Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
She chased me out with a broom after I burned my fingers stealing shortbread from the baking tray...felt like I was 10 years old all over again :D
We’re still waiting for that recipe you know :) although it’s probably also the ingredients, mmm fresh butter!
On topic:
We’re still waiting.

We’re still waiting for that recipe you know :) although it’s probably also the ingredients, mmm fresh butter!
On topic:
We’re still waiting.

My wife's recipe... ;)

• 350g plain flour (don't use self raising or it ends up a foot thick)
  • 125g caster sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • Pinch of semolina powder or finely ground rice (optional)
  • 250g salted or unsalted butter depending on personal taste (we use salted home made butter)
  • Caster sugar, for dusting
  • 2 x 23cm round sandwich tins, buttered and base-lined with greaseproof paper...teflon non stick baking tins will do as well, but still need buttered.

• Preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3. Put the flour, sugar and salt into a bowl. Cut the butter into pieces and add to the bowl. Work the mixture with your fingers until it forms a ball (don't beat the mixture or use a food mixer). The mixing may take a while.
  • Divide the mixture into 2 and put a portion into each tin, pressing it into an even layer.
  • Use the handle end of a fork to flute around the edges of the tins, then use the prongs to make wee holes over the surface.
  • Place the tins in the centre of the oven and bake for about 30-40 mins, or until the mixture is a pale golden colour.
  • Remove the shortbread from the tins and cut into triangles, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool. Dust with caster sugar....and done. (Not suitable for freezing..not an issue in this house since it's eaten long before it'll ever need storing).

Last edited:
3.8.2 ptu was pretty stable, at least the server I was in. Several hours with no 30k.

Get 15 million aUEC in this one, which is also nice.

All the murderships fully equipped and looking forward to testing the survivability of the newest $500 ship once it hits the ptu.

I see... so this "achievement" of CIG is them basically saying they are still going to wipe, just less often?
This is their description:
We have added an early version of long term persistence to allow player purchases and UEC balance to persist between database wipes. For now, we will persist FPS item purchases, ship component purchases, ship purchases, and UEC earnings.

We have added an early version of long term persistence to allow player purchases and UEC balance to persist between database wipes. For now, we will persist FPS item purchases, ship component purchases, ship purchases, and UEC earnings.

Why is this talking them so long? Other games do this as though it is nothing, just a basic feature and yet CIG make this multi-year song and dance about it as though it's the hardest thing they have worked on yet.

Why is this talking them so long? Other games do this as though it is nothing, just a basic feature and yet CIG make this multi-year song and dance about it as though it's the hardest thing they have worked on yet.
They are saving part of the application's state to (what I assume is) a relational database. It's groundbreaking innovation.

Depends what you mean by 'so long' ;) Last week: no persistence. This week: Some persistence. A week isn't sooo long.

As you say, persistence is pretty basic - but it could be argued that dev time was better spent on other more innovative things. And certainly not having persistence means they don't end up having legacy modules etc - migrating everything forward as you change stuff can really slow projects down*, especially when you get it wrong - think how many 'all my credits/modules/ships just vanished' posts they avoided by resetting every few months :D

OTOH I would also argue that doors and floors not killing you is also pretty basic, and they didn't implement that feature yet, so maybe they just don't know what they are doing 😝

Edit: * Of course the opposite side of this is that by not having persistence they haven't been working out any bugs with persistence, so they will just have to do that now.

Last edited:
You can't help but brag when you get to finish to eat a yoghurt with a fork.

CIG in a nutshell:

Last edited:
I take it there will still be a full wipe before eventual release?

once they get to the gamma stage (ED eqivalent) that means any stuff earned and rep gained will carry into release. that will be my green light to properly start playing. until then i dont want to burn out.

Umm.. so those things didn't persist between wipes before? Because i thought they did.
Nothing did persist, you had to re-create your character, and UEC etc. were completely reset.

I take it there will still be a full wipe before eventual release?
That goes without saying ...

once they get to the gamma stage (ED eqivalent) that means any stuff earned and rep gained will carry into release. that will be my green light to properly start playing. until then i dont want to burn out.
Depends, on some games they do wipe completely just before the release, and then some of them do give a 1 or 2 day head start to backers / beta testers.

Nope...everything earned in the PU went with a wipe previously...bits of armour, ship upgrades...aUEC earned.

Yeah, so as i just replied to Surefoot, all they have done is simply stop wiping some data on wipes.

Never been done before! (sorry, couldn't resist)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom