ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Yes I'm not a fan of space legs.

For me the ideal would be the planets with atmosphere, fauna and flora and limited space legs to walk around and in the ship, to walk in the stations.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷
I used to be of the view so long as the features teased back in the day come eventually I was happy to leave it in FDs hands as to the order and not worry about it. Sadly since then the game seems to have stalled and what features we do have coming in being a shadow of what I expected.
(Eg DDF crew Vs our actual crew)

However this was the year finally for the fabled next update and I was super interested in it.... Until they seemingly canned VR.... (Ok not officially but given how the rest of the not at launch features panned out I am thinking best to expect the worst)

I just hope we will be abel to walk around our cool space ships. That would be something!
Mass Effect - Andromeda style.
I imagine seeing (and taking screenshot) of my avatar watching a sun rising from behind a planet while inside the corridor from e.g. the Federal Corvette...
I'll buy it immediately and in advance :)
Otherwise, I'm not sitting here waiting for another 1st or 3th person shooter...

I just hope we will be abel to walk around our cool space ships. That would be something!
Mass Effect - Andromeda style.
I imagine seeing (and taking screenshot) of my avatar watching a sun rising from behind a planet while inside the corridor from e.g. the Federal Corvette...
I'll buy it immediately and in advance :)
Otherwise, I'm not sitting here waiting for another 1st or 3th person shooter...
do you really prefere to walk around some stupid assets getting bored after the second time, than to have FPS gameplay and mechanics?
I really can't understand the reasoning of some people in this forum.

do you really prefere to walk around some stupid assets getting bored after the second time, than to have FPS gameplay and mechanics?
I really can't understand the reasoning of some people in this forum.
Hey man, some of us find being in space relaxing and peaceful, and hanging out on a starship just enjoying the view adds to the sense of simulation and sounds pleasant. And others want more to do not see. Both are legitimate and fun. Just because it’s not your cup of tea doesn’t mean it’s irrational. Everyone wants to experience space in a way that sounds fun to them. Makes sense; no need to crap on others enjoyment. Lets just hope fdev makes something that we can all enjoy. I’m hopeful, although I expect there will be things I wish were in the update that won’t be, just like there is now...and that Is a bummer.

Last edited:
Sees Arthur log in

Is...is this the day? The day my long quest comes to an end?

1595620135471.png

Last edited:
I used to be of the view so long as the features teased back in the day come eventually I was happy to leave it in FDs hands as to the order and not worry about it. Sadly since then the game seems to have stalled and what features we do have coming in being a shadow of what I expected.
(Eg DDF crew Vs our actual crew)

However this was the year finally for the fabled next update and I was super interested in it.... Until they seemingly canned VR.... (Ok not officially but given how the rest of the not at launch features panned out I am thinking best to expect the worst)
While the DDF was 'aspirational' and had caveats, there is still a lot of gold in there that needs implementing.
Been thinking of making a post on that, DDF design topics still not released or explicitly canned.
Fuel mechanics (hopefully with full atmospheres), Crew (inc. slave crews and mechanical crew), ship-to-ship docking, vouchers and letters of marque, wingmen, and Tier 2 NPC persistence and comms (hopefully with Odyssey), factories as well as stations for buying specific items, better smuggling/ stealth/ bounty hunter/ salvage and piracy mechanics and game-loops (like Beyond did for mining --harking back to the DDF actually with launching probes, heat maps and such-- and exploration), damage models, non-lethal weaponry varieties, player distress calls, 'trophy shops' or home base, deployable structures, malfunctioning hyperdrive/misjump/ dark systems and rogue planets, modding tools, player settlements, original exploration concepts with hyperspace probes and route discoveries, resource market featuring almost the entire periodic table of the elements, News feeds robustness, etc. Lot's of good stuff that is core gameplay still in the old design docs, some of it implemented post-launch.

And this for Power Management and walking about; "when walking around the ship is possible, hermetic doors can be employed to cut off areas of the ship from the atmospheric control, reducing the strain on life support modules".

Arthur Tolmie

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
Call it your end of week nudge @Arthur Tolmie ;):LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO:
Firstly, sorry for the late reply – it has been a busy week!

As I said, I will give you what news I have, be that good or bad, when I have it as I feel that is fair.

The short answer, I am afraid, is I have no other news that what was stated in the previous post: Odyssey will not support VR at launch.

However, I wanted to add some context to this in the hope this will provide some understanding of what that means.

Firstly, we have no intentions of removing VR, or support for it in Elite Dangerous.

With regards to the Odyssey statement, there are as you can imagine, a multitude of factors in play when looking at how the VR experience could transfer to the new mechanics and features being implemented for this expansion. Hence why it will not be supported at launch.

We are exploring many options of how this could work without compromising the quality of the VR experience.

If / when we can find a way of doing this, we will of course communicate that.

I understand the desire from the VR community and I am listening to you.

I will of course come back when I have more information on this.

-Arf

Firstly, sorry for the late reply – it has been a busy week!

As I said, I will give you what news I have, be that good or bad, when I have it as I feel that is fair.

The short answer, I am afraid, is I have no other news that what was stated in the previous post: Odyssey will not support VR at launch.

However, I wanted to add some context to this in the hope this will provide some understanding of what that means.

Firstly, we have no intentions of removing VR, or support for it in Elite Dangerous.

With regards to the Odyssey statement, there are as you can imagine, a multitude of factors in play when looking at how the VR experience could transfer to the new mechanics and features being implemented for this expansion. Hence why it will not be supported at launch.

We are exploring many options of how this could work without compromising the quality of the VR experience.

If / when we can find a way of doing this, we will of course communicate that.

I understand the desire from the VR community and I am listening to you.

I will of course come back when I have more information on this.

-Arf
Good to hear back Arf.
Can you clarify that "Odyssey" will support VR in spaceflight? Or is there to be a new client where one MUST load Horizons to play with VR. Again the answer is lacking specificity, although perhaps a bit better than the original announcement. I don't think it really answers the Odyssey client part of the question.

Edit- btw, you are working quite late!!! Start your weekend already. But props for the post "as promised".

Arthur Tolmie

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
Good to hear back Arf.
Can you clarify that "Odyssey" will support VR in spaceflight? Or is there to be a new client where one MUST load Horizons to play with VR. Again the answer is lacking specificity, although perhaps a bit better than the original announcement. I don't think it really answers the Odyssey client part of the question.
Good to hear back Arf.
I am pushing for answers on the specifics - but I can only give you what I have when it comes in.

-Arf

While the DDF was 'aspirational' and had caveats, there is still a lot of gold in there that needs implementing.
Been thinking of making a post on that, DDF design topics still not released or explicitly canned.

The thing about the DDF is, they (we, because I include myself) were talking about a different game for the entire duration.

That game could be played offline.

So, the usefulness or otherwise of the ideas put forward have to be seen under that prism... because it informed every single response that people made to everything that FDev proposed. They decided they couldn't make an offline Elite, and the DDF game (which would have been awesome) comes under the same category unfortunately.

The thing about the DDF is, they (we, because I include myself) were talking about a different game for the entire duration.

That game could be played offline.

So, the usefulness or otherwise of the ideas put forward have to be seen under that prism... because it informed every single response that people made to everything that FDev proposed. They decided they couldn't make an offline Elite, and the DDF game (which would have been awesome) comes under the same category unfortunately.
I think the majority of those design docs would work with the online version of the game, which FDev very much had in their minds. So, I disagree with this opinion unless you can offer specific examples where offline mode would obviate a specific design feature.

I think the majority of those design docs would work with the online version of the game, which FDev very much had in their minds. So, I disagree with this opinion unless you can offer specific examples where offline mode would obviate a specific design feature.

Ironman mode.
Multiple saves.
The way piracy was supposed to work.
Anything really to do with crew.

Just off the top of my head. I don't have access to the threads any more - think they've probably been deleted.

Ironman mode.
Multiple saves.
The way piracy was supposed to work.
Anything really to do with crew.

Just off the top of my head. I don't have access to the threads any more - think they've probably been deleted.
So, crew can work multiplayer and with NPC crew, already does for fighters to a degree.
Piracy, can work with NPC dialogue tree and coding.
Saving the game, granted yes you cannot save progression at different points in a live multiplayer game.
Ironman could certainly work and the discussion had nothing to do with offline or not.

So, 1/4.
The DDF had a millions of words of text. The link is in my signature but just checked and the original posts on those don't seem to be reachable from the DDF main page archive. I'll have to take a look at that. FDEV have not made it easy to find these and that is a crying shame.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom