Game Discussions Microsoft Flight Simulator

Well there goes the weekend ....
flight_accept.jpg

Out of curiosity, do you have 16GB or 32GB of RAM?
32GB.
Sorry, it really seems they are targeting higher end, right now.
That being said, the game itself doesn't seem that demanding. My resources say 6-10GB RAM used, 60% CPU and GPU is maxed out, of course.
As for the bandwidth, it seems to be around 0.5-1MB/s downstream for the real-time streamed world and the offline mode eats up a couple KB/s (similar to Elite). They say that this is for telemetry purposes and the offline mode in the full version won't need an internet connection at all, but well... We've heard that before, haven't we... :LOL:

The game does look like in the trailers, btw. The graphics are fantastic. With a couple of caveats, of course, some of which are the usual Alpha stuff, but some of them I'm afraid are a result of the Azure and I hope she'll learn over time. I've been to a couple of places I know. I guess it is the defficiencies of the Bing maps, but the cities (while looking really nice) don't always look like they do IRL. For example the buildings are there, but they look different. But that's a minor thing.
The bigger problem I see are the roads and to certain extent the taxiways, especially on smaller airports. They are populated by vegetation. But like I said. I hope Azure will learn the difference between a taxiway and a meadow over time. I hope. :D

But overall, I'm impressed. And the aircraft handling and physics feels great. Landing with a crosswind is a real challenge (probably in part because I haven't bothered pulling out the yoke and pedals, yet and I'm playing on HOTAS I have always ready for Elite, and handling a rudder with a twist stick isn't exactly precise) and a wind shear can REALLY ruin your day on final. The stall mechanics feels great and you quickly learn to hate it, on turboprops in particular.

Last edited:
Yep, the invites have certainly targeted the higher end, but I've heard from a few people who got in with 32GB who reduced their PC's to 16GB just to see how the sim ran with it and none of them had any issue flying with 16GBs of RAM. In fact they said it didn't seem to make any real difference, so I'm not sure why Microsoft is excluding the majority of systems.

Yep, the invites have certainly targeted the higher end, but I've heard from a few people who got in with 32GB who reduced their PC's to 16GB just to see how the sim ran with it and none of them had any issue flying with 16GBs of RAM. In fact they said it didn't seem to make any real difference, so I'm not sure why Microsoft is excluding the majority of systems.
I wouldn't say excluding. I think they are simply playing it safe, because it's Alpha and they want the testing (whatever it is they are testing right now) as smooth as possible.

Like I said earlier, the game eats up about 10GB of RAM. That is fine on a clean system, but under normal circumstances it's not uncommon for Windows and a couple of other programs in the background to use 5+GB RAM (And if you have Chrome, then double that number. :LOL:) so that's awfully close to full utility and potential problems which they may not be prepared to deal with.
(read - there is no support to speak of. "You were invited? Good, welcome. You can't play? Oh that's a shame, sorry")

Ehh, this is more long-winded than I planned. I am fairly certain the game will run perfectly fine on 16GB and with slow internet. But right now, I think they are testing Azure, surface, building and vegetation generation and physics of small prop aircraft and they need people to have as few problems with running the game itself as possible.

Or maybe who knows. In any case, the game is (IMHO, from what I've seen today) at least a year from finished and I bet they will be inviting more and more people as they are finishing the system itself and the optimization and hardware becomes the main focus - then they will need as many people as possible with broadest hardware "diversity" possible.

If I have time during the week, I have plans for testing all sorts of hardware.
Right now, I've got i5-4460, R5 1500X, R5 3600 and R7 3700X processors as well as GTX-1060, RX-580, Vega 56, RX5700XT and RTX 2080Ti at home.
And naturally a whole bouquet of different RAM sticks and other accessories.
(Basically I've built four gaming rigs in last seven years or so and I've kept all the hardware. :LOL:)

If I'm not too busy, I'm planning to try it all and although I should probably shut up about the game itself (their NDA scares me a little), I think I can report on how THIS experiment goes.

If I have time during the week, I have plans for testing all sorts of hardware.
Right now, I've got i5-4460, R5 1500X, R5 3600 and R7 3700X processors as well as GTX-1060, RX-580, Vega 56, RX5700XT and RTX 2080Ti at home.
And naturally a whole bouquet of different RAM sticks and other accessories.
(Basically I've built four gaming rigs in last seven years or so and I've kept all the hardware. :LOL:)

If I'm not too busy, I'm planning to try it all and although I should probably shut up about the game itself (their NDA scares me a little), I think I can report on how THIS experiment goes.
The NDA is rather full on. The earlier linked vids have already been taken down. Everything is watermarked so easy to track back, I wonder if they had an account just for FS2020, they wouldnt use their main account would they ?!?

The NDA is rather full on. The earlier linked vids have already been taken down. Everything is watermarked so easy to track back, I wonder if they had an account just for FS2020, they wouldnt use their main account would they ?!?
Yeah, but who buys Windows on a throwaway account just because of a game? :D

I'm fine with waiting until it releases. No problem with waiting at all - a lot of cases in the past taught me this. I'm too old for any kind of hype trains - sometimes I want to jump in, but I just watch young ones do that for me instead.

Besides I don't like unfinished software - and this sim will be unfinished when it releases as well. There's no way the project of this size will be 'ready' when it's 1.0. However, we'll see a bunch of 'honest' vids on youtube by then, will know everything about costs, will know all the planes they'll gonna include for release, etc.

I'm particularly heartened to hear that the downstream bandwidth requirements sound pretty minimal, and that it's going to be available as a stand alone purchase.

Top Bottom