Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

The most recent one you played is always the top one. So if you have three, and want to know which is which, you have to select the 3rd one three times. Other than that, it's just the time played. But I often get to about 30 hrs per save then get distracted & want to start again. So several of my saves are all the same length. :ROFLMAO:
Exactly. Yeah, the most recent is on the top, but then I play one of the old ones, and tomorrow that's on top and I forget and start it, only to realize it wasn't the one I wanted.

30 hrs!!! I have about 300 hrs each on them. I've built at least two of them up to full 35 frigate fleet and all blueprints.

OUCH! :( Hopefully it gets sorted soon - the mod developers seem pretty good at fixing their stuff up. What's the mod that's upset it?

I forget the name of it, but it's a cheaty mod that triples the artificial 3-mod limit to 9. I have 7 class S scanner modules fitted. So now they're all disabled because the mod doesn't work with the new build. Like I said, my fault. 🤷‍♀️

Exactly. Yeah, the most recent is on the top, but then I play one of the old ones, and tomorrow that's on top and I forget and start it, only to realize it wasn't the one I wanted.

30 hrs!!! I have about 300 hrs each on them. I've built at least two of them up to full 35 frigate fleet and all blueprints.

Ah, I normally get bored of a save long before 300 hours and start again (but keep the old save around 'just in case' :ROFLMAO: ).

The exception is my current main save, which is at 112 hours so far, and about 4,000 light years from the galaxy centre.

Ah, I normally get bored of a save long before 300 hours and start again (but keep the old save around 'just in case' :ROFLMAO: ).
We're the same in that area. I'm a little bit of horder... I mean, collector of things. Hard to throw away or delete old stuff.

The exception is my current main save, which is at 112 hours so far, and about 4,000 light years from the galaxy centre.
One of the things I haven't done yet is to go to the center. With all that time spent, and that's one of the things still to do. Darn Hello Games keep on coming out with new stuff that I have to try out and play so I constantly get sidetracked. :D

It's my ADD... oh shiny button, what will that do?...

I hope it's red and labelled 'DO NOT PRESS!'
But that's the best one to press!!!

Reminds me of a story my brother told me 40 years ago or so. He worked at a shoe factory and they just got their first big computer system. Back then, it was behind doors, maintained by men in white coats. They had a young new employe (no, not me, I know what you're thinking) that they showed the system to. The guy flipped a big toggle he saw on the wall... sudden sound of all those big hard disks spinning down... those systems took about an hour to start up again. LOL! I guess he wasn't welcome in the computer room after that.

My day 1 save is 250 hours...but I havn't returned to it, every up date that comes out I start a new game!!! Although I did get a survival mode playthrough to the centre and I'm 70 hours into a permadeath mode trip to the centre.

I really like restarting in NMS, it's the nostalgic feeling coupled with the better play mechanics. I just wish I could do that in Elite without wiping my save and or buying another copy of the game.

What I do is to start certain events like sending my fleet on missions and let the plants grow for harvest, and then I'll go and do other things like a quicksilver community goal. Next day, I'll check on the fleet and harvest the plants, fill up my storage and sell overflow or put stuff in refinery for materials to build bases, send the fleet on new missions. Plenty of things to do while waiting for the events to finish.

I actually like that not everything is instant gratification, but there's some work and some wait for something else while working.

That's the way I like it, too. I see Micha's point of view, too, but I always liked games that didn\t resolve everything instantaneously. Has anyone around here played "Neptune's Pride"? That's a game that can best be described as "Space Risk." The kicker is that in that game, your ships all move in real-time, so it can take hours before they arrive at a star system and a battle breaks out. It makes for a wonderfully tense experience! I like games like that. I guess that is also why I prefer correspondence chess with a 10+ day time control. :) I suppose it depends on the game, though. There is now so much to do in NMS, that having some activities play out in real-time is not a detriment as there is always some other activity you can do in the meantime.

I've been busy on a sunbaked planet building a base and exploring with the help of some planetary charts I purchased, so I haven't had a chance to explore any of the new space content yet. I did uncover some salvage on this planet, and discovered it was guarded by what I think was called "a corrupted sentinel." We sort of starred at each other until the shooting started.

AXhhztA.jpg

I also have to hand it to Hello Games for further optimizations. I can now run the game with a steady 45-55 FPS on enhanced-high settings.

That's the way I like it, too. I see Micha's point of view, too, but I always liked games that didn\t resolve everything instantaneously. Has anyone around here played "Neptune's Pride"? That's a game that can best be described as "Space Risk." The kicker is that in that game, your ships all move in real-time, so it can take hours before they arrive at a star system and a battle breaks out. It makes for a wonderfully tense experience! I like games like that. I guess that is also why I prefer correspondence chess with a 10+ day time control. :) I suppose it depends on the game, though. There is now so much to do in NMS, that having some activities play out in real-time is not a detriment as there is always some other activity you can do in the meantime.
Agree.

I do feel that the new egg quest is a bit stretched out. It's 24 hours for each body part to grow, so without using any cheats it'll take me probably a week more before I have my living ship. Everyone posting their ships now must've most likely played around with the computer clock. I'm a little tempted because it takes a bit too long, but again, I don't want to cheat it. So in this particular case, I actually think they should've done something like Micha suggested, have in game time only, but do it just say 1 or 2 hours, so you could grow one body part while playing and get to the next one in the same day. The current 24 hour real time wait is a bit excessive.

I've been busy on a sunbaked planet building a base and exploring with the help of some planetary charts I purchased, so I haven't had a chance to explore any of the new space content yet. I did uncover some salvage on this planet, and discovered it was guarded by what I think was called "a corrupted sentinel." We sort of starred at each other until the shooting started.
:D

Here's a guide to living ships:

Source: https://youtu.be/eyWrUjvjUcM

And the save game editor (for PC) has been updated for living ships.
Haven't watched the video, but I assume he changes the clock on his computer forward between each event to avoid the wait. Apparently there's only 5 of these timed events, and I think I'm at the 4th right now. And I have the latest save file editor... but I try to avoid to cheat. :) Once in a while I do use it to get a little push forward, but in this case, I'm sticking to the game play.

Also, I just learned there's an event in space that can give you more quicksilver without having to do the missions. Going to look into that tomorrow.

On another note, I discovered a new "plant" on a planet, called "Mutated plant" (I think it was). It looks like a rock and when you mine it, it'll crack into pieces and you get gas (in my case Radon).

Did I understand correctly that the Living Ship will replace the ship you're currently in when the egg hatches?
If so then I want to fly an expendable ship when it hatches.

No that's false unless you already have 6 ships. If you have less than the maximum of 6 starships, you will be able to add the Living Ship to your fleet without loosing the ship you came in. In other words, it's the same rules for any time you get any new ship.

Currently, in No Man's Sky you can own 6 starships (Living or otherwise), 1 freighter and 30 frigates at one time.

Last edited:
And I have the latest save file editor... but I try to avoid to cheat. :) Once in a while I do use it to get a little push forward, but in this case, I'm sticking to the game play....

I tend to use the editor when I'm base building and can't be bothered going resource gathering. The rest of the time I'm pretty happy to just play the game as it is, given it's a pretty chilled experience.

It'd be nice if they could implement headtracking in game, if they have VR it would be nice to think that allowing for e.g. OpenTrack wouldn't be too large a stretch.

I tend to use the editor when I'm base building and can't be bothered going resource gathering. The rest of the time I'm pretty happy to just play the game as it is, given it's a pretty chilled experience.
I used to do that too. At the point I'm at now, I have so much inventory and methods to get what I need fairly quickly that it doesn't save me any time. For instance, I buy most ferrite and mostly refine carbon from plants I grow. And the save file editor was great to move the technologies in the ship and multitool as well before they implemented it in-game. It's a great tool. Oh, and it's the only way I know how to delete a frigate in your fleet. There's no way to fire or get rid of one in the game, unless I've overlooked it somehow.

I found my first space anomaly. I think it was called something like a "Stellar Brain." It tried to communicate with me, but it was just gibberish. I didn't try to attack it because it wasn't bothering me.
I've tried to attack some of them, but they don't react. Nothing happens.

Here's one I encountered yesterday. It's a ship actually. It kind'a looks like it's exploding, but it's a picture from behind (or I think at least it is from behind).
28FB6B6637AECE2FE9C926A126979BC16F8C2272

That's a neat discovery! It seems that some of these deep space anomalies are just scenery. Fine with me. :) I wish ED would get something similar to make exploration more interesting. It would work better in ED as we have real system travel rather than just cruise-control from point A to B as in NMS.

I came across this video today and found it has some helpful tips. I didn't know some of this!

That's a neat discovery! It seems that some of these deep space anomalies are just scenery. Fine with me. :) I wish ED would get something similar to make exploration more interesting. It would work better in ED as we have real system travel rather than just cruise-control from point A to B as in NMS.
I hope they'll add some game play to the encounters, like maybe finding loot on those crashed freighters. I've seen at least 10 of them now, but there's nothing to do with them.

Currently, in No Man's Sky you can own 6 starships (Living or otherwise), 1 freighter and 30 frigates at one time.
There's still no way to sell starships, right? That's really a missing "feature" as there's no real way to get rid of a ship without exchanging it for another ship. So no way to play as a salvager really.

Also weird that you can only ever buy ships from other individuals, ie, there's no shipyard.. The ship management is one thing that's always bugged me a bit in this game for some reason.

.... really gotta load of NMS again though, the Living Ships thing looks ace! Right after I finish updating some KSP mods lol.. (too many games, too little time..)

There's still no way to sell starships, right? That's really a missing "feature" as there's no real way to get rid of a ship without exchanging it for another ship. So no way to play as a salvager really.

Also weird that you can only ever buy ships from other individuals, ie, there's no shipyard.. The ship management is one thing that's always bugged me a bit in this game for some reason.

You can't "sell" ships, but you can recycle them for scrap & profit as of a few versions ago. There's a terminal available in stations where you do it. You can also upgrade your ship's class & module storage at the same place. So a 'C' class ship (that you like the look of) can become an 'S' class ship with maximum slots, if you have the moolah.

I agree it would be good to have a proper shipyard and market for them.

Top Bottom