Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

I'm still in 2 minds about this FC business, I kinda want one but at the same time I don't. I think I may take a long trip, from Colonia to the Bubble, clockwise passing over Sag A*. See how I feel after that. I'm both intrigued by them and frankly, so bored by them.

The way I think of space flight in Elite if I were explaining it to a fellow Trekkie nerd is like:

1) Normal speed = Impulse engines
2) Supercruise = Warp 1 inter-system travel (First Contact)
3) Hyperspace = Warp 10 (Voyager episode I forget the name of)

The way I think of space flight in Elite if I were explaining it to a fellow Trekkie nerd is like:

1) Normal speed = Impulse engines
2) Supercruise = Warp 1 inter-system travel (First Contact)
3) Hyperspace = Warp 10 (Voyager episode I forget the name of)
To be precise, in SC our ships can reach warp factor 7.3 (2001c) (and yes, it is a reference)
Hyperspace is more like a wormhole jump from Stargate or Event Horizon - almost instant traversal of any distance (limit being our FSD and how far ahead it can "target" a star)

To be precise, in SC our ships can reach warp factor 7.3 (2001c) (and yes, it is a reference)
Hyperspace is more like a wormhole jump from Stargate or Event Horizon - almost instant traversal of any distance (limit being our FSD and how far ahead it can "target" a star)
You think supercruise is the equivalent to warp 7.3? I trust your research but I'd have to go back and see where they were flying at warp 7 because that seems too fast for me.

Totally agree on the Stargate/Event Horizon thing though (SG-1 and and Event Horizon are aweome).

You think supercruise is the equivalent to warp 7.3? I trust your research but I'd have to go back and see where they were flying at warp 7 because that seems too fast for me.

Totally agree on the Stargate/Event Horizon thing though (SG-1 and and Event Horizon are aweome).
The problem with this conversion is that our SC is continuous while warp factor is kind of "stepped".
But the max speed our ships can reach if you leave them accelerating for long enough is 2001c which, according to official Trekkie conversion is roughly Warp 7.3.
From the top of my head that's a speed at which you'd reach Alpha Centauri in about... 8 days roughly? Or is it 0.8 days. Are there any mathemagicians around?

Last edited:
The problem with this conversion is that our SC is continuous while warp factor is kind of "stepped".
But the max speed our ships can reach if you leave them accelerating for long enough is 2001c which, according to official Trekkie conversion is roughly Warp 7.3.
From the top of my head that's a speed at which you'd reach Alpha Centauri in about... 8 days roughly? Or is it 0.8 days. Are there any mathemagicians around?
Definitely not me. I deliberately got myself kicked out of B math so I could be with my dumb friends in C.

That's interesting though. Like I say, I trust your P.I. work. They do spend time chilling out a lot during warp in Star Trek, and even during hyperspace in Star Wars, so top warp is definitely not like MacGyvver jumping through a stargate a'la Elite.

Definitely not me. I deliberately got myself kicked out of B math so I could be with my dumb friends in C.

That's interesting though. Like I say, I trust your P.I. work. They do spend time chilling out a lot during warp in Star Trek, and even during hyperspace in Star Wars, so top warp is definitely not like MacGyvver jumping through a stargate a'la Elite.
Yes, who can really say due to (understandable) cuts, but I think the travel between star systems in the order of weeks is what I kind of imagined when comes to Star Trek

I kinda had it in my head as days but it could be weeks.
From a certain point of view, the fleet capital ships were generation ships (i.e. whole families lived on them, not just people serving the fleet) so I think it wouldn't be a stretch to expect traveling around the sectors to even take months and years.
But again, I'm not a trekkie (nor am I really a geek into any other kind of sci-fi, tbh. I just like them) I bet somebody studying this topic for the last 50 years would school us all in how the life on the Enterprise was.

From a certain point of view, the fleet capital ships were generation ships (i.e. whole families lived on them, not just people serving the fleet) so I think it wouldn't be a stretch to expect traveling around the sectors to even take months and years.
But again, I'm not a trekkie (nor am I really a geek into any other kind of sci-fi, tbh. I just like them) I bet somebody studying this topic for the last 50 years would school us all in how the life on the Enterprise was.
No, me neither. I asked a friend but he's probably doing something lame like playing GTA. I've only watched Star Trek religiously since Deep Space Nine so there's quite a few episodes I missed.

It appears someone who wrote system descriptions was a bit of a KLF fan:

cJmYJ3V.jpg

Top Bottom