Odyssey delay - how will you bridge the gap?

• Thread starter Deleted member 182079
  • Start date
Until Odyssey finally arrives, I'll be playing my favorite and most atmospheric imaginary ED profession, xeno-archaeologist, and keep on my current tour to visit all known abandoned bases, ship wrecks, guardian ruins, thargoid structures, and collect all sorts of alien junk to stash on my Carrier until the day Frontier finally gives those item values a proper balance pass.

Interesting examples, as I own both (RDR2 for a few months longer in fact) - CP2077 - 90 hours per Steam, RDR2 about 15 hours. RDR2 is absolutely the gold standard in terms of slickness, but ... I just enjoy playing the former more, despite the issues.
I've kept CP2077 (Xmas present), just want to give it 6 months for devs and modders to make it what it could be. As for RDR2 I'm absolutely loving it (apart from the awful keybinds), as being something totally different to what I normally like (still trying to hunt the perfect rabbit kill - those bleeders are fast), picking plants, bonding with my horse, the random encounters, watching the sun set over a beautiful (slowly being encroached by civilisation) Old Wild West World...

Until Odyssey finally arrives, I'll be playing my favorite and most atmospheric imaginary ED profession, xeno-archaeologist, and keep on my current tour to visit all known abandoned bases, ship wrecks, guardian ruins, thargoid structures, and collect all sorts of alien junk to stash on my Carrier until the day Frontier finally gives those item values a proper balance pass.
There's quite a lot of places I still have to visit, hoping they get an overhaul in Odyssey.

Deleted member 182079

D
I've kept CP2077 (Xmas present), just want to give it 6 months for devs and modders to make it what it could be. As for RDR2 I'm absolutely loving it (apart from the awful keybinds), as being something totally different to what I normally like (still trying to hunt the perfect rabbit kill - those bleeders are fast), picking plants, bonding with my horse, the random encounters, watching the sun set over a beautiful (slowly being encroached by civilisation) Old Wild West World...

There's quite a lot of places I still have to visit, hoping they get an overhaul in Odyssey.
Not trying to convince you to drop RDR2, but if your PC is powerful enough, 2077 is already a lot of fun in its current state (and after the initial week has been rock solid - not a single CTD for a month now) - I've completed it already and have already started a new playthrough with a new character build - very few games achieve this.

And if you have ray-tracing capable hardware, the game is one of, if not the prettiest game in my library. There are rough edges of course, but the core gameplay experience is pretty solid, as long as you don't try to compare it with a R* game, but any of Bethesda's instead.

RDR2 is absolutely the gold standard in terms of slickness, but ... I just enjoy playing the former more, despite the issues.
Like you, I was and am amazed with RDR2, but I only got so far before getting bored. Then I started playing RDO. Funny thing is that RDO is probably less than RDR2 when it comes to gameplay, but for whatever reason it keeps me engaged. Perhaps it's because it is like Elite - blaze your own trail and grind, grind, grind! All in a huge and beautiful world, of course ;)

I've done pretty much everything I can/want to in Elite, so was looking forward to a whole bunch of new gameplay elements that Odyssey will inject into the game.

I moved my carrier to Colonia to spend time there until Odyssey releases, but that will only keep me busy for so long - it would've done the job for another couple of months but I feel like I should revisit this approach now, since it'll likely be at least another 5-6 months (even longer for consolieros). There's a few options in my mind:
  1. Dip in and out of the game, doing the same old stuff I did until now, but play less overall (currently booting the game up almost daily still but am playing other stuff more these days)
  2. Scorched Earth approach - full account reset (I actually bought a second account for this so unlikely to do this, too much to lose, primarily the lovely Triple Elite decal, and my FC)
  3. Rebuild my fleet from scratch but keep everything else (this is a contender but ultimately a waste of mats, and it won't be long until I'm back to where I'm now)
  4. Jump from CG to CG in the hope these keep me engaged (the last couple I didn't even bother signing up to due to their grindy nature)
  5. Park Elite completely and play something else (unlikely, I still enjoy playing the game, but it does feel a bit stale these days, not too surprising given how many hours I pumped into it)
I guess I'm asking for some inspiration to keep things fresh - so what about you lot?

Do you have VR? I busted my Oculus back out after a year and a half of not using it, and have a renewed interest in combat :devilish:

(and carving canyons in my speagle)

Deleted member 182079

D
Like you, I was and am amazed with RDR2, but I only got so far before getting bored. Then I started playing RDO. Funny thing is that RDO is probably less than RDR2 when it comes to gameplay, but for whatever reason it keeps me engaged. Perhaps it's because it is like Elite - blaze your own trail and grind, grind, grind! All in a huge and beautiful world, of course ;)
I tried GTA Online a few times, but the grind in that is something else. Also, cheating is absolutely out of control, and I hear it's similar in RDO, so I'm steering clear of that.

I have to say CP2077 gets a lot of (deserved) stick, but I haven't been so engrossed in a game in a long time (again, this is on PC, on consoles it seems to be a trainwreck, at least on the last gen ones). Been playing this almost exclusively since I bought it at release, and am still not sick of it. It's taken a fair chunk out of my Elite playtime also (even though it's levelling off again now).

Deleted member 182079

D
Do you have VR? I busted my Oculus back out after a year and a half of not using it, and have a renewed interest in combat :devilish:

(and carving canyons in my speagle)
Only just replaced my monitor (1440p 144hz gsync, yummy), and while my PC could handle VR I don't have sufficient interest (or budget) to acquire a headset right now Might give it a miss for another year at least to see how things are going, both for Elite and VR in general. While I appreciate that those who have it swear by it, I'm kind of lukewarm about it somehow. Might change in the future, we'll see.

Very sad about the delay (console) even if I understand the reasons. I was already dreaming about a planetary circumnavigation on one of those terrific looking new icy worlds.

I think I have no problem just going on with the stuff I'm doing all the time but a friend that I play with very often already lost interest...

We are having a hard time finding any titles for relaxed coop play on xbox as a bridge/temporal replacement. Sorry for OT but maybe someone can recommend something, preferably Scify setting.

Top Bottom