Recent Extinctions Expansion Pack Concept for Planet Zoo

As you mentioned here

I think if they (Planet Zoo) ever do something involving extinct animals, it should be for animals that have the efforts to bringing them back IRL already, they're recently extinct and (this is pretty important here) animals whose niches have not changed so much and the ecosystem could actually benefit having these animals brought back. The Thylacine is one I could totally see them adding considering recent real world efforts to bring them back, and hearing that their ecosystem could actually benefit from them in Tasmania right now since their niche is empty. Considering they also recently announced having sequenced the whole Dodo DNA, that's another one I could realistically see being brought back. Although for the Dodo I'm not entirely sure my argument for their ecosystem/niche would fit for them.
For the Dodo there's a tree that's currently on it's way to extinction because it's seeds will only germinate if they are passed through the gut of a Dodo.
So bringing back the Dodo would have a purpose. To save the tree that relied on them for it's life cycle.

That hypothesis is rather flawed, since the author didn't use a control variable where seeds germinated without being passed through a turkey. Other authors suspect that the Mauritius' tortoises, bats, and parrots could've been equally capable seed dispersers.

That said, dodos still have a niche in their island ecosystem as medium-sized foragers, so there'd still be value to their resurrection.

Extinct animals are a fairly hot topic, you can usually find extreme passion or resentment for this subject matter. I believe a solid compromise would be to limit the extinct animals to the current Epoch,the Holocene. Not only is this recent enough to ensure all the additions mesh flawlessly with their extant contemporaries, but the Holocene in general is a pivotal time for humans (along with the following extinctions). If you're still disinterested in extinct animals, perhaps this thread is a suitable alternative.

With that out of the way, here's The Holocene Expansion:

Habitat Animals
  • Japanese River Otter (Lutra lutra whiteleyi)
  • Pyrenean Ibex (Capra pyrenaica pyrenaica)
  • Kouprey (Bos sauveli)
  • Toolache Wallaby (Macropus greyi)
  • Thylacine (Thylacinus cynocephalus)
  • Tarpan (Equus ferus ferus)
  • Warrah (Dusicyon australis)
  • Great Auk (Pinguinus impennis)
  • Bluebuck (Hippotragus leucophaeus)
  • Giant Elephant Bird (Aepyornis maximus)
  • Dodo (Raphus cucullatus)
  • Aurochs (Bos primigenius)
  • Giant Sloth Lemur (Archaeoindris fontoynontii)
  • Upland Moa (Megalapteryx didinus)
  • Large Kauai Goose (Chelychelynechen quassus)
  • New Caledonian Horned Turtle (Meiolania mackayi)
  • Malagasy Horned Crocodile (Voay robustus)
  • New Caledonian Giant Scrubfowl (Sylviornis neocaledoniae)
  • Woolly Mammoth (Mammuthus primigenius)
  • Irish Elk (Megaloceros giganteus)
  • American Giant Ground Sloth (Megatherium americanum)
  • Northern Sabre-Toothed Cat (Smilodon fatalis)
  • Woolly Rhinoceros (Coelodonta antiquitatis)
  • Cyprus Dwarf Elephant (Palaeoloxodon cypriotes)
  • Giant Short-Faced Bear (Arctodus simus)
Exhibit Animals
  • Saint Helena Earwig (Labidura herculeana)
  • Christmas Island Forest Skink (Emoia nativitatis)
  • Cocteau's Skink (Chioninia coctei)
  • Levuana Moth (Levuana irridescens)
  • Saint Croix Racer (Borikenophis sanctaecrucis)
  • Golden Toad (Incilius periglenes)
  • Northern Gastric-Brooding Frog (Rheobatrachus vitellinus)
  • Xerces Blue (Glaucopsyche xerces)
  • Rodrigues Giant Day Gecko (P/helsuma gigas)
  • Tonga Ground Skink (Tachygyia microlepis)
Foliage
  • St. Helena Olive
  • Hainan Ormosia
  • Mason River Myrtle
  • Hawaii Chaff Flower
  • Cry Pansy
  • Sting Tree
  • Avocado Tree
  • Dodo Tree
  • Sunflowers
  • Tulips
  • Graceful Pine
Building Themes
  • Paleolithic Theme (ex. boulders, cave paintings, stone-age tools)
  • Futuristic Theme (ex. holograms, laser displays, mock time machines)
Rides
  • Mine-cart Ride
  • Hover Pods
Enrichment
  • Bones (predators will gnaw on them, they wear down and must be replaced)
  • Stone cluster (primates and other mammals will play with the stones, some birds will use the stones as gastroliths)
  • Artificial bushes (herbivores will eat from them, count as food enrichment)
Other Decor
  • Rock fossils (ex. trilobites, eggs, footprints)
  • Mesozoic skeletons (ex. Tyrannosaurus, Plesiosaurus, Pteranodon)
  • Mesozoic dioramas (ex. K-T Extinction, meteorite samples, evolution of dinosaurs)
  • Neanderthal hairstyles
  • Neanderthal garments
  • Barefoot
  • Laboratory coat
  • Thickened glasses
  • Steel-toe boots
I decided to incorporate both past and present decor elements in the expansion since both would be involved with the return of these beautiful animals. The animals themselves are ordered from how recently they went extinct in descending order.

Is there anything I should add to this expansion concept? Let me know!
please, no dinosaurs.. there is a frontier game already on those

Yeah, something with the last century or two...most of which are animals that people know of. The Dodo, Thylacine, Quaggah, Baiji, Passenger Pigeon, and similar are ones that would work rather well for a conservation message.

Yeah, something with the last century or two...most of which are animals that people know of. The Dodo, Thylacine, Quaggah, Baiji, Passenger Pigeon, and similar are ones that would work rather well for a conservation message.
Honestly I think the best conservation message is saving what we have rather than going into a fantasy world of extinct animals. I wouldn’t be opposed to statues or replicas though.

Recently Extinct Pack? Hmm...
  • Tasmanian Tiger
  • Quagga
  • Dodo
  • Great Auk
  • Saint Helena Giant Earwig

Honestly I think the best conservation message is saving what we have rather than going into a fantasy world of extinct animals. I wouldn’t be opposed to statues or replicas though.
Yeah, because this game is so realistic and on point with the conservation thing... what with keeping animals that barely work in captivity, inbreeding them to hell and back, then mindlessly tossing them into the wild for "adoption dollars" or whatever that currency is called... yep, turning the complexity of conservation into a simple get rich quick scheme is such a great message! Ugh... really, the whole "conservation message" argument is ...

Recently Extinct Pack? Hmm...
  • Tasmanian Tiger
  • Quagga
  • Dodo
  • Great Auk
  • Saint Helena Giant Earwig

Yeah, because this game is so realistic and on point with the conservation thing... what with keeping animals that barely work in captivity, inbreeding them to hell and back, then mindlessly tossing them into the wild for "adoption dollars" or whatever that currency is called... yep, turning the complexity of conservation into a simple get rich quick scheme is such a great message! Ugh... really, the whole "conservation message" argument is ...

My more pressing argument is that given the limited number of DLCs we will get I don't want content wasted on fantasy stuff that has nothing to do with the game.

I might be very late to the party, I didn't notice this thread before!

I wanted to share that I actually have a zoo where I was preparing some kind of "window to the past" kind of habitat.
It's still unfinished so I had only two species there and it was before eurasian pack was added to the game.

It's called "Prehistoric Cave" and basicly people go inside the cave where is a fireplace with fake cavemen spears and such to fake a cavemen shelter (it was hard since we don't have any fur or antlers props) and there is a hole where people can look into distance where is a herd of przewalski horse and american bison. When I buy the eurasian pack I will add wisent too. In further distance there was caribou (pronghorn?) and wolves planned, maybe a seal on the glacier part...
Then I was rethinking of making it also like safari for people to see it as one big plains and such...
Long story short, I tried to make some fenceless "ice age" like view (in Franchise mode so I had to be careful about foliage and animal needs).
It's still in big WIP.

Entrance:
20230704195805_1.jpg
20230704212802_1.jpg

Cave view:
20231014193921_1.jpg
20231014193132_1.jpg
photo_2023-07-04_23-02-46.jpg
The experiment with fire and spears :D
Habitat:
20231014193931_1.jpg

20231014194442_1.jpg
20230705022456_1.jpg

20231014193943_1.jpg
20230705021639_1.jpg

Extinct animals are a fairly hot topic, you can usually find extreme passion or resentment for this subject matter. I believe a solid compromise would be to limit the extinct animals to the current Epoch,the Holocene. Not only is this recent enough to ensure all the additions mesh flawlessly with their extant contemporaries, but the Holocene in general is a pivotal time for humans (along with the following extinctions). If you're still disinterested in extinct animals, perhaps this thread is a suitable alternative.

With that out of the way, here's The Holocene Expansion:

Habitat Animals
  • Japanese River Otter (Lutra lutra whiteleyi)
  • Pyrenean Ibex (Capra pyrenaica pyrenaica)
  • Kouprey (Bos sauveli)
  • Toolache Wallaby (Macropus greyi)
  • Thylacine (Thylacinus cynocephalus)
  • Tarpan (Equus ferus ferus)
  • Warrah (Dusicyon australis)
  • Great Auk (Pinguinus impennis)
  • Bluebuck (Hippotragus leucophaeus)
  • Giant Elephant Bird (Aepyornis maximus)
  • Dodo (Raphus cucullatus)
  • Aurochs (Bos primigenius)
  • Giant Sloth Lemur (Archaeoindris fontoynontii)
  • Upland Moa (Megalapteryx didinus)
  • Large Kauai Goose (Chelychelynechen quassus)
  • New Caledonian Horned Turtle (Meiolania mackayi)
  • Malagasy Horned Crocodile (Voay robustus)
  • New Caledonian Giant Scrubfowl (Sylviornis neocaledoniae)
  • Woolly Mammoth (Mammuthus primigenius)
  • Irish Elk (Megaloceros giganteus)
  • American Giant Ground Sloth (Megatherium americanum)
  • Northern Sabre-Toothed Cat (Smilodon fatalis)
  • Woolly Rhinoceros (Coelodonta antiquitatis)
  • Cyprus Dwarf Elephant (Palaeoloxodon cypriotes)
  • Giant Short-Faced Bear (Arctodus simus)
Exhibit Animals
  • Saint Helena Earwig (Labidura herculeana)
  • Christmas Island Forest Skink (Emoia nativitatis)
  • Cocteau's Skink (Chioninia coctei)
  • Levuana Moth (Levuana irridescens)
  • Saint Croix Racer (Borikenophis sanctaecrucis)
  • Golden Toad (Incilius periglenes)
  • Northern Gastric-Brooding Frog (Rheobatrachus vitellinus)
  • Xerces Blue (Glaucopsyche xerces)
  • Rodrigues Giant Day Gecko (P/helsuma gigas)
  • Tonga Ground Skink (Tachygyia microlepis)
Foliage
  • St. Helena Olive
  • Hainan Ormosia
  • Mason River Myrtle
  • Hawaii Chaff Flower
  • Cry Pansy
  • Sting Tree
  • Avocado Tree
  • Dodo Tree
  • Sunflowers
  • Tulips
  • Graceful Pine
Building Themes
  • Paleolithic Theme (ex. boulders, cave paintings, stone-age tools)
  • Futuristic Theme (ex. holograms, laser displays, mock time machines)
Rides
  • Mine-cart Ride
  • Hover Pods
Enrichment
  • Bones (predators will gnaw on them, they wear down and must be replaced)
  • Stone cluster (primates and other mammals will play with the stones, some birds will use the stones as gastroliths)
  • Artificial bushes (herbivores will eat from them, count as food enrichment)
Other Decor
  • Rock fossils (ex. trilobites, eggs, footprints)
  • Mesozoic skeletons (ex. Tyrannosaurus, Plesiosaurus, Pteranodon)
  • Mesozoic dioramas (ex. K-T Extinction, meteorite samples, evolution of dinosaurs)
  • Neanderthal hairstyles
  • Neanderthal garments
  • Barefoot
  • Laboratory coat
  • Thickened glasses
  • Steel-toe boots
I decided to incorporate both past and present decor elements in the expansion since both would be involved with the return of these beautiful animals. The animals themselves are ordered from how recently they went extinct in descending order.

Is there anything I should add to this expansion concept? Let me know!
Koyprey wasn't extinct yet, was it?

Funniest part of this thread is fact when Colosall will finally drop thylacine Frontier will be the first one waiting on line to cash on it and other extcint animals 🤣. It is question when, not if for such pack to drop.

Being so paleolithic theme would be banger with 7 animals and no exhibit similar to barnyard pack. Im not seeing reallllly worthy addition for our boxes.

Funniest part of this thread is fact when Colosall will finally drop thylacine Frontier will be the first one waiting on line to cash on it and other extcint animals 🤣. It is question when, not if for such pack to drop.

Being so paleolithic theme would be banger with 7 animals and no exhibit similar to barnyard pack. Im not seeing reallllly worthy addition for our boxes.
The funniest part is someone believing we will get extinct animals in PZ despite JWE new expansion being right around the corner, lol.

TBF there is still chance for a twist with megalodon.
Sounds unlikelly tbh, unless they really want to do two laggon pack or another random-stuff pack, cenozoic sounds the more likelly as they could kill two rabbits with one hit by adding all cc species + something actually unique compared to sauropode number 8 or bigger edmontosaurus.

Sounds unlikelly tbh, unless they really want to do two laggon pack or another random-stuff pack, cenozoic sounds the more likelly as they could kill two rabbits with one hit by adding all cc species + something actually unique compared to sauropode number 8 or bigger edmontosaurus.
I personally expect random 💩.
After thinking a bit Cenozoic Pack sounds a little to ambitious for our Company. So much new animations required for one pack? Even taking into account possiblity of borrowing few animations from PZ there is still need for many new ones especially interactions between mammals and dinosaurs. This wouldn't be company I know lol.

Top Bottom