I am playing or if I am out of game.

I will try the game again after I resolve the joystick. If I don't resolve it I will try mouse and keyboard for flight. That control scheme looks fine even if it not my preferred for flight.

Again thanks.
What stick do you use?

Sorry, but no, just no. After 7 or 8(?) years in development something has forfeit the right to be called "alpha". Unless it's a singleplayer game that is announced and then developed in the background founded and sponsert by private persons. I'm thinking Wizardry 8 here (the company behind this game went bankrupt after release btw). But not while creating an illusion that the game will soon be playable and then monetising this cloudy state over all that many years. That's just repeating CR's ridiculous advertising speech - in my standards that's nothing but a scam. But then I guess you just was sarcastic here...

That's pretty much what I meant and see you already agree with me.

That's what I'm meanwhile asking myself. It can't be only kids from rich people, for that's there are just too many supporters. But then the only other conclusion would be adults who somewhere stuck in their personal development. Not sure whether that's an insult or just the shocking reality now. At which point I usually mention my 63 years as an universal excuse for not understanding the world anymore. 🥴
...Adults who got somewhere stuck in their personal development...mkay :unsure:

...And don't pull the old persons card either...I've got one too... but then again, I may be too stuck somewhere in my own personal development to notice ;)

I could see them just adding SQ42 as a menu option in SC to void the lawsuit - SQ42 is supposed to come with Star Marine / Arena Commander anyway so would kinda make sense. It all seems bizarre to me when you have a project swimming in money and they come unstuck over buying 1 licence rather than 2.
It's pretty obvious they're not swimming in money. They might have been at one stage but they certainly aren't anymore. They ran out of it in 2018 and had to first take a loan and then Calder as an investor. The splitting of SQ42 was another desperate cash grab. All while having the "best" funding ever year after year btw.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom