COMPLETED CG Protect the Alliance's expansion into the Coalsack Nebula from Thargoid attack (AX Combat)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
1 gauss + 3 shard python works well for me and i have room for improvement ^^
That's my current AX loadout, too, with assists from 2 Advanced MCs. But my Python wasn't rugged enough to absorb my blunders so I rigged my Corvette instead, which is cool 'cause I originally bought it for AX work. And in the words of Janine..."WE GOT ONE!" -- first solo Cyclops kill. Intense, 'specially since I fumbled the Neutralizer and got EMPed :( More learning curve to climb out of.

PS. Thanks for the vids, Commanders, I learned a lot from them, in particular how to throw caution to the wind :D.

Last edited:
Intense, 'specially since I fumbled the Neutralizer and got EMPed :( More learning curve to climb out of.
I've noticed there's two timings for the EMP's release, and it depends on what it's doing when you knock the heart as to which timing you get.
Referencing the video I put up before, there's three main sounds you listen for.

-1. (not a sound at all) you destroy a heart... the Thargoid then potters around a bit before you eventually hear...
0. (not really a sound either) the alert of "energy surge detected" from your computer indicates it's activating.
1. The "wind-up" noise, indicates it's charging.
2. The loud "drone" noise, sounds like the Thargoid is making the noise
3. The "pulse" sound, almost sounds like an SLF launching.

In that video, the EMP releases on the 3rd noise (the pulse)... so typically you'd take down the heart, then a few seconds later you hear the ship alert, followed by wind up, drone (hit the field neut then) and the pulse sound.

But I've noticed that if you destroy the heart when the Thargoid is, i dunno, "moving away" from you (i.e around 1:05 onwards for a few secods, in my video) the alert triggers as soon as the heart is destroyed, and the EMP is actually released on sound #2. It's caught me out a couple times now, but an interesting point to note.

I've noticed there's two timings for the EMP's release, and it depends on what it's doing when you knock the heart as to which timing you get.
Referencing the video I put up before, there's three main sounds you listen for.

-1. (not a sound at all) you destroy a heart... the Thargoid then potters around a bit before you eventually hear...
0. (not really a sound either) the alert of "energy surge detected" from your computer indicates it's activating.
1. The "wind-up" noise, indicates it's charging.
2. The loud "drone" noise, sounds like the Thargoid is making the noise
3. The "pulse" sound, almost sounds like an SLF launching.

In that video, the EMP releases on the 3rd noise (the pulse)... so typically you'd take down the heart, then a few seconds later you hear the ship alert, followed by wind up, drone (hit the field neut then) and the pulse sound.

But I've noticed that if you destroy the heart when the Thargoid is, i dunno, "moving away" from you (i.e around 1:05 onwards for a few secods, in my video) the alert triggers as soon as the heart is destroyed, and the EMP is actually released on sound #2. It's caught me out a couple times now, but an interesting point to note.
Thanks for the tips! In my case there was no COVAS warning, but I did see the Cyc' turning cyan, which per an online tipsheet means EMP is coming. But I'm not yet 100% on the buttons for this kind of combat (mainly because I keep tweaking the Fire Groups) so I had to think for a split second and that caught me out. I did get the Neutralizer triggered, just too late, it only put out a weak signal. Also, I was too close to the Cyc' when it EMPed, gotta learn to keep a proper distance.

Last edited:
I simply ignore the EMP. I just take it.
When i get the message, pop a heatsink, FAOFF then boost in a random direction. The idea is to keep moving and FAOFF does that.
I'm not a FAOFF player, certainly not on XB - but this really helps
Feels like a cheat - i mean FAOFF - apparently when you FAOFF the npc kinda lose grip on their targeting systems and they miss a lot more.

Sure if you can avoid it, you just saved 30seconds :)

Tier 3 currently...
20201115173134_1.jpg

Attachments

• 20201115173123_1.jpg
    20201115173123_1.jpg
    563.6 KB · Views: 140
  • 20201115173132_1.jpg
    20201115173132_1.jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 162
Yep, I guess this one won't see thursday. And I will have to push hard to even reach Top25 :eek:
I hit top 10%, but looks like I'll have slipped again now.

I don't want top 10%, i just don't want to accidentally slip out of top 25%. I want that boosted FSD so i can farm salt by fitting it to my explorer aspX which is fitted with weapons, shields, limpets, scanners and all sorts of other things which don't make for optimal jumps XD

I hit top 10%, but looks like I'll have slipped again now.

I don't want top 10%, i just don't want to accidentally slip out of top 25%. I want that boosted FSD so i can farm salt by fitting it to my explorer aspX which is fitted with weapons, shields, limpets, scanners and all sorts of other things which don't make for optimal jumps XD

Then just participate and don't worry about the reward? Don't let FOMO dictate your play habits. ;)

I'd encourage you to come and take a look at the trade CG. Lots of co-opportunity over there.

Plus we have cookies.

Thanks you for the offer, but it's really the "there can only be one 25% who can win"-attidude that FDev tries to apply to their playerbase that turns me off.
I am cooperative in nature.
And this can not be bought.
If you even suggest a price - like here - this has the exact opposite effect on me.

Plus whats with the players who participate a lot - but don't have a large enough cargo ship yet?
(Rare breed, I know, but lets just assume someone like that exists.)
They could do more cargo-runs then anyone else but would not be able to get into the 25% due to lack of cargo-capacity - is thier work worth less?

If you want me in the boat, it's either everone gets this FSD-Booster, or noone.
I would have been fine with noone, btw, I think in that case I even would have helped with loading FleetCarriers in the bubble - which gives you NOTHING in return, as far as the CG is concerned.

Heck, just make the condition for getting the FSD-Booster a flat number, like x tons of cargo.
In that case I would definitely helped loading an FC once I was done with getting to that number.

Sorry if this does not make sense to you, but I can't explain my feelings any better.

o7

P.S.: Give the cookies to someone who deserves them more then I do. :p

Thanks you for the offer, but it's really the "there can only be one 25% who can win"-attidude that FDev tries to apply to their playerbase that turns me off.
I am cooperative in nature.
And this can not be bought.
If you even suggest a price - like here - this has the exact opposite effect on me.

Plus whats with the players who participate a lot - but don't have a large enough cargo ship yet?
(Rare breed, I know, but lets just assume someone like that exists.)
They could do more cargo-runs then anyone else but would not be able to get into the 25% due to lack of cargo-capacity - is thier work worth less?

If you want me in the boat, it's either everone gets this FSD-Booster, or noone.
I would have been fine with noone, btw, I think in that case I even would have helped with loading FleetCarriers in the bubble - which gives you NOTHING in return, as far as the CG is concerned.

Heck, just make the condition for getting the FSD-Booster a flat number, like x tons of cargo.
In that case I would definitely helped loading an FC once I was done with getting to that number.

Sorry if this does not make sense to you, but I can't explain my feelings any better.

o7

P.S.: Give the cookies to someone who deserves them more then I do. :p
I kinda agree with that , good arguments here. If they give it again (by CG or orther mech) , then it's ok , but if it's one time reward , i agree it's a bit unfair.

Don't forget to help the Trade CG if you have any cargo capacity while you're waiting for NHSS to respawn, or if you have done enough AX combat already.

Carriers are arriving all the time, check the other CG thread for the latest (or the Carrier discord if you use that); deliver 1 or more tonnes to the Megaship (after you have signed up for the Trade CG) and it will help increase the number of people getting into the top 25%.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom