Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Deleted member 38366

D
My Carrier is at Day 10 of its long Exploration Campaign.

As expected, no sign of the primary Mission Objectives - a Green Gas Giant or a Notable Stellar Phenomena.
Many thousand Systems to go and the Arcadian Stream holds Billions of Stars, plenty of places left to go ;)

An Imperial Eagle discovering an Earth-Like world somewhere 17500LY out? No problem.
unknown.png

Some Biologicals were discovered, although nothing new for this Galactic Sector.
unknown.png

ELITE-Mercator-Anemones.jpg

The Mining Role Carrier Support Vessels can autonomously Scout and mine ad-hoc anywhere, which makes for a nice change of pacing....
unknown.png

unknown.png

Another Carrier Scout visiting an Ammonia World around a cool Dwarf...
ELITE-Mercator-Ammonia.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My Carrier is at Day 10 of its long Exploration Campaign.

As expected, no sign of the primary Mission Objectives - a Green Gas Giant or a Notable Stellar Phenomena.
Many thousand Systems to go and the Arcadian Stream holds Billions of Stats, plenty of places left to go ;)

An Imperial Eagle discovering an Earth-Like world somewhere 17500LY out? No problem.
unknown.png

She is a pretty bird.

Great job.

Definitely not me. I deliberately got myself kicked out of B math so I could be with my dumb friends in C.

That's interesting though. Like I say, I trust your P.I. work. They do spend time chilling out a lot during warp in Star Trek, and even during hyperspace in Star Wars, so top warp is definitely not like MacGyvver jumping through a stargate a'la Elite.
Our jumps are more like traveling a Borg transwarp corridor as shown in Picard but we are still faster I think.

From a certain point of view, the fleet capital ships were generation ships (i.e. whole families lived on them, not just people serving the fleet) so I think it wouldn't be a stretch to expect traveling around the sectors to even take months and years.
But again, I'm not a trekkie (nor am I really a geek into any other kind of sci-fi, tbh. I just like them) I bet somebody studying this topic for the last 50 years would school us all in how the life on the Enterprise was.
IIRC they did do a day onboard the Enterprise episode in Next Gen with the ship in night shift mode for part of it.

Oh I despise Picard and Discovery but I get that reference from Voyager. Which many Trek fans despise. Because they're not true fans like me.
Voyager I wasn't a fan of nor DS9, I liked some of the episodes but never felt compelled to see them all. I haven't seen all the second season of Discovery yet I can see why some disliked it.
Picard I liked a lot much of it was like putting on an old comfortable jacket, the info dumping to let us no a little about what had happened in the missing decades worked for me and the fact that life had happened for everyone while we weren't looking was also good as was getting a more civilian view.
I consider my self a science fiction fan, though several friends are full on trek fans.

Just to answer the thread's opening question (I'm definitely still a new player at less than a month in) I'm currently taking a Diamondback Explorer out to Hawking's Gap via the Outer Spur, to return to the bubble from the 'North' via various deep space bases (some asteroid bases were set up on the main route to Colonia).

I'm about 3,000 light years out from the Bubble at present, in the Outer Orion Spur. My next waypoint is the Deep Space Support Array vessel Artemis' Rest, which is about another 3,000 light years distant. Once I've reached there, stage one of my expedition will be complete. Then it's onwards to Hawkings Gap. I haven't measured the total distances I'll be travelling yet but it's likely to be close to 20,000 light years by the time I'm back, I think.

Voyager I wasn't a fan of nor DS9, I liked some of the episodes but never felt compelled to see them all. I haven't seen all the second season of Discovery yet I can see why some disliked it.
Picard I liked a lot much of it was like putting on an old comfortable jacket, the info dumping to let us no a little about what had happened in the missing decades worked for me and the fact that life had happened for everyone while we weren't looking was also good as was getting a more civilian view.
I consider my self a science fiction fan, though several friends are full on trek fans.
I don't like the new stuff because it's literally not canon and technically written by Alex Kurtzman of the Bad Robot tribe. Although I still love the 2009 reboot films for some reason. Under the original premise that they're a split off from the original Star Trek universe.

Though if people like the new stuff, that's fine. I get it. I was just kidding with the 'true fan' thing.

Surprised you didn't like DS9 though. That's kinda like the Empire Strikes Back of TNG era Trek.

Just to answer the thread's opening question (I'm definitely still a new player at less than a month in) I'm currently taking a Diamondback Explorer out to Hawking's Gap via the Outer Spur, to return to the bubble from the 'North' via various deep space bases (some asteroid bases were set up on the main route to Colonia).

I'm about 3,000 light years out from the Bubble at present, in the Outer Orion Spur. My next waypoint is the Deep Space Support Array vessel Artemis' Rest, which is about another 3,000 light years distant. Once I've reached there, stage one of my expedition will be complete. Then it's onwards to Hawkings Gap. I haven't measured the total distances I'll be travelling yet but it's likely to be close to 20,000 light years by the time I'm back, I think.
Hey, GP. We probably started around the same time. Looks like you really dig exploring. A man after my own heart. Have fun out there.

I decided to take a short break from my exploration activities and visit my old friend Etienne Dorn, the engineer. I've been doing a lot of planet mapping lately, and he offers upgrades that will make my surface probes cover a larger area. I checked my materials storage and had enough of everything, so off I went.

He has quite an impressive base. I guess there's good money in upgrades.

Screenshot_0516.jpg

currently im trying to trade my way to 5B so i can get a carrier, im also getting hit with 50 credit and 100 credit fines somewhat rarely when i decide "take off queue? i AM the queue" and the AI ships don't get the memo in time, or when i get tired of the auto docker scraping the paint trying to squeeze a T9 through the slot, and also because the auto launcher drives like a granny and doesn't boost through the slot (hey, time is credits).
by the way, do the stations ever charge for speeding? and why do the stations require us to land a particular way on the pads and then spin us around before takeoff?
im also wishing there was a better supercruise assist auto-pilot that would try to get you to point B as fast as possible
edit: heck, id take a SCA module that wouldn't run me into planets and stars
edit 2: all the above are assuming my graphics card isen't trying to screw me over. (its a 5600XT running slightly older drivers because the newest don't have DX 12 support somehow)

Last edited:
I'm still in 2 minds about this FC business, I kinda want one but at the same time I don't. I think I may take a long trip, from Colonia to the Bubble, clockwise passing over Sag A*. See how I feel after that. I'm both intrigued by them and frankly, so bored by them.

I'm a bit the same. I absolutely loathe what they have done to so many of the system maps with their sheer numbers (comfortably the biggest challenge to my immersion), but love that they have given so many Commanders a new lease of life. Plus they are useful for Squadron ops (my squadron has two with a third on the way, and we're currently at war in a system with only outposts - I have a Corvette, a FDL, a Courier and a T6 berthed on the Carrier while we wreak havoc). And of course @Codger used his to save me from Colonia. So I can't hate them. Just don't really like them, either. We could make the war work without them. But they do help.

To be precise, in SC our ships can reach warp factor 7.3 (2001c) (and yes, it is a reference)
Hyperspace is more like a wormhole jump from Stargate or Event Horizon - almost instant traversal of any distance (limit being our FSD and how far ahead it can "target" a star)

I love Stargate and Event Horizon more than is healthy. I realise that we're all getting older, but my earliest memory of Stargate is when the ever-lovely Mrs Templar bought me for a birthday the first three series of Stargate on DVD. I opened them, looked blank, and she realised that I didn't know what a DVD was. Amazing show. Happy times (mercifully my wife is just as big a sci fi fan as I am).

They even have "stargates" in The Expanse now. Don't know what the galaxy us coming to.

And LTD prices are appearing to drop.

And I just got another year older.

Grumblemoangrunt. Where's me slippers? And the brandy?

Happy Birthday!!!

Birthdays don’t count this year. You remain the same age. Happy nothingness day!

Our daughter (Alice, who is seven) puts a kiss in all birthday cards for each year of the recipients' life. Oh how we parents love that visual reminder!

It appears someone who wrote system descriptions was a bit of a KLF fan:

cJmYJ3V.jpg

Hilarious. I love these details. Also remind me that not everyone is under 25.

Oh I despise Picard and Discovery but I get that reference from Voyager. Which many Trek fans despise. Because they're not true fans like me.

We love every scrap of Trek, from the 1960s to the current Netflix. Can't get enough. It's sad, really. But we all of us are what we are.

What am I up to? Motoring through the 'Expert' combat rank as I wage war for my faction. Who just promoted me to Flight Commander. Yay!! Loving my FDL. And just hilariously discovered that I have been running a 3C biweave rather than a 5C and never noticed. Cripes. Looking forward to trying out my new-found toughness tonight.

o7

im also wishing there was a better supercruise assist auto-pilot that would try to get you to point B as fast as possible

There is - it is called use the slot for something else.

Fastest journey is (for me*) 100% throttle until the ttg falls below 0:10 then hit 75% throttle.

(* Some people swear by using gravity braking - I feel it is too unreliable for me, I prefer the predictability of the 75% throttle method.)

We love every scrap of Trek, from the 1960s to the current Netflix. Can't get enough. It's sad, really. But we all of us are what we are.

I love Trek too but Discovery and Picard surprised me in their use of profanity. I am not easily offended - in fact, the more offensive and rude things get, the better I like it - but the use of the F word in these series did have me a little taken aback :D

There is - it is called use the slot for something else.

Fastest journey is (for me*) 100% throttle until the ttg falls below 0:10 then hit 75% throttle.

(* Some people swear by using gravity braking - I feel it is too unreliable for me, I prefer the predictability of the 75% throttle method.)
I think too much emphasis on the final approach is possible. A lot of speed can be maintained by avoiding obvious gravity wells and managing a path into your destination to spiral down into the gravity well.
I will avoid planets or the star while cruising through a system. I will also consider the gravity well of the main planet while approaching a moon and will maintain my distance from the main planet as long as possible. Even if this is a curving line.
Difficult to quantify the improvement tbh.

I think too much emphasis on the final approach is possible. A lot of speed can be maintained by avoiding obvious gravity wells and managing a path into your destination to spiral down into the gravity well.
I will avoid planets or the star while cruising through a system. I will also consider the gravity well of the main planet while approaching a moon and will maintain my distance from the main planet as long as possible. Even if this is a curving line.
Difficult to quantify the improvement tbh.
Ask Buckyball pilots. They will easily quantify it for you. :)
You are right. Taking a path leading "up" or "down" in relation to the system's ecliptic and flying your ship in a curve, approaching the destination, again, from "top" or "bottom" is much faster than a straight line between the star and the destination if there are other masses in between.

Top Bottom