Blocking in Elite Dangerous

I am new to the game as of this summer, and new to this thread, but I'd love to run this thought by some more experienced players and get their input.

Gankers typically camp out in systems. They'll hang at the star, or in supercruise between the arrival star and some destination, or loiter above an engineer's base, etc. They spend far longer in these system / planetary instances than most other players as consequence.

My hunch is that this means they tend to anchor instances, and that new arrivals to the system / planet will tend to put them in the ganker-anchored instances as a consequence.

Because of this, wouldn't it follow that, to preemptively add gankers to your block list means you won't connect to this anchored instance, but rather force the game to create your own, standalone instance? Likely with nobody in it?

I'm just trying to think through how the instancing mechanics work, not do any scare tactics. It's a sincere question about a mechanic that I'd like to understand better.

Yeah, if there's an instance with loads of players in it, and one person you blocked - you won't get put into that instance. If there aren't any without any blocked folks in it, it'll create a new one.

Yep.

Its more complicated than that, goes something like:

Apply 'Block' to create or join instance, if instance available free of 'Block' then join it, unless 'Friend' then favour 'Block' over 'Friend' if player in 'Friend' instance has a 'Blocked' player in it but favour 'Friend' over other clear instances, if already with 'Friend' and 'Friend' has a 'Blocked' from your POV but 'Friend' from theirs the 'Block' stops the player from entering the instance. So its a bit of 'who was here first' influences the instance. May work slightly different on Consoles or block may be more permanent.

Wing should favour wing but 'Block' applies.

It may apply the 'Block' more severely in normal space and SC, Im not sure how 'big' the SC instance is exactly or whether it updates and adds and removes Cmdrs who are too far away or only when they wake out of the instance....At A star am I in exactly the same instance as someone docking at Hutton Orbital until one of us wakes or drops out?

At least thats the theory I think, practically instances change all the time from SC to normal space, especially if interdicting, and then all these factors come into play which explains why some people have issues joining instances to help friends out, someone may have a block thats preventing it, but usually everyone denies it ofc and blames the instancing :)

I'm a big fan of the block function even though I haven't ever used it, you have to be really going out of your way to be a jerk to end up on it (shooting at me while I'm pledged to your enemy or robbing me blind while I'm trying to ferry LTDs through an anarchy don't count, that's me asking for it), and I'm perfectly aware of how it can be abused. It doesn't make sense to me why anybody would abuse it, it would be like "hey, I want to play with other people, except I don't really want other people around", but maybe I'm weird that way. L-rd knows I've been called worse.

I'm a fan because it puts people with poor self-control on notice that they can, if they really do all they can to be the kind of people that nobody wants to play with, end up sitting all alone in their sandbox with nothing but a plastic shovel to talk to.

Actions have consequences. If you're the kid who always kicks other kids' sandcastles or steals their toys just because you can, don't expect much sympathy from me if you suddenly find yourself very lonely. And if you're friends with one of those and find your instancing messed up because of it, maybe consider being a bit more critical when it comes to choosing friends.

I'm a big fan of the block function even though I haven't ever used it, you have to be really going out of your way to be a jerk to end up on it (shooting at me while I'm pledged to your enemy or robbing me blind while I'm trying to ferry LTDs through an anarchy don't count, that's me asking for it), and I'm perfectly aware of how it can be abused. It doesn't make sense to me why anybody would abuse it, it would be like "hey, I want to play with other people, except I don't really want other people around", but maybe I'm weird that way. L-rd knows I've been called worse.

I'm a fan because it puts people with poor self-control on notice that they can, if they really do all they can to be the kind of people that nobody wants to play with, end up sitting all alone in their sandbox with nothing but a plastic shovel to talk to.

Actions have consequences. If you're the kid who always kicks other kids' sandcastles or steals their toys just because you can, don't expect much sympathy from me if you suddenly find yourself very lonely. And if you're friends with one of those and find your instancing messed up because of it, maybe consider being a bit more critical when it comes to choosing friends.

Letterbox trolls and station rammers. Fun the first time I met one dodging the rams and getting past him, boring the second and an irritating chore by the third.

I was based out of Lave where they all hung around as you had to go there to cash Alliance bounties in the first year of the game. After a year of the sad acts I just bin them all straight onto the block list.

The games far better without them in it.

We should all bin anyone who fails our personal Wheaton's Law test. Plenty more players out there who are worth wasting your time with.

Deleted member 182079

D
Letterbox trolls and station rammers. Fun the first time I met one dodging the rams and getting past him, boring the second and an irritating chore by the third.

I was based out of Lave where they all hung around as you had to go there to cash Alliance bounties in the first year of the game. After a year of the sad acts I just bin them all straight onto the block list.

The games far better without them in it.

We should all bin anyone who fails our personal Wheaton's Law test. Plenty more players out there who are worth wasting your time with.
Are there still any players around that engage in this? I haven't come across them in an absolute age, and the last time must be years ago now.

The exception being those jokers who dislodge Belugas in the toaster rack and run invincibility mods (to protest against 'stuff', don't you know), but those are cheaters and end up on my block list by default.

Are there still any players around that engage in this? I haven't come across them in an absolute age, and the last time must be years ago now.

The exception being those jokers who dislodge Belugas in the toaster rack and run invincibility mods (to protest against 'stuff', don't you know), but those are cheaters and end up on my block list by default.

I wouldn't know since I bagged them all way back :D(y).

If only it was that simple mate. Being a jerk in this game usually doesn't go outside the comms, and, as I mentioned earlier, blocking a person from communicating with you would solve this problem.

The ability to block who you want just ruins a lot of potential gameplay. For example, say I get ambushed and killed by a ganker. I get into a wing with some friends and we try to track him down. We finally do, but he logs via the menu and then adds us to his block list. Tada! What interesting and immersive gameplay!

On the contrary, I judge whether someone is a jerk by their actions as well as their words. And in this, as in every game it seems, there are those who wish to do no more than derive their own pleasure by simply depriving others of theirs. If blocking ruins the potential for some murder hobo to be a jerk, great. If it means they can block others in return, also fine - even fewer people who have to put up with them.

Block whomever your want.
I just want my green elite thingies above my avatar back.
I had it for only about a month before this software came to be.

I massively agree with that, and - if that was the kind of gameplay you got out of open, I'd be all for it.

However, it doesn't seem to turn out like that when you just allow anyone to do anything.
You end up with a bunch of folks who aren't really very bothered about that gameplay, and just like to see explosions, and say silly things.

If I could guarantee the gameplay you talked about above, was engaged in by people who aren't (for me) just really annoying and fairly boring in their one dimensional personalities - I'd be all up for a single mode only.

Thing is, there's a load of boring one dimensional folks out there - by using the blocking function, I can simply remove those people from the game, and play with the people who seem (to me) to have more than 3 brain cells to rub together.

FDev has allowed for PvP in the game world but only ganking as a form of PvP. That's on FDev! Everyone knows (even FDev) that gankers will be gankers, but it is up to FDev to design the game so that game world PvP is more than just that. Many ideas have been floated and I am not going to list them here, but instance blocking only makes things worse and is routinely abused by players.

FDev has allowed for PvP in the game world but only ganking as a form of PvP. That's on FDev! Everyone knows (even FDev) that gankers will be gankers, but it is up to FDev to design the game so that game world PvP is more than just that. Many ideas have been floated and I am not going to list them here, but instance blocking only makes things worse and is routinely abused by players.
Actually, I think ganking is the fault of gankers.

Actually, I think ganking is the fault of gankers.
Ok, sure. Duh. But you are deliberately missing the point I think just to be argumentative.

FDev cannot be so clueless as to not know that some people will gank. Yet they designed a game that favors doing just that (gank) and very little else (ship-to-ship) PvPwise. I know some people duel. And there is CQC (but that is not in the game world). FDev's response since release has been to design around ship-to-ship PvP and let it wither and die without dealing directly with it and thereby admitting their mistake. FDev could have easily foreseen ganking as being a thing in their game (and I am sure they in fact did because they are not idiots) and provided some form of compelling PvP (team-based?) with sufficient incentives to encourage people to engage with it (or not). (PowerPlay was a half-baked attempt, but there it is.) But they didn't and players didn't make sufficient use of Solo\PGs to avoid ganking; they just continued to cry about Open having PvP. So instance-blocking entered the game.

Having said all that, instance-blocking isn't just about gankers. Coms blocking, ok, most every MMO does that. But instance-blocking for any reason no matter how absurd is ridiculous and so is trusting the player base to use it responsibly. Ganking is not a bad thing in and of itself (attacking from a position of advantage only makes sense). Ganking the same person over and over becomes griefing and that is bad. If the game could detect that is what is going on, then sure, instance-block the mf. If someone is hurling insults at you, block them sure. Yes, detecting that sort of bad behavior is not easy if not impossible, but trusting players to be judicious with instance-blocking is just as bad since it will be (and is being) abused. I think we all know it is true. Try to separate your distaste of ganking from the issues surrounding instance-blocking as it isn't all about gankers.

o7

But blocking isn't just about ganking or even perceived ganking. You are convoluting two things.

Both actions are allowed per game rules, and both are frowned upon by various groups in game. Gankers need no reason to gank, and blockers need no reason to block. Nothing convoluted about conflating the two really. They both annoy someone.
You really need to remember who needs who though. PvE players don't need gankers, most want nothing to do with PvP at all in the first place. Where gankers need victims. Blocking, menu logging, and mode changing, is the compromise. Or, talk Fdev into giving the PvE players a PvE only open mode, and then we can discuss removing the ability to block, and lengthening the menu log timer in PvP Open.

Edit: I don't differentiate between PvP and ganking. If you got blown up you got ganked. I consider getting ganked an unpleasant experience, but do not consider the term ganker to be a pejorative. Griefer is another matter altogether.

Last edited:

I know right? It's totally impossible for people to avoid ganking people, because... the game... makes them do it.

Top Bottom