Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Yeah, sooner or later I'll find myself in Sagittarius A :ROFLMAO:

Remember that in the game x-boxers get an "achievement" for reaching Sagittarius A* - not sure if the PSers get one for it. PC master-race doesn't have such a thing but there is always a place to record your visit:

Remember that in the game x-boxers get an "achievement" for reaching Sagittarius A* - not sure if the PSers get one for it. PC master-race doesn't have such a thing but there is always a place to record your visit:

Yeah, no achievements on Steam, it's a shame :cautious:

In the future I want to visit Betelgeuse and Sagittarius A , but it's waaay down the line ;)

Started up the game, mounted the headset, and found myself in the white Mamba, inside Meredith City. :unsure: Last time I went somewhere far away in the Mamba and on my way back home to Jameson, I decided to stop by at Meredith to trade some scans. Now I couldn't really remember which so I decided to go home and work on the Eagle. Slightly rusty, I almost bumped into a ship in the mists of the mail slot, while boosting my way out. Still the local female radio operator signed of with a flirty "Watch your six CMDR", to which I heard myself answer "Rest assured honey, I will". Once I came outside I did a few fast 180s just to get a feel for the handling. And ended up gazing at the view. You tend to forget how beautiful Meredith City can be, once everything there aligns in a certain way:

HighResScreenShot_2020-01-11_18-08-58 (2).jpg

So instead of trading scans I decided to use the vista as a beautiful backdrop for scanning some wakes. Then, once I started scanning, I remembered, that the decoded mats I needed was for the wake scanner, to make it more snappy. Back to the station to do the trading.

Landing was a little rough. Must be the Onion Heads. Now the operator was suddenly way more formal and less flirty, with her "Ground crew has been dispatched".

This game! (y)

Make sure you bring a DSS, and map any promising planet you encounter on the way (terrafromable, water world, earth like world) - it'll help paying for the fuel :) .

Ok, if you really want to make some money, go to https://www.spansh.co.uk/riches , enter your source (and destination) system and play around a bit with the settings. Mapping value of that trip from e.g. Lave to Maia can be something like 80 MCr.
I was afraid to look when i started this reply.' :)

Getting wanted because a wanted ship start shooting you and you return fire before scan completes... I know the other was wanted because it was a ship mission target and it had attacked me and narrowly escaped before. Very annoying to then get sent to detention without any warning (no, there was no warning, the authority contact warning just said "pay bounty" and then you were sent straight to the detention screen).

Getting wanted because a wanted ship start shooting you and you return fire before scan completes... I know the other was wanted because it was a ship mission target and it had attacked me and narrowly escaped before. Very annoying to then get sent to detention without any warning (no, there was no warning, the authority contact warning just said "pay bounty" and then you were sent straight to the detention screen).
Some of the technology in 3306 is still somewhat stupid. Like the SC assist, that can't be activated by a button (binding), but hey, at least we can travel faster than light, which is something. I read once, that a group of scientist at NASA had calculated, that to shoot an astronaut through a wormhole (head first, arms along body), you needed to spend energy equalling all of Jupiter's mass converted to energy, just to keep the wormhole open long enough for the astronaut to pass. That sounded pretty unpleasant, and you can only do that once, since Saturn isn't big enough. Here in 3306 we travel in a much more comfy way.

HighResScreenShot_2019-12-30_15-07-01 (2).jpg

(I still wonder what that Conda is doing on that screen)

Since making Combat master, the ego trip kicked in. So, finished engineering the power plant and distributor with experimentals. Took off to The Dweller and fitted overcharged beams, He said they would work great with the toxic yellow beam coloring...

Half way home I thought to do a weapons and power pips test at an out of they way system.
Just avoided a total meltdown, heat building to over 90%....but he said they would be good....
Turned around headed back to have a talk about getting my money back....The dweller had more guns than I did...

So, I politely agreed to settle back on efficient beams with a few experimentals added.
Now very happy with the turn and burn and boost all day long setting for this semi hardened Krait phantom build.

Tested back in the High REZ and even High Combat zones. Can take on most all npc's with a good long fight. Discovered a new npc in medium combat zone. Special ops combat Asps with multi colored beams. I poked them with the pointy bits on the phantom....they promptly fried my shields....um...run away tactic engaged...
Also saw a python with green colored shields, not blue as usual, what is that about? refrained from poking this time....

Attached a link to weapons and power test youtube and the build spec links...
Weapons testing youtubevid
Krait Phantom Denis coriolis.io
Krait Phantom Denis EDSY

Discovered a new npc in medium combat zone. Special ops combat Asps with multi colored beams. I poked them with the pointy bits on the phantom....they promptly fried my shields....um...run away tactic engaged...
Also saw a python with green colored shields, not blue as usual, what is that about? refrained from poking this time....
The Spec-Ops are a great addition to conflict zones.

Pro-tip: Pick them off in reverse order. At the very least, don't engage the alpha first; the whole wing will turn on you. Engage the alpha last, when you've taken out epsilon to beta. Don't worry about the phasing beam lasers - they don't do that much damage through your shields.

Personally, I go for as much sustained DPS as possible. For CZs and general bounty-hunting, I use frag cannons - high-capacity modded with corrosive (essential) on one of the smaller ones, drag munitions is also useful. The high damage output means that the Spec-ops ships don't get much time to fry you.

The green shields are prismatic shields, I think.

As for your build, I took the liberty of making a few changes. You're giving up a ton of damage with the turrets, but I left them as-is. You'll do about twice the damage with gimballed weapons though. I swapped the mirrored bulkheads for reactive, as hulls have lower resistances to kinetic weapons, something you exacerbate with the choice of reflective armour. You'll take less overall damage with reactive. I also changed the power priorities so that your shields will still recharge and rebuild if your power plant gets taken out - you lose 50% of your power output when that happens. If it happens when your current build has its weapons deployed, your whole ship could shut down, leaving you defenseless and drifting. With the priorities set in my example, your shielkds can go down and still rebuild even at 50% power output, and you can still run if you need to.

I'd engineer the ship like this.

Last edited:
Look closely and you’ll see it does say Hand Yourself In, in the text but not on the button. It’s easy to miss. You can avoid the detention by going to an Interstellar Factor and paying off your bounty there.

The Spec-Ops are a great addition to conflict zones.

Pro-tip: Pick them off in reverse order. At the very least, don't engage the alpha first; the whole wing will turn on you. Engage the alpha last, when you've taken out epsilon to beta. Don't worry about the phasing beam lasers - they don't do that much damage through your shields.

Personally, I go for as much sustained DPS as possible. For CZs and general bounty-hunting, I use frag cannons - high-capacity modded with corrosive (essential) on one of the smaller ones, drag munitions is also useful. The high damage output means that the Spec-ops ships don't get much time to fry you.

The green shields are prismatic shields, I think.

As for your build, I took the liberty of making a few changes. You're giving up a ton of damage with the turrets, but I left them as-is. You'll do about twice the damage with gimballed weapons though. I swapped the mirrored bulkheads for reactive, as hulls have lower resistances to kinetic weapons, something you exacerbate with the choice of reflective armour. You'll take less overall damage with reactive. I also changed the power priorities so that your shields will still recharge and rebuild if your power plant gets taken out - you lose 50% of your power output when that happens. If it happens when your current build has its weapons deployed, your whole ship could shut down, leaving you defenseless and drifting. With the priorities set in my example, your shielkds can go down and still rebuild even at 50% power output, and you can still run if you need to.

I'd engineer the ship like this.
Thanks for the info , will adjust the power priority settings.
I wanted to go with better thermal ratings so went to mirrored and reflective. Again will think this through, probably build an alternate phantom to test.
Trying not to have weapons that need mats, need to visit shards again, so flavors of beams...Thinking to change the burst for another long range pulse.

I'm having fun in combat now, can dimly remember the first interdiction wipe outs, and the continuous running away.
Now just this the x key with a wry grim on my face...mumbling...'Oh yeah you think so do you...'

Top Bottom