ANNOUNCEMENT New Lead Community Manager - Arthur Tolmie

My god man, philistines everywhere! Tunnocks caramel wafer. Beats everything. 2 methods, you can dunk or, and this is street cafe level, keep it in the wrapper and lay it across the steaming (tea for me) coffee mug for 5 minutes. Beats Belgium waffles hands down. It is as close to Nirvana as a commander can get. or finding Raxxla. Ok finding Raxxla but only just...
Ooooh, too sickly for my unsweetened tea, mind you I do like a 'single' chunk of Galaxy occasionally... heh, sometimes two in the same week!

Ooooh, too sickly for my unsweetened tea, mind you I do like a 'single' chunk of Galaxy occasionally... heh, sometimes two in the same week!

Three times I've tried to suggest someone ping me when they crack out the [favourite / 2nd fav. / 3rd fav] biscuits, and only now have I realised how dodgy the names of many biscuits are. Hob XYZ's, Ginger N**s etc...

Three times I've tried to suggest someone ping me when they crack out the [favourite / 2nd fav. / 3rd fav] biscuits, and only now have I realised how dodgy the names of many biscuits are. Hob XYZ's, Ginger N**s etc...

The thing about 'authoritarian censors' is that words 'created' hundreds or thousands of years ago may have (more recently) had their meaning hijacked, adapted, extended, or in some other way changed to mean something else as well, so it isn't the fault of the person using the word it's the fault author of the censoring (app?) for not having given it an education, but like most things in today's life it's/they're a half baked job that is called 'OK' and fed to the masses to govern the world.

I feel a better way around the problem of forum censorship could be for a colour* to sit behind the word (those currently on the list of inappropriate) used indicating that if used with other words to form an insult/whatever could result in the user being asked for an explanation and a possible reprimand/ban for abuse, what we have in many censored forums is a game played by some to circumvent the rules, and others being frustrated by draconian rules removing a perfectly serviceable word.

This might go some way to uphold the spirit of communication without the need of direct censorship.

*Yellow-Orange-Red, where Red is a no no, and Yellow-Orange is OK in the appropriate context

As for biscuits? well, 'Parsons Biscuits' are a firm favorite with the old Top Gear team. and I'm a bit of a fan of those guys.

The thing about 'authoritarian censors' is that words 'created' hundreds or thousands of years ago may have (more recently) had their meaning hijacked, adapted, extended, or in some other way changed to mean something else as well, so it isn't the fault of the person using the word it's the fault author of the censoring (app?) for not having given it an education, but like most things in today's life it's/they're a half baked job that is called 'OK' and fed to the masses to govern the world.

I feel a better way around the problem of forum censorship could be for a colour* to sit behind the word (those currently on the list of inappropriate) used indicating that if used with other words to form an insult/whatever could result in the user being asked for an explanation and a possible reprimand/ban for abuse, what we have in many censored forums is a game played by some to circumvent the rules, and others being frustrated by draconian rules removing a perfectly serviceable word.

This might go some way to uphold the spirit of communication without the need of direct censorship.

*Yellow-Orange-Red, where Red is a no no, and Yellow-Orange is OK in the appropriate context

As for biscuits? well, 'Parsons Biscuits' are a firm favorite with the old Top Gear team. and I'm a bit of a fan of those guys.

Essentially the people making these content filters need to learn one thing: "Location, Location, Location" - especially as such censorship if sufficiently widespread risks killing off certain words through disuse.

For example, if a word in one context is taken as an expletive, but in another is a legitimate word, like "N*B" can be a male genital, an insult which is why it gets censored. However, even when its going to be used in more innocent uses, as per its original definition, it is a type of handle often used doors, drawers, and control panels it still gets censored. In the last context, you can't use N*B to indicate the thing you twist to adjust the volume/tuning/speed/tempreature/brightness anymore. So in places like in a car forum the radio volume / heater control N*B now gets referred to as a dial. "Turn the heater dial up to three then check voltage across..."

I will do my very best <3
Any chance you can chase up about the Cobra MK4 for Playstation 4 players please?

It'd be good to know the why there was such an issue, and not just "no plans at this time", as we're (mostly) adults and could understand the reasoning why Xbox CMDRs were allowed and PS4 were not.

Any chance you can chase up about the Cobra MK4 for Playstation 4 players please?

It'd be good to know the why there was such an issue, and not just "no plans at this time", as we're (mostly) adults and could understand the reasoning why Xbox CMDRs were allowed and PS4 were not.
I second that, it would be great to know! Thanks Arthur!

Hey @Arthur Tolmie really great to see the increased level of engagement you guys have been putting in it's much appreciated!
I hope you've had a bit more time to settle in now and get used to us and all the team. If you are looking to get into combat like the boys did the other day on Exigeous' stream I'd love to invite you to our discord server and group where you can cut your teeth with the other PvPers. We'd genuinely love to have you, not just as a once off but to come hang out and learn with the gang.
If you're interested I'll drop out discord for you. In the meantime feel free to add me on Xbox. The name is the same as it appears here.
Understand that you are a busy man and won't pester you further but this invitation will always remain open and we are all excited that frontier wants to engage with ALL the different paths in Elite.

Right on Cmdr

Arthur Tolmie

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
Hey @Arthur Tolmie really great to see the increased level of engagement you guys have been putting in it's much appreciated!
I hope you've had a bit more time to settle in now and get used to us and all the team. If you are looking to get into combat like the boys did the other day on Exigeous' stream I'd love to invite you to our discord server and group where you can cut your teeth with the other PvPers. We'd genuinely love to have you, not just as a once off but to come hang out and learn with the gang.
If you're interested I'll drop out discord for you. In the meantime feel free to add me on Xbox. The name is the same as it appears here.
Understand that you are a busy man and won't pester you further but this invitation will always remain open and we are all excited that frontier wants to engage with ALL the different paths in Elite.

Right on Cmdr
Absolutely would love to be involved! My GT is Starbuck CMDR feel free to add me on XBOX :)

Let me reach out and find the answer for you!

-Arf
The Cobra MkIV is an exclusive reward for Elite Dangerous players who upgraded to Elite Dangerous: Horizons during its first year.[2] It is only available to PC players who purchased Horizons before February 5, 2016 (this also includes Lifetime Expansion Pass holders), and to Xbox One players who purchased the Horizons season pass before July 30, 2016. Players who met these requirements can obtain the ship in-game from stations using credits.[3] PlayStation 4 players currently do not have any means to access the Cobra MkIV. Frontier Developments have no plans to make the Cobra MkIV available to other players.

In fairness that is every CM's nightmare!
Effort post:

From CM side a nightmare is giving away something you shouldn't, although it's more likely whatever Dav gave away wasn't like the Odyssey slip up. That was big, but that seems to have turned out really well for player numbers and moral, hype, hopefully translating to some more income for FD.
+ + +
From the customer/player side wanting a long-term and expanding game (and financing it), the nightmare is not getting any information, wonky information that isn't clarified, treating future directions like national secrets, and not seeking customer feedback of a Live game (different than a boxed standalone of yore).

Reference the kickstarter and DDF for a model that could be resurrected and enhanced. And DDF wasn't even given a goodbye, it was ghosted!

Top Bottom