Recent Extinctions Expansion Pack Concept for Planet Zoo

Extinct animals are a fairly hot topic, you can usually find extreme passion or resentment for this subject matter. I believe a solid compromise would be to limit the extinct animals to the current Epoch,the Holocene. Not only is this recent enough to ensure all the additions mesh flawlessly with their extant contemporaries, but the Holocene in general is a pivotal time for humans (along with the following extinctions). If you're still disinterested in extinct animals, perhaps this thread is a suitable alternative.

With that out of the way, here's The Holocene Expansion:

Habitat Animals
  • Japanese River Otter (Lutra lutra whiteleyi)
  • Pyrenean Ibex (Capra pyrenaica pyrenaica)
  • Kouprey (Bos sauveli)
  • Toolache Wallaby (Macropus greyi)
  • Thylacine (Thylacinus cynocephalus)
  • Tarpan (Equus ferus ferus)
  • Warrah (Dusicyon australis)
  • Great Auk (Pinguinus impennis)
  • Bluebuck (Hippotragus leucophaeus)
  • Giant Elephant Bird (Aepyornis maximus)
  • Dodo (Raphus cucullatus)
  • Aurochs (Bos primigenius)
  • Giant Sloth Lemur (Archaeoindris fontoynontii)
  • Upland Moa (Megalapteryx didinus)
  • Large Kauai Goose (Chelychelynechen quassus)
  • New Caledonian Horned Turtle (Meiolania mackayi)
  • Malagasy Horned Crocodile (Voay robustus)
  • New Caledonian Giant Scrubfowl (Sylviornis neocaledoniae)
  • Woolly Mammoth (Mammuthus primigenius)
  • Irish Elk (Megaloceros giganteus)
  • American Giant Ground Sloth (Megatherium americanum)
  • Northern Sabre-Toothed Cat (Smilodon fatalis)
  • Woolly Rhinoceros (Coelodonta antiquitatis)
  • Cyprus Dwarf Elephant (Palaeoloxodon cypriotes)
  • Giant Short-Faced Bear (Arctodus simus)
Exhibit Animals
  • Saint Helena Earwig (Labidura herculeana)
  • Christmas Island Forest Skink (Emoia nativitatis)
  • Cocteau's Skink (Chioninia coctei)
  • Levuana Moth (Levuana irridescens)
  • Saint Croix Racer (Borikenophis sanctaecrucis)
  • Golden Toad (Incilius periglenes)
  • Northern Gastric-Brooding Frog (Rheobatrachus vitellinus)
  • Xerces Blue (Glaucopsyche xerces)
  • Rodrigues Giant Day Gecko (P/helsuma gigas)
  • Tonga Ground Skink (Tachygyia microlepis)
Foliage
  • St. Helena Olive
  • Hainan Ormosia
  • Mason River Myrtle
  • Hawaii Chaff Flower
  • Cry Pansy
  • Sting Tree
  • Avocado Tree
  • Dodo Tree
  • Sunflowers
  • Tulips
  • Graceful Pine
Building Themes
  • Paleolithic Theme (ex. boulders, cave paintings, stone-age tools)
  • Futuristic Theme (ex. holograms, laser displays, mock time machines)
Rides
  • Mine-cart Ride
  • Hover Pods
Enrichment
  • Bones (predators will gnaw on them, they wear down and must be replaced)
  • Stone cluster (primates and other mammals will play with the stones, some birds will use the stones as gastroliths)
  • Artificial bushes (herbivores will eat from them, count as food enrichment)
Other Decor
  • Rock fossils (ex. trilobites, eggs, footprints)
  • Mesozoic skeletons (ex. Tyrannosaurus, Plesiosaurus, Pteranodon)
  • Mesozoic dioramas (ex. K-T Extinction, meteorite samples, evolution of dinosaurs)
  • Neanderthal hairstyles
  • Neanderthal garments
  • Barefoot
  • Laboratory coat
  • Thickened glasses
  • Steel-toe boots
I decided to incorporate both past and present decor elements in the expansion since both would be involved with the return of these beautiful animals. The animals themselves are ordered from how recently they went extinct in descending order.

Is there anything I should add to this expansion concept? Let me know!

Last edited:
There are plenty of living animals to choose from before releasing a pack like this. However, the fact that most of them are recently extinct (and mainly by human actions) it could make sense and be semi-realistic if we assume that in the near future we'll be able to recover some of those species with the stored DNA scientists have + mixbreeding (just like it's happening with the aurochs right now).
But yeah, Aquatic DLC, Aviaries, Australia, The Poles, Amazonas and so on are much more likely.

I absolutely love it 😍

Hover Pods
Except this but this wouldn't be a reason for me to not buy it. I love extinct Animals too much to not buy a Expansion-Pack where it is possible to clone them.

I would really like it if the cloning of the Animals would be realistic (but if a Giant Ground Sloth should be in the Game it should be incubated in a artificial Uterus because I don't think it would be very successful and safe to use another Sloth as a surrogate Mother)
Is there anything I should add to this expansion concept? Let me know!
I would like a Passenger Pigeon and because I want realistic Cloning I would like the Animals that are needed as Surrogate Mothers in the Expansion-Pack or a free Update

Last edited:
Enrichment
  • Bones (predators will gnaw on them, they wear down and must be replaced)
  • Stone cluster (primates and other mammals will play with the stones, some birds will use the stones as gastroliths)
  • Artificial bushes (herbivores will eat from them, count as food enrichment)
Bones could be used for giraffes too. Some zoos give them cow bones to chew on as it works as not just a toy but also a calcium and vitamin supplement.

I would like the Quagga on here too :(
I had decided against the quagga due to the in-game plains zebra already being the species that the quagga is a subspecies of. However, equine have a prominent evolutionary legacy (as well as being one of humanity's first draft animals), so I decided to include the tarpan to acknowledge that.

I'd love to see some of the more 'recently' (1800 and up) extinct animals that got extinct like the quagga, thylacine, tarpan, and Christmas Island forest skink. I was a huge fan of the Dinosaur Digs expansion of Zoo Tycoon 1 too so it's not that I wouldn't completely want extinct animals, but i'd rather have them focus on recently extinct ones unlike things like the Sabretoothed Cat or the Wooly Rhino.

I'd also love a pack with a focus on Critically Endangered species only, species were only a few are still alive on earth; Axolotl, Addax, Bavarian pine vole, Dama gazelle, Hirola, Mexican agouti, Père David's deer, etc.

I'd also love an exhibit with crabs in it, where the rising tide is simulated. Or horshoe crabs!

I'd love to see some of the more 'recently' (1800 and up) extinct animals that got extinct like the quagga, thylacine, tarpan, and Christmas Island forest skink. I was a huge fan of the Dinosaur Digs expansion of Zoo Tycoon 1 too so it's not that I wouldn't completely want extinct animals, but i'd rather have them focus on recently extinct ones unlike things lik
Recently extinct Animals would be great. I think they could also include the Woolly Mammoth because it's being worked on in Real Life to clone them someday.

also love a pack with a focus on Critically Endangered species only, species were only a few are still alive on earth; Axolotl, Addax, Bavarian pine vole, Dama gazelle, Hirola, Mexican agouti, Père David's deer, etc.
Some of them would be really nice to have in the Game. Especially Père David's Deer.
A Extinct in the Wild DLC would also be absolutely awesome.

I'd also love an exhibit with crabs in it, where the rising tide is simulated. Or horshoe crabs!
We really need some kind of Crab😍🦀
Also even if we shouldn't get any Fish for normal Habitats, it would still be great to get some Exhibit Fish🐟🐠

For some Reason while cleaning a Horse Stable I got the Thought that they if it would be a big DLC, could include at least one lesser known Species. For Example Schomburgk's deer

They just released the colorized enhanced video from 1938 of the Tasmanian Tiger today, as part of "Extinct Animals Memorial Day" in Australia.
Is it correct they have such a day?.

If we talk about recently extinct, this would be my no. 1 pick. What a interesting creature in terms of body form and colours.
Im still part of the "rather not" side when it comes to extinct animals in PZ though.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gt0X-27GXM

Last edited:
I wouldn't want extinct animals in planet zoo, recent or not. Extinct in the wild / Critically endangered however would be great
What about extinct species that they have resurrected/ that we have the capability to? For instance, the Pyrenean Ibex was cloned, three years after it's extinction (extinction 2000, cloned in 2003). Cloning technology and methods have come so far since then that it is currently thought that a current cloning attempt would be successful today. However, current ethical dogma is against letting cloned embryos come to term, and since the total preserved genetic material consists of a single female, there is a lot of debate over whether or not they should ever re-attempt it.

Top Bottom