Bruce Garrido has just confirmed on the AMA that First Thargoid Contact was 2849 and not 3125!

All Raxxla questions are being answered with 'Spoilers' so far as expected / rightfully so :)

Raxxla Search Unaffected.
It would've been easier to get info out of the CIA rather than FDev regarding anything RAXXLA. I only asked if it was in game and if it was, was it reachable by commanders now. And all I got was [REDACTED]. 🤷‍♂️

Frontier are not going to answer such a straight forward question about Raxxla, such as if its in game etc.

It might be more constructive to ask a loaded question that FD would happier to answer or complacent enough about not to realise its importance...(doh their watching this arent they!).

It is a difficult situation and one which may be a waist of energy.

Normally the best questions arent so direct, instead its best to give someone a platform, to get them to talk, at length about a subject they enjoy... once their talking you slip in something partly related, digging slowly....of course this takes hours/days. Which is why its not going to be affective in such an AMA session. But I salute those who are asking already, you never know.

Personally I'd like this one addressed again, as I thought how it was approached was a great example...

Or maybe the Yggdrasil tree in game? (doh again)...but how to ask...

They are not going to confirm or deny anything but if we have an assumption...

Last edited:
Bruce Garrido has just confirmed on the AMA that First Thargoid Contact was 2849 and not 3125!

All Raxxla questions are being answered with 'Spoilers' so far as expected / rightfully so :)

Raxxla Search Unaffected.
Saw that you’d got that one clarified! Good work! (Ended up being busy when the AMA was on, so couldn’t ask anything. That particular one was on my list to ask, but I had a sneaky suspicion someone else might ask it as well! 😉)

I’m being drawn back into this possible Rogue Planet aspect of the mystery. I read that back in the design discussion forums they outlined that Rogue Planets wouldn’t show up on either the Galaxy Map or FSS, instead you’d need to be in a normal system that was roughly 40ly away from the Rogue Planet, select the Rogue Planet from the nav panel and jump to it.

Maybe this is what’s causing so much difficulty? Who navigates from system to system only using the Nav Panel for jumps? I’d venture to say most players decide where they want to go and plot a course through the Galaxy map then use the nav panel for in system stellar bodies.

Michael Brookes stated previously, in a somewhat cheeky manner, that not all stars have planets and that not all planets have stars, indicating that Rogue Planets may already be in the stellar forge. I believe people saw files for Rogue Planet too in the game files although that’s all hearsay in my opinion until one is located.

If this is the case then maybe a slight change in the way we navigate is warranted. Although searching for a rogue planet in the Nav Panel is still a momentous task without some clue as to the region it’s located in.

Several years after the fact we still don’t know what prompted Jasmina Halsey and Starship One to deviate from their scheduled tour route. The only reason we received for the deviation in their itinerary was “classified”. Perhaps something popped up in Starship One’s Nav panel that wasn’t on the Galmap, from one of the systems on their tour route, they plotted the jump and the rest is history.

Just thinking out loud here. I’m still a ways off in the black but will check this hypothesis out when I get back and make sure I’m in a ship with at least 40ly range.

It would've been easier to get info out of the CIA rather than FDev regarding anything RAXXLA. I only asked if it was in game and if it was, was it reachable by commanders now. And all I got was [REDACTED]. 🤷‍♂️

I’m being drawn back into this possible Rogue Planet aspect of the mystery. I read that back in the design discussion forums they outlined that Rogue Planets wouldn’t show up on either the Galaxy Map or FSS, instead you’d need to be in a normal system that was roughly 40ly away from the Rogue Planet, select the Rogue Planet from the nav panel and jump to it.

Maybe this is what’s causing so much difficulty? Who navigates from system to system only using the Nav Panel for jumps? I’d venture to say most players decide where they want to go and plot a course through the Galaxy map then use the nav panel for in system stellar bodies.

Michael Brookes stated previously, in a somewhat cheeky manner, that not all stars have planets and that not all planets have stars, indicating that Rogue Planets may already be in the stellar forge. I believe people saw files for Rogue Planet too in the game files although that’s all hearsay in my opinion until one is located.

If this is the case then maybe a slight change in the way we navigate is warranted. Although searching for a rogue planet in the Nav Panel is still a momentous task without some clue as to the region it’s located in.

Several years after the fact we still don’t know what prompted Jasmina Halsey and Starship One to deviate from their scheduled tour route. The only reason we received for the deviation in their itinerary was “classified”. Perhaps something popped up in Starship One’s Nav panel that wasn’t on the Galmap, from one of the systems on their tour route, they plotted the jump and the rest is history.

Just thinking out loud here. I’m still a ways off in the black but will check this hypothesis out when I get back and make sure I’m in a ship with at least 40ly range.
Yes a good point. And if memory serves FD may have said something towards the lines (correct if wrong) 'we know why it hasn't been found', which if correct alludes either to a game mechanism or player behaviour. The rouge planet idea if in game is a great way to obfuscate something.

Maybe the Codex is a clue towards the correct area, as Drew suggested in regards to Tau Ceti, is in fact a strong possibility, we're just using the wrong navigation tool.

Yes a good point. And if memory serves FD may have said something towards the lines (correct if wrong) 'we know why it hasn't been found', which if correct alludes either to a game mechanism or player behaviour. The rouge planet idea if in game is a great way to obfuscate something.

Maybe the Codex is a clue towards the correct area, as Drew suggested in regards to Tau Ceti, is in fact a strong possibility, we're just using the wrong navigation tool.
Correct me if I'm wrong here (I'm a little confused) but hasn't the nav panel got a max distance of 20 lys or something like for an unselected system with only selected systems showing thats over 20lys away. If i'm right then any unsselected system over 20lys away will not show on the nav panel. So a rogue planet at 40lys away will not show in the nav panel unless it's selected.

20lys could still be enough, remember we're looking with eyes from 2020 perspective, closer to launch the galaxy map as I recall it was pretty basic, you couldn't plot very long distances, many of the features we have now originate from Cmdrs feedback.

You then have the issue that FD initially misinterpreted players behaviour, thinking they would travel in a certain pattern rather than fixate on certain systems or patterns of movement. That originally they thought of directing us somehow, to follow missions.

Its not outside the realm ofpossibility.

Last edited:
You could be correct distance wise. I’ll double check nav panel unselected system distances. I still think the premise could work even if it’s only 20ly but it would just make searching for a rogue via nav panel more difficult since you only pick up things 20ly away rather than 40ly or whatever the distance is.
Looking on the Nav panel for a Rogue Planet would still be a 1 in a (insert astronomical number here) long shot. Even if you was in the general area of one. If it was me, I would first have to be 1000% sure that I could find one this way before even attempting such a potentially enormous task that could possibly take years.

Nav Panel - Up to 20 LY with a max number of Systems I think, never counted , but often runs out of space before 20LY and for example near Sag A lucky to get 10 LY showing sometimes.....and youd have to know it wasnt showing on the GalMap in the first place wouldnt you?

Maybe the Codex is a clue towards the correct area, as Drew suggested in regards to Tau Ceti, i

Can you be more specific? Ive watched that many vids and heard that many theories I cant recall which one that is. :) Just that Tau Ceti is 1st mention of Raxxla or something else?

Yea it’s a long shot but I didn’t make this one up out of the blue, this was from the design discussion forums way back when FDEV put out the idea of how to find them. Now, has it been implemented? No clue. We keep hearing about Rogue Planets but aren’t seeing them on the Galmap or in Galnet or anything. I’m just saying maybe it’s because we keep expecting them to show up on FSS or by supercruising from one system to another.
Michael Brookes said the FSS makes it too easy since it has unlimited range in system, so maybe the Nav Panel thing was their work around.

It’s still something I’m interested in testing, not saying it’s the end all be all solution but if you think about it, it’s a simple way to hide these things off of the Galmap and only have them discoverable through the panel.

Maybe this is a viable question to ask in the AMA?

But dont make it about Raxxla :)

Load the question, you only get one question and its likely going to be a yes or no...so how would you fraise it.... are rouge planets in game....is there a function in game to identify rouge planets?

I agree its a long shot, but an idea is an idea and we have a potential gold mine in the form of an AMA thread. Very likely non of our questions will be answered with any thread of reliability, but its better than nothing and could very well exspand our understanding of various game mechanisms.

Last edited:
Nav Panel - Up to 20 LY with a max number of Systems I think, never counted , but often runs out of space before 20LY and for example near Sag A lucky to get 10 LY showing sometimes.....and youd have to know it wasnt showing on the GalMap in the first place wouldnt you?

Can you be more specific? Ive watched that many vids and heard that many theories I cant recall which one that is. :) Just that Tau Ceti is 1st mention of Raxxla or something else?
Its the simple premise that the mentioning of Tau Ceti date gives us a starting point or a circumstance of influence.

All highly suggestive, and one has to believe that ships had certain restrictions (which I'm doubtful of myself).

Again another potential good question for the AMA... In the years xxxx what was the primary form of interplanetary travel, and what was the max jump range...

Yes the answers are likely in game / lore, but there are so many inconsistencies its difficult to keep track. Again this could rule this out?

We already know that Raxxla is in game, DB has explicitly said so in a livestream (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/fdev-ed-relevant-quotes-videos.553526/#post-8671776).
Mere repetition of that question is absolutely pointless, it immediately guarantees that any related questions will be ignored, their Chief Executive has spoken and already provided the confirmation.

He also said (at the same time) that we don’t know what it is. We also have an unconfirmed rumour that MB said ages ago that the system in which Raxxla is located was already visited but the pilot did not recognise/detect Raxxla. I think there is sufficient circumstantial support for this rumour that it is reasonably safe to operate on the assumption that it is true (while still retaining some doubt).

Therefore we do need to know that if we find the system that contains Raxxla: (a) we will be able to recognise it somehow-it must have different characteristics from other astronomical bodies, otherwise there is no point in the search and (b) Raxxla itself is not permit locked-IMO there is no point in searching for something that we cannot visit and investigate in detail.

I think the “we know why it hasn’t been found” statement came from Drew Wagar as one possible memory of what DB said to him some time before. Drew seemed a bit hazy on this and gave at least two different recollections where the precise wording changed, so I think it should be treated with low confidence; however in conjunction with the rumour that MB said the Raxxla system had already been visited but Raxxla was not recognised/detected it is suggestive that Raxxla itself is either locked (e.g. Sol/Triton), &/or disguised as an ordinary astronomical object that we will have to investigate in detail in order to recognise it as special.

Can you please give me the quotation for this reference & I’ll add it into the authoritative FD quotes thread.

Though I treat this as suspect since I don’t think the FSS concept existed during the Design Discussion days.

P.S. I think that Raxxla as a rogue planet is a good hypothesis, we have already discussed the possibility many times. It immediately makes it hard to find while staying within the lore and game mechanics. And it might explain how a pilot might visit the system but not recognise Raxxla, though this is a bit suspect-a rogue planet should not have a star, so any pilot who found such a system should have recognised it immediately. The question is: to recognise it as a rogue do we have to manually compare all the systems we see on the nav panel against all nearby systems in galmap? That sounds extremely tedious, error-prone and unenjoyable. I do think it is a good reason why the Tau Ceti fact was given in the Codex; that is the obvious start point for a search. Starship One crash seems to have been sabotage according to galnet so I think that’s a red herring, but what is the location of that incident compared to Tau Ceti, are they reasonably close? Halsey’s last voyage was mentioned in some detail so that could be a clue to something, though not necessarily Raxxla.

Top Bottom