ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
It is actually very good...which is why I am indeed still here. However, it could have been so much more, much sooner and is now playing catchup imo. I really hope that the new DLC is great...but I do say that more in hope than expectation.

Still, I'm sure you will enjoy it...however it turns out.

Reality will never match the expectations of a fertile imagination so it will always fall short.
Need to keep in mind too that one person's idea of "So much more" will be another person's "utter rubbish" FD have to find a middle ground while not going bankrupt

Dude, the video you posted says (in small print) 'Not ingame footage' It is clearly CGI. This trailer we have seen today says 'pre alpha engine footage'

I dunno what the big deal is about the trailer TBH.

We can already see surface outposts and ships as we drive around in the SRV so nothing implausible there.
We've already got animated 3D models of our CMDRs in the holo-me so there's nothing special there either.

They've, basically, just taken the holo-me, put it in a spacesuit and then made it into a person-shaped SRV.

I don't mean to underplay the effort it takes to program all this new stuff.
I'm just saying, I don't really see any reason to be so skeptical about it.

I dunno what the big deal is about the trailer TBH.

We can already see surface outposts and ships as we drive around in the SRV so nothing implausible there.
We've already got animated 3D models of our CMDRs in the holo-me so there's nothing special there either.

They've, basically, just taken the holo-me, put it in a spacesuit and then made it into a person-shaped SRV.

I don't mean to underplay the effort it takes to program all this new stuff.
I'm just saying, I don't really see any reason to be so skeptical about it.

The only thing getting me hyped is the terrain generation, looks stunning. I see some are getting excited about Earth likes, highly unlikely to be included. We should see some awesome looking desert/icy/lava worlds with atmospheres, and hopefully a bunch of extra toys to mess around with.

9+ months to release? We'll get drip fed with some interesting content over the next few quarters. Hopefully some nice surprises. Not getting my hopes up for proper atmospherics (storms etc)

All looks amazing, but this is the Horizons I expected a few years back

It's an expansion bud... Probably cost the same as a new game though but I don't mind paying...
Well, LEP-Owner here, I'll give this a try for sure! And If I'm half as happy about it as now, I'll buy thankfully some cosmetics just to show my respect! But we'll see...

I'm really excited about this! However, I can't help but share the worries of some other forum members, namely that the transition from ship to ground will be just a fade to black:

Now, I'm going to speculate optimistically here.

So, in order to get out of our ships, we'll need to go through them, right? So that means walking through the ships as well.
UNLESS it's done like how SRV and SLF boarding is done - fade to black cutscene (which would be totally lame)

If social hubs... which means buildings... does that include starports? Are they so far removed?

So I'm hoping this includes both walking around ships and ports. Would love to walk around the Squirrel's Nest
Well, we dont know for sure if you can walk in your ship. We know almost nothing. It could be that you 'press F to go outside', and then you suddenly stand outside near the door. I hope not, but lets not let our imagination run wild...
please don't blow this.

can you please confirm that you're also able to walk around in your ship? it'll be quite the dealbreaker if you just "teleport" to the surface.
I'm pretty sure they'll try to make the classic fade that happens both for the SRV and the fighters, It's pretty lame and absolute garbage indeed, but if they were to actually let us walk inside our spaceships, they'd have to remove those fading transitions for the SRV and the fighters...and yeah, I highly doubt they'll do that after the state in which fleet carriers came out and how useless they still are :/

(just plz Frontier play your own game, it needs far more detail to be enjoyable in the long term. I don't even care if I have to pay 60€ for each expansion or if I have to wait 2 years for each one to come out, just make it truly enjoyable and I'll buy it at any price tag)

Even if we don't get full ship interiors, I hope the process for getting out of the ship is more immersive than "you are in pilot seat -> black screen-> you are outside" . Even an elevator that goes directly from the cockpit to the ship's entrance (like the ones X4: Foundations uses for its bigger ships) would go a long way to make it feel relatively seamless.

This is disappointing. I started ED to be a commander, not a pedestrian. If I wanted to walk around I'd be playing Halo or Call of Duty. If this goes the way I think it will, it will completely ruin the game for me. If I do stick around, I'll probably get my jollies mowing down fools on the ground with my ship. This is just stupid.

All looks amazing, but this is the Horizons I expected a few years back

Yeah.

I guess the "sky" is kind of nice but it seems like it's just a diffuse filter with no real atmospheric effects.
Didn't really notice improvements to the terrain, I just thought it looked pretty cos of the light.

If the trailer had showed FPS characters actually doing something FPS-specific (entering an outpost, climbing a mountain, repairing a ship or whatever) I might've been more impressed.
But still, I guess there's 9 months-worth of trailers to fill with extra stuff.

As it is, like you say, it just looks like Horizons+. 🤷‍♂️

I'm just a bit baffled why people are so skeptical that this might be "in-game" footage.

Dude, the video you posted says (in small print) 'Not ingame footage' It is clearly CGI. This trailer we have seen today says 'pre alpha engine footage'

Always keep an eye on the small print when viewing trailers.

I saw it , but I believe it? NO.
It says in -engine "footage", they are just sequences from the graphics engine, not the game itself. where did I go wrong?

Don't learn guys, at time, remember my words. 😉

As it is, like you say, it just looks like Horizons+. 🤷‍♂️

Didn't go that far, the terrain and visuals have had a huge improvement. I expect to see some pretty mind blowing footage over the next few months. Just not full on weather and cities like star citizen. I'd expect to see that level on the next big update, it will be CPU/GPU hungry for sure.

I saw it , but I believe it? NO.
It says in -engine "footage", they are just sequences from the graphics engine, not the game itself. where did I go wrong?

Don't learn guys, at time, remember my words. 😉

C'mon mate, it's not exactly ground breaking graphics.. It's good, but nowhere near as good as you seem to think. Have you seen what other devs are putting out? That looks like alpha footage to me. They have been talking about this new tech for a while, specifically for ice worlds.

All Odyssey has to deliver in order to make me happy:

1) Atmospheric Planets of equal quality to the non-atmospheric planets already in the game.

2) Full bodied & voiced mission givers.

3) More depth to missions, to make them feel more like personal narratives (using improvements to stuff like Chained Mission Mechanics & the USS changes implemented in Beyond).

If it can do those 3 things, then I'm sold. Anything more than that is gravy :).

Yes, I would be happy too .... but with the current flaws in the game, I don't know how certain things will be implemented.
Anyway, I am to reserve until I can see and play, I do not like to make movies with a trailer of less than a minute.
By experience.

C'mon mate, it's not exactly ground breaking graphics.. It's good, but nowhere near as good as you seem to think. Have you seen what other devs are putting out? That looks like alpha footage to me. They have been talking about this new tech for a while, specifically for ice worlds.

So you are giving me the reason :D , because the video, although it is exciting, is quite lousy and does not look like what elite currently looks like.

To me, it look like the cobra engine with a makeover.

Yes, to me too... just referring to the amount of stuff people are taking out of just 1 minute of video. I just wish they wouldn't be disappointed later if they didn't see what they believed or saw in this video in the game.

I'm just as excited as everyone, but cautiously.

This is disappointing. I started ED to be a commander, not a pedestrian. If I wanted to walk around I'd be playing Halo or Call of Duty. If this goes the way I think it will, it will completely ruin the game for me. If I do stick around, I'll probably get my jollies mowing down fools on the ground with my ship. This is just stupid.
Well, if you look at it from the dev's perspective I think they need to do this to keep up with the competition. If they pull off space legs well (not saying they will or won't) they could give Star Citizen a run for their money. I haven't played ED for a few years now as the whole Thargoid story thing was annoying me and I'd already reached 2 Elite status'. I may come back in with Odyssey if it looks like it will be worth the extra $ for the DLC.

Last edited:
Reality will never match the expectations of a fertile imagination so it will always fall short.
Need to keep in mind too that one person's idea of "So much more" will be another person's "utter rubbish" FD have to find a middle ground while not going bankrupt
I respect your opinion.

I just saw the reveal vid on youtube.
It didn't show anything that I didn't expect if we did get spacelegs.
Walking and guns.
It's to early to come to conclusions because we don't know enough but to be honest I didn't see anything surprising, I was expecting spacelegs anyways.
If we're indeed getting atmospheric planets then I realy hope we get more then just beige rocky worlds.

Personaly I'm not to hyped for spacelegs, I'm a pilot first not a pedestrian but who knows Fdev might've seen the light and might come up with something good besides walking and shooting.

Spacelegs were bound to come, if only to counter Star Citizen and NMS, let's hope they won't half bake this new thing like they did with so many other features.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom