Combat logging no longer an exploit? * trigger warning *

I'm sure you have. But you DID know that my estimate of 20 seconds was incorrect; that was WHY you answered. So you HAVE combat logged enough to know the difference.
Cheers!
(snicker)
Given that combat logging is the act of exiting the game by alt-F4 (or in my case on console, exiting the application), pulling the network cable or power supply, then no, never.

That is combat logging. What you're describing with the countdown, regardless of what it is, is menu logging. This is different in the eyes of Frontier. Yes I have done that, I'll admit to being lazy about not jumping to a different guardian site when one runs out of sources for epsilon pattern data. In combat, again, never.

The whole point of the thread is to ask whether FD do actually say this. It seems plausible to me that you're right, but no-one has produced a citation. Have you got a link?
The OP has posted a link to the original quote by Sandro. But as the OP explains the post has been removed. This is due to the transfer of the old forum to the new one, unifying all game forums to one Frontier forum. Some posts have been removed for reasons that are unknown to me. What you might or might not find will be quotes of quotes at best but to answer your question directly: no, I can't give you (another) link with a still online post as the original quote by Sandro has been taken down and no longer exists. I can merely confirm the OP's statement with my knowledge and long lasting presence in this forum and game.

The OP has posted a link to the original quote by Sandro. But as the OP explains the post has been removed. This is due to the transfer of the old forum to the new one, unifying all game forums to one Frontier forum. Some posts have been removed for reasons that are unknown to me. What you might or might not find will be quotes of quotes at best but to answer your question directly: no, I can't give you (another) link with a still online post as the original quote by Sandro has been taken down and no longer exists. I can merely confirm the OP's statement with my knowledge and long lasting presence in this forum and game.

Web Archive has it!

It's right here, these points in the EULA still apply to combat logging via force quitting the game without using the technology built in place to exit gracefully; applicable point bolded:

3. Licence Restrictions
You are not permitted:

(a) to load the Game on to a network server for the purposes of distribution to one or more other device(s) on that network or to effect such distribution;
(b) except as expressly permitted by this EULA and to the extent expressly permitted by applicable law, to rent, lease, sub-license, loan, exploit for profit or gain, copy, modify, adapt, merge, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or create derivative works based on the whole or any part of the Game or use, reproduce, distribute, translate, broadcast, publicly perform, store in a retrieval system or otherwise deal in the Game or any part thereof in any way;
(c) use cheats, automation software, hacks, mods, or any other unauthorized software designed to modify or defeat the purpose or experience of the Game;
(d) use any unauthorized software that harvests or otherwise collections information about others or the Game, including about a character or the game environment;
(e) use any robot, spider, scraper, or other automated or manual means to access the Game or any Online Features or copy any content or information from the Game or any Online Features;
(f) probe, scan, test the vulnerability of or breach the authentication measures of the Game or any Online Features;
(g) violate any technology control or export laws and regulations that apply to the technology used or supported by the Game or any Online Features.

4. Acceptable Use Restrictions

4.1 You may not use the Game or any Online Features in any unlawful manner, for any unlawful purpose, or in any manner inconsistent with this EULA, or act fraudulently or maliciously, including but not limited to hacking into, inserting malicious code (including viruses or harmful data) into the Game, any Online Features or any operating system.

4.2 You may not infringe our intellectual property rights or those of any third party in relation to your use of the Game or any Online Features to the extent that such use is not licensed by this EULA.

4.3 You may not transmit any material that is unlawful, defamatory or offensive in relation to your use of the Game or the Online Features.

4.4 You may not use the Game or any Online Features in a manner that could damage, disable, impair, overburden or compromise our systems or security or interfere with the experience of other users of the Game or any Online Feature.

4.5 You may not collect or harvest any information or data from the Game, the Online Features or our systems, and may not attempt to decipher any transmissions to or from the servers running the Game or Online Features.

Force quitting violates both of these. The game has implemented technology (code designed this way) to force people that want to quit that have been in combat wait 15 seconds. Any software or manual action that aborts this technology control (i.e. Alt-F4, pulling the ethernet cable, etc. - ANYTHING but using the menu log out option) is in violation.

You must abide by the game rules, even when quitting, or you are in violation of 3. G. if you are a solo player or both 3.G and 4.4. if you are playing in Open.

what's the answer, not gonna read 5 pages
Web Archive has it!

And also this

It's right here, these points in the EULA still apply to combat logging via force quitting the game without using the technology built in place to exit gracefully; applicable point bolded:

Force quitting violates both of these. The game has implemented technology (code designed this way) to force people that want to quit that have been in combat wait 15 seconds. Any software or manual action that aborts this technology control (i.e. Alt-F4, pulling the ethernet cable, etc. - ANYTHING but using the menu log out option) is in violation.

You must abide by the game rules, even when quitting, or you are in violation of 3. G. if you are a solo player or both 3.G and 4.4. if you are playing in Open.

Lol the trigger warning was for the spelling? "No, it has to be perfect or I cant make sense of the sound and context."
Exiting by game menu, if you can, is legit. Pulling the plug is not. What's there to discus? The only issue is proving it by pattern still isn't fair because of unstable architecture.
This game is such a "don't hurt me" it's not worth enforcing anyway. Roll your eyes and chalk it up.

The last time I was blown up, I was jumped by a wing of 2 cmdrs in max-min combat tanks as I was in my basic explorer. "try to improve next time" has nothing to do with it...
The last time i was blown up, i was in a pimp Corvette, with onionhead skin. Unfortunatly it was an AX pimp Corvette with onionhead skin. 4 ships that did not agree with my stance on Thargoids pulled me out of SC and basically blew me up. Fair fu-play to them.
Big scary fish in the pond=better gameplay.
Imo.

o7

Factually incorrect - and a rather amusing misinterpretation of the logical fallacy argument.

The false equivalence I was referring to is the conflation of anything done via the game itself with what's done wholly outside of the game.

Reasoning that, because another in-game character does something you think is crappy to your in-game character, that it's ok for you to bypass this gameplay by prohibited means, is a crystal clear example of false equivalence. There are very plain differences that you have to ignore to say "if this is ok, then so is this".

Having only EVER combat-logged once in my entire career, I'm unsure as to the actual delay - that was a guess.

The delay is zero when forcibly killing the game task or severing connection some other way.

"Combat logging", as defined by Frontier, and citied in posts by Sandro Sammarco and Zac Antonaci, who were acting in their capacity as Frontier employees, in about a half dozen posts in this thread, is bypassing the timer.

I'd also argue that conflating using the timer, which is intrinsically out-of-character, to bypass contextually in-character events, is also a clear cut example of false equivalence, even if it's not prohibited behavior. However, this is not what "combat logging" is referring to, nor was the specific example I was refering to when I pointed out your original false equivalence (which may well have been unintentional on your part, due to your ignorance of the terminology used by Frontier and this thread).

what's the answer, not gonna read 5 pages

The answer has been posted at least once, every page.

Last edited:
The last time i was blown up, i was in a pimp Corvette, with onionhead skin. Unfortunatly it was an AX pimp Corvette with onionhead skin. 4 ships that did not agree with my stance on Thargoids pulled me out of SC and basically blew me up. Fair fu-play to them.
Big scary fish in the pond=better gameplay.
Imo.

I can understand that people want to do "something" in the game and that something is mindlessly killing other players.
It is fine when you carry cargo - pirates.
Also fine when you invade some powerplay system - defending ships.
But blowing up "mostly harmless" randoms in cheap ships?

Meh.
I menu logged once.
Then I switched to some useless ship so they can kill me all the time they want.

I would love aspect of the game like pirating/chasing/etc if other players would... do it.
Most of the time is "die slave/grom/fed scum" and shooting without scanning/questioning/stealing cargo.
I mean, what can I do in ASP explorer to imperial cutter?

I hope combat logging will stay until the end of the game (or changing crime and punishment system).
Just to annoy griefers.

I hope combat logging will stay until the end of the game (or changing crime and punishment system).
Just to annoy griefers.

It's not here at all, though; what you did is menu logging which is different. We've already found the posts where they differentiated the two, and said menu logging is totally legitimate while combat logging in considered an actionable exploit.

It probably comes down a lot to the mechanics of how the game handles you exiting. If you menu log, you spend 15 seconds taking damage before you log off, with no control over your ship. That's dangerous and has a high chance of you losing your ship, so FDev appears to be fine with it because of that risk. But Combat Logging, as defined by FDev, is the act of ungracefully killing the client, pulling the network plug or cutting power to the machine in combat; that was very specifically called an exploit. The reason for this is that while your ship does remain in the game for a little while, it is indestructible because your client is no longer active to register the damage. If your opponent got you to 15% hull and you combat log, then your ship stays in game at 15% and nothing they throw at it will change that. There's no risk.

So menu logging is likely here to stay. Combat logging is officially an actionable offense, tho there hasn't been much evidence they intend to action do much about it.

Just to annoy griefers.

Combat logging is frequently a form of griefing that is also regularly used as a tool to facilitate other forms of griefing.

Most of the combat logging, and menu logging to escape consequences, I've seen done in person were done by the agressors and often featured explicitly out of character commentary or outright harassment, before or after the act.

Legitimate players, by definition, do not combat log.

The whole point of the thread is to ask whether FD do actually say this. It seems plausible to me that you're right, but no-one has produced a citation. Have you got a link?
Web Archive has it!

Thanks to Ganogati, here's the link.

I agree with several of the summaries above.

I agree that clogging is an exploit. I'll never do it. But if anyone did it to me I'd be very pleased and chalk it up as a triumph.

I also don't mind at all that it's possible; I enjoy the fact that it annoys griefers.

I suspect that this almost-dissonance and the associated annoyance are the reasons it keeps coming up for discussion in the forum. :)

Top Bottom