Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
An unusually flat re-entry capsule creating a plasma shockwave is still leagues more realistic than the “bits will fall off, then it explodes” that would (but doesn't) happen if any of the SC vehicles travelled fast enough (which they don't) to create re-entry effects (which they do anyway, somehow) because CI¬G chose to make every single component as wrong as possible. :p
I'm not going to argue about realism, especially not concerned with Star Citizen...I only mentioned it was cool when it was there and that I liked it :D

Ci¬G removed it for the reasons Stuart mentioned...the implementation was a bit naff. I've heard though that the old re-entry effect still happens if you manage to go fast enough in an appropriate ship..I don't have anything that fast to test it.

Last edited:
Two fan made videos of different games...only one of them isn't completely fictional :D

Both have good music though...

Some Star Citizen imaginarium nonsense from a no-name fanboi ...

And my favourite Elite fan made video of all time by one of the great explorers in E-D, Crusina Luachra ...created in total on the Xbox version of Elite quite a few years ago.

Last edited:
…that's an awful lot of close binaries bajillionaries. I'm getting nasty warp-in explosion flashbacks now, thanks to you! 😩
Watching Crusina's finding home vid still makes me want to go strap on an Anaconda and head out there again...hang on...that statement doesn't look right at all :oops:

vUvAPVY.jpg

Last edited:
Strange you posted an artists rendition of what looks like a flying saucer and then point to realism though :D

because there aren't real ones, for obvious reasons. But that image is a NASA artistic representation of a probe (is the heat disk of a mars probe not a flying saucer) reentry on mars and they try always to be the most realistic possible based on physical computer simulations.

the ship would be surrounded by a luminous plasma rather than some fancy flames shown in SC. It would be more like in the artistic images released by space-X.
But all this talking is usless since the reentry heat effect take place only for the craft that reenter at hypersonic speed since they have no engine to slow and use the atmosphere to brake. SC ships use engine and move very slow on the reentry so there wouldn't be any reentry effect at all.

because there aren't real ones, for obvious reasons. But that image is a NASA artistic representation of a probe (is the heat disk of a mars probe not a flying saucer) reentry on mars and they try always to be the most realistic possible based on physical computer simulations.

the ship would be surrounded by a luminous plasma rather than some fancy flames shown in SC. It would be more like in the artistic images released by space-X.
But all this talking is usless since the reentry heat effect take place only for the craft that reenter at hypersonic speed since they have no engine to slow and use the atmosphere to brake. SC ships use engine and move very slow on the reentry so there wouldn't be any reentry effect at all.
I get the realism thing...but playing Star Citizen is more like..

RCCEkxa.gif

Last edited:
Ah yes - last time we were in Braemar we got seemingly hours of purples. Then there’s that special bit at dusk where the whole sky goes lavender and the little white berries on the trees seem to actually glow. Quite something really.

Now I’m sure CI-G will at some point work on such things for their screenshot simulator :)

...Some Star Citizen imaginarium nonsense from a no-name fanboi ...

I confess I chuckled at the 'IMAGINE' line, and then winced at the repeated use of 'UNIVERSE'. Remind me, how many star systems are 'planned' for 'release' in the SC 'universe' - I recall CR indicating maybe as many as 5. Maybe.

Well, I guess that's okay as long as no-one has been sold exploration ships......

Taken with my phone as I went out to feed the cows at 0800 this morning...sometimes, I really like living here...those are real colours, not photoshopped :)
Ok, genuine stupid question here. Are the cows as hardy in a cold Scottish winter as sheep? I'd guess not, do the cows need shelter during winter?

Obviously I should know this, but realise I don't lol.

I live overlooking some fields in East Ayrshire, only lived here for 6 months. Grass was being cut and rolled into bales when I moved in, then cows grazed the fields for a few months, and now in winter it's sheep, no sign of the cows.

Did occur to me the reason might be the cows ended up in the supermarket. Pretty sure they weren't black/brown & white patches as I'd expect to see for dairy cattle in Ayrshire.

Ok, genuine stupid question here. Are the cows as hardy in a cold Scottish winter as sheep? I'd guess not, do the cows need shelter during winter?

Obviously I should know this, but realise I don't lol.

I live overlooking some fields in East Ayrshire, only lived here for 6 months. Grass was being cut and rolled into bales when I moved in, then cows grazed the fields for a few months, and now in winter it's sheep, no sign of the cows.

Did occur to me the reason might be the cows ended up in the supermarket. Pretty sure they weren't black/brown & white patches as I'd expect to see for dairy cattle in Ayrshire.
Most of my cows are inside in this weather... serves 2 purposes...the cows don't get cold and neither do I when I go feed them :D You can normally spot dairy herds since they're predominantly Holstein-Friesian (black and white cows) which make up around 90% of the UK's dairy stock. I have a mix of Herefords and shorthorns (brownish cows) which are breeding and beef stock. I only have 2 dairy cows...which are a Hereford-Jersey cross for my own milk... plus 8 hens, 4 ducks and 2 geese roaming around the place for the eggs.

Bringing in silage...which is what you saw when you moved in is winter feed, the grass in the fields has little nutritional value during most of winter...plus the pastures get a chance to recover and be rotated. They have hay and supplements like cattle cake and rough mix too but the silage is the bulk of winter feeding.

If you have sheep, you can fire them out into winter pasture since sheep can graze shorter, poorer grass than cattle can....hence why you see sheep in the fields around you during winter. They'll probably be there until end of March/beginning of April and lambing season before the sheep go back to the hills...then the cows will reappear once the grass gets a late spring burst of growth....or the field will be ploughed for barley, wheat, potatoes, turnips or some other cash crop like oilseed r.a.p.e (really with the net nanny?)... depending on if the farm is mixed arable or not...or could even be left fallow for a year during rotation cycles.

You'll have to hope he doesn't use the field nearest to you when he separates the cows from the calves if it's a dairy herd...gets kinda noisy :D

Last edited:
Ouch... those views.

Well, in defence of CiG (did I just write that... ...someone slap me!) it is only mid February, so the 2020 numbers are pointless.

Nonetheless, the decline 2016-2019 does look precipitous.

Actually - when you drill down, the views per video are more even:

Year​
Views​
Videos​
Views per Vid​
12​
1651254​
12​
137,604.50​
13​
6958082​
118​
58,966.80​
14​
16711072​
187​
89,364.02​
15​
13210910​
234​
56,456.88​
16​
20222832​
235​
86,054.60​
17​
16716326​
230​
72,679.68​
18​
11689433​
208​
56,199.20​
19​
7853503​
132​
59,496.23​
Another aspect to the videos that always bugs me is the diversion of resources and focus to get them done, and every time they put out a new video I mutter 'just get on with making the damn game already' under my breath. I'm sure it's not actually a huge overhead, but it just irritates me.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom