Blocking in Elite Dangerous

The ability to simply hide from anyone ruins a lot of potential gameplay, like squadron wars, hunting down pirates and gankers, etc..

I massively agree with that, and - if that was the kind of gameplay you got out of open, I'd be all for it.

However, it doesn't seem to turn out like that when you just allow anyone to do anything.
You end up with a bunch of folks who aren't really very bothered about that gameplay, and just like to see explosions, and say silly things.

If I could guarantee the gameplay you talked about above, was engaged in by people who aren't (for me) just really annoying and fairly boring in their one dimensional personalities - I'd be all up for a single mode only.

Thing is, there's a load of boring one dimensional folks out there - by using the blocking function, I can simply remove those people from the game, and play with the people who seem (to me) to have more than 3 brain cells to rub together.

UPDATE - Thanks to much discussion and the very simple but elegant solution posed by one CMDR, I've changed my approach to the blocking system. I've decided to use it as a reverse iron man, in that once you have murdered me, I'm dead to you. You'll never see me again, because to you, I'm dead and gone.

My current thinking is to only use this for murder that generates notoriety, which would exempt "kills" in combat zones and Anarchy systems (and PP if I were pledged). The obvious gameplay use of this approach is as an anti-griefing tool, but I also find it way more immersive. If someone attempts to murder me in a civilized system, they would be brought to justice or forced to flee that system forever, not allowed to attack me over and over again as C&P currently works. From their perspective, once they kill me, I'm dead and gone, just like real life. You only get to kill somebody once. Of course there's the "I died" in their universe and survived in my universe weirdness, but we each live in our own immersion bubbles anyway, so :p

This new approach differs from my original approach in that everyone gets a chance to "kill" me once (before I was blocking known griefers preemptively), but ONLY once. Pirates and PvPers that disable but do not destroy my ship will be exempt from the "death block" since I'm not actually dead to them.

----------------------- ORIGINAL POST BELOW -----------------------

This has come up in other threads, but I think it warrants its own. I suspect it'll lead to some heated discussion, but I'm genuinely curious and willing to hear arguments from both sides.

Up to this point, I've not blocked anyone, even if they have killed me multiple times. I have been reserving the block for station rammers (which I sincerely believe is an exploit) or anyone who is creepy or abusive in the comms panel. So far I've not had this problem. However, today I thought of a new use for the block - as a tool to "fine-tune" one's experiences in Open in places like a CG. Allow me to explain.

At the current CG, there are often instances full of multiple wings of gankers. Trying to run this gauntlet in a trading ship is "tedious" to say the least. Nor do I find this immersive, seeing that the story of the CG is to save the galaxy from blight that would cause all of us (gankers included) to starve. It's just "blow people up for the fun of it" mayhem, and I'd like to opt-out of this silliness. However, I like the "community" aspect of a Community Goal, so seeing other traders and even an occasional ganker is enjoyable to me. So while switching to Solo removes "gank alley", it also removes everyone else.

Enter the block. My thinking is that I strategically block a couple of the aggressive, zero-roleplay "for the lulz" gankers who are habitually living in supercruise at the CG. Since most of these gankers all end up in the same instance, blocking just a few of them should put me in a separate instance when I enter the system, thus removing this grossly unbalanced "ganker gauntlet" from my gameplay. Once I arrive at the station, however, I should be instancing up with other traders, assuming none of the gankers on my block list are at the station at that time.

I would only be adding a small subset of gankers to my blocklist, as I actually find many of the gankers to be friendly, but it's their overwhelming numbers at times that I find game-breaking for me. This means I may still end up in an instance with a small number of "noble" gankers, depending on time of day, etc., so the game still will offer the risk of Open, but no the impossibility of Open at a CG where dozens of gankers are pouncing on single T9s.

In other words, by using strategic blocking, I can have the best of both worlds, or in this case, both "modes".

Now I recognize this may be is highly controversial. But it's not cheating, and it's better than playing in Solo where I would have zero risk from other players, it's just a mechanism to try to balance out the current imbalance of wings of G5 FDLs vs. single T9s. And, this actually happens all on its own on occasion, since "ganker alley" instance sometimes is so full that I end up in a separate, lonely instance anyway.

Now I do have some questions. First, if I'm friends with someone in the same instance shared with someone I have blocked, which wins, the priority to instance with a friend or avoid a blocked player? I have friended some of the "guardian" PvPers who defend traders, and I'm happy to jump into an instance with gankers if my guardian buddies are there to protect me. Second, what happens if I'm in an instance with a few non-blocked gankers (or anyone), and then a blocked player tries to enter the system? Do they get sent to empty-instance jail, or do I get kicked out of my current instance? This I suspect, depending on the answer, might be the controversial aspect to blocking.

Blocking as a feature is new to me, since it didn't work this way on PS4. Feel free to educate me on the finer details and correct any misconceptions I may have.
Not sure if I can answer the question but here goes: Frontier have apparently increased the chances that you will be instanced with someone you have already been instanced with recently. So you and your friend should get high priority. In another older patch (going from memory) Frontier stopped or reduced the probablity of players that are currently blocked by any players in an existing instance to be allowed in. So I would say that the blocked player will find himself alone in space.

Now I'm curious: I have been debating the evasion mechanics with some gankers on the forums for a while, and their general consensus is that they can't kill you in an a-grade non engineered cobra MKIII. How often have you been successfully ganked? Or do you not want the annoyance of having to avoid the gank?

This is the first time I've been raised from the dead (from someone other than myself). What does that make me?
An old duck that is so old it's dead, and then got necro'd? Some type of undead duck :p
undeadduck.jpg

If I block a player with an FC in a system, I reduced my likelihood of being instanced with them.

But their FC exists in all instances.

I wish I could block players with FCs and NOT see their FCs.

What a clean and beautiful universe it would be.

I would like to be dead to FCs.
Lol I know what you mean. Seeing the odd one knocking about is cool (there was one randomly in a nebula I was exploring a week or so back) but having em all over the place just makes things messy.... It's a funny paradox... I want to see more ships going about their business esp in high throughout systems with billions of people but don't want to see hundreds of FCs..... I guess FD have a tough job of it.
I would be more than happy if I have a FC and it was only visible to squadron members and people on my mates list but it is what it is.
As for the OP.... His logic is sound. It's not against the rules and it IS more believable . IF we are gonna use the logic anything goes in open that the game allows then then that works for both sides I guess......
Personally I just play in a PG unless I am in the mood to risk getting blown up. To each their own

Deleted member 182079

D
Lol I know what you mean. Seeing the odd one knocking about is cool (there was one randomly in a nebula I was exploring a week or so back) but having em all over the place just makes things messy.... It's a funny paradox... I want to see more ships going about their business esp in high throughout systems with billions of people but don't want to see hundreds of FCs..... I guess FD have a tough job of it.
I would be more than happy if I have a FC and it was only visible to squadron members and people on my mates list but it is what it is.
The problem arose as soon as FDev decided to make FC interactive between players (land on it, buy/sell stuff). You have to make them persistent otherwise imagine how things would play out - you land on a FC (if you can find one that's currently online), and the owner logs off - poof you're suddenly on your own, and most likely only after a server error kicking you back to the main menu first:)

I wouldn't really mind non-persistent FCs as I use mine largely for myself (I sell stuff at times, or buy Tritium, but could live without either). Catching a ride to Colonia for my alt account was handy also, but again, I would've survived making the trip myself worst case.

Not making FCs persistent would limit interactivity and FCs are what they are now and won't change, so the best compromise really is a filter option in the system map, and changing the nav panel options so you can filter out other FCs but keep your own visible. I do hope FDev implement this sooner than later, and I don't think it's impossible to do so (although since we don't have filters in the system map I'm not sure how much effort it is to put in that functionality).

Overall though, it doesn't really bother me and I got used to FC pollution in the busy systems - the only time I might roll my eyes is if I can't park in a system because there are no more spaces left. I would certainly be for the concept of 'mooring fees' in certain systems, especially engineers. The longer you park there the more you have to pay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not at all. The anti-ganker squadron is all bocked allowing the ganking squadron to operate without their interference.
Wouldn't that mean that all friends of the anti-gankers will spawn in the anti-gankers instance?

Doesn't that make the anti-gankers more effective when they show up? All you have todo is send a friend request, and you will likely not end up in the gankers instance.

Is there a way to import a blocklist to your account?

No, but you don't need to have met them to block a player. Just search in the social menu & you get options to add as friend or block among other things.

If you block a player your likelihood of being instanced with them is reduced. However if you friend them you will know when they are in the game, what system they are in & what mode. I have lots of players on my friend list, it gives me a kind of heatmap that can be handy :)

I am new to the game as of this summer, and new to this thread, but I'd love to run this thought by some more experienced players and get their input.

Gankers typically camp out in systems. They'll hang at the star, or in supercruise between the arrival star and some destination, or loiter above an engineer's base, etc. They spend far longer in these system / planetary instances than most other players as consequence.

My hunch is that this means they tend to anchor instances, and that new arrivals to the system / planet will tend to put them in the ganker-anchored instances as a consequence.

Because of this, wouldn't it follow that, to preemptively add gankers to your block list means you won't connect to this anchored instance, but rather force the game to create your own, standalone instance? Likely with nobody in it?

I'm just trying to think through how the instancing mechanics work, not do any scare tactics. It's a sincere question about a mechanic that I'd like to understand better.

I am new to the game as of this summer, and new to this thread, but I'd love to run this thought by some more experienced players and get their input.

Gankers typically camp out in systems. They'll hang at the star, or in supercruise between the arrival star and some destination, or loiter above an engineer's base, etc. They spend far longer in these system / planetary instances than most other players as consequence.

My hunch is that this means they tend to anchor instances, and that new arrivals to the system / planet will tend to put them in the ganker-anchored instances as a consequence.

Because of this, wouldn't it follow that, to preemptively add gankers to your block list means you won't connect to this anchored instance, but rather force the game to create your own, standalone instance? Likely with nobody in it?

I'm just trying to think through how the instancing mechanics work, not do any scare tactics. It's a sincere question about a mechanic that I'd like to understand better.
Probably. If there is no other available. Don't know about "anchor" instances. I'd just say they are "old" instances. However the existence of a used instance doesn't mean it is eligible for match-making. Region plays a big factor too. Could well be that Pacifica is unlikely to connect to scandinavia .

Top Bottom