ANNOUNCEMENT New Lead Community Manager - Arthur Tolmie

is we're (mostly) adults and could understand the reasoning why Xbox CMDRs were allowed and PS4 were not.

tbh an adult should be able to understand that ps4 support came one full year later, the days of the cobra 4 and pre-orders in general had long gone and even the base game and horizons were frequently on sale. there has been no paid dlc since so no opportunity to make an equivalent offer has ever existed. that's just life, you may not like it but you sure can understand that. you could have a chance with odyssey, though, so go for it. good luck! ;)

Last edited:
tbh an adult should be able to understand that ps4 support came one full year later, the days of the cobra 4 and pre-orders in general had long gone and even the base game and horizons were frequently on sale. there has been no paid dlc since so no opportunity to make an equivalent offer has ever existed. that's just life, you may not like it but you sure can understand that. you could have a chance with odyssey, though, so go for it. good luck! ;)

Even though I am not a fan of the Cobra Mark IV, I think it would be good for FD to open it up again... potentially as a reward for pre-ordering Odyssey, just like it was originally a reward for pre-ordering Horizons.

The Cobra MkIV is an exclusive reward for Elite Dangerous players who upgraded to Elite Dangerous: Horizons during its first year.[2] It is only available to PC players who purchased Horizons before February 5, 2016 (this also includes Lifetime Expansion Pass holders), and to Xbox One players who purchased the Horizons season pass before July 30, 2016. Players who met these requirements can obtain the ship in-game from stations using credits.[3] PlayStation 4 players currently do not have any means to access the Cobra MkIV. Frontier Developments have no plans to make the Cobra MkIV available to other players.
Spoken like a true self appointed milk monitor, though I and many others understood that from a long long time ago, so unless you've had a private chat with the lead designer I'll wait for the answer from our esteemed and newly appointed Lead Community Manager Arf, as after all, things change over time, especially when the table has been empty for such a period.

Though in all reality I don't care as I don't own a PS4 copy of the game, in fact, I don't even have access to a PS4, I do have access to and have* briefly owned a Cobra MKIV on the PC but it went the way of most ships... the bin, the Clipper's the only gal for me... if when I come back and have a potter round.

*I believe, my memory is not what it once was for unimportant things (no offense intended to the guy/guyette that created the ship)

OK then, as we're doing requests... about this ADS/FSS thing.
Could the panel please rethink the support for an adjusted (made sensible) ADS system that so that the many playe.... you know the rest!

Let me reach out and find the answer for you!

-Arf
1594720389110.png

Greetings Commanders!

I am very excited to announce that I have joined the team at Frontier as Lead Community Manager covering Elite Dangerous and more!

You will most likely get to meet me soon on one of the streams with Stephen, Bruce or Tim, but I thought I would tell you a little about me first!

I have been playing Elite Dangerous pretty much since its launch on XBOX ONE. I focus mainly on exploration and combat, though I tend to let the federal ships do most of the work before sweeping in at the last moment for some easy bounties!

I could not be more excited to join this wonderful team and community at this time, just as Fleet Carriers went live and Odyssey was announced – I, like many of you, have been waiting for this news for a very long time!

Outside of Elite Dangerous, I am a huge gamer and sci-fi fan. I can often be found with my head in a book (I am currently working my way through the Horus Heresy novels), or in a game with friends online. I play a fair bit of Fallout 76 or Sea of Thieves, but one of my all-time favourites is XCOM 2.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask and I will do my best to respond!

See you in the stars, Commanders!

CMDR Tolmie

Welcome Arthur!

Spoken like a true self appointed milk monitor, though I and many others understood that from a long long time ago, so unless you've had a private chat with the lead designer I'll wait for the answer from our esteemed and newly appointed Lead Community Manager Arf, as after all, things change over time, especially when the table has been empty for such a period.

Though in all reality I don't care as I don't own a PS4 copy of the game, in fact, I don't even have access to a PS4, I do have access to and have* briefly owned a Cobra MKIV on the PC but it went the way of most ships... the bin, the Clipper's the only gal for me... if when I come back and have a potter round.

*I believe, my memory is not what it once was for unimportant things (no offense intended to the guy/guyette that created the ship)
That's a rather uncharitable way to label someone you don't know right off the bat. I was just providing the answer as to why it isn't available as it seemed it wasn't really known. Of course if FD want to change the deal and make another 'limited time offer', then whatever.

Greetings Commanders!

I am very excited to announce that I have joined the team at Frontier as Lead Community Manager covering Elite Dangerous and more!

You will most likely get to meet me soon on one of the streams with Stephen, Bruce or Tim, but I thought I would tell you a little about me first!

I have been playing Elite Dangerous pretty much since its launch on XBOX ONE. I focus mainly on exploration and combat, though I tend to let the federal ships do most of the work before sweeping in at the last moment for some easy bounties!

I could not be more excited to join this wonderful team and community at this time, just as Fleet Carriers went live and Odyssey was announced – I, like many of you, have been waiting for this news for a very long time!

Outside of Elite Dangerous, I am a huge gamer and sci-fi fan. I can often be found with my head in a book (I am currently working my way through the Horus Heresy novels), or in a game with friends online. I play a fair bit of Fallout 76 or Sea of Thieves, but one of my all-time favourites is XCOM 2.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask and I will do my best to respond!

See you in the stars, Commanders!

CMDR Tolmie
Welcome aboard, and grats on the role, Arthur. Good luck with the community, they're not a bad bunch.

Hi Arthur, Is there a schedule or frequency like once a month, that we can expect for updates, teasers, dev diaries as FD ramps up for Odyssey release? Or will they be random?

Will there be a Beta?

Even though I am not a fan of the Cobra Mark IV, I think it would be good for FD to open it up again... potentially as a reward for pre-ordering Odyssey, just like it was originally a reward for pre-ordering Horizons.
I can see the logic of offering a similar reward in relation to Odyssey but offering the Cobra 4 would just cause too many arguments. A Type 5 or Type 8 or a medium pad ship from Saud Kruger or Gutamaya or even something from lore or game history would be a much better idea.

That's a rather uncharitable way to label someone you don't know right off the bat. I was just providing the answer as to why it isn't available as it seemed it wasn't really known. Of course if FD want to change the deal and make another 'limited time offer', then whatever.

Yeah, I get kinda 'grainy' when I read the same things over and over, the points you made were 'old' and they'd been done to the death, we all know about the unique situation of the ship and there's been many threads on it with players often metering out the points you quoted to be quoted from a quote, it's tiresome to be honest and unless there is 'NEW' information... like that asked for by the poster it's pointless quoting the situation as it was in the past.

Now, were you to call me a cantankerous old git I would understand, but uncharitable... well I never!

I was just providing the answer as to why it isn't available as it seemed it wasn't really known. Of course if FD want to change the deal and make another 'limited time offer', then whatever.
It was to query if there was a change, as things can change.

Exactly like for Xbox players, when FDev reopened the offer after "closing it exclusively" for PC players, to see if PS4 players can get the Cobra MK4. Yes even 3 years later, the gesture would still be appreciated.
At the time it was made available for Xbox they said it was to give fair parity to all cmdrs, but PS4 has never had that parity.

The thread where FDev seemed to announce the Cobra MK4 offer to Xbox commanders:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259478-Cobra-Mk-IV

Particularly this post by Zac Antonaci:
This specifically is much more about the Xbox Commanders having the same opportunity as PC players had.

Then this follow-up post:
However, to be clear, if we didn't make this available for Xbox players it would have then become unfair to them (as they couldn't have purchased at that time).

Ultimately this should be a positive thing, for the Xbox Community answering the questions they have been asking about the Cobra MK IV but instead seems to be slipping into a debate about the finer points of shorter term promotional offers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom