[Official livestream] Fleet Carriers coming this year, on time, more news & details following the 24hr Charity livestream

Honestly I wouldn't miss them if they didn't arrive. FCs were created at a time when the push was towards squads, player factions, PP overhaul and other group play when the basic game was still languishing. That was a colossal mistake.

May I ask why you can see that happening?
OK, so I don't really really imagine this will happen, but I could just about kinda imagine it. Reasons are a) that it's clearly proving very difficult to do, b) a LOT of people on forums, podcasts, etc, etc saying they really aren't interested in fleet carriers, c) Frontier clearly changing their minds (uncertain) what fleet carriers are for (originally a Squadron goal, now everyone can have one?), d) possibly superceded by whatever "base building" means.

But no - in truth a) we've seen too much promotional material for them now (e.g. all the schematic images they released of the modular design of fleet carriers), b) the in-game teaser footage, c) community managers like Paige saying they've seen them and they're "amazing".

Will fleet carriers arrival be bare bones with more of the features needing new era content drop become available? Pure speculation.

Yeah, that was the angriest I've ever heard the Guard Fequence be. With the removal of CGs and IIs, It's getting to a point where even the most supportive of ED are getting very jaded about the future of the game. Fleet carriers are the only piece of content that we know about and if that's taken away, then there won't be enough content to keep people interested until the New Era arrives.

I don't know about anyone else but I reckon playing the game, single player. You kind of run out of things to do after about 150-200 hours. Now that's good value for a £40 game, in my opinion, but after that time, new dynamic content is need (eg CGs, and IIs) to keep things interesting. Wasn't that the point for no Offline mode? So they can add this kind of content without an update to the client?

The other thing you do is join a player group to either do BGS or even (going to regret saying this) Powerplay. Thank goodness for the groups which have creating events to keep everybody talking about something. But at the moment, it feels like FFE, when you've got the thargoid ship and there is no new news coming through the journals.

KEMNs5g.png

Stealthie

Banned
OK, so I don't really really imagine this will happen, but I could just about kinda imagine it. Reasons are a) that it's clearly proving very difficult to do, b) a LOT of people on forums, podcasts, etc, etc saying they really aren't interested in fleet carriers, c) Frontier clearly changing their minds (uncertain) what fleet carriers are for (originally a Squadron goal, now everyone can have one?), d) possibly superceded by whatever "base building" means.

Gotta say, I suspect the truth is that FDev probably thought they had FCs 90% complete back in 2018 but then they started to read all the "I wonder what'll happen when/if...." speculation on the forum (or elsewhere) and then realised there was a heap of extra stuff that they needed to think about, and make work.... which took longer than expected, compounded by the fact that the people who were now still working on FCs were probably supposed be doing other stuff instead.

We shall see.

Gotta say, I suspect the truth is that FDev probably thought they had FCs 90% complete back in 2018 but then they started to read all the "I wonder what'll happen when/if...." speculation on the forum (or elsewhere) and then realised there was a heap of extra stuff that they needed to think about, and make work.... which took longer than expected, compounded by the fact that the people who were now still working on FCs were probably supposed be doing other stuff instead.

We shall see.

This is why sometimes its good to engage with your players. In a game as increasingly complex as ED there will always be players who exist 'between the cracks' and be able to see relationships and issues that can get missed causing problems later.

Stealthie

Banned
This is why sometimes its good to engage with your players. In a game as increasingly complex as ED there will always be players who exist 'between the cracks' and be able to see relationships and issues that can get missed causing problems later.

Which, in itself, creates a bit of a dilemma because a lot of the best people to "stress test" new features are probably also the last people who you'd want to provide with any kind of "head-start" with new features.

Not something I'd like to be responsible for making a decision about, TBH. 😕

I personally wouldn't mind the head start. If it's about BGS, I can't compete with those big dedicated groups anyway. If it's about combat, there are plenty of ways to avoid confrontation. If it's about money, I don't really care how much they have and credits are a bit meaningless anyway.

There are also many players who have insane ideas about what the game is supposed to be.

True, but thats not the point- players know systems and more importantly the relationships between systems since they use them repeatedly. Not tapping that to see potential issues is foolhardy.
Issue being that people who do know the systems are just as confident in their opinions as those who think they know the systems. If we treated all opinions as equal, we'd still be somewhat uncertain if the Earth was flat or not.

Yeah starting to think Carriers are either cancelled, or they're going to be delayed again to some vague netherworld in the future alongside ice planets. Too much time has already passed since the charity livestream - we're back to interpreting Frontier's words in the most backwards, counterintuitive way imaginable just so we can figure out a way to tell ourselves that they haven't actually technically lied or misled anyone.

Queue the apologia: ". . . and THiiiiiiiiis is why Frontier never say anything except for the sporadic and vague Grimm's Fairytale-esque riddle-statement! IF ONLY the community wouldn't listen to their statements, or care about their communications, or expect them to do any of the things they say they are going to do; THEN Frontier would surely communicate all the time."

Issue being that people who do know the systems are just as confident in their opinions as those who think they know the systems. If we treated all opinions as equal, we'd still be somewhat uncertain if the Earth was flat or not.

Thats up to FD to work out, but it becomes easy to spot the spoons from the brainy after a few sentences.

Yeah starting to think Carriers are either cancelled, or they're going to be delayed again to some vague netherworld in the future alongside ice planets. Too much time has already passed since the charity livestream - we're back to interpreting Frontier's words in the most backwards,

If I remember correctly, the official info is FC update is due in 2nd quarter, and public info on FCs is due after the end of February.

Top Bottom