The Planetary Circumnavigation Club

That's fine and your entry can remain, I'll just mark it as POSTPONED or somesuch. Re: the size of your chosen planet, it's fine and fairly typical of other planets that have been circumnavigated here. What you need to work on is your driving, or rather "flyving" technique. With practice you can get those speeds up to 100m/s and above, flying the SRV through the air using boost with the nose tilted down to propel you forwards. This is something you could definitely pick up along the way. When we did the First Great Planetary Expedition we had quite a few SRV novices who started out at sub-30m/s speeds and who were flying over canyons at 150m/s by the end of the journey. The 0.06 gravity you have down there is just perfect for this!
So @ 5 months delayed - but have now completed the CEA expedition (and the DSN Lakon T-Type tour as well in my trusty T6) and have just touched down again on Hypoae Ain MO-I d9-37 4 c a - this time I will start off heading east - so I won't cover any previous ground until the very end...

As before - the Heart & Soul Nebulas provide some beautiful backdrops....I will check in @ every 90 deg covered...

o7
7QHMUd2.png

So @ 5 months delayed - but have now completed the CEA expedition (and the DSN Lakon T-Type tour as well in my trusty T6) and have just touched down again on Hypoae Ain MO-I d9-37 4 c a - this time I will start off heading east - so I won't cover any previous ground until the very end...

As before - the Heart & Soul Nebulas provide some beautiful backdrops....I will check in @ every 90 deg covered...

o7
7QHMUd2.png
Good luck!

o7 all!

Update: 90 degree mark passed earlier today! I have become rather good at 'bounding' and canyoning with the SRV...I think my decision to drive east was fortuitous - as the 'primary' moon is tidally locked - it provides not only a stunning backdrop - but also happens to be aligned more or less on the eastern horizon - so orientation to remain on course is rather simple:

Lb2XpdN.png

I felt I had crossed a mental barrier in reaching the 90 degree / 1/4 complete mark...Had just completed my most epic hill climb to date - sharp pointed peak in lower right was something I decided I had to climb:

Z4Cu9uW.png

Although it isn't nearly as sharp up close - It nonetheless has an extremely difficult approach to the summit:

vlId99U.png

And it took several tries - but I did manage to summit: (will post video at some point - needs some thematic music however ;-) )
32xj3eO.png

Equally thrilling is the 'descent' video (good thing my SRV has Prismatics :p )....

So everything is continuing wonderful - I reach my next waypoint (I stop and screenshot every 3.6 degrees (1/100) - so here I am at the most recent: 0, 93.6 degrees:

PMXhpxr.jpg

Great place to stop - I'll just log out for dinner and maybe put a bit more on before bed....Come back to my Type 6 looking down onto the surface of a moon.....whaaaa????

1590024678699.png

So after surviving the "desummitting' - and numerous other canyoning jumps / plummets ...I got caught by the deadly 'AFK Monster'....I am only packing a 2G / 1 SRV hangar = so I need to find nearest base to "reload"...I may try to fit a 4G hangar to prevent any possible repeat performance....

Does the entry need to be a 'single SRV' circumnavigation?

Rather disappointed in myself at the moment...(need to fire up the alt for some pew-pew I think)

Last edited:
o7 all!

Update: 90 degree mark passed earlier today! I have become rather good at 'bounding' and canyoning with the SRV...I think my decision to drive east was fortuitous - as the 'primary' moon is tidally locked - it provides not only a stunning backdrop - but also happens to be aligned more or less on the eastern horizon - so orientation to remain on course is rather simple:

Lb2XpdN.png

I felt I had crossed a mental barrier in reaching the 90 degree / 1/4 complete mark...Had just completed my most epic hill climb to date - sharp pointed peak in lower right was something I decided I had to climb:

Z4Cu9uW.png

Although it isn't nearly as sharp up close - It nonetheless has an extremely difficult approach to the summit:

vlId99U.png

And it took several tries - but I did manage to summit: (will post video at some point - needs some thematic music however ;-) )
32xj3eO.png

Equally thrilling is the 'descent' video (good thing my SRV has Prismatics :p )....

So everything is continuing wonderful - I reach my next waypoint (I stop and screenshot every 3.6 degrees (1/100) - so here I am at the most recent: 0, 93.6 degrees:

PMXhpxr.jpg

Great place to stop - I'll just log out for dinner and maybe put a bit more on before bed....Come back to my Type 6 looking down onto the surface of a moon.....whaaaa????

View attachment 173867

So after surviving the "desummitting' - and numerous other canyoning jumps / plummets ...I got caught by the deadly 'AFK Monster'....I am only packing a 2G / 1 SRV hangar = so I need to find nearest base to "reload"...I may try to fit a 4G hangar to prevent any possible repeat performance....

Does the entry need to be a 'single SRV' circumnavigation?

Rather disappointed in myself at the moment...(need to fire up the alt for some pew-pew I think)
Some really stunning photographs there! Dang, that's kinda gutting about the AFK SRV loss after all you've been through (out of fuel resulting in SRV explosion I assume) but don't worry, it doesn't jeopardise the validity of your circumnavigation (although I understand that mentally it's disappointing - of the three circumnavigations I've done now I don't think any have been finished in the same SRV I started out in). Just get a replacement, land back as close to where you lost the first SRV as possible and carry on. Loving the write-up and looking forward to some video!

o7

Last edited:
I've just had quite the adventure.

I was attempting to circumnavigate Aemosys YE-A e37 B 2, a 152km radius planet, and successfully drove from the north pole to the equator. I ended up putting myself into space, passing the south pole, and requiring a rescue from a fellow DSSA Callisto CMDR (Which was successful!). I then landed about 30% the distance from the South pole to the North pole, on the opposite side of the planet. Completion and evidence to be uploaded soon.

20200701150454_1.jpg

I've just had quite the adventure.

I was attempting to circumnavigate Aemosys YE-A e37 B 2, a 152km radius planet, and successfully drove from the north pole to the equator. I ended up putting myself into space, passing the south pole, and requiring a rescue from a fellow DSSA Callisto CMDR (Which was successful!). I then landed about 30% the distance from the South pole to the North pole, on the opposite side of the planet. Completion and evidence to be uploaded soon.

View attachment 179522
Epic! :ROFLMAO: (and a fantastic screenshot too)

Cmdr name: Zibadian
Planet/Moon: Zeta Tucanae 1
Gravity: 0.05
Radius: 205 km
Approximate distance travelled: 1400 km
Start- & Endpoint: 0, 0 (equator). Circumnavigated following the equator
Start/finish date: 18.07.3305 / 20.07.3305
Time taken: Approximately 15h
Evidence/travelogue: Compilation video:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKEbQ3aRT70

Congratulations Zibadian, lovely video too!

I've added your entry to the OP (beginning to wonder if a tabular format might not be better than that massive long list of details and images now that we have so many - I'll maybe work on that when I have a moment).

Welcome to the Planertary Circumnavigation Club! I've also put in the application for your EDSM badge (assuming you use EDSM under than commander name).

ZLaZ.gif

Welcome to the Planertary Circumnavigation Club! I've also put in the application for your EDSM badge (assuming you use EDSM under than commander name).

I am on EDSM with the same name indeed.

After a couple weeks of no Elite, I felt my DBX calling back to me... Urging me to finish what I'd started.
And so I have!

359320_20200725093756_1.png

Cmdr name: Adoranz
Planet/Moon: Aemosys YE-A e37 2 B
Radius: 152 km
Start/finish date(s): 29/06/3306 - 25.07.3306
Approximate distance travelled: ~1300 km for the first (due to orbital deviation), ~1000km for the second.
Approximate time taken: ~7 hrs for the first circumnavigation, 42 minutes for the second (primarily orbital) circumnavigation.
Evidence/travelogue: Imgur gallery, The orbital rescue, The second circumnavigation.

Quick heads up but there's a new circumnavigation of Mercury that's been announced over here: the-circumnavigation-of-mercury

I think I also have a couple of new circumnavigations to add to the OP (congrat's to Adoranz and also to Arburich who's weekend charity livestream circumnavigation was a complete success).
Update: @Arburich & @Adoranz - I've now updated the OP here with your qualifying entries - congratulations again!

Last edited:
Top Bottom